Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

INCHI DICKARI posted:

A *hyuge* part of my slip up was based first off of boredom, second off of thinking I can get away with it, and third not reaching for help when I needed it. I have to own it in order for any chance at progress. Others may be different.

For a second I thought this was in response to someone asking why anyone would do a political toxx and I was like, drat that's heavier than I was expecting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av
One thing i've noticed and am grateful for is that there's been a gradual shift away from irony and other predatory mock behavior on SA. Not even too long back this person would have never been forgiven for their fuckups at all and just endlessly pilloried nonstop every time they posted, and have constant lovely attempts to drive them off. Now we just.. don't do that. If someone fucks up we still shame on them, but if they unfuck and improve it gets recognized rather than the attempts to tear them down just continuing no matter what.

It's a bit heartwarming to see. :unsmith:

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

A bit late on this, but Toxx was a person?? What's the story there??

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

INCHI DICKARI posted:

A *hyuge* part of my slip up was based first off of boredom, second off of thinking I can get away with it, and third not reaching for help when I needed it. I have to own it in order for any chance at progress. Others may be different.

Ive there man, I'm near 6 years clean and I have a spouse and kid and own a house. poo poo will get so much better for you clean.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

I Said No posted:

One thing i've noticed and am grateful for is that there's been a gradual shift away from irony and other predatory mock behavior on SA. Not even too long back this person would have never been forgiven for their fuckups at all and just endlessly pilloried nonstop every time they posted, and have constant lovely attempts to drive them off. Now we just.. don't do that. If someone fucks up we still shame on them, but if they unfuck and improve it gets recognized rather than the attempts to tear them down just continuing no matter what.

Tiresias2 posted:

What about people that share similarities in upbringing or even have fears of being so or have the temptation but never do it? We shouldn't gently caress with them I say! In my opinion we should have an environment where people aren't afraid to talk about it.

My experience: I used to struggle with occasional desires for underage guys but then I introspected, found out why and changed that. You see, when I was a little kid my family was poor, so my mother, instead of giving me attention, was always taking care of some other family's kids. I acquired a subconscious resentment, I think, for unspoilt youth. But it wasn't justified: not only did my mother do everything she could to take care of me and my siblings, the more I introspected the more I realized that my childhood was wonderful, fun and perhaps even unique. Now I can appreciate the youth of other people as something that's not mine, and I also have less trouble getting it up for people my own age, and much more trouble getting it up for people not my age. Curiously enough I was also attracted to older people, which, if we're going to gossip about common traits among pedophiles, I suspect that isn't unusual among them.

"But why do these creeps care what other people think of them?" you might ask. Well for crying out loud it's literally a criminal disease of course they should be afraid. "Then they should just introspect without any of our acceptance!" You say. Well language is essentially social so if we aren't comfortable with the topic in society they'll have a harder go of it. But definitely we should be aware of Woody Allen types who just use psychoanalysis or whatever as a cover for the fact that they aren't actually dedicated to the hard work of introspection. People using psychology as a cover for their own failings is actually a common phenomenon if Karen Horney in her Feminine Psychology is to be believed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Posted Nov 15 this year. You can bet this post would have followed them if they weren't perma'd in the end.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

jobson groeth posted:

Posted Nov 15 this year. You can bet this post would have followed them if they weren't perma'd in the end.

I think any post like I Said No's has an invisible "except for pedos who can still gently caress off to hell forever" at the end as a matter of course.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
One's a cool dude who got back on his feet, the other is a pedophile.

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
It was just a flimsy excuse to post the pedo outing themselves. Goons have definitely matured as they matured.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

DicktheCat posted:

A bit late on this, but Toxx was a person?? What's the story there??

way back when it was a trend for fyad posters to say "if this thread gets N views i will do something dumb" and toxx backed out of his claim when the condition was met, he said he would post a dick pic or something, so he was threatened with a ban if he didn't do it. then anytime anyone said they would do something if something else happened, enforcing that with a ban was called the "toxx clause". that eventually mutated into people offering up their accounts as a bet if something would happen or not

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Ariong posted:

I think any post like I Said No's has an invisible "except for pedos who can still gently caress off to hell forever" at the end as a matter of course.

of course
some poo poo's irredeemable, as good as forgiveness and second chances can be, some poo poo is just completely unforgivable and needs to be treated as such

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

Politicians are sports teams for nerds.

So hard

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm laughing like a sixth-grader at the name Karen Horney.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

If memory serves, her last name is pronounced "horn-eye."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

luxury handset posted:

way back when it was a trend for fyad posters to say "if this thread gets N views i will do something dumb" and toxx backed out of his claim when the condition was met, he said he would post a dick pic or something, so he was threatened with a ban if he didn't do it. then anytime anyone said they would do something if something else happened, enforcing that with a ban was called the "toxx clause". that eventually mutated into people offering up their accounts as a bet if something would happen or not

Yeah, at the time it was apparently popular in FYAD to do those "if thread gets X views/posts then I'll do Y" kinds of threads Toxx promised to duct tape his dick to his balls if the thread achieved a certain number of posts. It did. He didn't. I think Toxx turned out to be a woman and thus have neither a dick nor balls to duct tape or something. Or maybe just didn't do it? People suggested that Toxx should be banned for failing to produce said dick and ball taping. Lowtax agreed, banned him (her?), and it forever became known as the Toxx Clause. Now it's a hallowed SomethingAwful tradition.

I think the threads also fell out of favor because some home grown was involved and people were declaring some completely insane levels of posts. Like "if this thread gets 100,000 pages I'll put hot sauce on my dick and eat it" or something similarly ridiculous.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

CaptainSarcastic posted:

it do

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

I Said No posted:

sa has always been cool with people actually trying to unfuck themselves

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Okay, that's less funny...except now I'm imagining a big ol' Texas guy stomping around yelling, "Shoot-dang, I sure is horn-eye!" hahahahaha I am hungover

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

sa has always been cool with people actually trying to unfuck themselves

Being unfucked is a goon tradition.

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

Being unfucked is a goon tradition.
Unlike getting hosed. :v:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I should have said, "Going unfucked." That's what I get for posting early.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
it's the essence of the pissing in the well quote that initially everyone is stoked to help

GelatinSkeleton
May 31, 2013

felch me daddy jr. posted:

Unlike getting hosed. :v:

That's the joke!

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009
Yeah, not sure how I missed that initially, ignore my dumb rear end.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Missing jokes is also a long SA tradition.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

ToxicSlurpee posted:

While I get that terrible decisions are a time honored goon tradition toxxing for politicians is one thing I'll just never really get. You literally can't gain anything from it. Nothing at all. You either are correct and get nothing or you are wrong and get banned.

I've thought election toxxes were dumb since mccain and I'd invalidate all of them if it were up to me but toxxes in general are cool as a tax on bullshit. A willingness to wager :10bux: on something communicates a degree of certainty that mere words sometimes cannot.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I've thought election toxxes were dumb since mccain and I'd invalidate all of them if it were up to me but toxxes in general are cool as a tax on bullshit. A willingness to wager :10bux: on something communicates a degree of certainty that mere words sometimes cannot.

Also there are people who toxx for third party candidates which shows some serious loyalty. Maybe a foolhardy amount.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

sweet geek swag posted:

Also there are people who toxx for third party candidates which shows some serious loyalty. Maybe a foolhardy amount.

spines need metal

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BANS CURE BONES

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

sweet geek swag posted:

The Avenatti thread toxxers are hilarious because they're all like "it's totes ironic and it was worth it for the broken record poo poo memes" and they're still doubling down on the extremely online nothing matters broken NEET angle :laugh:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Elephant Ambush posted:

The Avenatti thread toxxers are hilarious because they're all like "it's totes ironic and it was worth it for the broken record poo poo memes" and they're still doubling down on the extremely online nothing matters broken NEET angle :laugh:

The fun of irony poisoning is watching contrarians turn bandwagons into hills to die on.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To some degree political toxxes are a game of chicken with your forums opponents who you want to see get banned. It's a form of spite.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I’m just now learning what Karen Horney did, but for decades I’ve been laughing at her name every time I take a particular off ramp from the 59th st bridge and see her clinic there.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Snowy posted:

I’m just now learning what Karen Horney did, but for decades I’ve been laughing at her name every time I take a particular off ramp from the 59th st bridge and see her clinic there.

Thank you for this surprising stock photo! I am laughing harder!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

There’s probably thousands of people a day laughing at that sign, they’ve got a great location in midtown.

The Horney people are so proud they made it the only image on their homepage

http://www.karenhorneyclinic.org

I have no idea why this first came up in the thread anymore but there you go.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Krankenstyle posted:

BANS CURE BONERS

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Looks like we've got another traveling thread. It's a holiday miracle!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3877268

Starts in e/n, gets moved to TFR, and is currently in PI.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Thanks, JD, that's cool.

Why are there so many people making niche threads in pyf suddenly? Is it just a dumb meme or is there something more sinister like a sub forun rivalry or trying to push a particular thread far from the first page?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks, JD, that's cool.

Why are there so many people making niche threads in pyf suddenly? Is it just a dumb meme or is there something more sinister like a sub forun rivalry or trying to push a particular thread far from the first page?

PFY just got taken hostage, which is a pretty good saga?
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3878065

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Drunk Nerds posted:

Thanks, JD, that's cool.

i just wanted to post giraffes.... whatever. you know what? gently caress this. this is the last time i reach out and try to do a nice thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

I like your giraffe thread, pog.