Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Chief Savage Man posted:

I'm glad you figured it out and got it done and presumably had fun but the hippo opportunity is pretty simple to kill Rico with.

Yeah that's much easier, basically I was an idiot because when I went there and saw that they had taken out the meat for Master, I never thought to just bring it with me in my loadout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice Van My Man
Jan 1, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

I got that problem too, currently working around it by clearing up some outstanding escalations/contracts as they don't use saving at all haha

Alright, I seem to have fixed the problem. Steps:
1. Loaded a quicksave game from the main menu load option, this one loads correctly.
2. Once the game has loaded, I clicked load game again just to make sure the save slots were loaded up.
3. Went back and clicked on save game, then saved over every single save slot.

I'm assuming this has something to do with a save slot getting corrupted, but now everything seems to be working.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
A guy told me Santa wasn't real so I threw a Christmas Axe at his head.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Ho ho hold it there buddy. You're not getting through.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

so on these featured contracts you're basically just doing time and score attack yeah? i presume optional requirements are a score bonus? I just did the miami one and managed to clump half the people together to blow them up and then just ran around and headshotted the others in public

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Super No Vacancy posted:

so on these featured contracts you're basically just doing time and score attack yeah? i presume optional requirements are a score bonus? I just did the miami one and managed to clump half the people together to blow them up and then just ran around and headshotted the others in public
The way it works is each target has a Kill Method and Kill Disguise condition, and each of these becomes an objective. If you kill the target by the means suggested and in the right outfit, you complete three objectives: One for killing the target period, one for doing it the right way, and one for doing it in the right disguise. Complications are similar: Each becomes an objective, and if you don't violate their restrictions you complete that objective at the end. However, Objectives Complete is only one part of the score, and it's binary: Either you did everything correctly and get the 20k (plus bonus multiplier to the time bonus), or you did at least one thing wrong and get 0 points.

To get Silent Assassin you must of course complete all objectives in addition to getting the remaining ones (Never Spotted, No Noticed Kills, No Bodies Found, and zero Non-Target Kills). However, to complete the contract, you just need to finish the mission. That generally means you just need to kill all the targets, avoid any Complications that instantly fail the mission, and exit the map. You will have a terrible score, but the contract is still considered "complete" (a checkmark in the menu means you have completed it at least one time; an X means you have played it but have not completed it).

The one and only way to force someone to do something on a contract is a non-optional Complication, such as a hard Time Limit. Otherwise you can ignore the requirements and still finish it provided you're able to kill all the targets and leave.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

ecavalli posted:

I would play the gently caress out of a time-travelling Hitman sequel where you're charged with offing various important historical figures. It'd be like an especially murderous Forrest Gump.

I would be so game with that only if they continue to take friendly potshots at other videogame characters.

Like traveling to Florence and killing a famous assassin named Audio Ezitorre.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Nakar posted:

The way it works is each target has a Kill Method and Kill Disguise condition, and each of these becomes an objective. If you kill the target by the means suggested and in the right outfit, you complete three objectives: One for killing the target period, one for doing it the right way, and one for doing it in the right disguise. Complications are similar: Each becomes an objective, and if you don't violate their restrictions you complete that objective at the end. However, Objectives Complete is only one part of the score, and it's binary: Either you did everything correctly and get the 20k (plus bonus multiplier to the time bonus), or you did at least one thing wrong and get 0 points.

To get Silent Assassin you must of course complete all objectives in addition to getting the remaining ones (Never Spotted, No Noticed Kills, No Bodies Found, and zero Non-Target Kills). However, to complete the contract, you just need to finish the mission. That generally means you just need to kill all the targets, avoid any Complications that instantly fail the mission, and exit the map. You will have a terrible score, but the contract is still considered "complete" (a checkmark in the menu means you have completed it at least one time; an X means you have played it but have not completed it).

The one and only way to force someone to do something on a contract is a non-optional Complication, such as a hard Time Limit. Otherwise you can ignore the requirements and still finish it provided you're able to kill all the targets and leave.

ok cool thanks.

anybody got any strats for this miami sabotage contract

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Aeon of strife? Use body piles.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!
So one of my other favorite reviewers did an absolutely gushing review of Hitman 2. For this fellow, at least, this could very well be his game of the generation, and it was a treat to hear him fawn all over it.

But the review also starts with some bad news on sales. Apparently sales of Hitman 2 are 90% down compared to Hitman Absolution. No idea how that compares with the original Hitman 2016.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

It is absolutely baffling to me the degree to which marketing makes or breaks games.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Xanderkish posted:

So one of my other favorite reviewers did an absolutely gushing review of Hitman 2. For this fellow, at least, this could very well be his game of the generation, and it was a treat to hear him fawn all over it.

But the review also starts with some bad news on sales. Apparently sales of Hitman 2 are 90% down compared to Hitman Absolution. No idea how that compares with the original Hitman 2016.
Physical sales in the UK.

Article posted:

Hitman 2 was the other big adult release of the week and it, too, had a weaker-than-usual opening. IO Interactive's stealth game debuts at No.10. The last Hitman title was an episodic digital release, so comparisons are impossible to make. Compared with 2012's Hitman Absolution, launch physical sales of Hitman 2 are down 90 per cent.

Of course, downloading now accounts for a bigger slice of sales than it did back in 2012, and digital sales are (as usual) not included.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Sigourney Cheevos posted:

Physical sales in the UK.

Goddammit, every time I have a consistent narrative about the sales performance of my favorite assassination videogame, something has to just confound it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Xanderkish posted:

Goddammit, every time I have a consistent narrative about the sales performance of my favorite assassination videogame, something has to just confound it.

Let IO worry about it, imho

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Couldn't we get pretty accurate sales numbers by looking at how many people are on the Hawke's Bay leaderboard?

Just add it up across all 3 platforms and there you go, minus the handful of weirdos who bought the game and literally never touched it.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

am i crazy or have there been patches three days in a row

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

also the elusive target is like tomorrow

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Super No Vacancy posted:

also the elusive target is like tomorrow

I gotta fly across country in like 2 days and I'm sweating like a madman here because I hadn't done Three Headed Serpent yet (been just soaking up everything in Miami) and I had no idea about the savegame bug until it just hit me now.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
I'm playing the game on my own pace so I'm still only several levelups in Three Headed Serpent and I don't really like that map. It's big but after Miami, it doesn't look that connected or reactive. And there's no timetable as far as I understand. For mob boss and chemist there are relatively "clear" stories for a quiet kill and they look even too perfect, even though they require pacifying three people on your way there.

Those two kills remind me of Blood Money levels where there was often a single special way to kill someone. I haven't bothered with Mariachi band yet and I haven't discovered the story for the enforcer, but it feels kinda empty.

Also, I'm hesitant to touch Elusive Target because my last two attempts to play the game ended with the game going offline and into an infinite loading.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
fwiw Hitman 2 is up for Steam game of the year and I was actually puzzled by the competition, like how is it not a slam dunk

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

If I buy the Hitman 2016 goty dlc (the patient zero one) do I automatically get it for Hitman 2? I want to play patient zero, I haven't done it before.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Grapplejack posted:

If I buy the Hitman 2016 goty dlc (the patient zero one) do I automatically get it for Hitman 2? I want to play patient zero, I haven't done it before.

If you're on Steam, yes. Think it has to actually be on your harddrive for consoles.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

new elusive target, the revolutionary, is up

it is not sean bean so he's hardly worth killing but whatev

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's a hotfix for the save lockup issue, too.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Goa Tse-tung posted:

fwiw Hitman 2 is up for Steam game of the year and I was actually puzzled by the competition, like how is it not a slam dunk

Nobody takes Steam contests seriously.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh cool, we get to take out Bolsonaro.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

ok so a camera gets destroyed at the start of this level

he has more than one spawn location

e: think i have this kill sorted - i started at the bar with a vial of lethal poison, used the fusebox distraction and stole the bartender's disguise (bump into the guy with the scooter or he'll see you), cause a lockdown (explosion or pistol) then after fat man leaves go into the recording room and poison the wine. probably don't need the bartender disguise but whatever.

easy/disappointing target but

where the gently caress IS MY TRILBY

where the red fern gropes fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Dec 21, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

where the red fern gropes posted:

e: think i have this kill sorted - i started at the bar with a vial of lethal poison, used the fusebox distraction and stole the bartender's disguise (bump into the guy with the scooter or he'll see you), cause a lockdown (explosion or pistol) then after fat man leaves go into the recording room and poison the wine. probably don't need the bartender disguise but whatever.

easy/disappointing target but

I'm watching MrFreeze2244 trying to do it SO/SA live now, and sometimes he doesn't leave the glass if you scare him when he's drinking?

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

What did the grandma say to the frog?

Something racist, probably.

where the red fern gropes posted:

where the gently caress IS MY TRILBY

In the trash where it should be.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

And yeah SA is pretty easy on this Elusive. The method I used, which should be completely safe:

Start at the bar, with a suitcase, lockpick and lethal poison. Restart until the target is at the fishing shanty spot. Get a street guard disguise, I just used my suitcase to lure one of the guys guarding Rico's statue. If you head back now the target is just about drinking his wine, and will leave the building to stand outside shortly after. Once he does so, disable the fusebox near him to lure the guard still inside out, then head inside and poison the wine. Use your lockpick to leave through the front door so the guard at the fusebox doesn't get suspicious of you.

The camera is active and will record you if you walk in front of it, but there's a new spot where you can get rid of the evidence/disable all cameras for this elusive target here.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
Yeah, not the best Elusive Target, especially after the awesome first one. Still, easy SA.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

The elusive target didn't even spawn for me, anyone else get this bug or have an idea on how to fix it?

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?

Nalesh posted:

The elusive target didn't even spawn for me, anyone else get this bug or have an idea on how to fix it?

He never leaves his spawn location (except sometimes to go outside), but he has three possible spawn locations.

Nalesh
Jun 9, 2010

yeah figured that out later, also what the gently caress game I got SASO but a kill was noticed? loving where, I used a poison accident.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Nalesh posted:

yeah figured that out later, also what the gently caress game I got SASO but a kill was noticed? loving where, I used a poison accident.

You didn't exit too soon after they were poisoned? Is the inexplicable delay before poison deaths become unnoticed still a thing?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Nalesh posted:

I can't remember which exactly, but in Hitman 1 if you left the level before Unnoticed/Accident kill popped up, it wouldn't give you the credit for it.

Zaffy
Sep 15, 2003

Pilchenstein posted:

You didn't exit too soon after they were poisoned? Is the inexplicable delay before poison deaths become unnoticed still a thing?

I'm pretty sure it's still a thing.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bah. I failed it because some guy saw me through a wall and I was in a terrible spot to be spotted. RIP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Tip for people who never did ETs in H1: you're free to restart the ET or quit out an infinite number of times without penalty as long as you haven't completed any objectives yet. So if 5 guys are hunting/shooting at you, just pause and restart.