Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Seems pretty reasonable to ask for a chapter vote before creating a new member group that wants to represent the chapter and use its resources

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ventura DSA is having a holiday party tonight. I'm bringing Rosè wine and rose-infused vodka.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
you can really tell the left is primarily made up of 20 somethings with no life skills because the drama always flares up the worst during wintertime SAD season / holiday break, then gradually subsides until summer break, when it flares up again.

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Slanderer posted:

Seems pretty reasonable to ask for a chapter vote before creating a new member group that wants to represent the chapter and use its resources

Yeah but we should also be aware that procedural stuff should be flexible enough to deal with situations on the ground and have transparent resolution. Because even if everyone is acting 100% in good faith it's very easy for things to seem like favoritism for pet issues or sandbagging something the SC and admins don't like.
Also let's be honest, there are plenty of folks who either aren't operating in good faith or who are so standoffish and bad at dealing with people it's always gonna feel like they're trying to ratfuck you even if they're on your side.

and I say this as someone who had a few situations in the last year where procedural stuff just always happened to just barely keep some of my working groups from doing stuff my local's strongly anti-electoralism SC and politics committee didn't want to happen.

Coolness Averted has issued a correction as of 21:45 on Dec 21, 2018

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS
Jeremy Gong didn't bring it to a vote, he (multiple times) stopped it from getting to a vote. The people behind the brake lights had to get 10% of the membership to sign on to the clinic to FORCE Jeremy to allow it to be voted on. Even then, the was 0 mention of it on any of the Momentum controlled EBDSA social media which was really awesome considering that's the only material support the coalition needed from them. Strangely enough it was easy to get DSASF to help out on that front.

Vhak lord of hate has issued a correction as of 22:33 on Dec 21, 2018

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Jeremy Gong didn't bring it to a vote, he (multiple times) stopped it from getting to a vote. The people behind the brake lights had to get 10% of the membership to sign on to the clinic to FORCE Jeremy to allow it to be voted on. Even then, the was 0 mention of it on any of the Momentum controlled EBDSA social media which was really awesome considering that's the only material support the coalition needed from them. Strangely enough it was easy to get DSASF to help out on that front.

Yeah but check it out: Democracy doesn't mean you get whatever you want. :smuggo:

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

As an aside the new social media person for EB is awesome and drums up interest for more than just M4A lit drops and somehow it hasn't descended into madness yet.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Vhak lord of hate posted:

Sure but have you considered that some ephebophiles on reddit said it was actually SWJ wreckers trying to wreck

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

But ah, heh did you not realize that Jeremy Gong, himself, is a poc? Seem to have caught you in a sjw logic trap.

doug fuckey
Jun 7, 2007

hella greenbacks

Larry Parrish posted:

i dont know anything about EBDSA but I guarantee 80% of the chapter is literal gentrifiers who are like 'well I moved here after they kicked all the Mexicans out so it wasn't me'

like half of active ebdsa are grad students lol

The Ghoul
Dec 8, 2011

I got a cobra for a cock and some wrought iron balls

GunnerJ posted:

Yeah but check it out: Democracy doesn't mean you get whatever you want. :smuggo:

You want your vote to matter, anarkiddie? How does it feel to be a wrecker?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
For the past like 2 years its been the same half dozen chapters nationwide that keep loving around and generating bad press and drama and poo poo

maybe nationals should do something about it

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Zesty Mordant posted:

like half of active ebdsa are grad students lol

This is every chapter though

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Phi230 posted:

For the past like 2 years its been the same half dozen chapters nationwide that keep loving around and generating bad press and drama and poo poo

maybe nationals should do something about it

Got bad news about the composition of national leadership if this is your remedy.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

unbutthurtable posted:

In more important news, did any chapters have any fun holiday parties or fundraisers?

it wasn’t a chapter but the nyc dsa chorus fundraiser for the migrant exodus earlier this month was super dope

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
our casual bar event was a holiday thing but since half our (active) chapter have been labor organizer for like 7 years together theres probably a random party that will appear on my Facebook events sometime next week

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!
So I attended a city council meeting with other members of Richmond DSA because the council was voting on setting up a commission to look into whether the big dumb money-sucking stadium the city wants to build would be a better use of money than repairing our lovely schools. A lot of that evening is a blur to me, but thankfully a senior member livetweeted it until his phone died:

https://twitter.com/RVAdirt/status/1074798662696484865

https://twitter.com/RVAdirt/status/1074811474802106370

https://twitter.com/RVAdirt/status/1074837683099308032

Solitair has issued a correction as of 11:32 on Dec 22, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:siren: A reminder that you have until December 31st, 2018 to contribute to the 2018 D&D/CSPAM charity/blood drive. :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876907

(December 31st for the gang tag that is, you can obviously donate blood or to charity all year :) )

unbutthurtable
Dec 2, 2016

Total. Tox. Rereg.

College Slice
does anyone else think the gang tag should say "gift of blood" ?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

what the gently caress is this https://twitter.com/QueerDSA/status/1075554110911311874

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Where's the lie?

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

DSA Orgone Accumulation Caucus

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
That post seems fine and you kinda seem like a prude.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

GunnerJ posted:

Where's the lie?

it's in the posted tweets fyi

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

that's an anthropological fact lol

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Or, at the very least, extremely ignorant of the field of anthropology.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

pretty sure people have known where babies come from since, uh, forever

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

um? actually? the only biologically and historically normal way to have sex is the way i have it?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

Yeah, storks, loving DUH

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Those seem to be completely different points!

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

an actual dog posted:

that's an anthropological fact lol

sex at dawn was panned by actual anthropologists and has been rather comprehensively shown to be a fraudulent work, hope this helps

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Jonah Galtberg posted:

sex at dawn was panned by actual anthropologists and has been rather comprehensively shown to be a fraudulent work, hope this helps

gently caress science, this is all about putting people into "good" and "bad" buckets based on how and who they gently caress, in the name of solidarity of course

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
"Cisheteronormativity is a colonial construct" is a fairly mainstream historical and sociological idea as far as I'm aware, is it not?

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
WERE BREAKING THE CONDITIONING

IM GAAAAAAY

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
In addition to the "how to get more women and poc in dsa" question dsa also needs to figure out how to get non computer touches or people in academia in it.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Bushiz posted:

In addition to the "how to get more women and poc in dsa" question dsa also needs to figure out how to get non computer touches or people in academia in it.

Less stupid drama.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Dreddout posted:

WERE BREAKING THE CONDITIONING

IM GAAAAAAY

hell, same

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

"Cisheteronormativity is a colonial construct" is a fairly mainstream historical and sociological idea as far as I'm aware, is it not?

The same is true of the category "natural," which when applied to human affairs is almost always an attempt at normalizing one thing and stigmatizing another. "Natural" and "queer" are not really friends, and in fact the entire purpose of queer as a category is to break down the natural/unnatural dichotomy.

There's nothing inherently revolutionary about the kind of sex people have or the relationships they develop, as demonstrated by how sex is arguably the only domain in which the liberalism of the last 100 years has managed to expand human freedom.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Bushiz posted:

Gotta figure out how to break down the theory into relatable language that doesn't involve academic terms or the work of anybody born before 1980 imo, I've spent a lot of time trying to explain leftist politics to non-college educated coworkers and older people my parents' age and the biggest hurdle is breaking the theory down into language they find relatable. When I went to DSA Milwaukee meetings they had some good sessions where they would discuss specific policies or ideas that would affect people's lives immediately, such as a shorter work week or universal childcare, so that the ideas could connect with people on a practical level.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tercio
Jan 30, 2003

Woof Blitzer posted:

Less stupid drama.

lol absolutely not, how else will i have a fresh crop of people to scold?