Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm all about Willam yelling at the AS4 Queens for not having their talent show songs for sale immediately on iTunes during this week's Race Chasers.

I'm all about how loving tired everyone is of sponges and brown cow stunning lmao. I'm here for p much all of what Willam said, other than his being bored by/wanting Gia's number to be more drag and less traditional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

I'm all about how loving tired everyone is of sponges and brown cow stunning lmao. I'm here for p much all of what Willam said, other than his being bored by/wanting Gia's number to be more drag and less traditional.

Wouldn't it in part depend on your description of drag? I mean, to me Gia's performance was drag, because she was wearing stereotypically feminine clothing and Performing stereotypically feminine dance, in as much as I know about anything relating to Japanese culture. It just wasn't Western. Granted, I might just be an idiot who has a limited understanding of what drag as a concept actually represents. Saying it's not drag based on my understanding what drag is, doesn't make sense

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tendai posted:

Wouldn't it in part depend on your description of drag? I mean, to me Gia's performance was drag, because she was wearing stereotypically feminine clothing and Performing stereotypically feminine dance, in as much as I know about anything relating to Japanese culture. It just wasn't Western. Granted, I might just be an idiot who has a limited understanding of what drag as a concept actually represents. Saying it's not drag based on my understanding what drag is, doesn't make sense

More drag in the most basic sense of like, bigger wigs, higher energy, more gags kinda thing. At least that's what I'm p sure Willam was getting at when he said he wanted more out of it.

I thought it was perfect, myself. Low energy for the variety show but w/e I'd rather see queens do actual talents than an endless streams of lipsyncs to songs they're going to drop.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

esperterra posted:

I'd rather see queens do actual talents than an endless streams of lipsyncs to songs they're going to drop.

strong agree. to me the 'song drop' talent isn't really appealing unless you're Courtney or Adore or someone who really busts those pipes - who's actual talent is singing. i was glad Monique sang live but the song wasn't super memorable.

Gia, Trinity and Manila to me really carried the talent show for actually utilising their skillz and being downright entertaining.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺
I was rewatching as2 and Alyssa is still the only performer to come out and do a lip sync for a talent show and have enough else going on to actually entertain me. Not that I’m opposed to a fierce lip sync but something about that being the underlying premise of the show makes it feel less impressive as a talent in this context

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Malcolm Turnbeug posted:

I was rewatching as2 and Alyssa is still the only performer to come out and do a lip sync for a talent show and have enough else going on to actually entertain me. Not that I’m opposed to a fierce lip sync but something about that being the underlying premise of the show makes it feel less impressive as a talent in this context

Yeah, if you're an Alyssa or a Shangela then do your thing, baby. It helps they also have a very specific vibe to their lip syncs, lots of fast dialogue or weird mashups of poo poo on top of the crazy Haus of Edwards energy. It's enough of a whole package to make up for being just another lip sync imo.

zedar
Dec 3, 2010

Your leader

Tendai posted:

Maybe this is unreasonable, but I feel that if you're actually a woman coming out dressed as a woman isn't enough to qualify as / feel like drag (which I know is controversial, but I guess this is why the whole concept of admitting trans people into the competition is controversial). I want it to be bigger or more over the top or something.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

zedar posted:

Maybe this is unreasonable, but I feel that if you're actually a woman coming out dressed as a woman isn't enough to qualify as / feel like drag (which I know is controversial, but I guess this is why the whole concept of admitting trans people into the competition is controversial). I want it to be bigger or more over the top or something.
For me that gets into one of those areas that I don't feel like I can talk comfortably about - specifically transwomen doing drag traditionally as done by out-of-drag male-presenting people - without totally talking out of my rear end as someone who has no real insight into either except through the internet and Drag Race. I do get the desire for more over the top, that does make sense.

That being said the non-singing non-comedy performance was great and I wish Gia wasn't just so... Gia offstage.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pinwiz11 posted:

I'm all about Willam yelling at the AS4 Queens for not having their talent show songs for sale immediately on iTunes during this week's Race Chasers.

Agreed. So your talent is lip syncing? If you were that good, you wouldn't have gone home the first time.

These queen need to do something that highlights something they can do that other queens can't do. If your talent, during a talent show, is to do the same thing that every other girl there can do, and several even better, why are you doing it all?

Also, during the Race Chasers, Willam brought up the fact that each of the queens got to film their talent twice. Some had spinning things that they dropped (I'm guessing Latrice or Gia), but didn't show. The reason why they showed Farrah's slip and fall was because that was her first time through. Her second time, her boa got caught on something, she shouted, "This loving boa," and ran off stage.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I can get where Willam was coming from re: Gia's performance, but I don't buy it. This is a talent show, this is chance to show your skills (in one minute :psyduck:), so Gia doing traditional Kabuki worked for me. Should she have been in the Top 2? I'd say no because I don't think the performance was good enough, but under no circumstances would that performance have put her in danger of being in the bottom two.

tbh, I'd rank Gia's performance above Latrice's.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
So, FYI:

You can keep on creating free accounts to watch VH1 Live for 24 hours. Just open an incognito tab in Chrome.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I'm so happy Farrah started feeling her oats for this episode, her vocal part was so much better than I expected

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I'm really curious about what's going on in Gia's head with this Farrah drama.

She fully admits that she is the one who wronged Farrah, but because Farrah didn't accept her apology, she's now gunning for her.

It makes no sense.

Also, that pun was unintentional.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

THANK YOU FOR CASTING GIA THAT WAS FANTASTIC!

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Jeeeeesus christ I'm done with Gia now

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Gia please leave asap thanks

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I do think that this is a great way to feature someone like Stacy Layne Matthews who is extremely likable but probably would not do well on an All Stars season.

What other queens could fill the same type of role in future seasons?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Nihonniboku posted:

I do think that this is a great way to feature someone like Stacy Layne Matthews who is extremely likable but probably would not do well on an All Stars season.

Farrah Moan. :v:

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Nihonniboku posted:

Tammie Brown! :)

I enjoy Gia's villain turn!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Hug in a Can posted:

Tammie Brown! :)

A challenge where the queens have to find their inner weird!

Hug in a Can posted:

I enjoy Gia's villain turn!

turn?

Hug in a Can
Aug 1, 2010

NICE FLAMINGO
kind heart
fierce mind
brave spirit

:h: be good and try hard! :h:

Nihonniboku posted:

A challenge where the queens have to find their inner weird!

turn?

haha true, every time she's on the show she's been taking a villain turn, but you know what I mean!

I love the drama in this episode :allears:

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
Ok, I totally understood why VH1 blurred Valentina's naked buttcrack / tucking mound

I don't quite get why they blurred her boy nipples.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

I guess the only nice thing to say about Gia tonight is I liked how she repurposed Alexis Mateo's pink dress from season 3.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Of those bottom two, I feel like the right person got selected, but dammit if I don't wish it was Gia

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

I'll be happy when Gia goes home but drat she made this episode entertaining. :munch:

warez
Mar 13, 2003

HOLA FANTA DONT CHA WANNA?
I fully expected Gia to be in the bottom and Monet to win that lipsync.

The “you don’t love me” callback was too perfect for Valentina not to win though

This Snatch Game of Love looks juuuiicy

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

warez posted:

The “you don’t love me” callback was too perfect for Valentina not to win though

This Snatch Game of Love looks juuuiicy

Gus Kenworthy makes me juuuiicy

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

warez posted:

Monet X spoilertextpadding had a way stronger end after the song kicked in, but the other person opened strong and carried that strength all the way through. You can't just stand around for the first minute loosely touching your hips and expect to win, even if you do eventually tear it up.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I'll post some more thoughts later but the runway this episode was loving outstanding

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I was real drunk at the bar and feelin some str8 girl blues (ugh why is it always a straight girl tho lord save me) but that was a good ep and I'm glad I drank my sorrows with my people

ilu Farrah but twas your time

also sry for the drunk feels

in other news the bar had Damita Jo deadass just playing over the holislay spectacular while waiting for the new ep to start and it gave me my jush god i love that album

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU DO WITH $1000 IN ICE CREAM? IS THERE A TIME LIMIT? DO YOU GET IT ALL AT ONCE?

That would be one hell of a party. Sunday Drag Sundaes.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

man i want iced creams

i still can't decide if monet or villaintina shoulda won

into you is my fave ari bop but such a bland lip sync song

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
I know there’s a long way to go and a lot of lip syncs to know the words to but this was The Valentina Episode™ and I’ll be shocked if I see her lose the crown.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Villaintina is so drat good and when she hit that note tho <3

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming

Valentina walking into the workroom each day narrating her outfits :perfect:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
VillainGia could definitely take some notes from Villaintina on how to "win" at reality TV

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I'm sorry to see Farrah Moan leave after witnessing that legit clapback in the werkroom. Too bad it sailed over Gia's head since she has absolutely no capacity for self-reflection.

Pinwiz11 posted:

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU DO WITH $1000 IN ICE CREAM? IS THERE A TIME LIMIT? DO YOU GET IT ALL AT ONCE?
Fired at you from a T-Shirt cannon.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
lmao gia really tried it huh

Okay but I loving love Monique living for the performances on the other team, she's just here to have a good time. It's competition but it's friendly to her.

Valentina's dress is so drat loose there is no WAY they keep those lipsticks in there during the lipsync. They just hand them off to a stagehand and get given them back when the time calls for it.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I will go out and say that as a character, I love Gia and what she is bringing to the season. She’s such a villain and her actions in this episode just made me laugh and be like”Oh Gia :allears:.” I mean the edit is setting her up for a big fall and I’m curious and looking forward to seeing where it goes. It’s been a while since RPDR has had a true out and out villain and I wouldn’t be surprised if she relished the role or was playing up her villainry. It’s almost cartoonish.

I also love how dramatic Valentina makes everything. It all feels larger than life and things like her narrating her workroom outfits to having a moment being dramatic about wining the challenge is just everything. She’s a fun narrator as well because she brings such gravitas towards everything going on.

I have high hopes for this season because the characters are just great and knocking it out of the park. I remember why I loved Valentina in season 9 and I’m liking what the girls are bringing. I hope they can keep up this momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerd_of_prey
Mar 27, 2010
Episode 2 was amazing. Wish Naomi and Latrice got more screen time, they were great in the performance and I was surprised they were just safe. I hope Gia is kicked off soon as her shadiness has been fun but I want to focus on the talent now. The preview for next week looks great, I love me a messy snatch game!