Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
To distract from that awful post, one thing I love about this movie is that they seem to be letting everyone who worked on it be pretty open about the creative process.

https://twitter.com/NickTyson/status/1074699550865018880

https://twitter.com/DANIELPEMBERTON/status/1075425772012216320

Robin Williams' R-rate Genie outtakes are still buried in the Disney vault almost 30 years later while John Mulaney swearing as Spider-Ham is something they're actually using to promote the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6l3h5e4fbg&t=339s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

Too many words about Spider-Mens.

No one cares. Did you listen to to the Christmas album?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

howe_sam posted:

I never could get a good look, but was Steph Curry a golfer in Miles' dimension?

Yep.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it if was it's a stroke meta-textual genius, but if you listen to the full version of What's Up Danger?, you can hear the Prowler siren all the way through it. That's one hell of a nice touch.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Also I don't know if this was intentional or not, but it if was it's a stroke meta-textual genius, but if you listen to the full version of What's Up Danger?, you can hear the Prowler siren all the way through it. That's one hell of a nice touch.

It's like the (Spider-)man says

He'll always have his family.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

To distract from that awful post, one thing I love about this movie is that they seem to be letting everyone who worked on it be pretty open about the creative process.

What they're not open about is how the movie doesn't look very good. It's technique without artistry. The combination of animation techniques is remarkable, but because the narrative of the choreography and composition are pedestrian, it's only glitz. The movie presents an arts-and-crafts world where there is never enough willingness to go all the way with an effect. The pacing does not allow the movie to indulge in a particular visual enough for audiences to appreciate it.

At daytime the environments are sterile, while at night they hardly capture how lighting hides as much as it reveals. The complex shades of film noir are reduced to high-contrast blacks and whites. The modern arts -inspired climactic showdown lacks the discipline of abstract representation. The movie never achieves a visionary quality, and its lack of meaning is summarized in a cliché scene where (a) Spider-Man is dazzled by New York’s digital billboards. People should be cannier than to be impressed by capitalistic excess.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 22, 2018

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For a man who hates comic books, science fiction and fantasy, you sure like indulge in a fuckton of it. :thunk:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

nine-gear crow posted:

For a man who hates comic books, science fiction and fantasy

???

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Bravest you'd be a hell of a lot less exhausting to deal with if you even bothered to care about the difference between subjective opinion and objective fact, because as it stands you are the world's most arrogant motherfucker.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Bravest you'd be a hell of a lot less exhausting to deal with if you even bothered to care about the difference between subjective opinion and objective fact, because as it stands you are the world's most arrogant motherfucker.

I differentiate them 0% of the time, which means that it's actually 100% of the time.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."

Acebuckeye13 posted:

I’m all for people presenting their opinions as factual statements. The implied, “in my opinion” shouldn’t have to be stated. With that said, the more contrary an opinion, the more important it is to support it with facts. Stating a contrary opinion as fact, and then supporting that conclusion with a whole bunch of other contrary opinions, makes you look arrogant and wrong.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
Everyone knows that the villain of Up was totally contrived though, and the influence from the 2008 Large Hadron Collider panic in Spider-Verse is obvious.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Large Hardon Panic

But seriously though, have you listened to Chris Pine sing Jingle Bells as Spider-Man yet?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Watched this last night and it was the most fun I had watching a comic book movie this year. Not since Venom did I actually enjoy a comic book movie. Marvel studios movies suck so much in comparison imo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Bravest's reading of Miles' place in this movie ultimately fails not only because he's an obtuse dumbass, but because his critique is utterly devoid of cognizance of Miles' race, culture, or class and their importance on his feelings of familiarity with his neighborhood, why he didn't feel comfortable going to the nice school, why he purposefully tried to flunk, and why he feels frustrated that being Spider-Man doesn't come as easily to him

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Watched this last night and it was the most fun I had watching a comic book movie this year. Not since Venom did I actually enjoy a comic book movie. Marvel studios movies suck so much in comparison imo

All I’ve seen of Venom is the kissing scene between Eddie and Venom. If the rest of the movie is like that tonally, then it looks like it would be loving blast of a dark comedy but I somehow doubt it is. Still, it’s incredibly telling that Venom, a movie Sony tried its damndest to burry, did better at the box office than Justice League.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Hi, I am a design generalist in animation and a colorist for comics! I went to see this movie with a background designer and painter, a storyboarder and comic artist, a clean-up artist and revisionist, and an animator and animation director! Between all of us, the only complaints were editing composition and frame rate distribution between action and dialogue scenes. We all acknowledged these were supreme nitpicks because the overall movie was just so goddamn successful at what it did.

I have not heard anyone in animation argue this is a poorly-made movie. Because it's not.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

All I’ve seen of Venom is the kissing scene between Eddie and Venom. If the rest of the movie is like that tonally, then it looks like it would be loving blast of a dark comedy but I somehow doubt it is. Still, it’s incredibly telling that Venom, a movie Sony tried its damndest to burry, did better at the box office than Justice League.

I actually laughed so much in the theater. It’s a good time

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Also, yeah, Venom is the most entertaining live-action Mavel movie. I was either full-body laughing or had my mouth agape throughout.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was totally opposite for myself. Venom was painful all the way through and no jokes landed at all. Tom Hardy is wasted in this role, the symbiote suit looks like absolute poo poo, the final fight is loving dumb and its just another piece of poo poo.

Thor 3 is my vote for most entertaining live-action Marvel movie. It hit everything out the park.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Venom is the silliest poo poo and people were way too hard on it. The fact that people cite Hardy losing his mind in the restaurant as a low point and not the best scene in the film is insane to me.

Corrosion
May 28, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

You really need to watch Venom! It's hilarious and great, and not in that dumb "Well, err um it gets lucky" backhanded acknowledgement that you may have read. It's a good time.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

grieving for Gandalf posted:

Bravest's reading of Miles' place in this movie ultimately fails not only because he's an obtuse dumbass, but because his critique is utterly devoid of cognizance of Miles' race, culture, or class and their importance on his feelings of familiarity with his neighborhood, why he didn't feel comfortable going to the nice school, why he purposefully tried to flunk, and why he feels frustrated that being Spider-Man doesn't come as easily to him

As noted, the basic idea of Spider-Man is that a teenager adopts a superhero identity to escape his daily life, only to meet with frustration and failure. It's a reversal of the Zorro/Superman formula where some weakling has a secret identity that he uses to right wrongs.

In Spider-Verse, Miles Morales is a teenager who wants to escape his daily life, but never has the same choice. The moment he gets superpowers, he's drawn into inter-dimensional intrigues where his own initiative becomes secondary, and throughout he gets molded to become another Spider-Person among many.

This leads to the basic problem that the whole Spider-Person aspect of his character becomes redundant and obfuscates his own individuality. If he's not trying to escape his daily life as Spider-Man, then there's not really point to it. He's just serving as an understudy. He even loses his beloved uncle,, as if he universe was going through a checklist so that he can fit a certain template.

Just consider that he gets his powers from being bitten by an evil corporation and then puts on a store-bought Halloween costume before he gets an unique superhero suit. He's progresses from an individual to a consumer and ultimately into a product.

Stan Lee and Steven Ditko created a superhero character who reflects teen anxieties. Now Spider-Verse presents a teen character who reflects superhero anxieties.

And speaking of race, it's very noticeable that Miles Morales doesn't have any black peers in the movie outside of some walk-in roles at the beginning. Even with a black protagonist they managed to work in some tokenism.

Das Boo posted:

I have not heard anyone in animation argue this is a poorly-made movie. Because it's not.

No one has argued that the animation is not technically competent. It goes beyond competence: the technology at work is truly impressive.

It's just that there's more to art then technical competence.

For example, the Lord of the Rings movies showcase remarkable technology, and it's visuals are still amateur hour compared to, say, John Boorman's Excalibur.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 22, 2018

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
:chloe:

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Thanks for the Venom recs, by the way. I think I might have to check it out after all.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I, for one, am glad that Bravest thinks he knows more about animation than the actual working animator.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I, for one, am glad that Bravest thinks he knows more about animation than the actual working animator.

I am in perfect agreement with Das Boo that the movie is well produced.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vintersorg posted:

Thor 3 is my vote for most entertaining live-action Marvel movie. It hit everything out the park.

My problem with Ragnarok is that it felt like the film was constantly undercutting serious or emotional moments with jokes, and bad ones at that. It's unfortunate, since I enjoyed it overall, but it left me wishing that they'd had more confidence in their film to let the emotional moments stand on their own.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Vintersorg posted:

It was totally opposite for myself. Venom was painful all the way through and no jokes landed at all. Tom Hardy is wasted in this role, the symbiote suit looks like absolute poo poo, the final fight is loving dumb and its just another piece of poo poo.

Agreed, Venom's box office success seems to be almost entirely due to it being a statistical aberration that appeals to both dumb angry Facebook guys who seem to consume it vicariously in the same way that they think The Joker and Patrick Bateman are aspirational figures and fujoshi who have spent the past month schlicking like crazy over how they ship Tom Hardy and his CGI slime boyfriend.

Which is one more way Spider-Verse blows it out of the water even when it comes to dumb fandom weirdos, Spider-Ham innocently riding around on SpiderNoir's shoulders > Tom Hardy-chan going :nyoron: because Venom-tan wants chicken nuggets at three in the morning

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Acebuckeye13 posted:

My problem with Ragnarok is that it felt like the film was constantly undercutting serious or emotional moments with jokes, and bad ones at that. It's unfortunate, since I enjoyed it overall, but it left me wishing that they'd had more confidence in their film to let the emotional moments stand on their own.

Worse, the movie is called Ragnarok but the Norse gods don't all die in it. Talk about having one job.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

i've always thought this forum needed another SMG, but without the moments of insight that made having SMG around worth it

thanks BOTL

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Guy Mann posted:

Agreed, Venom's box office success seems to be almost entirely due to it being a statistical aberration that appeals to both dumb angry Facebook guys who seem to consume it vicariously in the same way that they think The Joker and Patrick Bateman are aspirational figures and fujoshi who have spent the past month schlicking like crazy over how they ship Tom Hardy and his CGI slime boyfriend.

Which is one more way Spider-Verse blows it out of the water even when it comes to dumb fandom weirdos, Spider-Ham innocently riding around on SpiderNoir's shoulders > Tom Hardy-chan going :nyoron: because Venom-tan wants chicken nuggets at three in the morning

:chloe:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

They need to make a live-action Spider Man Noir movie with Nicholas Cage.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
My only complaint about the movie is the years of superhero (and specifically Spider-Man) movie fatigue I had to suffer through in order for this movie to come into being. But it was all worth it.

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!
On the subject of connecting the mundane stuff to the rest: One thing that struck me about the movie was that while I expected Miles's performance as Spiderman to be a mirror of his school problems, the situations don't actually seem to be in agreement? The "all wrong answers means you knew all the answers" scene with his teacher shows that Miles is sabotaging himself because he wants out, while his experience as Spiderman comes off as more mundane learning pains. You might be able to reconcile these by saying that Miles is (subconsciously I guess?) sabotaging himself as Spiderman like he does at school, implying that there's something about the possibility of success as Spiderman that terrifies him? Whatever that something might be.

My gut tells me that they're conflating "afraid to express yourself" and "afraid to be extraordinary", since that seems like the a potential meeting point between hiding his art from his dad, feeling weird about going to the "school for stuck up elites" (or however they gestured at some kind of ressentiment), and Spiderman stuff? But there's also room in there to suggest that Miles is afraid of his own power -- or more specifically having power over others, which would link his anxiety over attending the elite school to his reluctance to engage with his police officer father? Like going to a private school makes you a cop

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I've seen him slam into a lot of brick walls on these forums. This has been the funniest one so far, not gonna lie.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

mmmmalo posted:

On the subject of connecting the mundane stuff to the rest: One thing that struck me about the movie was that while I expected Miles's performance as Spiderman to be a mirror of his school problems, the situations don't actually seem to be in agreement? The "all wrong answers means you knew all the answers" scene with his teacher shows that Miles is sabotaging himself because he wants out, while his experience as Spiderman comes off as more mundane learning pains. You might be able to reconcile these by saying that Miles is (subconsciously I guess?) sabotaging himself as Spiderman like he does at school, implying that there's something about the possibility of success as Spiderman that terrifies him? Whatever that something might be.

My gut tells me that they're conflating "afraid to express yourself" and "afraid to be extraordinary", since that seems like the a potential meeting point between hiding his art from his dad, feeling weird about going to the "school for stuck up elites" (or however they gestured at some kind of ressentiment), and Spiderman stuff? But there's also room in there to suggest that Miles is afraid of his own power -- or more specifically having power over others, which would link his anxiety over attending the elite school to his reluctance to engage with his police officer father? Like going to a private school makes you a cop

The confusion comes from the movie being very scattershot. This leads to undeveloped ideas like the cosmic spider-web connecting dimensions.

nine-gear crow posted:

I've seen him slam into a lot of brick walls on these forums. This has been the funniest one so far, not gonna lie.

Das Boo and I aren't disagreeing, though. The movie is well produced. What I've just noted is that still doesn't make it good.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Shut up Bravest, god drat you're dumb as gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmmmalo
Mar 30, 2018

Hello!

The confusion comes from the movie being very scattershot. This leads to undeveloped ideas like the cosmic spider-web connecting dimensions.

That's probably part of it, but I also think accounting for apparent contradictions is just part of the process of tying stuff together? Some of the confusion is just mine, I mean