Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Aristotle says that people watch tragedies to experience catharsis, I imagine acting one out via LARP is just like that only more. Like, if you had a lovely and kind of controlling ex for a while it might feel good to spend a night play-acting someone who got through a much, much worse relationship and is still doing okay.

Or of course the LARP could be more about the dope urban fantasy with side helpings of horror and metafiction parts of Changeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
There have been vamp LARPs in the USA that weekly. It’s utterly absurd and I can’t imagine how people could handle that without losing their minds. (Obviously the answer is that they do wind up losing their minds.) But yeah, a game where there’s regular tabletop meetups and downtime actions and maybe the occasional remote scene for one-on-one interactions with NPCs is a perfectly valid model, if a bit of extra work for everyone involved, which is fine if you’re only playing monthly.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I asked in a meetup group if anyone played wod and some group invited me that larps Changeling the Lost.

I already know I'm not interested in larping but I'm curious what people get out of it for a game like that. At least with Vampire I get the appeal of everyone pretending to be rich, sexy, or powerful. I don't see what people get out of larping CtL.

Granted I've never larped so maybe my notion of why people do it is skewed.

Changeling is actually a great format for a LARP if you ignore the origin stories beyond 'the Fae are terrible' and don't explore it too deeply.

Courts and pacts alone make for great social fuel in a LARP environment, the fact that you get to be dressed up as rubbish faeries is also part of the fun.

However if you imagine that any given Vampire player character has like a 5% chance of being some kind of bugfuck weirdo who missed the memo on what the game is supposed to be about, Changeling is like a 50% chance.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Meinberg posted:

There have been vamp LARPs in the USA that weekly. It’s utterly absurd and I can’t imagine how people could handle that without losing their minds. (Obviously the answer is that they do wind up losing their minds.) But yeah, a game where there’s regular tabletop meetups and downtime actions and maybe the occasional remote scene for one-on-one interactions with NPCs is a perfectly valid model, if a bit of extra work for everyone involved, which is fine if you’re only playing monthly.

We play mage for about 4 hours about every other week at my house. And then we do some downtime stuff via email. It's much less work than when I was running DnD because encounters (if there are any this week, they've taken heavily to talking their way out of trouble), are easier to plan for the most part. And the last big encounter I did plan (a twilight re-enactment of a Civil War battle to steal a supernal artifact from a ghost mage) got mostly skipped because MAGE.

I don't plan individual scenes anymore.

It does help that I have a mostly full setting for them to screw around in, so the most I end up doing is 20-30 minutes of planning a week anymore trying to guess where it might end up going. It helps that they're open about telling me where/what they want to do in advance.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Modiphius is in charge now. The roller coaster for oWoD continues

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Who

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

They did Achtung Cthulhu and a bunch of licensed stuff like Star Trek.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

UK company, did Achtung! Cthulhu and a bunch of licensed games based on their in-house 2D20 system (Conan and Star Trek being big names), occasionally will sneakily hire GMS as a freelancer and try to keep it quiet by crediting him as "Michael Brophy".

They did the printing and distribution for V5 so them managing more of the line makes sense. Onyx Path getting the job would have been cool, but they simply don't have the printing and distribution connections that Modiphius do.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So short version: they in effect fired everyone except the Nazis?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...no? Modiphius is probably gonna produce workmanlike but not exciting material that no one gives a poo poo about.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I guess that's a relief?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Honestly, it depends on who Modiphius bring in to do the writing (I note that it's far from clear from the announcement which individuals Modiphius are putting in charge of any of these projects). They could rehire all the Nazis, they could just hire a bunch of Onyx Path writers, they could use their own regular freelancers.

AIUI they had no input on the content of V5/Camarilla/Anarchs though - literally all they did was print and distribute the material that ParaWolf had developed. So there's a chance that they will keep the Nazis out, there is a chance the Nazis will all come back.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Also pretty relevantly Modiphius are the people who just remade Kult. I'm not sure how well they handled that but it would probably be a good benchmark for how they will handle oWoD.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

neaden posted:

Also pretty relevantly Modiphius are the people who just remade Kult. I'm not sure how well they handled that but it would probably be a good benchmark for how they will handle oWoD.

That's, uh, a really bad sign of the F&F of remade Kult is anything to go by.

It did not seem like it came out well.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

neaden posted:

? No they're not, that's Helmgast.

Modiphius might be involved in the distribution, but if so it's on the down low - Kult's not listed on their website.

EDIT: OK, weirder and weirder: Modiphius are definitely doing distribution, and there is in fact a Kult section on their site, but it's not listed in the drop-down menu of their games on their front page. Guess they're a little shy about it.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

shame is the best loving quality for a company in this business

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Modiphius also distributes Legacy 2e by SA’s very own Jay Iles, and Legacy 2e is good. They distribute all sorts of products.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I think the one time I heard anything particularly negative about Modiphius is that they need to hire more women.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
All I know about the games listed here is that Achtung Cthulhu had a good sidebar about handling the portrayal of Nazis with care while also having a book that lists a couple dozen Elder Gods and the ways they can be dealt with. Judicious use of artillery can either millennia-long KO or permanently kill a little over half of them, including a lot of the Big Names. I enjoyed that.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Apparently if you didn't pre-order Anarch and Camarilla, you're SOL. The books will not be available in print OR digital, and Modiphius will decide whether to reprint/edit.

https://blog.white-wolf.com/2018/12/20/vampire-modiphius-partnership/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I mean, good decision.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Holy crap, I didn't think they'd go that far.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Mors Rattus posted:

I mean, good decision.

White Wolf's edited version will still go out to pre-orders (individual and store), but after that.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I''ve seen from a couple places that worldofdarkness and its subscription service are also dead as of today. Wonder if there's going to be a lot of people looking for :filez:

edit: Yup, confirmed, and refunds won't be processed untill Q1 (I hope for people's sake that means JANUARY, not March)

http://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?5915-WorldOfDarkness-com-Closing-Down

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Dec 20, 2018

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SirFozzie posted:

White Wolf's edited version will still go out to pre-orders (individual and store), but after that.

Yeah, and I honestly think that's the best they can do, since the other option is total refund and that money is hella gone, the product exists, there is literally no economical way to do it.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

So does this mean Ericson is pretty much fired? That's going a long way to (mostly) erase the mistake of that book.

I admit when I saw 'Modiphius is in charge' before I looked at the article I thought they were talking about some vampire metaplot thing. That name sounds like a vampire metaplot name.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, and following up on the WoD website thing, usually when they discontinue something they soft-soap it like "It was a good effort, but we felt our fans deserved better).

Not so this time

https://twitter.com/ShamsJorjani/status/1075501434404265984

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Night10194 posted:

So does this mean Ericson is pretty much fired? That's going a long way to (mostly) erase the mistake of that book.

I admit when I saw 'Modiphius is in charge' before I looked at the article I thought they were talking about some vampire metaplot thing. That name sounds like a vampire metaplot name.

From the blog post, it certainly sounds that way.

The creation and sale of these books would not happen under the incarnation of White Wolf that we are building

Which basically goes back to "We weren't going to make books after these anyway" but it is interesting wording along with

I see White Wolf in the future as a company that will continue steering the World of Darkness as the setting for incredible experiences that both entertain and challenge our players, but with strong editorial leadership, and more guidance and input from a broader set of voices. There needs to be new leadership for this new direction, and we believe Modiphius will be an integral part of this process with regards to Vampire, but there are more steps still to be taken for the World of Darkness and White Wolf as a whole.

Which sounds like "Edgelords be gone"

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

If he isn't fired, he's in a much less influential role, to be sure.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Modiphius publishes so much stuff that it's hard to point to any one thing and say that reflects on how they'll handle the oWoD gamelines. Hopefully they hire good writers.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Modiphius publishes so much stuff that it's hard to point to any one thing and say that reflects on how they'll handle the oWoD gamelines. Hopefully they hire good writers.

Modiphius is good, they've made an excellent Star Trek RPG and Conan is good too.

They sell Kult in the UK but it's from Helmgast in Sweden, they didn't make it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thorsilver posted:

Modiphius is good, they've made an excellent Star Trek RPG and Conan is good too.

Infinity seems good, too. I think they're a bit hamstrung by having to deal with running everything past the license-holder, but it seems to work well by all accounts.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
I had forgotten that Dracula killed Marilyn Monroe and embraced Howard Hughes. The Dark Destiny books were wild. Shame about the pedophile editor.

Luarien
Apr 27, 2013

Der Waffle Mous posted:

I think the one time I heard anything particularly negative about Modiphius is that they need to hire more women.

To be fair, just about everyone in the business needs to hire more women.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Loomer posted:

Shame about the pedophile editor.
whitewolf.txt

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Modiphius has also done a pretty good job with the Mutant Chronicles license, and their Kickstarters are typically* either problem free or worth the wait.

They're very professional, which is a rarity in the industry.

(*The Infinity RPG has been a mess, largely due to CB micro-managing the setting - So it's hard to fault Modiphius for that one.)

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."
This owns.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Night10194 posted:

That's, uh, a really bad sign of the F&F of remade Kult is anything to go by.

It did not seem like it came out well.
Best thing about the new Kult is that more or less directly encourages the use of an X-Card-like mechanic, which a) is edgelord Kryptonite and b) makes a lot of the dodgier ideas and examples of play more palatable, because if you assume the people in those examples are actually following the advice in the book on getting everyone on the same page and consenting on the content being used and there's an X-Card mechanic in play which allows anyone to withdraw consent at any time without explanation or justification, that puts a very different spin on it than if you assume they aren't doing that.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I was talking to a buddy tonight and brought up DtD, because I thought he'd dig some of the concepts and DtD loving rules. Afterwards, since he knew of VtM, we got into the differences between oWoD and nWoD and what a metaplot and poo poo was. He asked me, basically, why someone interested in nuVampire wouldn't just play rVampire (god there are too many abbreviations and he didn't know the names but that was basically his question) like how someone wanting to play old school D&D could just pick up the 1e players guide. I talked to him a bit about how tabletop RPG game design evolves and builds off each other, how since the 1990s game design got a lot more thoughtful about asking like, how the rules they have encourage a particular style of play, and how new ideas filter into the mainstream through more experimental games. He thought that loving ruled. You know what? It totally does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
It's like not actual technology where you can look at literally the best way to do something and implement and build on it but the technique of game design, for people who are actually interested, has advanced tremendously over the years.