Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Lone Goat posted:

The referee can stop the fight but you, the person having their leg broken, can't stop the fight. :thunk:

WWE operates under prison rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I don't think Apter has a HOF case at all but I'll let anything slide in a year where Park, Jerry Jarrett, and Jimmy Hart get in.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Jimmy Hart should've been in like a decade ago, how did it even take this long?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1075935990831710209

The coward Shave Seltzer.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Benne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzUZwd9yC3I

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

much happier about Gary Hart getting in than Jimmy

and Nagata too

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Let he who hasn't taken an easy money mark paycheck be the first to cast stones

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Surprised this hasn't popped up somewhere with all the buzz GLOW's been getting in awards season.

(And yes, I know AXS has that women's wrestling show that's kinda trying to have it's cake and eat it)

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bryan: Dave put yourself on the ballot now so we can enjoy putting you in before you're dead :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Because he wasn't that great for the last 30 years? He was incredible in Memphis but most of his career he was a mid card manager or Hogan lackey.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I still maintain that Memphis run was good enough to get him in, even if he spent the rest of his career as a parody of himself

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

He got in because he beat aging.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Jimmy Hart should be in every hall of fame on the basis of the American Males theme alone

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Best part of this mornings WOR was Dave putting 2021 voters on notice if Okada doesn't get in on the first ballot

mkay0
Nov 7, 2003

I crawled the earth, but now I'm higher
2010, watch it go to fire
Have the rules suddenly changed, or what?

I remember two(?) years ago, he said over and over again that no one who isn’t a absolute Hall of Famer could ever get in. Today he said Jimmy Hart wasn’t qualified on the podcast that announced his induction.

He strait up said this year and potentially next year will have suspect people. I’m confused.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

There was an unspoken and unrealized "unless the standards of voters changes tremendously" at the end of those claims of non-HoFers never getting in.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

mkay0 posted:

I remember two(?) years ago, he said over and over again that no one who isn’t a absolute Hall of Famer could ever get in. Today he said Jimmy Hart wasn’t qualified on the podcast that announced his induction.

He strait up said this year and potentially next year will have suspect people. I’m confused.

The voters and Dave are starting to drift in opinion

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values

mkay0 posted:

He talked about it some as a combination of older voters refraining from voting more and more with each year, while younger people who grew up during the heydays of some of these older dudes are re-appraising their work and voting for them.I think he was implying that as more wrestlers drop off the ballot and older voters stop submitting ballots, you're going to see people who have been middle-to-bottom of the ballot shoot up or even get into the hall.

Older voters and contemporaries of Junkyard Dog didn't vote him into the hall, but now you have all these 30+ year old wrestlers who grew up watching him during the height of his fame and didn't have to work with him in the ring.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

Granny: What is it?
Bryan: It's uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh...

Alan BStard
Oct 25, 2003

Izzy wizzy, let's get Byzzy!

Go RV! posted:

Granny: What is it?
Bryan: It's uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh... uh...

It also sounded like there an a cut after that, so I wonder what he eventually said!

Also, is the best 100 moments of the year thing out yet?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

Do you think Dave understood "galactic brain"?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
loving how todays WOR synopsis included in their hof fringe discussion "(yes , we also talk about Big Daddy)"

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TTBF posted:

Do you think Dave understood "galactic brain"?

"Well, you, uh, you can't really fit a galaxy inside a skull" *coughs, shifts chair, shuffles papers*

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Tato posted:

He talked about it some as a combination of older voters refraining from voting more and more with each year, while younger people who grew up during the heydays of some of these older dudes are re-appraising their work and voting for them.I think he was implying that as more wrestlers drop off the ballot and older voters stop submitting ballots, you're going to see people who have been middle-to-bottom of the ballot shoot up or even get into the hall.

Older voters and contemporaries of Junkyard Dog didn't vote him into the hall, but now you have all these 30+ year old wrestlers who grew up watching him during the height of his fame and didn't have to work with him in the ring.
This type of thing has certainly been happening (case in point: Sting), but I wouldn't count JYD as an example. He's a case of "actually, a black guy becoming a folk hero and massive draw in the deep south to the point that literal Klansmen had to kowtow to him is such a transformative figure that he deserves to be in the HOF." Even if the Mid-South run was about 5 years (and his drawing peak arguably a little less), he's an incredibly unique candidate who absolutely should be in.

He's hurt from a hardcore fan videotape examination point of view by there being almost zero footage from his first 2+ years in Mid-South and the local promos from after largely not being available, either. His rep as a talker in Mid-South was tremendous, and you can see it in what's available, but with the local promos and the TV from his absolute drawing peak (blinding angle etc) largely unavailable, it's seen as more nebulous than maybe it should be. But he was great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGuOUOb3dQ

Shayna Baszler
Oct 24, 2001

i'll always take care of you
Muldoon

davidbix posted:

This type of thing has certainly been happening (case in point: Sting), but I wouldn't count JYD as an example. He's a case of "actually, a black guy becoming a folk hero and massive draw in the deep south to the point that literal Klansmen had to kowtow to him is such a transformative figure that he deserves to be in the HOF." Even if the Mid-South run was about 5 years (and his drawing peak arguably a little less), he's an incredibly unique candidate who absolutely should be in.

He's hurt from a hardcore fan videotape examination point of view by there being almost zero footage from his first 2+ years in Mid-South and the local promos from after largely not being available, either. His rep as a talker in Mid-South was tremendous, and you can see it in what's available, but with the local promos and the TV from his absolute drawing peak (blinding angle etc) largely unavailable, it's seen as more nebulous than maybe it should be. But he was great:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGGuOUOb3dQ

is Dick Murdoch talking about introducing JYD to the Klan and making him an honorary klansman in this promo

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Hey is there a good reason I can’t login on the board if I logged in to the main site no problem?

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

I had the same problem and had to change my password. Worked fine after that though, but annoying

e: Also to anyone looking, seems like the 2018 Best Of might not be posted until 26th. Kind of sad as it's been my little tradition to listen to it while driving home for Christmas each year.

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 23, 2018

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
Worked like a charm. Thanks!

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

RIP Christmas Observer being a quiet issue thanks to Jon Jones, USADA and the UFC

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

SatoshiMiwa posted:

RIP Christmas Observer being a quiet issue thanks to Jon Jones, USADA and the UFC

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1077018665529163776

still probably found out before gustafsson

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The Bone Collector/one half of Sadkampf returns. Also a Patreon Mailbag preview with a brief sampling of Buddy Landel stories from Beau James.

https://twitter.com/BTSheetsPod/status/1077083354779078656

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1076998962996039681?s=19

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
UFC should return to its roots of being a carny sideshow attraction with sumo wrestlers fighting small karate men. They tried being a legit sport and failed.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

davidbix posted:

I was fine keeping JYD out back when Americans needed to be career draws or lights out workers in major promotions for many years. JYD and Sputnik Monroe should get in. Maybe if you compare their history to the Ernie Ladd boycott Dave will care.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Really enjoyed Bryan giving the “kid who wasn’t listening in class” answer

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I haven't been following the UFC news so uhhh this latest WOR sure was a thing :staredog:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

algebra testes posted:

I haven't been following the UFC news so uhhh this latest WOR sure was a thing :staredog:

Their friend Filthy Tom lost two years of his MMA career because of, and was fired from the UFC a month before being able to return from suspension from, 17 picograms

Jon Jones just tested positive (again [again]) with 60 picograms and it only caused his main event title fight to be moved, along with the whole rest of the card, to a different state on 6 days notice so his fuckup wouldn't get a whole show cancelled (again)

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
So happy for those lads

https://twitter.com/iamjohnpollock/status/1077229024420683776

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbin posted:

is Dick Murdoch talking about introducing JYD to the Klan and making him an honorary klansman in this promo

Considering Dick Murdoch was actually in the Klan? Probably yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Someone's excited for the christmas show: