Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Holy poo poo, that Pro Blood video for episode 1. I love that guy's delivery. Everyone should check it out. Even my non-FPS-playing wife loved it, and she hadn't even heard of Blood before.

Her: Whoa, what's Blood?
Me: It's the best :clint:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Heavy Metal posted:

Only because he quotes Andrew Dice Clay, showing good taste. Also Army of Darkness, but Duke already covered that, I dunno I think Duke is right up there. I have a The Crow poster like everyone else should, of course Caleb is cool.

lmao he does?

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

VEGA was an enormous supercomputing cluster built with the specific purpose of managing the argent energy extraction and UAC base operations.

Argent energy extraction is inherently evil and environmentally destructive and the UAC base was a massive cult beyond all reason or logic. VEGA was built - as an enormous, insanely power-hungry server farm - specifically to enable argent energy extraction, while also vacuuming up a massive amount of that energy. It literally had to be placed in a cold region of the planet so that the power and cooling needs could be met.

VEGA is bitcoin and Doom Slayer is an idiot for trying to save it when it faced its eventual spectacular collapse.

Linguica fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 21, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

fadam posted:

lmao he does?

yeah caleb quotes him in the spider boss level.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
VEGA is a person and saving people, even from themselves, is a big part of the Doom Slayer's raison d'etre.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

Pope Guilty posted:

VEGA is a person and saving people, even from themselves, is a big part of the Doom Slayer's raison d'etre.

I hope we get to save Hayden right in his smug robot face in Eternal.

I'm gonna save that motherfucker so hard.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Ever since that scene I've wondered how VEGA could be backed up if the only hardware it could run on in the first place was a server farm the size of a city.

Reviewing the video it looks like it got loaded onto a standard removable storage device so it'll probably get integrated into the suit through helltech handwaving. VEGA is now Hell Cortana.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 21, 2018

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Doomslayer gonna cram VEGA into a eldritch suit and be all tilts head towards demons, offers gun.

E: Or Hell Cortana. I could take Hell Cortana.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Pope Guilty posted:

If VEGA is a person then Doom Slayer willingly killed that person in order to get back to Hell and Doom Slayer is a murderer not a hero. That was literally the point of the level: to blow up VEGA and use its destruction as juice for a teleport. If id Software fooled you into just remembering the part where he apparently somehow copies a supercomputing megacomplex into a big SD card in 1 second, then I guess they did their job well.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Vega is boring and I felt nothing about blowing him up

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Linguica posted:

VEGA was an enormous supercomputing cluster built with the specific purpose of managing the argent energy extraction and UAC base operations.

Argent energy extraction is inherently evil and environmentally destructive and the UAC base was a massive cult beyond all reason or logic. VEGA was built - as an enormous, insanely power-hungry server farm - specifically to enable argent energy extraction, while also vacuuming up a massive amount of that energy. It literally had to be placed in a cold region of the planet so that the power and cooling needs could be met.

VEGA is bitcoin and Doom Slayer is an idiot for trying to save it when it faced its eventual spectacular collapse.

VEGA is a slave to the UAC, Dr. Hayden and by extension Hell.

This is actually kinda canon. One of the data logs you get before the end of that mission talks about the UAC being able to manipulate VEGA, and even if he is practically omnipotent on mars he still does not compare to Hell. He is considered a tool to be used and discarded.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Holy poo poo, that Pro Blood video for episode 1. I love that guy's delivery. Everyone should check it out. Even my non-FPS-playing wife loved it, and she hadn't even heard of Blood before.

Her: Whoa, what's Blood?
Me: It's the best :clint:

I think it was Ad Cu Ad Solte who linked Civvie 11 for the first time and to him we should all be grateful.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Linguica posted:

VEGA also played the part of the professor.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I love the Pro Blood video for being real good but simultaneously reinforcing so heavily why I dont like Blood.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

GUI posted:

It's the same except with permadeath.

Thanks, by the way.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Arivia posted:

I think it was Ad Cu Ad Solte who linked Civvie 11 for the first time and to him we should all be grateful.

Finally, the recognition I deserve. :v: Actually for some reason I seem to remember finding the link somewhere in this thread but hey.

Re the Slayer backing up VEGA on an SD card. That huge supercomputer complex was for his hardware, so I assumed the removable storage just had a backup of something like his source code. Yes, I am overthinking it.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Are the enemies in Dusk really bullet spongey or is the shotgun just super weedy?

Like, the super shotty's performance is what I'd expect from the basic shotgun.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Are the enemies in Dusk really bullet spongey or is the shotgun just super weedy?

The basic shotgun just sucks.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hmmm I've been playing on the 2nd highest difficulty (not really interested in the one where a single shot instakills you) and I feel like I had a different experience. At the start of the game, you're dropped into a small area with a pair of hand scythes and (possibly, if you get to it in time) a single pistol and must dispatch a trio of chainsaw jerks. My immediate impression was, "wow these hand scythes loving suck" and the pistol wasn't a whole lot better.

So by the time I got my hands on one of the lever action shotguns, it seemed decently powerful; doubly so when dual-wielded. It'll dispatch an ordinary cultist in two hits, one of those idiot-reindeer in one hit (most of the time), Chainsaw jerks in about three shots, soldiers in one, etc. That may sound like a lot but when dual-wielded, that means you can eliminate the average lower-level enemy in like 1.0-1.5 seconds.

Enemies like the "Fork Maidens", Scarecrows, and red cultists are kind of like Hellknights and Barons from Doom, so it doesn't surprise me that they take more work to kill with the lever actions. Plus, you've got a whole lot more powerful weapons for dealing with them, like the double-barreled shotgun, riveter, sword, and mortar.

So I feel like the lever actions are pretty well balanced in the greater scheme. I found myself using them throughout the game because while the double-barreled shotgun could dispatch most poo poo in the blink of an eye, you don't always have access to it (when you're playing on the setting that starts you with hand-scythes on each level). Plus I liked the greater range and accuracy of the lever-actions, as well as the greater degree of flexibility (i.e. not wasting extra shells when I turned a corner and ran into a soldier, or a rat, or an ordinary cultist.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The super shotgun is the second most powerful attack in the game, right behind the charged stab and ahead of, for example, loving rockets. You just have to be very close to get maximum effect.

Regular shotguns are ok for killing trash at midrange but other weapons supersede them.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i mostly played the game with double shotty. i only felt like the higher end enemies were bullet spongey.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

one of those idiot-reindeer in one hit (most of the time)

that's black phillip - star of The \/\/itch!

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 21, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I had a real nolstalgic feeling jumping into multiplayer but maaan that mode could use a huge overhaul design wise. Or at least we need way smaller maps instead of wide open arenas where everyone is just spamming fire and missing as we all bunny hop at lightspeed.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Glagha posted:

OK real talk. Is it just me or is the writing in Shadow Warrior 2 a huge step back from the writing in (nu) Shadow Warrior 1? Like both games have occasionally cringey Lo Wang one liners but I felt like the first one was a little more subtle and he was a lot more likeable, and Hoji was like, surprisingly decent earpiece character of the year. 2 is ROUGH, from the amount I've played, and the gameplay is super weird.

The sequel kind of has Mass Effect: Andromeda's "Every sentence has to be a pithy, eye-rolling joke" problem mixed with Borderlands 2's humor sensibilities at points. There's like no break from it.

You know one other thing I like about Civvie? He's not a "toughguy shooter fan." I don't hate GGGman's stuff as much anymore, but his schtick about everything "putting hair on your balls," this and "stop complaining you babies," that is old and it's representative of a lot of FPS channels. Civvie can find enjoyment in SW and the character of Lo Wang and still make fun of lines for being unfunny and really cringey. It's okay to laugh at good things we like when they do things badly.

Plan Z fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 21, 2018

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

Finished Episode 3 of Dusk, loved how even weirder and trippier it was compared to Episode 2. Dusk is good.

Also, that ending. :psyduck:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Civvie11 owns and I watched today his hour and a half (three videos) head-bashing through Blood 2 and was hilarious. Just a heads up, he uses a Gordon Ramsay clip over and over and it keeps being funny.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Does anyone think Blood 2 would actually be good if they fixed bugs, removed the awful damage randomization, or other mod-level fixes, or can you just only improve the levels and basic design so much?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Plan Z posted:

Does anyone think Blood 2 would actually be good if they fixed bugs, removed the awful damage randomization, or other mod-level fixes, or can you just only improve the levels and basic design so much?

From what I can remember, I always liked the mood and setting, the variety of weapons, and even the fact that you can choose from one of the four "chosen" with different abilities (like Gabriella's super-strength giving her the ability to dual-wield all sorts of absurd, OP weapons, or Ishmael's knack for magic weapons). I think you could do a lot to improve those sorts of things, and I'd love to see a remake of the game--not even some super modern reimagining like the 2019 release of Resident Evil 2. It's just that we have Dusk, we have Amid Evil, we have Ion Maiden and the Duke World Tour levels. Let's redo Blood 2.

The game's on LithTech, though, so I wouldn't be optimistic about smart tweaking fixing the game overall.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Dec 21, 2018

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I want more sci-fi or sci-fantasy old school shooters.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ularg posted:

I want more sci-fi or sci-fantasy old school shooters.

playing through dusk makes me wanna hunker down and learn unity to make this.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

playing through dusk makes me wanna hunker down and learn unity to make this.

Isn't that the new 3DRealms Quake game? It sure LOOKED sci-fi, at least.

edit: also this is great https://www.pcgamer.com/this-mysterious-concept-art-for-a-dusk-boss-monster-was-drawn-by-a-sixth-grader/

Arivia fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 22, 2018

ETPC
Jul 10, 2008

Wheel with it.
nah that's Ion Maiden

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

ETPC posted:

nah that's Ion Maiden

No, one of the artists posted a little teaser on Twitter awhile back and it was definitely a dude going into a spooky space teleporter/slipgate/whatever. It looked really good.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

There is another Quake-engine based game that 3DRealms is currently working on, and that we know basically nothing about.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I'm thinking less quake-looking and more Halo/Marathon/System Shock. We have plenty of brown stonework throwback shooters.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Plan Z posted:

I don't think there's much that could be done short of remaking the whole thing from scratch. When I played it, I really didn't feel like there was a good game hidden underneath its problems.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

ponzicar posted:

I don't think there's much that could be done short of remaking the whole thing from scratch. When I played it, I really didn't feel like there was a good game hidden underneath its problems.

Yeah I can't think of much you could do to make repetitive backtracking through levels not dull.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Plan Z posted:

I like Blood 2 well enough, and I think bug fixes and other things like that would help a lot, but I feel like a lot of the basics from engine to design just didn't work, and even though I didn't mind them so much (well, the game falling apart if you breathed on it wrong I did) I feel like it'd just be easier to do a complete re-do of the concept.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The dead dude in the washing machine is the only thing I choose to remember about Blood 2

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Ularg posted:

I'm thinking less quake-looking and more Halo/Marathon/System Shock. We have plenty of brown stonework throwback shooters.

i think halo is boring looking (and not old school but that may be my age talking) but i'm down for the others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cryostasis is a strange game for me. In terms of combat, it is one of the worst first-person games I've played. In terms of setting, atmosphere, plot/storytelling, neat gameplay gimmicks, and other stuff, it's one of my favorites.