Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

I thought he was very funny. His bio photo definitely does look he has the sun in his eyes though. Also much like Alison he gave up his dignity by putting his name on the Emoji Movie and now that's his lot to live with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
"I've made 3 movies since Emoji Movie why don't you ever talk about them?"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

“Another satisfied customer.”

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
A decent amount of Mike's screenwriting credits are for fairly well received movies. The emoji movie definitely brings down the average but i love school of rock. It also helps that it was basically the only pg13 movie I could get away with playing when I worked at Blockbuster

heybrother
Jan 4, 2013
[quote="“Adus”" post="“490921394”"]
A decent amount of Mike’s screenwriting credits are for fairly well received movies. The emoji movie definitely brings down the average but i love school of rock. It also helps that it was basically the only pg13 movie I could get away with playing when I worked at Blockbuster
[/quote]

And to be fair, he got brought on to do two weeks of work on it (according to him, but also very common for veteran screenwriters) and did his best to salvage what was already probably a piece of poo poo commissioned by studio hacks.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think what's most funny about Mike is its become undeniable that for the bulk of the game he was holding back his actual personality and snark so he didn't rub anyone wrong and then he like had a glass of wine in the Final 6 and it came rushing out and its hilarious.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Mike muttering and poking around in the sand lazily while holding the glass of wine was a pretty good moment made better that he still managed to be the one to find the clue.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

"Idiots."

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it's hard to say since we only get to see such a small and carefully curated piece of the entire game, but I feel like Mike would've stood a better chance of winning if he owned his stubbornness as driving the game the way he needed it to go, similar to -----Todd----- in China. Mike dictated a LOT of votes - possibly more than anyone else? - and talking about being a driving force for taking out Davie (specifically to remove Nick's backup plan) might've swayed people.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

it's hard to say since we only get to see such a small and carefully curated piece of the entire game, but I feel like Mike would've stood a better chance of winning if he owned his stubbornness as driving the game the way he needed it to go, similar to -----Todd----- in China. Mike dictated a LOT of votes - possibly more than anyone else? - and talking about being a driving force for taking out Davie (specifically to remove Nick's backup plan) might've swayed people.

From what I've seen of him and one of his post interviews I think once he got to FTC and sat next to the public defender whose father had to sell plasma to buy milk... He thought people (not the jury, the public) would find him a complete rear end in a top hat if he went on the offensive.

I agree he well might have won, but in the moment he didn't like what that would make him, or at least how it would make him look

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think Mike just ultimately found it difficult to sell "I spent the entire game pretending to be someone else to gain your trust so I could get you to make the moves I want made and you'd get your throats cut while I'd stay in people's good graces so you should totally give me - a rich and successful millionaire - the million dollars and not this charming guy who played a pretty good game and who is digging himself up from nothing and a sad background story who also now helps people." He knew how it would look so he just kind of aborted.

Maybe he could have pulled it off but being that kind of an rear end in a top hat obviously wasn't worth it to him. I guess my only real question is whether he would have been more willing to do it with Allison the emphatic doctor or Kara the ball of the light and positivity.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

heybrother posted:

And to be fair, he got brought on to do two weeks of work on it (according to him, but also very common for veteran screenwriters) and did his best to salvage what was already probably a piece of poo poo commissioned by studio hacks.

The Emoji Movie is competently written (maybe because of Mike?? I dunno), it's just a basic Hero's Journey film, I'd say it was cliche but it's a children's movie and even good ones rely on cliche. Animation is fine. Voice acting is fine. Really across the board everything is adequate.

The problem is that it's souless. Or, rather, anti-soul.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Mike White did Enlightened so that absolves him entirely of the emoji movie in my opinion

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

i laughed SO FUCKIN HARD at that

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Mike's jury pitch wasn't great, and Nick had the more well-rounded character and storyline.

Nick basically won it at the ball challenge

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I wonder what happens if Kara wins that last challenge. Presumably Nick still wins if he makes fire, but Mike/Kara/Angelina? Hmm.

Elizabeth: Probably Kara. Could really go either way.
John: Mike
Dan: Mike
Alec: Kara
Carl: Uhhh really no idea here. Kara probably because they were on a premerge tribe together.
Gabby: Hmm. Not sure on this one. I almost want to say Angelina, but Mike might get her vote instead.
Christian: Mike
Davie: Hmm. Based off post game interviews, probably Kara.
Alison: Again, not sure. Probably Kara, but I could see her respecting Mike fighting back from the bottom of the Goliath tribe.
Nick: Probably Mike.

So it'd be a pretty tight race then.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

I think Mike would win of those three since he could pretty aggressively sell his gameplay. Maybe Dan's efforts to boost Angelina would have worked in that context though lmao. Who knows?

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Gluten Freeman posted:

I think Mike would win of those three since he could pretty aggressively sell his gameplay. Maybe Dan's efforts to boost Angelina would have worked in that context though lmao. Who knows?

literally no one would be able to elevate angelina enough to get the votes to win.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Nobody else is as dumb as Dan so I doubt Angelina would get more than his vote.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think Mike just ultimately found it difficult to sell "I spent the entire game pretending to be someone else to gain your trust so I could get you to make the moves I want made and you'd get your throats cut while I'd stay in people's good graces so you should totally give me - a rich and successful millionaire - the million dollars and not this charming guy who played a pretty good game and who is digging himself up from nothing and a sad background story who also now helps people." He knew how it would look so he just kind of aborted.

Maybe he could have pulled it off but being that kind of an rear end in a top hat obviously wasn't worth it to him. I guess my only real question is whether he would have been more willing to do it with Allison the emphatic doctor or Kara the ball of the light and positivity.

In a red carpet interview with Arisa Cox, Nick said no one knew he was a lawyer; he told them all he was a social worker. So his speech during F3 might have had more impact than if they'd known he was well-versed in making oratorical arguments to sway juries.

ps don't know if anyone mentioned it but I loved the time after Nick had spoken to jury and Probst said, "Okay now let's hear from Mike" and Angelina piped up with, "I'ma let Mike talk but first I want to say..." and she basically hijacked the conversation. Classic Goliath move.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Dec 22, 2018

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I feel like we're underselling the brilliance of Nick's lie there. First off, it instantly makes him more sympathetic than if people knew he was a lawyer, even a public defender. Secondly, it's a lie that very few people are going to question him on, because the vast majority of people know Jack poo poo about social work. Thirdly, even on the off chance someone does know enough to grill him on it, the fact that he is essentially a government employee working with impoverished clients in a legal capacity means that he likely does know the ins and outs of the social welfare system better than almost anyone who isn't a social worker. It's likely that he works closely with social workers on a regular basis.

So basically, it's a lie that makes people more likely to trust him, less likely to ask questions, and in the event that he does meet a skeptic, there's a good chance he can satisfy them with what does know.

The best lies are truth-adjacent. :devil:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I'm not American so maybe there's something I'm missing, but what did Angelina mean when she called herself a person of color?

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Per posted:

I'm not American so maybe there's something I'm missing, but what did Angelina mean when she called herself a person of color?

It means she is not white

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

She's Latina.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She’s a rice fairy.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Mike's exit interview gave me life but he sounds more actually-drunk than hung over to me. He's slurring, his word choice makes very little sense, he's belligerent, and honestly I think he sounds worse in those 10 minutes than Johnny Fairplay did way back when, and Fairplay was kicked off the podcast until he got sober if I'm not mistaken.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Y'all I'm watching season 20 heroes vs villains, and this one boy JT gave Russell from the other tribe his hidden immunity idol and a hand written letter. Ahahaha and the best part is I bet this insane move will work in neither sides favour and I'm hoping to see someone be voted off with idol in pocket or just a whiffed idol play.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Let's just say it pays off in the most beautiful fashion. :allears:

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Umm yeah I was bout to edit that post to say, wowza. I actually skipped ahead after the immunity challenge and I'm now going back to see what drama played out to result in this double idol play. I loved Parvati before but hahaha what a boss. Special bonus to hear Sandra so delighted to receive her idol gift and Parvati handing them out like Santa Claus. I feel like this totally makes up for any coattail riding flak she got on her winning season. I would totally love for her to win this again, even though I totally wanted Amanda to in their season. Don't think it'll happen because she just blew her big wad but kind of opens herself up as a huge target and plus I just kind of think they wouldn't let somebody win twice? Though I suppose they could have a final 2/3 of all winners or just winner(s) with some hated peeps.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Khanstant posted:

Y'all I'm watching season 20 heroes vs villains, and this one boy JT gave Russell from the other tribe his hidden immunity idol and a hand written letter. Ahahaha and the best part is I bet this insane move will work in neither sides favour and I'm hoping to see someone be voted off with idol in pocket or just a whiffed idol play.

I always wondered where he found a pen to write the note with, but I assume the producers found out what he wanted to do and ran to provide him one for hilarity’s sake

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Murmur Twin posted:

I always wondered where he found a pen to write the note with, but I assume the producers found out what he wanted to do and ran to provide him one for hilarity’s sake

if i remember correctly, amanda's luxury item (which never gets talked about or mentioned anymore) was a notebook, so i guess he was lucky for that.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Hey party people, I don't know how this happened to my life but some non-goons are running an internet survivor that doesn't completely suck. It's mostly Skype-based. Here's their application:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uwJgaK7xsIS2WFKqJWneYJWplDuO_5x2dbLLERnkLo8/viewform?edit_requested=true

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Adus posted:

if i remember correctly, amanda's luxury item (which never gets talked about or mentioned anymore) was a notebook, so i guess he was lucky for that.

I'm pretty sure they don't do this anymore. Even out of camera shot.

Though Kaoh Rong did a little bit of a callback where a luxury item of yours became a pre-merge challenge reward.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This little moment of Amanda and Danielle fighting over the Idol clue in their reward has me cracking up. Reminds me of fighting with my younger siblings when we were kids.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Khanstant posted:

This little moment of Amanda and Danielle fighting over the Idol clue in their reward has me cracking up. Reminds me of fighting with my younger siblings when we were kids.

I was hoping for Nick not to come down Angelina's ladder, partially for this reason.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
That would have been an even better Angela moment for sure.

Also I think someone earlier in the thread mentioned a dude not counting on two women talking to one another for his scheme to work and I think that's Russell in this episode. He like starts panicking when Parvati mentions talking to Danielle in such a suspicious way, it's hilarious.

Oh, well, he ended up getting his way anyway.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 23, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Russell really does not appreciate females with agency. That's basically his premerge game in Samoa.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:females:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Russell really does not appreciate females with agency. That's basically his premerge game in Samoa.

Man Samoa was such a trainwreck. Maybe not One World or Redemption Island levels of '90 percent of this cast is terrible', but I think there's a reason they've only ever brought back three people from the cast (and I'm really hesitant to count Monica there since her return appearance was practically nothing).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
well they tried to bring back shambo but she said no. i think dave ball should get another shot. samoa is entertaining when you don't have russell fatigue.