Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

TMMadman posted:

Why who needed to go?

3468. He goes into the WTC to send an email to the director to say the traveler program is a failure. Then he looks out the window. The IP he sent the email to is a public address, so he could have sent that email from anywhere..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

It might have just been to make it dramatic for TV, but I'm sure you could justify it by saying the email the director was looking for from 001 was from one specific address to another so he needed to access that specific guys account.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

mossyfisk posted:

If 001's plan was to upload himself to the internet...

why did he build a time machine?

I got the vague impression that the time travel effect was inextricably linked with the remote consciousness transfer.

Cojawfee posted:

3468. He goes into the WTC to send an email to the director to say the traveler program is a failure. Then he looks out the window. The IP he sent the email to is a public address, so he could have sent that email from anywhere..

But it's much more impactful storytelling if he does it from where he does it.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Gridlocked posted:

Oh I thought his looking out and looking at his watch was implying that he was waiting to die having achieved his personal objective of stopping 001 but instead of doing just that the Director activated Ver. 2 and that prevented 9/11 from happening which was why he has the slightly concerned look on his face and kinda rushes off. Because he's thinking "Ok plane will hit in a second I'm gonna look outside annnnnd no plane.... oh hell."

Chalks posted:

It could have been, it was a pretty ambiguous scene - but if that's the case then it would be a huge deal and I would have expected them to make it more obvious

I had the same, "wait, what?," reaction so I went and looked it up:

(Spoiler, E10)
He left ~10 minutes before the first plane.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
That was just loving MEAN, DIRECTOR

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOOOOOUUUUUU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I think I know what episode you're on.

:smith:

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I have rarely been this loving cry mad at a TV show. My dog got upset I was so upset. Thanks to a goon in this thread I got spoiled but nothing prepared me.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
And what fresh hell is this?!

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

I like the way that the director is portrayed as this moral ideal pseudo god but also a completely callous rear end in a top hat at the same time. In a way it's a shame that the faction isn't portrayed in a more complex and sympathetic way as a result. There was some conflict with specific moral decisions but they didn't take the opportunity to create a really sympathetic character that had been screwed over by the director. We never knew much about the faction members and their individual motivations at all really.

Sloth Life posted:

I have rarely been this loving cry mad at a TV show. My dog got upset I was so upset. Thanks to a goon in this thread I got spoiled but nothing prepared me.

Final episode spoiler:

Honestly the way the season ended was the only thing that could cheer me up after that. It was really good seeing them getting together without traveller interference, I could imagine them not appearing in a future series since their story seems to be so nicely tied up

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Agreed. They just do drat cute together, and and if Phillip sight is to be believed, so much more cute. Also the Marcy actress is a proper pocket rocket isn't she?

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
The bad thing is with the end of season 3 it means alcoholic, abusive Jeff lives on beating Carly; Trevor likely continues to be a dick to his mother and do stupid poo poo with his life and Phillip dies of an overdose. Marcy is the only one to get a real happy ending in this timeline :smith: Oh at least Grace doesn't get replaced too but that is kinda less meaningful if there's no 0115 to build a real connection with her.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Since the Director is doing Version 2, Carly, Trevor, Phillip, and Grace are probably still being replaced. Maybe not with the same travelers.

How much will it gently caress up Grant if Kat is supposed to die in this timeline and medic-traveler goes into her?

Lycus fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Dec 22, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Finished yesterday, god drat Canada make the good TV show.

Only criticism I really have is that Mac slipping that physicist the 'Helios' note, because the problem wasn't them miscalculating it's course or something like that, they didn't detect it until it was far too late to do anything about it in the OG timeline - the FBI Director notes it was a "Previously undetected asteroid" or something like that - and even with much more knowledge about it, they needed crazy future tech to deflect it.

Though I guess there could have been more information about where to look on the back of the note?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
If he gave them an extra decade and a half, it could be incentive for the US and EU to go whole hog into R&D and international cooperation. Coastal hardening. Could be a big deal.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Ms Adequate posted:

Finished yesterday, god drat Canada make the good TV show.

Only criticism I really have is that Mac slipping that physicist the 'Helios' note, because the problem wasn't them miscalculating it's course or something like that, they didn't detect it until it was far too late to do anything about it in the OG timeline - the FBI Director notes it was a "Previously undetected asteroid" or something like that - and even with much more knowledge about it, they needed crazy future tech to deflect it.

Though I guess there could have been more information about where to look on the back of the note?

I think they covered this in the Helios episode. By the time they detected it, it would be too late. Detecting it a decade out gives a hell of a lot more options, presumably.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They just need enough time to train the oil rig crew.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Sloth Life posted:

I'm seriously sorry, that poo poo was on me. Don't drink and post.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Catching the spoiler sentence without the context was funny for me because it made me go: "Oh, they meant Trevor." "Oh, wait, they meant David!!!" "Oh, not David. I guess they meant Trevor after all." "Oh..."

It seems like they anticipated "A main character dies" half-spoiler getting out, so they designed the story to trick you into assuming it's Trevor.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Dec 22, 2018

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah there's all kinds of wacky things you can do to asteroids to deflect them, even just getting something out there to toss literal paint on it can cause a deflection if you do it far enough in advance. It seems reasonable that there's enough "this isn't a hoax" and "this is how you should go about fixing this problem" details in there that it's gonna be solved without further future interference.

Really the biggest Traveler time-hack of all, based on what we've seen, would be sending them to the 21st, gather just all the extra intel, then have a time machine set up in the 21st to then send them back even further to the 90s and start working on it from there. Easy enough to get a TELL when you have plenty of time to look into your host's past.

If you really get trippy with it you could have someone constantly overwriting themselves, or basically creating their own extended groundhog day loop. That'd be doable just in the 21st as well. Who knows if the mind can handle that much repeated stress, but they've made it seem like the big deal difficulty is the big time deference between the future ant the 21st. You can certainly overwrite the same person more than once with a traveler host as well.

Establish a solid TELL as a baseline, start doing stuff to try to fix the future (preferably with you working things behind the scenes 001 style), see how that goes. Then after a year of that you overwrite yourself at that TELL point, do the same thing but better. You're kind of doing things the way the Director does them but at a smaller scale and with better intel and specialized knowledge and training about how to get done what you want to get done. I'd dig this being explored at some point, someone who's kept overwriting themselves and gotten past the moral quandry involved in that.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

NowonSA posted:

You can certainly overwrite the same person more than once with a traveler host as well.

Didn't that gently caress a woman up in 17 Minutes?

Edit: Different travelers, but it seems like a brain can only handle a few overwrites.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 22, 2018

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I'm seriously sorry, that poo poo was on me. Don't drink and post.

No worries, one day I'll learn to leave threads alone until im caught up! Thats my fault

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Lycus posted:

Didn't that gently caress a woman up in 17 Minutes?

Edit: Different travelers, but it seems like a brain can only handle a few overwrites.

in a short period of time.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Didn't both Walt and the Bomber get nosebleeds from their second tells?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

pseudorandom name posted:

in a short period of time.

Is there an example of overwriting more than a few times over a long period time?

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Yeah, I can't say that it's a zero risk proposition, but it seems quite doable for a solid 10 cycles at least. Then maybe you start leaping into different hosts, having different members of the team do it instead, etc.

17 minutes had some real brain melting going on, but that was a lot of downloads into the same time frame coming in from the distant future. If multiple downloads at or near the same TELL are an issue then you can just not do that, really as soon as you hop into the host's past you can start establishing your own safe TELL "reset" points and just keep track of them. I guess eventually your brain pattern gets too old and that'll kill you, but you certainly get a lot of bang for your buck until then with far more efficacy than we've seen so far with the Traveler teams.

Getting Helios taken care of properly, for instance, becomes a lot easier when you have multiple attempts at it from start to finish with the boots on the ground knowing exactly what went wrong. For maximum efficiency and redundancy you have a second traveler team shadow the first one in secret and that team has someone go back to fix things. It's kind of like the 17 minutes approach to fixing things going pear-shaped on a Traveler op, just getting more mileage out of the approach with what seems like a higher chance of success.

There probably should be some kind of handwave for why this hasn't been tried before (to our knowledge) and why it's never come up as a possibility. My best guess is that the Director didn't want to put the decision/power to travel in time solely in the hands of humans, which my idea would definitely involve, and there's a good reason to be cautious about that with the havoc that 001 caused. In an extreme example, 99% of travelers using this strategy in the "right" way might not be worth the 1% of travelers who would act against the Director (members of faction for instance) or out of selfish self-interest. Or you get one total psycho in there and suddenly there's a timeline with a complete nuclear apocalypse that you need to clean up.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

How was that skydiver going to die, again? Her parachute seemed to work fine.

AtraMorS
Feb 29, 2004

If at the end of a war story you feel that some tiny bit of rectitude has been salvaged from the larger waste, you have been made the victim of a very old and terrible lie

Lycus posted:

How was that skydiver going to die, again? Her parachute seemed to work fine.
Collision with the other skydiver I think.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Sloth Life posted:

Agreed. They just do drat cute together, and and if Phillip sight is to be believed, so much more cute. Also the Marcy actress is a proper pocket rocket isn't she?

What is pocket rocket

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

So did 9/11 not happen or what

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
We don't know because the last time he checked his watch, there was still ten minutes to go.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

zoux posted:

It seems like it does happen and the main question is whether Mac left in time to survive or not. Certainly, none of the "season finale explained" websites mention it being averted although whether their sources have any insider knowledge at all is anyone's guess.

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
I think Mac was there to shoot 001 in the face if he did show up.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The way it looked it was like Mac was looking out the window lost in thought, and then looked at his watch like "Oh gently caress, right, 9-11" and took off.

Anyway really good season, hope they do another, even though that seems up in the air.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

CeeJee posted:

I think Mac was there to shoot 001 in the face if he did show up.

Oh, right. He can't be certain that the Director will listen to his email.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
It's really hosed up the director sent 001 to die in 9/11. There's no guarantee it would be a quick death. He could spend hours impaled by rebar until he finally bleeds out. No wonder he instead ran away.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

zoux posted:

type this in notepad: 3468 hid the facts

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Ah, finally finished the show, so I can read all the spoilers now! Glad to see everyone seems to agree it was a great season.

I liked how as the season went on you could see that the director was screwing up more and more. That business with the serial killer especially, okay sure he couldn't have known that, but for a project that would save a billion lives you'd think that he'd give his Traveler more than a few hours and not pick someone who might burn to death after arriving. Or just have another Traveler team nearby with a fire extinguisher to pick him up, how about that?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Sloth Life posted:

Also the Marcy actress is a proper pocket rocket isn't she?
Certainly made the beginning of season 1 slightly awkward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Sloth Life posted:

Does pocket rocket mean something else where you live?