Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Handsome Ralph posted:

Again, missing the forest for the trees. Mattis wasn't perfect, and he's certainly got some baggage that's worth examining, but you're a galaxy brain level idiot if you pretend he's just as bad as Trump and that he wasn't exhibiting some measure of control over some of Trump's worst impulses.

I mean if your first reaction to hearing that Mattis is resigning is to virtue signal how you've always known he was never really a good person and that people are stupid for being upset that he's resigning, you're a moron.

Sure, he was a moderating influence on the white house, by virtue of his top-tier professionalism. I get that it only gets worse from here, but that doesn't mean Mattis was actually Good. He's mobbed up as hell with the defense industry and the War-with-Iran lobby, and let's face it, he was only picked because he said things that make funny memes. Kelly was another lifelong military professional, who came to the Trump admin and spent his tenure trying to keep Trump on the tracks -- is he a good guy, too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Perhaps if all of our dipshit politicians weren't so hot to cream their pants for the next war General Mattis wouldn't have seen so much action? Generals don't get to choose the wars they fight.

this is a fair point, I suppose.

I mean the dude is cool, and I like the "gently caress with me and I'll kill you all" memes as much as the next veteran on social media, but I'm not giving anybody that worked in the highest halls of government during this whole train wreck a pass

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mattis should have resigned over putting troops on the southern border tbh

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

DownByTheWooter posted:

Sure, he was a moderating influence on the white house, by virtue of his top-tier professionalism. I get that it only gets worse from here, but that doesn't mean Mattis was actually Good. He's mobbed up as hell with the defense industry and the War-with-Iran lobby, and let's face it, he was only picked because he said things that make funny memes. Kelly was another lifelong military professional, who came to the Trump admin and spent his tenure trying to keep Trump on the tracks -- is he a good guy, too?
Mattis didn't repeatedly lie for Donnie. He avoided politicizing his role as much as possible.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

That Works posted:

Yeah, he should have.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

That Works posted:

Obama and Bush did it too, it’s not too insane and this way Mattis could pushback on anything other than laying concertina wire

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

hobbesmaster posted:

Obama and Bush did it too, it’s not too insane and this way Mattis could pushback on anything other than laying concertina wire
They had actual goals in mind other than political theater for Cletus. Luckily nobody got killed, that's the silver lining.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
officers... bad?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Immanentized posted:

Anybody got a link to a write up to what exactly happens wrt those margin calls when the S&P hits 2420? Something about a trillion bucks in calls or something.

Would love seeing this, too. Sounds like bs to me. The financial system as a system is pretty dumb, but the things that cause an eventual collapse are usually not that obviously visible to everyone with like a smartphone (or at least a Bloomberg).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm dead. This killed me and I have died.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/1076170278315720704

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Senate vote tally is currently stuck at 43-45, with the vote held open for Senators still returning.

Corker is holding out, but it's getting more and more clear that the GOP doesn't even have 50 to even consider the House modification. Trump has no plan, the House has no plan, and the Senate has no plan.

:toot: gonna be a shutdown until January :toot:

https://twitter.com/burgessev/status/1076196083544543232?s=19

https://twitter.com/benyc/status/1076197031465680897?s=19

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
honestly surprised McConnell didn't tell Schumer to let everyone go and they promise not to do anything again

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Proud Christian Mom posted:

honestly surprised McConnell didn't tell Schumer to let everyone go and they promise not to do anything again

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

The big question for the next two years is how often the government is actually open

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

And I'm done with D&D for awhile. We're now at the "Mattis is Rommel, stop pretending he ever did anything good" hot takes stage.

I kinda miss LF because it acted as kind of a corral for the kind stupidity happening in that thread right now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Rhymenoserous posted:

I kinda miss LF because it acted as kind of a corral for the kind stupidity happening in that thread right now.
It leaked out everywhere though.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rhymenoserous posted:

There's the leper colony but I don't think any of the D&D mods want to start sending all the really obnoxious posers there unless they get all racist or start making real pointed threats.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
maybe yall should just stop going to D&D to get your feelings hurt

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Hahaha wow

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Proud Christian Mom posted:

maybe yall should just stop going to D&D to get your feelings hurt

hey I only see what D&D looks like when their shitpost all-stars wander into the C-Spam trump thread.

It's real easy to see the one :mad:UGH LIBERALLLLLLSSSS:o: post among the forest of creative manglings of Trump's name, and just roll right past. I assume all of D&D is like that and it must be absolutely exhausting to be like that.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

DoktorLoken posted:

Feel good story of the week:

https://www.syracuse.com/crime/2018/12/syracuse-cops-push-st-joes-to-probe-mans-rectum-for-drugs-what-country-are-we-living-in.html

Syracuse police, a city court judge and St. Joseph’s Hospital Health Center worked together last year to conduct a highly unusual drug search.

They collaborated to sedate a suspect and thread an 8-inch flexible tube into his rectum in a search for illegal drugs. The suspect, who police said had taunted them that he’d hidden drugs there, refused consent for the procedure.

So, was it worth the risk? The X-ray was right. The scope found no drugs.

Wait, again? Lmao. Reads almost like the other story. Cop suspected drugs in a dude’s rear end because he was acting suspicious idk, I think the drug dog may have been called as well.

They took the dude around to different places who wouldn’t shove a tube up his rear end. Finally found a Doctor that would, then he got hit with massive medical bills. I think he might have won a settlement in the end

Yep, New Mexico:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justice/new-mexico-search-settlement/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Wait, again? Lmao. Reads almost like the other story. Cop suspected drugs in a dude’s rear end because he was acting suspicious idk, I think the drug dog may have been called as well.

They took the dude around to different places who wouldn’t shove a tube up his rear end. Finally found a Doctor that would, then he got hit with massive medical bills. I think he might have won a settlement in the end

Yep, New Mexico:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2014/01/16/justice/new-mexico-search-settlement/index.html?r=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

his lawyer, Joe Kennedy, said Thursday. "He expects that it won't happen to anyone else ever again."

lmbo

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Makes me feel sick that any doctor would comply with that poo poo

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, just like I'm sure the NYPD banned 'Nightstick Sodomy Summer League'.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

1.6mil is a pretty huge settlement from a city

The new article didn’t seem to say anything about a lawsuit?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
insurance and/or taxpayers always get to foot the bill. this poo poo doesnt stop until it comes out of police pensions.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
You/me: RBG should've retired in 2013

RBG: https://twitter.com/GaryGrumbach/status/1076217282609770497?s=19

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
S&P is at 2410 right now, when does the world end?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Slim Pickens posted:

about 90 minutes after someone does the needful

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
How is reality so goddamned broken that Noam loving Chomsky is arguing for more US intervention in the Middle East?

Oh, right, TRUMP

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Slim Pickens posted:

Thankfully I don't have any money anyway

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

sharknado slashfic posted:

Thankfully I don't have any money anyway

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

How is reality so goddamned broken that Noam loving Chomsky is arguing for more US intervention in the Middle East?

Oh, right, TRUMP

The simulation is breaking down, we're just living through the universal version of pressing ctrl-alt-delete and trying to hit 'restart' before God gets pissed off and pulls the plug.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm sitting here stressing out about which employee I get to fire if the shutdown lasts for more than a few days and this pops up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076239448461987841

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Ok who the gently caress taught Trump how to use MSPaint?

;efb

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bird food bathtub posted:

The simulation is breaking down, we're just living through the universal version of pressing ctrl-alt-delete and trying to hit 'restart' before God gets pissed off and pulls the plug.

Next time I'm definitely telling that girl from fourth grade who liked me that yes, I actually thought she was cute.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

That Works posted:

I'm sitting here stressing out about which employee I get to fire if the shutdown lasts for more than a few days and this pops up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076239448461987841

is this a Norelco ad?

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
A spike for every ICE employee

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Assuming the pic is to scale (:lol:) and measuring off the SUV, it looks like ~30 foot tall, ~7.5 inch wide artistically crafted steel slats with ~10 inch gaps.

Or in other words, you'd need over 7 million of those things to cover the whole border.

$25 billion comes out to around $3.5K per slat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
____ the Impaler 2.0 the writers upstairs are losing their creativity and are burnt out on this it seems.