Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Motronic posted:

Can I Recover From This? (self.personalfinance)

submitted 3 hours ago * by feelingkindafucked

Good find but please remember to post the link!

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a88fr3/can_i_recover_from_this/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).
Page 666

How about some bad with money religious stuff!

Going broke tithing

My family and I began tithing 10% or a little more every paycheck about a year and half ago. Since then we have had our ups and downs. We have claimed our blessings. I have a decent job. We have a new baby on the way. Things are honestly tough. And they're getting tougher. My wife is not going to be working soon. I just realized I paid my $245 to my church for tithes TWICE! It was a complete mistake. I can't believe I did that. Now I have bills that are going to bounce. I have NSF charges coming etc. I am at my wits end here. Please say a prayer for me as I struggle through this. I am trying to remain a faithful giving person and give back some of what God has given me. We just don't have it to give. It's breaking me and now this paying TWICE? That's almost $500....

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Imagine if Americans put the money they spent on tithes into a retirement account instead.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Vox Nihili posted:

Imagine if Americans put the money they spent on tithes into a retirement account instead.

lol

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

:same:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Retirement accounts are to secure your future. Is a religious tithe not the same thing on an infinitely grander scale?!

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Retirement accounts are to secure your future. Is a religious tithe not the same thing on an infinitely grander scale?!
The Great Old Ones care not for your suffering, and no gifts will grant their mercy.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If this guy is Mormon, they don't expect you to tithe if you're struggling. The tithing twice by accident though...

:discourse:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Volmarias posted:

If this guy is Mormon, they don't expect you to tithe if you're struggling. The tithing twice by accident though...

Citation, please?

That is not what I have heard from the Mormons I know.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

brugroffil posted:

well and there's $0 for clothing, anything incidental, out of pocket healthcare like vision or dental etc.

He's a 25 year old male. Those very well could be $0.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

blackmet posted:

Page 666

Going broke tithing

Gotta post links, son. For some religion OC, I was watching DVR's episodes of The Walking Dead on my old roommate's PlayStation Vue account he lets me use for free (GWM for me), and I ran across a commercial for a church money scam - not these exact ones, but same organization, Peter Popoff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02T0b7j683k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1Sz8tpCcxw

All you have to do is sign up to receive this miracle spring water, and then prosperity follows shortly after you drink it! Just like they said in the commercials, they received the water and then got checks in the mail for $12,000, or $45,000, or whatever! You don't even have to burn a money-attracting candle or buy a prosperity-inducing essential oil!

From what I can gather, they offer an almost certainly predatory debt consolidation service with a thin layer of God wrapped around it. Those checks in the mail are them buying your debt for consolidation, so they ought not to be a surprise...

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Harry posted:

He's a 25 year old male. Those very well could be $0.

Gross

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Do your clothes disintegrate after a year or something? As someone who was once 25, I can see that demographic going long stretches without buying new threads, especially if you're already making good money and don't give a poo poo about impressing people

E: you should probably go to the dentist at least once a year if not more often, but I don't think that graph is super accurate anyways

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 22, 2018

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

$400 a month on groceries? gawd drat

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"“We sell thousand of bows for cars during the year but, obviously, during the holidays, it ramps up,” said Ms. Kingaard-Hughes, who has handcrafted bows for planes and trains as well as automobiles, yachts and even horses. “My dream job is to put bows on the Clydesdales for Budweiser,” she added. “That’d be classic.”"

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1076226991853002752

from the guillotine thread

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
The unaccounted for and donations are the drugs.

blackmet posted:

Page 666

Going broke tithing

My family and I began tithing 10% or a little more every paycheck about a year and half ago. Since then we have had our ups and downs. We have claimed our blessings. I have a decent job. We have a new baby on the way. Things are honestly tough. And they're getting tougher. My wife is not going to be working soon. I just realized I paid my $245 to my church for tithes TWICE! It was a complete mistake. I can't believe I did that. Now I have bills that are going to bounce. I have NSF charges coming etc. I am at my wits end here. Please say a prayer for me as I struggle through this. I am trying to remain a faithful giving person and give back some of what God has given me. We just don't have it to give. It's breaking me and now this paying TWICE? That's almost $500....
I didn't know you could claim blessings, what line/form do you put those on?

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!
This isn't too large of a BWM compared to others in this thread, but it shows how lulled people have become over the recent years.

Lost 60% in the stock market; help please!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a8ga0s/lost_60_in_the_stock_market_help_please/

quote:

Hi guys, I'm a current undergraduate senior in the US. Have been investing for 2+ years now (mostly on Robinhood); made a lot of great returns the past few years before this recent crash. Unfortunately now through a combination of me not diversifying out of tech and stupidly leveraging my money away, I am now down 50-60%, from a peak of ~$15,000 to about $6000 now. At my peak stupidity I had $15k + $12k leveraging for a total of about $27k in investments, mostly all in blue chip tech and tech ETFs. (I know).

I have sold some shares but am still leveraging $6000 to try to make back some of the losses ( so still have $12k invested currently) but am getting very spooked. I have weathered multiple losses of up to 30-35% before and always recovered for the better; however 50-60% losses are where I started getting very worried.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

drainpipe posted:

This isn't too large of a BWM compared to others in this thread, but it shows how lulled people have become over the recent years.

Lost 60% in the stock market; help please!
https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/a8ga0s/lost_60_in_the_stock_market_help_please/
I feel like it's somewhat GWM that he's learning with 4-figure stacks and will hopefully avoid the same mistakes with 6-7-figure retirement accounts.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

KingSlime posted:

Do your clothes disintegrate after a year or something? As someone who was once 25, I can see that demographic going long stretches without buying new threads, especially if you're already making good money and don't give a poo poo about impressing people
:yeah:

I guess it's helpful for people so BWM they need to track literally every expense and portion out clothing/toiletry/etc funds for each month even if they're not buying any right then, but most people can get away with lumping it into a general shopping category.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Haifisch posted:

:yeah:

I guess it's helpful for people so BWM they need to track literally every expense and portion out clothing/toiletry/etc funds for each month even if they're not buying any right then, but most people can get away with lumping it into a general shopping category.

There is not general shopping category in that breakdown either

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"“We sell thousand of bows for cars during the year but, obviously, during the holidays, it ramps up,” said Ms. Kingaard-Hughes, who has handcrafted bows for planes and trains as well as automobiles, yachts and even horses. “My dream job is to put bows on the Clydesdales for Budweiser,” she added. “That’d be classic.”"

https://twitter.com/ByRosenberg/status/1076226991853002752

from the guillotine thread

Guillotine thread??

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Less Fat Luke posted:

Guillotine thread??

in cspam

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018

Less Fat Luke posted:

Guillotine thread??

In the current climate of these forums, all threads are guillotine threads.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X

thehoodie posted:

I think this belongs here:

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Asleep Style posted:

I mean the tweet says that they're excellent with money, not average with money. If they went to a state school and got that six figgie job right out of college then they could've paid them down in 2-3 years. It's much likelier that their parents paid for their tuition but it's not impossible.

Absolutely, I guess I don’t like the angle the article takes (like just about everyone).

It’s another bootstrap article that relies on a few key components falling into place.

Guillotine. Eat the rich. Etc.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Less Fat Luke posted:

Guillotine thread??

Need to find this one.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

TraderStav posted:

Need to find this one.

seems peeps need link

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3845777

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Thanks, people keep mentioning it in this thread but didn't say until just now it was in C-SPAM. And thanks for saving me from having to wade in there.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
cspam rules actually and some posters in bfc are gonna get the 'tine, thems the breaks.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I had a student tell me that another student's parents had each bought each the same BMW (make, color, even trim) as accidental surprises a few years ago. And these were very, expensive BMWs.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I was just commenting the other day that the bows on cars in commercials can't be real, who would surprise buy a fuckin car.

Stupid Hulu commercials making me look foolish of the extent of bwm.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
I bought a white car in January one time and the dealer had a huge loving red bow on the hood when I came to pick it up, it looked p good honestly

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

cspam rules actually and some posters in bfc are gonna get the 'tine, thems the breaks.
Looks nervously at EAT FASTER

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009
https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/8wt6uc/church_wants_their_10_and_i_dont_want_to_rip_my/

quote:

Church wants their 10% and I don’t want to rip my husband’s [33m] dream from him.

Husband plays on a worship team. We just left our main church he has played at for years for a position at a local mega church. Playing music is who he is, his talent and passion.

Mega Church has a big set of reasonable rules for him to play- no drinking, being a good member of society etc. One rule that I understand is tithing. They expect 10% PLUS giving on top of that for events at church. We can not budget that in right now, with kids, me starting nursing school, car and mortgage payments, and not to mention our youngest has health issues that are expensive.

He has a few weeks before he has to sign his agreement with them and we are at a loss of what to do. I know this is his passion, but we’d basically be playing $4-5000 a year for him to pursue his passion in tithes alone. It would literally take food out of our kid’s mouths, we wouldn’t have any spending money and would probably dip into savings.

Husband wants to volunteer to play music for a church. They have a sick kid, and paying for the privilege of volunteering will break them, financially.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid

Staryberry posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/relationship_advice/comments/8wt6uc/church_wants_their_10_and_i_dont_want_to_rip_my/

Husband wants to volunteer to play music for a church. They have a sick kid, and paying for the privilege of volunteering will break them, financially.

Colleges should learn from this approach for their own athletic teams. Not only not pay them, also charge them

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Staryberry posted:

On the Satan page, no less!

Churches are a way to be a pro musician, but if money was that tight I’d say bail. It’s not the only way to make money as a musician. Go shred at wedding ceremonies or bars etc. to make livable money.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

19 o'clock posted:

On the Satan page, no less!

Churches are a way to be a pro musician, but if money was that tight I’d say bail. It’s not the only way to make money as a musician. Go shred at wedding ceremonies or bars etc. to make livable money.

Bars are dens of sin.

Seriously though depending on what religious convictions they have *shrug* probably should look around at other local churches and see if any christian ones in the same vague denomination are less money grubbing.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

https://twitter.com/leyawn/status/1...ingawful.com%2F

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Jack2142 posted:

Bars are dens of sin.

Seriously though depending on what religious convictions they have *shrug* probably should look around at other local churches and see if any christian ones in the same vague denomination are less money grubbing.

I guess because I’m a godless heathen I imagine if your faith was so strong you’d be on board with the tithing. Too faithful to play for vice seekers but not faithful enough for giving to the church...?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010