Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I do like Auron’s “alright time to strap the gently caress in” speech before the Yunalesca fight, but seeing it over and over gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

DACK FAYDEN posted:

She plucked it directly from Squall's mind, it literally says that in-game if you Scan it, it says like "In Squall's mind, the strongest GF."

Not gonna lie Squall having his own OC and declaring it the strongest kinda rules.

Like Griever didn't exist until then, right?

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

She plucked it directly from Squall's mind, it literally says that in-game if you Scan it, it says like "In Squall's mind, the strongest GF."

I thought it might've been a hint that all GFs were created by sorceresses from things people believed in, but I don't think it gets expanded on anywhere else in the game.

FF8 has a lot of cool ideas it never develops properly. I love it but it's frustrating. :argh:

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

The White Dragon posted:

this doesn't make sense because laguna is a champ while squall is just a chump

sometimes a hot dog is just a hot dog

Or in the japanese version, stuffed bread.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

She is from some unspecified point IN THE FUTURE.
She apparently heard some prophecy about a SeeD killing her.
She decided to erase all beings in existence with Time Kompression because then nobody can have the chance to kill her.
She used a future version of Odine's Junction Machine Ellone to travel back to FFVIII present to find real Ellone to go back even further because for some reason she needs to go back further to initiate Time Kompression.
By doing this she enabled the destined SeeD to kill her. Typical self-fulfilling prophecy stuff.

That's really it. People try vainly to give her some depth and a sob story about her being persecuted or something based on her Edea speech in Deling City but that goes nowhere and is supported by nothing as far as I know.

It is clear that witches are persecuted. This literally happens to Rinoa when she receives her powers, and it can be inferred this happens to every witch throughout time because people fear them. I mean, there's even a real world comparison to use here. It's true that the game doesn't go into the specific details of Ultimecia's life, but I wouldn't consider that a fault, especially with Squall's one-track military mindset of "kill the witch, save the future"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

It is clear that witches are persecuted. This literally happens to Rinoa when she receives her powers, and it can be inferred this happens to every witch throughout time because people fear them. I mean, there's even a real world comparison to use here. It's true that the game doesn't go into the specific details of Ultimecia's life, but I wouldn't consider that a fault, especially with Squall's one-track military mindset of "kill the witch, save the future"

Rinoa is being locked up after the two other Sorceresses we know (Adel and Edea) took control of the largest countries in the world with sycophantic followers and laid waste to the planet.

Sorry, I don't buy Sorceresses are oppressed when two of them are not only in high government, they were unquestioned despots.

Unless these tyrants led to Sorceresses being persecuted in the futue in which would still be all Ultimecia's fault because she was one of the tyrants that made people hate and fear Sorceresses.

Now I'll be charitable. I remember the scene after Ellone goes back in time to trick Ultimecia to going back in time. Ellone says "I was in the body of the young Adel..." or something. I always wondered what else she had to say. Was Adel mistreated? I'd like to know mre as Adel was a far superior villain to Ultimecia.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 21, 2018

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Look at loving Adel, her Element is fist. She was mad jacked probably as a kid and singled out

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Rinoa is being locked up after the two other Sorceresses we know (Adel and Edea) took control of the largest countries in the world with sycophantic followers and laid waste to the planet.

Sorry, I don't buy Sorceresses are oppressed when two of them are not only in high government, they were unquestioned despots.

Unless these tyrants led to Sorceresses being persecuted in the futue in which would still be all Ultimecia's fault because she was one of the tyrants that made people hate and fear Sorceresses.

Now I'll be charitable. I remember the scene after Ellone goes back in time to trick Ultimecia to going back in time. Ellone says "I was in the body of the young Adel..." or something. I always wondered what else she had to say. Was Adel mistreated? I'd like to know mre as Adel was a far superior villain to Ultimecia.

What I'm hearing from you is rationalizations for oppressing a certain group of people. We had the Salem Witch Trials in our own world, dude.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

What I'm hearing from you is rationalizations for oppressing a certain group of people. We had the Salem Witch Trials in our own world, dude.

1. I'm pointing out that if Sorceresses like Ultimecia were oppressed in the future, it's directly Ultimecia's fault for having Edea take over Galbadia and launch a campaign of terror across the planet.

2. I was saying there is no real evidence in the game of Sorceresses being oppressed outside of Rinoa and that only happened because of the last two decades of Sorceresses being tyrants who started wars.

The Salem Witch Trials is a really lovely comparison for a lot of reasons, by the way. I'm not rationalizing or justifying Josephine Sorceress being persecuted, I'm saying the game only offers any proof of persecution after Sorceresses do a lot of bad poo poo, including the villain herself. I think you lose the right to complain about mistreatment after you try to murder everyone.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

NikkolasKing posted:

1. I'm pointing out that if Sorceresses like Ultimecia were oppressed in the future, it's directly Ultimecia's fault for having Edea take over Galbadia and launch a campaign of terror across the planet.

2. I was saying there is no real evidence in the game of Sorceresses being oppressed outside of Rinoa and that only happened because of the last two decades of Sorceresses being tyrants who started wars.

The Salem Witch Trials is a really lovely comparison for a lot of reasons, by the way. I'm not rationalizing or justifying Josephine Sorceress being persecuted, I'm saying the game only offers any proof of persecution after Sorceresses do a lot of bad poo poo, including the villain herself. I think you lose the right to complain about mistreatment after you try to murder everyone.

:yikes:

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

More rationalizations. This time loop thing is really messing you up.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ultimecia wanted to kompress the forums into a single post

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

gigglefeimer posted:

More rationalizations. This time loop thing is really messing you up.

She didn't want to die = she tried to kill everybody and thus ended up dying.
She says Sorceresses are persecuted = she goes back in time and launched campaigns of terror and tries to blow up kids with missiles and thus probably makes people fear Sorceresses.

It's pretty basic self=fulfilling prophecy stuff. She is her own worst enemy.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

She didn't want to die = she tried to kill everybody and thus ended up dying.
She says Sorceresses are persecuted = she goes back in time and launched campaigns of terror and tries to blow up kids with missiles and thus probably makes people fear Sorceresses.

It's pretty basic self=fulfilling prophecy stuff. She is her own worst enemy.
I'm morbidly curious about your opinions on Israel/Palestine but at the same time I really don't want to know.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Is FF8 any good? I’ve played 7 and 9 a bunch of times since they came out, but never had any interest in 8.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Open Marriage Night posted:

Is FF8 any good? I’ve played 7 and 9 a bunch of times since they came out, but never had any interest in 8.

It is good. Very different from 7 and 9 so you won't really know if you'll like it until you give it a try.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Plot is bad, but has some pretty funny dialogue and scenes every now and then. Its also probably the best looking PSX game tied with FFIX.

The difficulty and systems tied to leveling up are all over the place. Im not even sure what is the intended way to play 8 because I always break it in half an hour

I think you should play it

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

It's one of the most divisive games in the franchise. You'll most likely either love it or hate it, with no middle ground.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Help Im Alive posted:

Ultimecia wanted to kompress the forums into a single post

Are you saying it's a SeeD's job to shitpost away then?

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Goons....swarming like lokusts.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

It's my favorite FF game by far.

Don't play it. It sucks a lot. I love it but it suuucks

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

the salem witch trials would have been more understandable if witches were real and regularly went around enslaving people with their magic powers

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

cock hero flux posted:

the salem witch trials would have been more understandable if witches were real and regularly went around enslaving people with their magic powers
They were still very bad at accomplishing their stated goal; especially after people started using them as a method for petty vendettas and a way to get rid of "undesirables". It's sort of like the "Red Seare" of the 1950s and '60s; very few of the people turned in by "concerned citizens" were actually Communist spies.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

cock hero flux posted:

So you're either saying everyone in that group of people is evil, or they're not all bad but deserve to be collectively punished for the actions of a few.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

gigglefeimer posted:

So you're either saying everyone in that group of people is evil, or they're not all bad but deserve to be collectively punished for the actions of a few.
there's like 4 Sorceresses in FF8 and 3 of them became magic super hitlers

firing rinoa into space was a reasonable precaution

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

It is understandable that the world at large hates and fears Sorceresses.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

gigglefeimer posted:

Or kill them because apparently if even a single one gets too powerful they can end time itself. Even the ones that are not evil can be manipulated by evil ones.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Tengames posted:

Or kill them because apparently if even a single one gets too powerful they can end time itself. Even the ones that are not evil can be manipulated by evil ones.

Engaging in forever war only serves to radicalize a population, leading some to lash out and in turn provide more perceived justification for further oppression.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

cock hero flux posted:

there's like 4 Sorceresses in FF8 and 3 of them became magic super hitlers

firing rinoa into space was a reasonable precaution

There were a couple of other sorceresses in the game.

They were horrible mutant snake ladies that tried to kill you.

So it's really more like 8 of the 9 sorceresses were horrible murderous blights on the world.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Im glad someone is finally standing up for the mistreatment of the antagonist of final fantasy 8, the video game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

gigglefeimer posted:

Engaging in forever war only serves to radicalize a population, leading some to lash out and in turn provide more perceived justification for further oppression.

Four individuals isn't much of a population.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

Four individuals isn't much of a population.

The entire population does not solely consist of those four.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

Im glad someone is finally standing up for the mistreatment of the antagonist of final fantasy 8, the video game.

I honestly never thought it was that controversial of a reading that the world's fear of witches brought about Ultimecia.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm more kurious what kaused Ultimekia's intense hatred of the letter "C".

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I'm more kurious what kaused Ultimekia's intense hatred of the letter "C".

Was that not an attempt to give her some sort of accent, as she is from many generations in the future? I don't know how she speaks in the original Japanese.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

No, not really.

It's a lot of fun, but the systems are opaque. Have a friend explain them (or just post here) if you give it a go. FF games excel at two things: spectacle and story. 7 and 9 got the story down (and a fair amount of spectacle!) 8's story is a loving mess. Play it for the spectacle.

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

Who are the two sorceresses you fight when you're traveling through time, I always thought there might be a cool story behind that just like everything else in FF8 that was never realized.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

gigglefeimer posted:

Yes but enough about America's foreign policy of the last 50+ years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Don't forget China.