Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Somewhere in the last two updates my Moto 360 v2 has fixed its battery reporting. For awhile there it wouldn't go below 80%, now it seems to be tracking properly.

I can assure you that mine has not. Post a picture of it on the charger at anything less than 50% as I've literally never seen it under 70%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

LastInLine posted:

I can assure you that mine has not. Post a picture of it on the charger at anything less than 50% as I've literally never seen it under 70%

It was at 24% when I put it on the charger at the end of the day yesterday.

Maybe it was the week I was on vacation and left it off the charger. I had my Vapor with me and I forgot to dock my 360 before I left and it was deader than dead by the time I got back. It had to sit on the charger for 5 minutes before it would even register that it was charging.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Fossil has a 30% off code BLKFRIDAY that can be used on even their latest release with the SD3100 which knocks it down to $176.

I'm weak, I caved.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...
Not sure if this is the right thread to ask this, but I recently purchased a Fossil Q hybrid watch. One of the, like, 10 things it does is point to a number marker when I receive a call/text/notification, but I'm having a bit of a problem. I'm not 100% of all the variables here because it's pretty hard (and annoying for my friends) to test because I have to have different contacts call and text me every time I make a change, so I'll divide my post like this:

What I'm sure of:
-When I assign specific contacts to number markers, the texts I receive from some of them will not trigger the watch.
-It's always consistent with each contact; if contact "noon" glitches, I will never receive a notification from them, but I will from contact "3" or "9".
-If I assign the function "texts from anyone" to a marker, this will work 100% of the time (except when I get a text from a (working) contact assigned to a number in which case the watch will point to that marker, which is normal behavior), so the watch "gets" texts, it's the contacts that are problematic.

What I think I'm noticing:
-Calls work absolutely fine, except for that one time Fossil Q support told me to reset the watch, delete the app and start over again. That made calls bug out for a while, but it seems fixed now, but the fact that they glitched once makes me think that they could very well glitch again, I'm just not noticing because I receive way more texts than calls.
-Apps (facebook, mail, Messenger) notifications work 100% of the time.
-Every time the watch syncs, which contacts work and which don't changes seemingly at random.
-When I use a different SMS app, which contacts work and which don't also changes randomly.

So far, I've tried reassigning contacts to different markers and switching SMS app (I've tried the default Android Messages, QKSMS, textra, Mood Messenger and one other, I forget which), but all it does is randomly jumble which contact works.

I'm also talking with Fossil Q support, but they're kinda slow to respond and keep suggesting variations on the theme of resetting everything, which doesn't work, so if you guys have any idea or, even better, if you've experienced something like this and fixed it, I'd be eternally grateful.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
That sounds like madness to debug. Can you assign two numbers to the same contact? Like putting both
212-555-1234 and
1-212-555-1234
Under the same contact?

I have noticed my phone doesn't pull the correct contact name from an incoming call when I travel outside of the country because my friend's number come in with a country code prefix.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

tino posted:

That sounds like madness to debug. Can you assign two numbers to the same contact? Like putting both
212-555-1234 and
1-212-555-1234
Under the same contact?

I have noticed my phone doesn't pull the correct contact name from an incoming call when I travel outside of the country because my friend's number come in with a country code prefix.

I'll try and see if it helps! Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I doubt it will because all of my contacts have both worked and not worked before, depending on the watch's mood as it syncs, I guess. Fossil Q asked me if my contacts had funny characters in their names, which some of them do (on has a heart emoticon, one has accented characters), but those contacts have worked (and not worked) before, and contacts without them also have not worked (and worked) before.

I definitely agree that it'll be hell to figure out...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

First day with the Fossil Sport Smartwatch.

Yup, it's a Wear device.

Anyways, the good. I got the Smokey Blue 43mm variant. It looks more substantial on my wrist than my Misfit Vapor so I'm happy about that. 46mm still looks better on my wrist though. At the same time though, it's very light. It doesn't feel or look cheap with the nylon base, but it's certainly more casual. The silicon strap is very comfortable.

I like having a rotating crown more than I thought I would. It's pretty smooth scrolling. The two other buttons can be customized to launch whatever you want.

I think the screen is a bit more saturated and can get a bit brighter than Misfit Vapor. It can get quite dim as well which is good. I setup Android Pay on it, but I haven't used it yet. GPS and compass seemed accurate (at least after I spun my hand around to calibrate it.)

So, it's a nice device. It's not dressy, but it's understated enough in it's "sportiness" that it really doesn't stand out.

So....SD3100. Aside from the low power clock only mode, it's really just a line on a spec sheet for all intents and purposes. There's no discernible difference in performance or battery life. At the end of the day, this thing was actually a little lower on battery than my Misfit Vapor, but I'm also sure I played with it a bit more.

So...GOOD NEWS if you have your eyes on a watch deal but were bummed about the 2100 chip in it. It really does not matter at all if you intend to use all the features of the device at all times. It's possible that once qualcomm releases the update for the "sport" mode that there will be battery benefits doing GPS and fitness related activities compared to the way it is now, but it's still not going to be any sort of a hardcore fitness device.

So, it's all more of the same basically. Which really is what we all expected as disappointing as that may be. Wear is going to be little more than a fashion notification device until Google gets off their rear end and designs some silicon. But, this is fine for the $179 I paid for it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Yeah that mirrors the reviews I've read. I'm glad I grabbed a Black Friday Vapor for $140. It's worth it at that price but honestly just barely.

Edit: Turned out it wasn't worth it even at that price as the battery wouldn't even outlast the three year old Moto 360/2 I already had. The Moto might not tell me how much battery it has left, but it lasts for a day while the Vapor got me maybe eight hours with the last hour or so on battery saver mode. Maybe it was a bum unit but given the smaller size, identical performance, and minor other aesthetic complaints it isn't worth it to try again.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 5, 2018

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Is the fitbit versa any good? Gf has warmed up to the idea of a smartwatch since I got my Huawei watch 2, especially for the health tracking poo poo. Obviously not looking for anything big like mine, needs to be smaller.

edit: I guess fitbit is their own thing and doesn't use wear OS. Recommendations still would be a help

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

If it's anything like a Nissan Versa, no.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

codo27 posted:

Is the fitbit versa any good? Gf has warmed up to the idea of a smartwatch since I got my Huawei watch 2, especially for the health tracking poo poo. Obviously not looking for anything big like mine, needs to be smaller.

edit: I guess fitbit is their own thing and doesn't use wear OS. Recommendations still would be a help

I can tell you that the Ionic was a steaming pile of poo poo that died on my wife within a matter of days and never worked correctly when it did function. She ended up replacing it with an AltaHR which works fine. In troubleshooting the Ionic, it was readily apparent that some Fitbits really have issues with Android and staying connected, particularly to Pixels though that may have been because I was looking for solutions pertaining to Pixels so that's what I saw more of.

Sorry I can't be more help except to tell you to do your research first.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

codo27 posted:

Is the fitbit versa any good?

No.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

What are the other multi-day wearable options that do push notifications?

the versa I got my wife for her birthday is a load of poo poo, and really the only thing I bought it for was notifications, which dont work, and the fitness data will only reliably sync if there are multiple devices to sync with.

Im undecided if I should blame the phone or the watch, but replacing the watch is a lot cheaper, but comes with the risk of the phone still being fucky.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Horse Clocks posted:

What are the other multi-day wearable options that do push notifications?

the versa I got my wife for her birthday is a load of poo poo, and really the only thing I bought it for was notifications, which don’t work, and the fitness data will only reliably sync if there are multiple devices to sync with.

I’m undecided if I should blame the phone or the watch, but replacing the watch is a lot cheaper, but comes with the risk of the phone still being fucky.

Garmin Vivoactive 3. Couldn't recommend this thing more. Affordable, looks stylish, lasts a week plus on battery, and has full fitness tracking features plus phone notifications, quick actions, music controls, etc.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

If you really wanted a Wear OS device I imagine the one to look at would be the Fossil Sport.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/fossil-sport-smartwatch-review-2018-11

However it currently seems to be pulled from their website for some reason

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Rastor posted:

If you really wanted a Wear OS device I imagine the one to look at would be the Fossil Sport.

https://amp.businessinsider.com/fossil-sport-smartwatch-review-2018-11

However it currently seems to be pulled from their website for some reason

Not really multi-day though.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

CLAM DOWN posted:

Garmin Vivoactive 3. Couldn't recommend this thing more. Affordable, looks stylish, lasts a week plus on battery, and has full fitness tracking features plus phone notifications, quick actions, music controls, etc.

I currently have this and it's pretty good. It doesn't handle notifications as well as I'd like, and the UI is somewhat clunky. However the battery life is superb and visibility in the sun excellent. It also has the full suite of fitness tracking and can do gps tracking and NFC payments on Garmin's system.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Anyone else here have a Moto 360/2 with a metal strap? Over the last few days, mine went from clasping fine to basically not at all.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

hooah posted:

Anyone else here have a Moto 360/2 with a metal strap? Over the last few days, mine went from clasping fine to basically not at all.

I do, though mine works fine. Did you clean out the goop in the sliding mechanism?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

I do, though mine works fine. Did you clean out the goop in the sliding mechanism?

Didn't see any, but I also didn't look super closely.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Google finally got off its stupid rear end and updated Fit. It finally brought step counter widget back. The only reason I haven't uninstalled it is that it can sync fitness data some what consistently across multiple phones. Samsung fit force you to use only one phone.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I like how Google Fit and Huawei Health will report my 10,000 steps at different times. I have like 130 steps when I get out of bed in the morning, honestly I'd be fine just disabling all that poo poo if it meant the battery lasted longer.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

During my brief time with the gen 1 Vapor, something occurred to me that I didn't think would be a problem but is turning out to be harder than I expected.

I don't want anything smaller than my 360/2 which is 46mm with a 1.56" screen diameter. Is there a good place to compare the screen sizes of various Wear OS devices? Every watch I've been interested in has been way, way too small when I see it in person.

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

LastInLine posted:

During my brief time with the gen 1 Vapor, something occurred to me that I didn't think would be a problem but is turning out to be harder than I expected.

I don't want anything smaller than my 360/2 which is 46mm with a 1.56" screen diameter. Is there a good place to compare the screen sizes of various Wear OS devices? Every watch I've been interested in has been way, way too small when I see it in person.

Here's a link to the spreadsheet from r/WearOS
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1lbKhNnFBARrT5TVo3bkyp1UzT0S5Iahy3W9dAQf_sfc/view

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thank you! This is exactly what I needed!

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
That spreadsheet is a reminder that the smartwatch market is super bizarre. Snapdragon 3100 has been available to manufacturers for months, and while it's only an incremental improvement, the low power mode is a great possible selling point that only two manufacturers are taking advantage of. Of those two, one's making a premium watch, and the other's making two sport models, but those two specific target markets are the exact ones where I would expect LTE support (people who want the best of everything, and people who are likely to go running without a phone and want connectivity), and neither has it. In fact, even more interesting to me, not a single WearOS watch released in 2018 has LTE. Meanwhile, Apple offers multiple SKUs of their watches, with and without LTE support, and from what I've seen a better experience both tethered to a phone and completely untethered. I'm not a big fan of Apple in a lot of ways, but I really feel like this is one of the big areas where Android's fragmentation bites everyone in the rear end. Hopefully Google will figure it out and actually make their own WearOS device this coming year.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
It doesn't help that 99% of android wear users just want something that blinks and show messages/calls notification which your average 30$ smartband does a much better job at than any android wear watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Personally, I have zero interest in an LTE smartwatch because cell service add on for something like a watch is way too loving expensive for what you actually get.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I should point out that my comments about LTE aren't because I think it's a good fit for me, just that I feel the availability is worthwhile for their target demographics that I mentioned.

Also, I think the way it becomes financially reasonable is if you already have a family plan for your phone, so it's only $10-20. That might be too much for some people, but it doesn't seem terribly unreasonable to me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

$5 /month is about the max that LTE for an add on device should cost and even that is pushing it. It's not possible for them to be high consumers of data, $10/month is an insult and $20/month is just pure absurdity.

All so you don't have to carry a phone on you when doing a few activities.

I have to imagine most of the people who own one and have it on a data plan only do so because they got a carrier deal on the hardware. The actual market share of people who feel it's worthwhile is likely exceedingly small.

There's potential down the line for medical monitoring making it worthwhile, but we aren't quite there yet.

Basically, it's not worth it for any wearOS device manufacturer to make a device because the market share is so small. Samsung likely only does it for their own watches since they can use them as promo items with carrier deals.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

bull3964 posted:

Personally, I have zero interest in an LTE smartwatch because cell service add on for something like a watch is way too loving expensive for what you actually get.

I 100% agreed with this thought process when I was using T-Mobile, but now I've switched to Google Fi and they offer free data-only SIMs. No monthly fee, just pay for data out of your standard pool.

I'm still not sure what I'd actually use a LTE capable watch for, but now the thought is in my mind and the use case only needs to justify the device itself, not any service charge. If I were a runner or something like that where being able to leave my phone behind would be a significant benefit it'd be a no brainer.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Unless the LTE antenna can improve GPS accuracy, its no use for me either.

concise
Aug 31, 2004

Ain't much to do
'round here.

bull3964 posted:

$5 /month is about the max that LTE for an add on device should cost and even that is pushing it. It's not possible for them to be high consumers of data, $10/month is an insult and $20/month is just pure absurdity.

$0/mo is the only reasonable cost. SIMs are cheap and you're already paying for the data anyway.

Switch to Google Fi.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm on the lookout for a potential new smartwatch, I currently own a Huawei Watch 2 and I'm pretty happy with it, I just want something that I could wear in more "formal", elegant settings; not necessarily "dress required" settings, but let's say business environments. The Huawei Watch 2 looks like a Casio G-Shock, I love it but it just doesn't go along with even casual-formal wear.

The one thing it has to do is notifications, I need to know who's calling/emailing/texting me at a glance and read the first few words of the message to see if it's important or not. I don't need fitness, GPS, 4G and so on. Many bonus points if the battery lasts more than one full day (which is the minimum requirement, can't be arsed recharging the thing every 4-6 hours).

Also it should not cost a fortune. What's out there that meets these requirements?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

TorakFade posted:

I'm on the lookout for a potential new smartwatch, I currently own a Huawei Watch 2 and I'm pretty happy with it, I just want something that I could wear in more "formal", elegant settings; not necessarily "dress required" settings, but let's say business environments. The Huawei Watch 2 looks like a Casio G-Shock, I love it but it just doesn't go along with even casual-formal wear.

The one thing it has to do is notifications, I need to know who's calling/emailing/texting me at a glance and read the first few words of the message to see if it's important or not. I don't need fitness, GPS, 4G and so on. Many bonus points if the battery lasts more than one full day (which is the minimum requirement, can't be arsed recharging the thing every 4-6 hours).

Also it should not cost a fortune. What's out there that meets these requirements?

If you just need formal design, notification and lots of battery time, maybe the withings hybrid watches will do? https://www.withings.com/it/en/steel-hr

My huawei watch 1, once the battery connectors finally croaks, won't be replaced by another AW since now they all look like cheap gshocks wannabes with gently caress all battery life.

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 4, 2019

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

TorakFade posted:

I would recommend the TicWatch Pro and/or the Samsung Gear S Classic for that not quite formal, not quite casual look. Both are around $200.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Misfit Vapor is so fairly plain so works okay with formal wear. Maybe get a metal or leather strap. Though Misfit's own leather straps are a bit cheap feeling.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TorakFade posted:

It's a 100% sidegrade, but the Huawei Watch 2 Classic looks semi-dressy.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Everything's a sidegrade at this point.

If you want a used good condition Armani I might be selling. Went deep into the old timey mechanical watch money pit so not wearing it much anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

The craziest fuckin thing just now. I work in a fairly big building, 4 floors. My office is on the ground level, and staff offices are in the back behind a lot of concrete walls such that we get poor cell service. I leave my phone on my desk to go up to the 4th floor, and I get a loving text notification from my phone 4 floors down! Was even able to voice dictate a reply. What kind of witchcraft was this? (P20 Pro/Huawei watch 2)