Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

That Works posted:

I'm sitting here stressing out about which employee I get to fire if the shutdown lasts for more than a few days and this pops up

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1076239448461987841

Hi, I used some scale based on the vehicle and some things I know to calculate that using such a design FOR THE STEEL ALONE would be like 400 billion or the full length of the Mexican border.

Terrifying Effigies posted:

Assuming the pic is to scale (:lol:) and measuring off the SUV, it looks like ~30 foot tall, ~7.5 inch wide artistically crafted steel slats with ~10 inch gaps.

Or in other words, you'd need over 7 million of those things to cover the whole border.

$25 billion comes out to around $3.5K per slat.

You have to remember the 15-20 feet your going to have to drive the slat (pile pragmatically) assuming sandy soils.

SquirrelyPSU fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Hi, I used some scale based on the vehicle and some things I know to calculate that using such a design FOR THE STEEL ALONE would be like 400 billion or the full length of the Mexican border.

How many pesos is that?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That Works posted:

I'm sitting here stressing out about which employee I get to fire if the shutdown lasts for more than a few days and this pops up

the Star Citizen of border walls

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We're dumb as hell.

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1076251073407463424

https://twitter.com/Emma_Dumain/status/1076250646389682176

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

How long is this shutdown lasting?

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

SquirrelyPSU posted:

You have to remember the 15-20 feet your going to have to drive the slat (pile pragmatically) assuming sandy soils.

Oh definitely putting those things in is going to be astronomical, you probably couldn't build those for 3.5K a pop even if they were made out of 2x4s. Just another point on why Trump's whole $25 billion shutdown is so ridiculous.

I'd love to see what inventive ways people can come up with for passing bulk material quickly through a 10 inch wide gap.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

DoktorLoken posted:

More than a week and I'm pretty hosed. Punts grant cycle another 6 months, means money runs out before projects finish. I fire people who I hand picked to work for me and really enjoy, makes tenure decision much harder etc.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

DoktorLoken posted:

Until the next federal election when either Trump gets booted, the senate flips blue, or the house flips red.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
This is Donny's last chance to get wall money until 2020, isn't it? That's why he's fighting so hard?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Mexico gonna pay

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

That Works posted:

Tell them to comb the desert!

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/MikeDrucker/status/1076251528887980037

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

That Works posted:

Lmbo the drug runners can just use the fence itself to slingshot the cargo with 100 pesos in surgical tubing.

Perfect.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Fister Roboto posted:

https://twitter.com/KT_So_It_Goes/status/1076260998804357127

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Next time I'm definitely telling that girl from fourth grade who liked me that yes, I actually thought she was cute.
I'm going to decide against telling the cute girl in 3rd grade that she must be a boy because she doesn't have boobs next time.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Yes Sharknado Slashfic that attractive girl is hitting on you in front of her boyfriend and no, for the love of god don't date her when they break up

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Trump was spotted on top of the White House this evening screaming about wanting an opera house.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

EBB posted:

Trump was spotted on top of the White House this evening screaming about wanting an opera house.
He's more of an Aguirre than a Fitzcarraldo. I kind of predicted that this whole thing would end like that. Floating aimlessly on a raft overrun by monkeys, having gotten everyone else killed. and ranting about how he's going to knock up his daughter and form the purest dynasty ever.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
so is the shutdown happening or what

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DoktorLoken posted:

nobody because we don't have a foreign policy these days other than Trump's insane impulses.

The United States has no coherent foreign policy but the international system is being shaped by its schizophrenic actions. The international (lack of order) is also....evolving i guess and the next President will have to do with the very lovely hand trump is leaving behind. There a intelligent ways to discuss this but the trump thread is loving retarded. the last time i posted there i got probied and im still kinda butt hurt about it. They go down really weird insular rabbit holes and dont understand or are unaware of like basic international relation....things

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Waroduce posted:

so is the shutdown happening or what

Yup.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMrqlo_L-gY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That Works posted:

Reminder that our president is chummy with a guy named Vlad.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Casimir Radon posted:

He's more of an Aguirre than a Fitzcarraldo. I kind of predicted that this whole thing would end like that. Floating aimlessly on a raft overrun by monkeys, having gotten everyone else killed. and ranting about how he's going to knock up his daughter and form the purest dynasty ever.

I made this exact joke in one of the pre-election threads, right down to linking the end of that drat movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

I made this exact joke in one of the pre-election threads, right down to linking the end of that drat movie.
I did too. It's just too perfect a fit.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

If the government shuts down and I don’t get paid I’m not coming into work Staff Sergeant!

Why is it ok for the government to consistently shut down, and we’re all just like well w/e that time of year

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
The military is left out of this shutdown. Their funding was paid up with the defense bill.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ya I just wanted to make that dumb joke

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
logrolling and pork barrel spending has been eliminated from congress

turns out that was what was keeping everything together. now they just have partisanship

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I wonder if Trump would accept DACA legislation in exchange for the wall.

Would that be a bad deal? 5 billion is just some starting money, and eminent domain lawsuits will probably hold up a lot of the construction.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
I was supposed to start a fellowship with the Federal Executive Board at Interior in a few days, guess I can kiss that goodbye.

Thanks a lot Trump you loving worthless sack of poo poo who embezzled cancer donations and probably raped underage girls on your pedophile friends estate.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

bob dobbs is dead posted:

logrolling and pork barrel spending has been eliminated from congress

turns out that was what was keeping everything together. now they just have partisanship

I think there's a good argument to be made that pork barrel spending was the lubricant that helped the bipartisan sausage get made.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DoktorLoken posted:

I think there's a good argument to be made that pork barrel spending was the lubricant that helped the bipartisan sausage get made.

I think there's more than a good argument, it's a better explanation than "idk they all spontaneously became assholes"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

everyone always mentions the reality show Trump had, but don’t forget all the beauty pageants and his creepy obsession with those and waltzing into changing rooms

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

everyone always mentions the reality show Trump had, but don’t forget all the beauty pageants and his creepy obsession with those and waltzing into changing rooms

To be fair, if you were a fat lazy rich piece of poo poo with no moral compass and a 5th grade intellect, wouldnt you be attracted to intelligence you understood?

"Theyll totally think its an accident. theyll love it even. Im famous"

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
They so perfectly capture and mock that infuriating hand gesture bullshit the mushroom dicked smooth brain does.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
aaaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

https://twitter.com/JenniferJJacobs/status/1076339358901432320

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH

quote:

A common perception, even among Fed experts, is that presidents can’t fire the chair and board of governors once they take office. They’re thought to be like the Supreme Court in that regard, although they don’t serve for life.

But that’s not quite correct.

The Federal Reserve Act doesn’t explicitly give the U.S. president power to fire the Fed board members. But section 10 has a mysterious little phrase indicating it’s at least possible.

“…thereafter each member shall hold office for a term of fourteen years from the expiration of the term of his predecessor, unless sooner removed for cause by the President.

DO IT YOU PUSSY

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Torrannor posted:

I wonder if Trump would accept DACA legislation in exchange for the wall.

Would that be a bad deal? 5 billion is just some starting money, and eminent domain lawsuits will probably hold up a lot of the construction.

Not a goddamned dime for the wall jfc

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Not a goddamned dime for the wall jfc
Give the impotent bitch an inch and he'll declare victory. Make Mexico pay for it like he said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:tipshat: