Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
Hmmmmm...

Intel Plans Ghost Canyon X NUC with Discrete Graphics in 2020

quote:

The Ghost Canyon X NUC will be powered by 9th Generation Coffee Lake HR processors that will come in i5 and i7 flavors. The chips have a 45W TDP and will come in quad core i5-9XXXH, six core i7, or eight core i7-9XXXH configurations (with HyperThreading) and will be paired with two DDR4 DIMMs (up to 64GB DDR4 2400 MHz or 32GB DDR4 2666 MHz). Ghost Canyon X NUCs will have three HDMI 2.0 video outputs, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, and a SD card slot for external I/O (likely along with USB 3.1 and audio outputs though those are not pictured). Internal storage includes up to 3 M.2 drives (two M.2 2242 80/110 and one 80mm) using PCI-E 3.0 x4 links and SATA 3 for standard hard drives and SATA SSDs. The biggest change with the NUC platform is the inclusion of a single PCI-E x16 slot which can be used to add a discrete graphics card to the system.

Quite a ways away of course, but an interesting wrinkle for extremely small SFF systems while overcoming the NUC's biggest disadvantage for being used as a high-end system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Well, Macs have Mac Minis now and have pretty stellar eGPU support they might as well do something to up the small form factor game.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Hmmmmm...

Intel Plans Ghost Canyon X NUC with Discrete Graphics in 2020

Quite a ways away of course, but an interesting wrinkle for extremely small SFF systems while overcoming the NUC's biggest disadvantage for being used as a high-end system.

Pretty cool indeed, the PCIe slot really was the biggest hurdle to have something high-end that's smaller than mini-itx. Well there was mini-stx, but with the unavailability of MCM gpus (sadly) it was pretty much a fringe phenomenon.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
It’s too bad that I’ll just go with an external GPU anyway because a 1080 Ti Hybrid will not fit in that case without some serious surgery. Also, I highly doubt that Keras and Tensorflow will be ported reliably and quickly enough for me at that point to care. As such, such a NUC model really is only of interest for me in a pure gaming system and generally the same GPUs that are tops for machine learning are also top performers for games anyway.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Now that I've converted my Mini-ITX PC into an Unraid NAS, I'd love to see more boutique TB3 eGPU enclosures that are as well-built as a DanCase or NCASE. Even if there's a small performance hit and it doesn't save me much money , I'm pretty set on eventually grabbing an eGPU enclosure instead of building another MITX gaming PC.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I like the idea of an eGPU to plug a laptop into but checking them out they seem to be the same size as an ITX system at the moment? They're a lot bigger than I was expecting.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/external-graphics-card-enclosures

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

knox_harrington posted:

I like the idea of an eGPU to plug a laptop into but checking them out they seem to be the same size as an ITX system at the moment? They're a lot bigger than I was expecting.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/external-graphics-card-enclosures

All the ones that I've seen have built-in PSUs, which is I guess fair enough, because how else are you gonna power your GPU? It's either that or one big rear end 200+ watt external power brick. But then the thickness of GPU + PSU times the length of a full-size GPU is pretty much the same as a Dan A4.

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"
I love the Mini ITX form factor; you have to choose your components carefully, but you can make some great SFF computers with it.

Here's Ganesha, my personal NAS. It's got an ASRock Rack Mini ITX mobo, Intel Core i5-4670K CPU, IBM 1015 SAS card, 6 x 4TB HDDs and 2 SSDs (one for the system drive, one for read cache) and a Norco ITX-S8 hot-swap case that's about the size of a small speaker. It runs Ubuntu 18.04 with ZFS and I use it for Samba/CIFS shares, backup (Time Machine for my and my partner's laptops), media storage thru Plex Media Server, Git repos, virtual environments and more.

I wish there were more good Mini ITX server boards; AFAIK ASRock Rack is the only one who makes them.

stray fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Dec 22, 2018

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
Xeon D series CPUs (and accompanying motherboards) are available in mini ITX. The thing to watch for is that the latest Xeon D series (D-2100 and such) are rather expensive and really not suitable for most home users, especially given the price range on them.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

stray posted:

I wish there were more good Mini ITX server boards; AFAIK ASRock Rack is the only one who makes them.

SuperMicro

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

necrobobsledder posted:

Xeon D series CPUs (and accompanying motherboards) are available in mini ITX. The thing to watch for is that the latest Xeon D series (D-2100 and such) are rather expensive and really not suitable for most home users, especially given the price range on them.

I have an AsRock board with a D-1541 (8 core/16thread). You can often find good deals on them on Ebay from server pulls (Datto servers in particular show up a lot).

45w TDP and a great, even slightly overpowered, SOC for file and media servers. Great for Plex or Emby, and other home media stuff. I run mine with FreeNAS.

The 4 core/8 thread version is the 1521, also very good, and can be found even cheaper. Remember Xeon-D is an SOC, meaning it's the chipset and CPU in one, bundled with the motherboard.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

There's a brand that makes something called the puck, which uses an mxm gpu, and is much smaller than normal egpus, but considering the gpu is about half the size of a dancase any normal sized egpu is going to be about half that. I'm surprised there are no 17 cm gpu egpus, since thunderbolt connection is the limiting factor.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Salted_Pork posted:

There's a brand that makes something called the puck, which uses an mxm gpu, and is much smaller than normal egpus, but considering the gpu is about half the size of a dancase any normal sized egpu is going to be about half that. I'm surprised there are no 17 cm gpu egpus, since thunderbolt connection is the limiting factor.

It was actually listed in that link:- Sonnet is the make.
However, it costs £516. For a Radeon RX 560.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

stray posted:

I love the Mini ITX form factor; you have to choose your components carefully, but you can make some great SFF computers with it.

Here's Ganesha, my personal NAS. It's got an ASRock Rack Mini ITX mobo, Intel Core i5-4670K CPU, IBM 1015 SAS card, 6 x 4TB HDDs and 2 SSDs (one for the system drive, one for read cache) and a Norco ITX-S8 hot-swap case that's about the size of a small speaker. It runs Ubuntu 18.04 with ZFS and I use it for Samba/CIFS shares, backup (Time Machine for my and my partner's laptops), media storage thru Plex Media Server, Git repos, virtual environments and more.

Welp, I know what I'm eventually going to do when I fill up my 4-bay NAS with 10TB drives - pick up one of those cases and a 4xSATA PCI-E card.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I posted this in the GPU thread and I really should have here. These are my experiences with the SG13 case. I had been using a Silverstone RVZ02B but it was getting torn up with all the wacky crap I did to it. I loved it, and still do (that style of case is extremely easy to work with), but I wanted a radiator spot without taking up too much volume. A lot of the options in this space seems oddly expensive but the SG13 came through at a price actually lower than I wanted to spend.

Important parts are FE 2080ti with modified NZXT G12 bracket, Corsair H50 quiet AIO, and a 9700k using a Cryorig C1 with a replacement 140mm Prolimatech fan as the Cryorig one had bad bearings for a long time now. Also I have delidded and lapped the CPU die and used a larger copper IHS since I was 100% certain CPU temps were going to be the weakest point.Pretty tall order for this tiny case

Lapping these parts was far more helpful than I thought it would be. A verifiable drop across the board by a ~3-5 degrees, dont know where the real bottleneck was though.

Modified G12 bracket. I had to cut off the little leg of the L shape of the bracket completely off and make some notches for power plug clips and hose routing.

Had to install the bare PCB first then maneuver the bracket and water block onto it from there. Not the most fun I've ever had, and for other reasons I've done this like 8 times now

Tight fit

Love the end result though. Those are 13" ultrabooks stacked there for size comparison

I wasn't entirely sure I could actually make this fit with the GPU. It was possible in theory, but very nearly almost impossible in reality. But with the cuts it fits just fine so this ended up being very economical to water cool this GPU, I had no interest in an open loop setup just to make this fit.

For thermals I removed the factory 120mm AIO fan and sandwiched two Noctua 120mm slim fans. This turned out to be key, the H50 could not keep up in this environment. Others may be just fine stock though. With the 2 new fans it works perfectly. I have it setup to run nearly silent but it still never throttles even under a heavy long load topping out at 77* with a max overclock. The CPU on the other hand hits 80*, which is fine, but its currently just stock at 4.6 ghz all cores. I will try to work on this a bit but I knew I'd be giving up top end CPU clocks with this case.

The effort difference between this case and the RVZ02B is pretty extreme. The RVZ02B, and presumably all stacked chamber style designs, was literally easier to build in than a normal case. This SG13 was the polar opposite due to its more traditional layout. But the end result was absolutely worth it and I already love the little thing. For $40 its a real winner in my book. Nothing is particularly nice about it if you ignore price but it delivers on every front without any glaring faults.

4 out of 4.75 stars would buy again

A weird quirk about the G12 bracket, not sure if this is common knowledge but it does work with the RTX card perfectly - if you use the AMD bracket. Its really bizarre but other people have found the same thing elsewhere as well when I looked it up.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Great trip report 1gnoirents! I also did an SG13 build a few years ago, and will echo that it's a really good case considering the price.

ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
Core i5-3570K
EVGA GTX 970
Corsair H60 CPU cooler
Silverstone 600w SFX-L power supply
Sandisk Extreme Pro 2.5" SSD
WD Blue 1TB 3.5" HDD (yes, I even crammed a 3.5" HDD into it)

Here are my build pics if anyone's interested. The order you put the components in matters a lot. I took it apart and put it back together a few times before I had everything how I wanted it.
https://imgur.com/a/ejmyy4m

I ended up selling it and going back to ATX because I had a use case for additional PCIe slots. Heresy, I know :)

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
I'm already planning something dumb. I lasted one whole day. I'm going to mount a radiator on top of the case and route the hoses to the CPU through the back probably through a grommet I'll have to put in.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
So, Dan is changing the C4 case again.

He's considering a flexible case layout that can both accommodate the original stacked/sandwich setup as well as a classic setup similar to the Ncase M1. This flexible layout would mainly require an increase in width to 140 mm (with special angled power connectors) or 149 mm.

IMO this would make much more sense than the limited original design that only played well with AIOs and still had cooler/GPU size limits close to the A4. With the flexible setup you can fit up to a 3-slot GPU (width is going to be the limiting factor here) and bigger top-down or even small tower coolers (he mentions the Noctua C14 and U9S).

He also had someone from SFFLab over to test his C4 prototype and both said the original layout and size is a pain to build in, and even though the measurements would allow for custom loops and 2.5-slot GPUs those are basically impossible to fit.

In other news, EKL hosed up manufacturing of the Alpenföhn Black Ridge (the cooler that's loosely based on Dan's HSLP-48 project) and although it was released in late November, the fixed batch is still nowhere to be seen. Apparently it should come out towards the end of February but we'll see. I sent mine back before ever using it, because 5 out of 6 heatpipes were only barely soldered to the base plate.

E: Also, apparently Asetek is making a new compact AIO (replacement or upgrade to the 545LC) which should help in the A4 and other cases of similar size.

orcane fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 15, 2019

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

Got to say the Dan-A4 is a really nice case. It's very well designed and constructed, and easy to build in.

A couple of things I thought I'd mention about the parts I bought: the Corsair SF600 platinum comes with individually sleeved cables which I guess are the premium cable kit. They are still a bit long for this case so I am planning to do some shortening. I'd read that the SF power supplies were noisy but this thing hasn't even spun its fan up that I've noticed.

The second thing is the Cryorig C7 which was pretty annoying initially. The fan is right up next to the side of the case and makes an unpleasant buzzy noise due to turbulence at higher fan speeds, so even after a couple of days I was thinking about how to unfuck it.

When I looked at the fan settings in the bios the cpu fan curve was pretty aggressive, after a bit of an adjustment the noise is no longer a problem. I also undervolted the cpu a bit and it sits in the 40s at idle and high 60s under load.

The 1070ti is happy at a slight OC (2000) / undervolt as well. I have one of the slim Noctuas running as a case exhaust fan on the bottom, it was intended for the Asetek AIO but they don't seem to exist any more and the current setup seems fine in any case. I'm not sure it this is doing all that much but I figured it couldn't hurt.

Final config:
Dan-A4 v3
Corsair SF600 platinum
i5-8700 non-K with a -0.80V offset (I have some questions about some extra settings I'll take to the Intel thread)
Cryorig C7 standard version
16GB DDR4-3466
Samsung 970 EVO 1tb nvme + 860 EVO 500gb sata
MSI gaming 1070ti 8gb with the voltage curve set to hit 2000mhz max starting at 0.975V
Alienware AW3418DW
e: oh yeah MB is Asrock Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac

I built most of a Dan-A4 system late last year and when my old graphics card died and I was running off the Intel iGPU it was basically silent. The Noctua NH-L9i is quieter than the WD Red spinning disk in my passively cooled fileserver in the same room.

This is what I have now:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card
Case: DAN Cases - A4-SFX V3-B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone - 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 12:44 GMT+0000

The Radeon VII fits much better than my old HD7970 where I had to take the backplate off (which is probably what killed it, I thought I could get away without re-pasting the heatsink and I did for about 3 months) and temperatures are fine. It's very loud under load but that's a problem with the card in a normal case too and it gets much better with a small undervolt.

I tried fitting an Asetek AIO but I couldn't get the pipes to fit over my RAM so I gave up after accidentally snapping the USB3 header off my motherboard trying to squeeze everything in.

I'm really happy with the case now, although if you asked me during the 2 days I spent trying to get my original set of components to fit you'd have got a very different answer.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Yeep posted:

I built most of a Dan-A4 system late last year and when my old graphics card died and I was running off the Intel iGPU it was basically silent. The Noctua NH-L9i is quieter than the WD Red spinning disk in my passively cooled fileserver in the same room.

This is what I have now:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9i 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - TridentZ RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon VII 16 GB Video Card
Case: DAN Cases - A4-SFX V3-B Mini ITX Desktop Case
Power Supply: Silverstone - 600 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-02-15 12:44 GMT+0000

The Radeon VII fits much better than my old HD7970 where I had to take the backplate off (which is probably what killed it, I thought I could get away without re-pasting the heatsink and I did for about 3 months) and temperatures are fine. It's very loud under load but that's a problem with the card in a normal case too and it gets much better with a small undervolt.

I tried fitting an Asetek AIO but I couldn't get the pipes to fit over my RAM so I gave up after accidentally snapping the USB3 header off my motherboard trying to squeeze everything in.

I'm really happy with the case now, although if you asked me during the 2 days I spent trying to get my original set of components to fit you'd have got a very different answer.

Thank you for buying a Radeon VII. Fighting the good fight. We need competition, after all.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Feb 16, 2019

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I've built my PCs forever, but the Corsair One is looking attractive. The price premium is relatively low for the i160 -- I get to $3200 for the same components in an NZXT H200 -- and the vertical form factor means I can shove it behind the monitor on my smallish desk.

I'd still rather get a Z390 chipset and not have to immediately upgrade the SSD, though. Are there any cool cases I should take a close look at before I give up and order? I'd want a 9700 or 9900, 2080 TI, and as close to dead silence and maintenance free operation as possible, in an SFF.

I can't believe I'm considering pre-built. Feels dirty.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

KS posted:

I've built my PCs forever, but the Corsair One is looking attractive. The price premium is relatively low for the i160 -- I get to $3200 for the same components in an NZXT H200 -- and the vertical form factor means I can shove it behind the monitor on my smallish desk.

I'd still rather get a Z390 chipset and not have to immediately upgrade the SSD, though. Are there any cool cases I should take a close look at before I give up and order? I'd want a 9700 or 9900, 2080 TI, and as close to dead silence and maintenance free operation as possible, in an SFF.

I can't believe I'm considering pre-built. Feels dirty.

Evolv shift from Phanteks might be worth a look. http://www.phanteks.com/Enthoo-Evolv-Shift.html

However it’s still gonna be bigger than Corsair One. I gotta admit the Corsair One has my attention too.

Coredump fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Feb 16, 2019

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

orcane posted:

So, Dan is changing the C4 case again.

He's considering a flexible case layout that can both accommodate the original stacked/sandwich setup as well as a classic setup similar to the Ncase M1. This flexible layout would mainly require an increase in width to 140 mm (with special angled power connectors) or 149 mm.

IMO this would make much more sense than the limited original design that only played well with AIOs and still had cooler/GPU size limits close to the A4. With the flexible setup you can fit up to a 3-slot GPU (width is going to be the limiting factor here) and bigger top-down or even small tower coolers (he mentions the Noctua C14 and U9S).

He also had someone from SFFLab over to test his C4 prototype and both said the original layout and size is a pain to build in, and even though the measurements would allow for custom loops and 2.5-slot GPUs those are basically impossible to fit.

In other news, EKL hosed up manufacturing of the Alpenföhn Black Ridge (the cooler that's loosely based on Dan's HSLP-48 project) and although it was released in late November, the fixed batch is still nowhere to be seen. Apparently it should come out towards the end of February but we'll see. I sent mine back before ever using it, because 5 out of 6 heatpipes were only barely soldered to the base plate.

E: Also, apparently Asetek is making a new compact AIO (replacement or upgrade to the 545LC) which should help in the A4 and other cases of similar size.

I won’t be building a new SFF for a year or two, but I’m really hoping NCases’s Sidearm comes to fruition by then.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What's the best air cooler, at or below 145mm height?

Cryorig h7 plus? It's for a 2700x in a streacom da2.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Feb 17, 2019

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

What's the best air cooler, at or below 145mm height?

Cryorig h7 plus? It's for a 2700x in a streacom da2.

I can see the Streacom DA2 has a side panel with holes... a Noctua NH-C14S might be a good fit - pulling cold air directly from the side down onto the CPU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

HalloKitty posted:

I can see the Streacom DA2 has a side panel with holes... a Noctua NH-C14S might be a good fit - pulling cold air directly from the side down onto the CPU

Good call. That'll do it, ordered. Thank you!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Phone posted:

Good stuff, good stuff.

I was looking at mimicking another poster in here’s setup, but I think they mentioned they were running a 8700k with a Noctua cooler. The skeleton I have in mind is:
- Nano S case
- Nvidia 2070
- Corsair’s SFX 600 Platinum w/ Silverstone bracket

I haven’t seen too many people talk about this, but is it possible to have a near silent (~30ish dB) air cooled SFF setup?

Also, no one makes a 2TB NVMe drive or the monitor I want to replace my two Dell 2412s. :smith:

Hi, back again, but now with parts:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($525.89 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($89.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - Z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($183.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($219.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: HP - EX920 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB XC GAMING Video Card ($549.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($67.25 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.00 @ Newegg)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A15 PWM 140mm Fan ($21.95 @ Amazon)
Case Fan: Noctua - NF-A12x25 PWM 60.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($29.90 @ Amazon)
Other: SilverStone Technology Universal ATX to SFX Power Supply Bracket RL-PP08B ($10.68 @ Amazon)

Is there anything here that looks like it won't work? Should I go with the NH-D15 or NH-D15S? Do I need to power supply extension cables with the new platinum rated SF600?

Thanks.

e: changed the video card from XC ultra to XC because 3 slots vs 2

Phone fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Feb 24, 2019

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x8ulycrzQc

This is a thing that just went live on Kickstarter.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

Magnetic side panels are interesting. Probably no good if you want to travel with it, but simplifies the construction a bit. Seems like a pretty good channel too btw. So nice to have someone who doesn't just yell all the time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Phone posted:

Hi, back again, but now with parts:
Since you lamented the lack of 2TB drives, Intel makes a 2TB NVMe drive now, the 660p. It's not the fastest drive around (for an NVMe), but on the other hand it's pretty cheap per GB.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Collateral Damage posted:

Since you lamented the lack of 2TB drives, Intel makes a 2TB NVMe drive now, the 660p. It's not the fastest drive around (for an NVMe), but on the other hand it's pretty cheap per GB.

I'm replacing the HP EX920 with a Samsung 970 Evo Plus in April.

I got in some parts just now, and I think the box for the NH-D15 might be marginally smaller than that Nano S case lol

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The SF600 Platinum also comes with the comically short 300mm ATX cable.

Phone fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Mar 2, 2019

Fenom
Mar 23, 2007
I bought the Node 304 case and I’m going to pick up a GPU tomorrow, I know it fits a 2 slot but I was wondering if I could squeeze this fatty in there https://www.microcenter.com/product/601929/rog-strix-geforce-rtx-2060-overclocked-triple-fan-6gb-gddr6-pcie-video-card being that it’s more like ~2.5 slots or just go with an actual 2 slot card. I just thought the extra fan might help with a smallish case like this.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Fenom posted:

I bought the Node 304 case and I’m going to pick up a GPU tomorrow, I know it fits a 2 slot but I was wondering if I could squeeze this fatty in there https://www.microcenter.com/product/601929/rog-strix-geforce-rtx-2060-overclocked-triple-fan-6gb-gddr6-pcie-video-card being that it’s more like ~2.5 slots or just go with an actual 2 slot card. I just thought the extra fan might help with a smallish case like this.

Easiest way to find out is to tighten the filter here with similar cards, or just google the two parts and hopefully google picks up a forum where someone has done it before.

https://pcpartpicker.com/builds/#E=10&e=261

stray
Jun 28, 2005

"It's a jet pack, Michael. What could possibly go wrong?"

Gay Retard posted:

Welp, I know what I'm eventually going to do when I fill up my 4-bay NAS with 10TB drives - pick up one of those cases and a 4xSATA PCI-E card.
It's a really nice "black swan" of a case case that fits my needs perfectly and which I'm surprised hasn't gotten more notice (it's not even in PCPartPicker's database). I'd love to see an update to this case with space for a two-slot-wide GPU and blower.

There are two small SAS-SATA backplanes inside it (possibly Supermicro, but I can't say for sure) and I have another idea that I could buy a couple of SATA backplanes, a hot-swap drive cage with trays and just build or 3D print a SFF case skeleton around them, add a sweet mini-iTX mobo, a powerful GPU and then enclose it all in tempered glass or anodized aluminum.

stray fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 9, 2019

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

1gnoirents posted:

I posted this in the GPU thread and I really should have here. These are my experiences with the SG13 case. I had been using a Silverstone RVZ02B but it was getting torn up with all the wacky crap I did to it. I loved it, and still do (that style of case is extremely easy to work with), but I wanted a radiator spot without taking up too much volume. A lot of the options in this space seems oddly expensive but the SG13 came through at a price actually lower than I wanted to spend.

Important parts are FE 2080ti with modified NZXT G12 bracket, Corsair H50 quiet AIO, and a 9700k using a Cryorig C1 with a replacement 140mm Prolimatech fan as the Cryorig one had bad bearings for a long time now. Also I have delidded and lapped the CPU die and used a larger copper IHS since I was 100% certain CPU temps were going to be the weakest point.Pretty tall order for this tiny case

Lapping these parts was far more helpful than I thought it would be. A verifiable drop across the board by a ~3-5 degrees, dont know where the real bottleneck was though.

Modified G12 bracket. I had to cut off the little leg of the L shape of the bracket completely off and make some notches for power plug clips and hose routing.

Had to install the bare PCB first then maneuver the bracket and water block onto it from there. Not the most fun I've ever had, and for other reasons I've done this like 8 times now

Tight fit

Love the end result though. Those are 13" ultrabooks stacked there for size comparison

I wasn't entirely sure I could actually make this fit with the GPU. It was possible in theory, but very nearly almost impossible in reality. But with the cuts it fits just fine so this ended up being very economical to water cool this GPU, I had no interest in an open loop setup just to make this fit.

For thermals I removed the factory 120mm AIO fan and sandwiched two Noctua 120mm slim fans. This turned out to be key, the H50 could not keep up in this environment. Others may be just fine stock though. With the 2 new fans it works perfectly. I have it setup to run nearly silent but it still never throttles even under a heavy long load topping out at 77* with a max overclock. The CPU on the other hand hits 80*, which is fine, but its currently just stock at 4.6 ghz all cores. I will try to work on this a bit but I knew I'd be giving up top end CPU clocks with this case.

The effort difference between this case and the RVZ02B is pretty extreme. The RVZ02B, and presumably all stacked chamber style designs, was literally easier to build in than a normal case. This SG13 was the polar opposite due to its more traditional layout. But the end result was absolutely worth it and I already love the little thing. For $40 its a real winner in my book. Nothing is particularly nice about it if you ignore price but it delivers on every front without any glaring faults.

4 out of 4.75 stars would buy again

A weird quirk about the G12 bracket, not sure if this is common knowledge but it does work with the RTX card perfectly - if you use the AMD bracket. Its really bizarre but other people have found the same thing elsewhere as well when I looked it up.

I really like your build. I wonder how this case would handle moving the power supply to the front, letting the power supply get air from the front grill, and then using the top of the case to mount fans, radiators, etc.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I never shared my updated build after I upgraded the GPU, PSU, and case. I do kind of miss the PC-Q04 but the profile of the node 304 is a huge improvement.

The only issue I have now is the cooler creates a lot of turbulence (previously it vented into the PSU) due to fan being perpendicular to the case fan so I'm planning to get a Noctua nh-u14s when I've got the cash to spare.

I may zip tie the cable down for appearances but I'm otherwise pretty satisfied.

CPU: Intel I7-3770
Heatsink: Prolimatech Samuel 17
MB: GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3
Case: Node 304
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: Corsair SF600

Ashex fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 27, 2019

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Ashex posted:

I never shared my updated build after I upgraded the GPU, PSU, and case. I do kind of miss the PC-Q04 but the profile of the node 304 is a huge improvement.

The only issue I have now is the cooler creates a lot of turbulence (previously it vented into the PSU) due to fan being perpendicular to the case fan so I'm planning to get a Noctua nh-u14s when I've got the cash to spare.

I may zip tie the cable down for appearances but I'm otherwise pretty satisfied.

CPU: Intel I7-3770
Heatsink: Prolimatech Samuel 17
MB: GIGABYTE GA-H67N-USB3-B3
Case: Node 304
GPU: RTX 2080
PSU: Corsair SF600
That looks nice. I was thinking about picking up one of those cases and shoving in 6 hard drives and a RAID card, assuming I can figure out how to fit six sata cables and six power plugs to fit in there neatly.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

td4guy posted:

That looks nice. I was thinking about picking up one of those cases and shoving in 6 hard drives and a RAID card, assuming I can figure out how to fit six sata cables and six power plugs to fit in there neatly.

Coincidentally I have the same case for my media server where I'm basically doing that. I only have a SATA expansion card in there as I'm doing a software raid. It's pretty crowded but I run the heatsink passive and it's pretty quiet.

I don't have specs off the top of my head but it's got six 2TB disks in there.

Edit: If you're curious about the temps here's the last 12 months in celsius (the huge spike might be from when I was doing a mass video conversion that took a few days):

Ashex fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.
Originally asked in the PC Building megathread, and they suggested I ask my question here.

When I did my mini-ITX build in a Fractal Design Node 202 case about two years ago, I reused an existing graphics card, which is an open cooler design (MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G). Ran cool and fairly quiet in its prior micro-ATX home, but now everything runs warmer: CPU idles at ~50°C and GPU at ~44°C. Not terrible, but not terribly satisfactory either. I have two Fractal Design Venturi HP-12s pulling outside cool air into the GPU chamber as well.

Conventional wisdom says I should have a blower design in such a mini-ITX build. I haven't experienced any heat-related failures, though my Noctua NH-L9i CPU fan inexplicably stopped spinning after a year of running fine; even then, the HP-12s are tied to CPU temp, so they ran at 100% and miraculously prevented system damage until I could safely shut down the PC (CPU never crested 90°C even without its fan working).

But, should I still go ahead and replace my GPU with a blower design one, just in case?