Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Guest2553 posted:

dream horses can quickly turn into night mares.

this should go in your goddamn qualifile

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
Let go. Now what?
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a85bn0/let_go_now_what/

quote:

So. I got let go today. There wasn't enough work for me. I was told to file for unemployment right away, and gave me the name if a staffing agency.

My question is debt. The job I had..had good pay and the unemployment benefits I may be able to get arent... enough. I'll be able to pay rent and my car payment and insurance. But uh. Groceries..barely. and credit card payments? Forget it. I literally can't. Anyone been in this situation? How did you make it work with debt? Anyone have advice for making this work till I find a new job? Has a staffing agency worked for anyone finding a decent job?

I'm thinking of going back to my first office job where I was at for years. I did well there. I'll reach out and see if they're hiring. But im really scared. I have no savings and finding a new job is scary. I just need help.

Hubby's credit being destroyed by ex-wife
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a83dlw/hubbys_credit_being_destroyed_by_exwife/

quote:

My husband was too depressed and broke to hire a lawyer to assist with the divorce agreement he signed with his ex, and now he's getting screwed. The agreement allowed her to stay in their jointly mortgaged home until his younger child graduated high school, and then she was to sell the house or assume the mortgage. His child graduated, and she was blowing smoke up his rear end that she would try to sell the house, and he gave her the benefit of the doubt at first and tried to play nice so she would comply. Then she stopped paying the mortgage, and his credit started plummeting.

We hired a lawyer and have been fighting her in court, and she has been ordered to sell the house and repay our attorney fees. She hasn't paid us a cent, and continues to live in the house with her scumbag boyfriend without paying the mortgage. We even won power of attorney for him to manage the sale of the house. However now it's too late, as foreclosure is immanent, and we can't drop the price any further if we hope to recover what is owed to the mortgage company.

Meanwhile, I've shelled out over $5000 out of my own savings for lawyer's fees. Our lawyer has gotten us some wins in court, but has no sense of urgency and refuses to provide any actual advice - just states facts very passively and allows us to decide what to do next. I've never had to hire a lawyer before, but this dishrag of a person is not what I had in mind...

My husband is talking allowing it go into foreclosure and then declaring bankruptcy. This idea sickens me, but I'm starting to think it may be our only option. I'm not even sure if that would relieve him of the mortgage debt now that I'm reading more about it though...

Anyone have advice as to what we can/should do to lessen the financial/credit impact? We feel so helpless.

Oh, and deadbeat ex-wife has been gainfully employed at the same company the entire time, and making more than hubby was/is. She apparently has given up on her own credit, and we also fear that she may declare bankruptcy, though at this point, who knows if it even matters?

The home is in NJ.

Thanks in advance for any advice or words of encouragement you can provide.

SiGmA_X fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 21, 2018

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Thus first one is either BWM or just really sad depending on the numbers. Some people just aren't making enough to save.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

RC and Moon Pie posted:

It came from a letter to an advice column

There's also an extra house involved.

There aren't enough guillotines in the world.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I bet German woman didn't even start a hot dog business

Inept posted:

In the replies:

quote:

keeping up with people in the finance industry is really not a game I should be playing yet in hindsight, even if you justify it to yourself as "networking" and "relationship building." also, a lot of my savings were in small-cap stocks that basically lost half their value in the past few months. no joke.

Whoops.

DO YOU LIKE HUEY LEWIS AND THE NEWS

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Dec 21, 2018

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances

Alan Smithee posted:

I know it's :thejoke:, but lol

"I gave all my money to some German lady who said she needed money to pay for Christmas presents. Do NOT trust strangers who say they need money for Christmas!

Anyway, please give all your money to me, I need money for my Christmas."

It's like teaching a man to fish but for scammers.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can I Recover From This? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 3 hours ago * by feelingkindafucked

quote:

Myself: 120k+(bonus/stock 15-30k), less 15% 401k and 10% in a stock buy program, benefit premiums

Wife: 75K, doing 5% in nurse pension,

Mortgage: 260k, 1850/mon 4.75%

2 auto : 1050/mon 1 loan @ 2.2% and 1 lease both about 500

Student loans: 110k, 1550/mon 4.8%

3 Credit Card Consolidation Loans: total 80k, 1700/mon (22k@7.5, 23k@7.9, 35k@11)

The problem is obviously our debt...it got out of control and I'm actually afraid and ashamed and I'm not sure what I should do. We also have two kids we need to send to daycare which is roughly 1500/month.

Daycare 1500/mon

Utilities 400-500/mon

Food 300-400/mon

Gasoline 300-400/month

Obviously, we need to halt all credit card use entirely or at least pay them on every week at least.

Is there such a thing as a 20yr 500K personal loan at like 5%? I could pay off all of the debt and would be able to afford the 3,100/mon payment on a loan with those terms, I know probably wishful thinking. But I do have near perfect credit (~800), never missed a payment on anything, can you talk to a banker about something like that?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Friend, you can talk to a banker about anything.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
You know I feel alot better now today. I don't know why but I do. At least I know I can never be that hosed on my finances

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

This is a new one that made it through my spam filter:

quote:

RE: PENDING PAYMENT

Mrs. Doreen Dickson, head of a team of World Bank Investigators on special assignments in Europe and Africa. We are currently in Nigeria in Africa. Subsequent to the series of complaints against some officials because of inconclusive payments, financial misconducts and extortion, a team of World Bank Investigators has been constituted and mandated to investigate cases of extortion of money. Cases we are handling include supposedly pending contract payments, inheritance funds, supposedly unpaid lottery sums, dating deceptions, etc We are working in conjunction with the police (INTERPOL), a team of Lawyers, Insurance Companies, Western Union Money Transfer, Money Gram, the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and representatives of Banks.

Your records appeared in the gazette at our disposal that you are being owed. we need to hear from you with enough evidence of proof that you are a victim of extortion by these officials and. After investigations and ratification, you will be paid fully or paid only compensation for losses incurred. At the moment, some miscreants/culprits have been apprehended in Europe and Africa. Your full co-operation is needed. For urgent attention on your case, reply by email: dtella@outlook.com and reconfirm the following: Full Name, Age, Address, Telephone Number and Occupation. You are advised to treat with urgency as we have limited time to operate.

Yours Sincerely
Mrs. Doreen Dickson
World Bank Investigation Coordinator
NOTE: Our assignment needs a very tactical and intelligent approach. To ensure our efforts are not jeopardized and compromised, you are advised to remain very discreet and confidential for the short period of treating your case.

The Nigerian Prince scam is going meta now.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
God I love taking a big hit of the bad with money thread.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

quote:

Is there such a thing as a 20yr 500K personal loan at like 5%? I could pay off all of the debt and would be able to afford the 3,100/mon payment on a loan with those terms, I know probably wishful thinking. But I do have near perfect credit (~800), never missed a payment on anything, can you talk to a banker about something like that?

I love the sheer naivety of this statement from the OP. Why yes, please do talk to a banker about getting a loan that looks like a regular mortgage, only without the house as collateral. And report back on how it went.

Since he has a mortgage a HELOC might be possible, and god knows plenty of idiots still leverage those to pay the debt that allows them to live the life of their dreams, that's why so many got hosed in 2007-8, but when do people wake up to the fact that getting out of debt starts with not taking on more debt?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Ixian posted:

I love the sheer naivety of this statement from the OP. Why yes, please do talk to a banker about getting a loan that looks like a regular mortgage, only without the house as collateral. And report back on how it went.

Since he has a mortgage a HELOC might be possible, and god knows plenty of idiots still leverage those to pay the debt that allows them to live the life of their dreams, that's why so many got hosed in 2007-8, but when do people wake up to the fact that getting out of debt starts with not taking on more debt?

Ideally never, as their sub-optimal behavior is the secret sauce of my economic fortune in the presence of demographic stagnation, dwindling productivity and a reactionary president hell-bent on stopping immigration.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

How do you rack up that much in CC debt? I don’t understand the decision tree that ends with three near maxed out cards. Especially making half-decent money like this guy. That is just blowing money on an inconceivable scale.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

AndrewP posted:

How do you rack up that much in CC debt? I don’t understand the decision tree that ends with three near maxed out cards. Especially making half-decent money like this guy. That is just blowing money on an inconceivable scale.
Complete head-in-sand attitude about anything related to your finance.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Ixian posted:

but when do people wake up to the fact that getting out of debt starts with not taking on more debt?

BWM: this time will be different

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

AndrewP posted:

Do I have credit? ---- Yes ---> Spend the credit
        |
       No
        |
       \/
Whine on the internet

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

BMan posted:

Do I have credit? ---- Yes ---> Spend the credit
        |
       No
        |
       \/
Whine on the internet

"I deserve nice things"

*buys a bunch of garbage on credit*

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

AndrewP posted:

Treating credit as an extension of your bank balance. Justifying expensive toys though self-entitlement. Finally, playing the equivalency game i.e. "I'll always need to have a job, and I'll always have monthly bills, poo poo I have to pay the electric bill every month don't I? Credit related payments are just another bill! Besides I really want that boat/horse/Raptor. Nay, I deserve them. All 3".

Combine that with a financial system that has figured out, time and again, how to securitize risk and have it pay huge returns, and we end up in situations where people who have no business taking on any non-collateralized debt at all have $100k credit card balances.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

AndrewP posted:

I don’t understand the decision tree that ends with three near maxed out cards. Especially making half-decent money like this guy.

I'm more interested in the car buying decision tree which results in a person with no money deciding that their best option is to finance a brand new car for 30k at a high interest rate, instead of buying a used Civic.

I have no money -> There's no way I can save $500 a month for a year -> I should finance a car and spend $500 a month for 8 years!

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
JFC people are so bad with cars.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Elysium posted:

I'm more interested in the car buying decision tree which results in a person with no money deciding that their best option is to finance a brand new car for 30k at a high interest rate, instead of buying a used Civic.

I have no money -> There's no way I can save $500 a month for a year -> I should finance a car and spend $500 a month for 8 years!

I mean that's just two bad horrible, disastrous decisions that people make all the time - "I need a car and technically I can pay these payments every month so might as well get it".

The credit cards are years of blowing your credit on who knows what, as well as the rest of your paycheck so you can't actually pay your balance. Are they hoarders? Is their basement full of expensive electronics? How do you even do it?

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

Elysium posted:

Just talk with them and it's pretty clear. No long term thinking. You're starting to see it with iPhones/Pixels now as well. "I can afford to pay $500 a month for a car" means they end up paying that for 8 years.

With credit cards, they just simply aren't thinking about it at all.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

TraderStav posted:

JFC people are so bad with cars.

It's really amazing how Americans in particular have gotten it so normalized to spend $30,000+ every several years on a rapidly depreciating and expensive to operate/maintain asset. Furthered by the "monthly payments" mindset and lack of savings/planning in general.

Like, I get it, many parts of the US are extremely car-dependent and that plays into the allure/desire. But so many people with no savings are spending near/over their annual salary on new vehicles every few years, usually on awful financing terms, and then wonder why they are always broke. There's so many cheaper ways to have a good/cheap/reliable/fun/interesting car.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Dec 21, 2018

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Guinness posted:

It's really amazing how Americans in particular have gotten it so normalized to spend $30,000+ every several years on a rapidly depreciating and expensive to operate/maintain asset. Furthered by the "monthly payments" mindset and lack of savings/planning in general.

Like, I get it, many parts of the US are extremely car-dependent and that plays into the allure/desire. But so many people with no savings are spending near/over their annual salary on new vehicles every few years, usually on awful financing terms, and then wonder why they are always broke. There's so many cheaper ways to have a good/cheap/reliable/fun/interesting car.

I really believe a good portion of it is that Americans are so busy (correctly or perceived, but distinction without a difference) that maintenance and trouble on a vehicle is seen as a gigantic hassle. So they pay a gigantic premium to avoid that awful pain of having to worry about transportation when they need to get service. Since they run themselves around so much, they don't have any downtime built in.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

so GWM that it stretches credibility

https://twitter.com/CNBC/status/1076173906455810050

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I can't go further into it in this thread but it's not all that unbelievable.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the total cash spend is not completely absurd

the categorization is probably the funniest part

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Donations is almost definitely some combination of drugs and "miscellaneous" expenses

My question is how does he get to $195 (+20 internet) in utilities split between 4 other roommates

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

what a weirdly specific situation to make a graph about

also what does income have to do with any of it, aside from trying to stir poo poo on Twitter

AndrewP fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Dec 21, 2018

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

well and there's $0 for clothing, anything incidental, out of pocket healthcare like vision or dental etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

brugroffil posted:

well and there's $0 for clothing, anything incidental, out of pocket healthcare like vision or dental etc.

$5,558 unaccounted for in taxes, health insurance premiums, savings, retirement savings, and then all of the other stuff you mentioned.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

TraderStav posted:

$5,558 unaccounted for in taxes, health insurance premiums, savings, retirement savings, and then all of the other stuff you mentioned.

well I think the idea is that what's shown is what he's actually spending every month, everything else on his net pay after taxes is going to savings

if you click through to the article, he's someone who has his own tutoring business making $100k tutoring undergrad Ivy students on grad school admissions tests

e: health insurance is listed though, $270/month

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

brugroffil posted:

well I think the idea is that what's shown is what he's actually spending every month, everything else on his net pay after taxes is going to savings

if you click through to the article, he's someone who has his own tutoring business making $100k tutoring undergrad Ivy students on grad school admissions tests

e: health insurance is listed though, $270/month

The point that brugoffil and I are making though that those are his minimum payments per month, not his 'True Expenses' (in YNAB parlance) which are the ones that occur infrequently but should be accounted for. He may spend $1200 on clothes a year, but in two visits but it's not reflected there. Article says he buys the occasional video game, nothing there. Just that it's not a very truthful or helpful chart when you don't account for at least MORE of the true expenses.

Dude is likely very GWM, so not taking that away from him, just the article, chart, and CNBC as a whole suck.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Motronic posted:

Can I Recover From This? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 3 hours ago * by feelingkindafucked

How the gently caress are they spending $400-$500 a month on utilities, and another $300-$400 a month on loving gasoline?

That's, like, a loving car payment in just gas.

Alan Smithee posted:

I don't understand how you get ripped off giving somebody money to buy Xmas gifts. I guarantee he was supposed to make money on the back end, and it had nothing to do with helping anyone.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

No student loans, just like the average 25 year old who paid them off in the first couple of years post-graduation.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

Thanatosian posted:

How the gently caress are they spending $400-$500 a month on utilities, and another $300-$400 a month on loving gasoline?

That's, like, a loving car payment in just gas.

It's easy. You buy a huge house that is far, far away from your job. That way, you have a huge, cheap house that you are never in because you are always commuting. And because you are always commuting, you need a nice car, which uses a lot of gas.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

19 o'clock posted:

No student loans, just like the average 25 year old who paid them off in the first couple of years post-graduation.

I mean the tweet says that they're excellent with money, not average with money. If they went to a state school and got that six figgie job right out of college then they could've paid them down in 2-3 years. It's much likelier that their parents paid for their tuition but it's not impossible.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

What I don't understand is why that's supposed to be newsworthy at all - if I'm making $100k/year, splitting the cost of an apartment four ways or w/e, and have no debt whatsoever it's pretty easy to save a shitton of money. (Also in this situation I never buy clothes or spend money on entertainment or hobbies apparently, just give to charity)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trillian
Sep 14, 2003

Power of Pecota posted:

What I don't understand is why that's supposed to be newsworthy at all - if I'm making $100k/year, splitting the cost of an apartment four ways or w/e, and have no debt whatsoever it's pretty easy to save a shitton of money. (Also in this situation I never buy clothes or spend money on entertainment or hobbies apparently, just give to charity)

It's for hate clicks