Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I could live with Fast Dedede.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Takoluka posted:

Amy's coming to Smash. We're lacking in cute pink things with hammers.

Extremely rude to just ignore Kirby like that.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shadowlyger posted:

Extremely rude to just ignore Kirby like that.

A single cute pink thing with a hammer is not enough. If I can't beat the poo poo out of Sonic while playing as Amy then what is even the point?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I can't believe I'm saying this, but Amy is...good?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ConanThe3rd posted:

I could live with Fast Dedede.

This would actually be pretty cool tbqh

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Her classic design is cool and I want that version of her playable.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Yeah she's been pretty good in almost every depiction of her recently, especially in the boom tv show

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Amy was legit super fun to play as in the Advance games where she could do high jumps with her hammer and stuff. In the first game she couldn't spindash or turn into a ball at all which added an extra layer of challenge and a bit of different gameplay feel to her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1074853082159243264

Paramount tweeted this a few days ago, not sure if this is a joke or a glimpse of the movie design. Either way I hate it.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Dec 22, 2018

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Amy was legit super fun to play as in the Advance games where she could do high jumps with her hammer and stuff. In the first game she couldn't spindash or turn into a ball at all which added an extra layer of challenge and a bit of different gameplay feel to her.

I really liked Amy in Sonic Advance 1, she felt unique in a way that still fit really well into the Sonic mold. If they could do something like that for Mania or Mania 2 I would love it

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Pastamania posted:

and the bit where Mania massively outsold Forces for a fraction of the production budget

Has this been confirmed? Not the budget part obviously, but the sales. This is true from the leaked steam sales, but I don't think that's going to account for much since I always thought Sonic was more of a thing on consoles.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Larryb posted:

https://twitter.com/SonicMovie/status/1074853082159243264

Paramount tweeted this a few days ago, not sure if this is a joke or a glimpse of the movie design. Either way I hate it.

At this point I'd be ok with them just going hyper realistic gross design. Make it theirs
But no they're probably channeling the sonic Twitter

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Started a replay of Unleashed today. It's depressing how that intro CGI cutscene probably cost more to make than the entirety of Forces.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Why is this unbelievable

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Why is this unbelievable

"Character who's biggest trait is that she's obsessed with the main character who isn't into her" isn't a particularly compelling story

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Zelder posted:

"Character who's biggest trait is that she's obsessed with the main character who isn't into her" isn't a particularly compelling story

Sonic Boom Amy is the best for this because it's rarely brought up she has a crush on Sonic and when it is it's played for an intentional big ol yikes factor

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Is the Sonic Boom show a thing still? Feels like it’s been a few years since I’ve heard anyone mention it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I still remember one of the early blurbs for the show that was pretty funny. It was pretty much like this: "Watch the antics of a cast of enjoyable characters, and Amy Rose."

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SeANMcBAY posted:

Is the Sonic Boom show a thing still? Feels like it’s been a few years since I’ve heard anyone mention it.

There hasn't been any more since Season 2 ended. The story editor still talks about the show a lot on his twitter, but right now it looks like that's it.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
The second season ended last fall, I don't think the show was cancelled or ended or anything it's just between seasons, but I might be wrong

It was a legitimately funny show, so I hope it gets another season

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Calaveron posted:

Sonic Boom Amy is the best for this because it's rarely brought up she has a crush on Sonic and when it is it's played for an intentional big ol yikes factor

yes, that's great, the primary female character being crazy and weird and disturbing is the best case scenario

Amy's crush on Sonic has only really ever been portrayed as excessive in Heroes. She's perfectly fine in most other games and media. It's not that Sonic doesn't like her, it's that he doesn't like being tied down to one place.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xad posted:

The second season ended last fall, I don't think the show was cancelled or ended or anything it's just between seasons, but I might be wrong

It was a legitimately funny show, so I hope it gets another season

Yeah, the Sonic Boom cartoon was honestly the best thing to come out of that whole subseries (though the second 3DS game Fire & Ice wasn't terrible either).

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I don't like Sonic Boom, but I love how enthusiastic Eggman's VA is and I feel bad that he had to do Sonic Forces.

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

College Slice

Screaming Idiot posted:

I don't like Sonic Boom, but I love how enthusiastic Eggman's VA is and I feel bad that he had to do Sonic Forces.

He's been Eggman's VA since Shadow the Hedgehog, so it's not like this is new to him

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Screaming Idiot posted:

He had to voice the awful semi realistic Eggman in 2006 so he’s used to working with trash.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Xad posted:

He's been Eggman's VA since Shadow the Hedgehog, so it's not like this is new to him

And he voiced the character in the 4Kids dub of Sonic X before that. Mike Pollock has probably been Eggman's longest running VA come to think of it (aside from the late Chikao Otsuka that is).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 23, 2018

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hope he’s Eggman forever. He’s the best, even though I’ll always have a soft spot for Long John Baldry as well.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hope he’s Eggman forever. He’s the best, even though I’ll always have a soft spot for Long John Baldry as well.

To be fair, I don't think Robotnik has ever had a bad VA as far as I can remember (I'm not too fond of Gary Chalk in Underground though, he sounded too much like a generic cartoon villain).

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Nodosaur posted:

yes, that's great, the primary female character being crazy and weird and disturbing is the best case scenario

Naw, they saved that gimmick for Sticks. :v:

Larryb posted:

And he voiced the character in the 4Kids dub of Sonic X before that. Mike Pollock has probably been Eggman's longest running VA come to think of it (aside from the late Chikao Otsuka that is).

My favorite Mike Pollock story from his interviews is the time SEGA moved away from using the 4Kids VA for the games. He mentioned how his agent/manager told him he got invited to audition for a new role and he was all "Waiiiiit a second, this new role sound way too familiar." And how when he went to the audition (or got the role, I forgot), he noticed he was the only one from the 4Kids dub cast to still be there and was all "Haha..ha...this is awkward :v:"

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Larryb posted:

To be fair, I don't think Robotnik has ever had a bad VA as far as I can remember (I'm not too fond of Gary Chalk in Underground though, he sounded too much like a generic cartoon villain).

That’s true. Just those two were better.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

amigolupus posted:

Naw, they saved that gimmick for Sticks. :v:

On paper, sure, but in operation, Sticks is usually right most of the time. Her paranoid rambling exists for one off gags and non sequiturs, but otherwise the punchline is just as of then that she's the voice of reason or making a good point.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

That’s true. Just those two were better.

Those two are the best yes (I'm also partial to Jim Cummings and Chikao Otsuka). I think Pollock's the only one who's been able to successfully replicate the latter's laugh as well.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larryb posted:

Those two are the best yes (I'm also partial to Jim Cummings and Chikao Otsuka). I think Pollock's the only one who's been able to successfully replicate the latter's laugh as well.

Jim Cummings is a legend, but everything relating to SatAM Sonic is cringeworthy and embarrassing. Even as a kid I kept being annoyed because it had nothing to do with the games.

The only things about Sonic that should be gritty are Shadow and Infinite, because they are hilarious.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Screaming Idiot posted:

Jim Cummings is a legend, but everything relating to SatAM Sonic is cringeworthy and embarrassing. Even as a kid I kept being annoyed because it had nothing to do with the games.

The only things about Sonic that should be gritty are Shadow and Infinite, because they are hilarious.

Oh I agree, but Robotnik was still probably the best part of that show (though that's not saying much). In fact the only american cartoon that really seemed to get what Sonic was supposed to be about was the more slapstick oriented AoStH (and even that had its share of problems).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Dec 24, 2018

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i love mike pollock but deem bristow will always be my favorite

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Larryb posted:

Oh I agree, but Robotnik was still probably the best part of that show (though that's not saying much). In fact the only american cartoon that really seemed to get what Sonic was supposed to be about was the more slapstick oriented AoStH (and even that had its share of problems).

The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog was high art and should be revered by all Sonic fans. I still get Scratch and Grounder's theme stuck in my head and I wanna make it my ringtone someday.

HA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA!

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

SatAM is about as grim and gritty as a Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles episode.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Sonic is not a series that should be made dark and serious and honestly works best when it just embraces the inherant goofiness of the main concept (superfast hedgehog fights egg-shaped manchild scientist, both of them are assholes in their own way) wholeheartedly. Which is another reason why I enjoyed the Sonic Boom cartoon for the most part.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Dec 24, 2018

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nodosaur posted:

SatAM is about as grim and gritty as a Teenaged Mutant Ninja Turtles episode.

And it has about as much to do with Sonic as one, too. SatAM is bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I just don't think some attempts at drama are bad. Everyone talks about how Sonic having anything more serious than Eggman trying to ruin the environment is cringey, while Mario, which is often perceived to be the "softer" and more childish series, is allowed to have subplots about Rosalina's dead mom and a spinoff rpg about summoning a demonic queen.

Obviously there's a line but I think Sonic's stories can have fairly complex topics and even death and be just fine.