Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

ActusRhesus posted:

Problem w UTPA statutes is most say you don’t have standing if you aren’t a “consumer or competitor” so since Walmart isn’t a law firm it may not work.

So they’ll license one of legal zoom’s forms and bam! Competitor!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Change your name to Mart Murdock and open Daredevil Law, see who sues harder.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Nice language though. "The TCPA's commercial speech exemption is no model of clarity, but we conclude that it is not ambiguous, at least on the issue presented here." Judge-speak for "this statute sucks rear end, looks like we're going to have to spend 5 pages explaining why we are interpreting it correctly."

I've come across numerous opinions in which the Court outright states, in dicta, "Unfortunately, as presently worded, the plain language of this statute is such that it applies in almost any case."

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've finished the paperwork, please address me by my full name, Discendo Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher Lincoln, Cochrane, Latham & Watkins Vox

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Speaking of absurd IP litigation, I'm not sure who I'm rooting for here: https://www.cnn.com/2018/12/18/entertainment/carlton-sues-fortnite-video-game/index.html

Jk, I'm rooting for dem billable hours for lawyers on both sides.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
I mean... they didn’t do themselves any favors naming it the fresh.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

ActusRhesus posted:

I mean... they didn’t do themselves any favors naming it the fresh.

But also, almost 30 years later people (most people, not a bunch of nerds) immediately think of Alfonso Ribeiro? And somehow that dance isn't owned, if at all, by NBC or whoever produced the show?

Joinder must be created.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Look Sir Droids posted:

But also, almost 30 years later people (most people, not a bunch of nerds) immediately think of Alfonso Ribeiro? And somehow that dance isn't owned, if at all, by NBC or whoever produced the show?

Joinder must be created.

Never underestimate the power of reruns.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
I mean isn't that like the dance every goofy white dude does?

If anyone can sue it should be the Boss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=129kuDCQtHs&t=48s

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Look Sir Droids posted:

Joinder must be created.

Also (and this is the bigger problem for Ribeiro) you can’t actually copyright a dance move.

You can copyright a choreographic work, but that excludes single dance moves... like the Carlton.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
when you're a tenant in WA and your lease expires and you're month to month do you still have to abide by the rules of lease, things like "no birds or no aquariums" or poo poo like that that you agreed to in the lease?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Kalman posted:

Also (and this is the bigger problem for Ribeiro) you can’t actually copyright a dance move.

You can copyright a choreographic work, but that excludes single dance moves... like the Carlton.

Maybe as celebrity identity / publicity / character /likeness etc. ? I forget the term. It's not an abstract dance move, not "The Charleston, it's "The Carlton", i.e., a dance from a specific character played by a specific actor.

It's one thing if it's just the dance moves, but if the game files are something like "type /carlton" and then the dance happens

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!

Doorknob Slobber posted:

when you're a tenant in WA and your lease expires and you're month to month do you still have to abide by the rules of lease, things like "no birds or no aquariums" or poo poo like that that you agreed to in the lease?

Usually a fixed lease that converts to month-to-month is subject to the terms of the original lease, yes. What does the lease say?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Phil Moscowitz posted:

Usually a fixed lease that converts to month-to-month is subject to the terms of the original lease, yes. What does the lease say?

it isn't converting to month to month though because no new lease was signed it was a one year lease and in WA leases can't auto-renew so you just go to a month to month with rules that are in the RCW, but I guess the rules from the lease continue to apply even after the lease has expired?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
As a practical matter, I would continue to abide by the terms of your old lease, unless you want your landlord to decide to stop renewing your month-to-month and start calculating how much of your deposit they can keep for bird/aquarium related cleanup.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

it isn't converting to month to month though because no new lease was signed it was a one year lease and in WA leases can't auto-renew so you just go to a month to month with rules that are in the RCW, but I guess the rules from the lease continue to apply even after the lease has expired?

quote:

Do I have to move out at the end of my lease?
Look to the specific terms of the rental agreement to find out whether it automatically reverts to a month-to-month tenancy. Many leases automatically roll over into a month-to-month tenancy but must say so in the lease language. If the lease does not have specific month-to-month language then RCW 59.18.220 states that the tenancy ends at the end of the lease term. If your lease states that your tenancy ends, you are required to vacate at the end of the lease period. You may ask to stay longer by communicating with your landlord in writing or asking to sign a new lease. If the landlord accepts the rent for the following month after the term of your original lease ends, then you have established a month-to-month tenancy.
https://tenantsunion.org/en/rights/faq/rental-agreements#do-i-have-to-move-out-at-the-end-of-my-lease

what does your lease say

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

I believe the OP is in Seattle, where a lease that doesn't say otherwise does automatically convert to month to month, iirc.

IANAL.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

What it definitely doesn't do is turn into a free-for-all "you live here but there are no more rules" situation.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

Does Seattle have different laws concerning leases than the rest of Washington State

I don't practice in Seattle or Washington and I live in an extreme landlord friendly state, so I'm curious now

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Dec 19, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KillHour posted:

What it definitely doesn't do is turn into a free-for-all "you live here but there are no more rules" situation.

One weird trick landlords hate!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

EwokEntourage posted:

Does Seattle have different laws concerning leases than the rest of Washington State

I don't practice in Seattle or Washington and I live in an extreme landlord friendly state, so I'm curious now
Yes. It is considered tenant-friendly, in spite of the fact that it is just ever-so-slightly less landlord-friendly than most places.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

Thanatosian posted:

Yes. It is considered tenant-friendly, in spite of the fact that it is just ever-so-slightly less landlord-friendly than most places.

Okay but how does it differ from the rest of Washington state law?

Saying it differs but also saying you’re not a lawyer so you don’t really know what you’re talking about isn’t very helpful

Also I googled this and I didn’t see any laws based on how Seattle treated fixed term lease expirations differently that the rest of Washington. It was mostly about fault v no fault evictions. Specifically, did not see any laws that changed how leases were treated at the expiration of a fixed lease term

Also lol at calling them “slightly less friendly” landlord tenant laws compared to Texas

Edit: this sounds more aggressive than I meant it to be

EwokEntourage fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 19, 2018

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
was there ever an actual case where someone let their baby play with a plastic bag and they suffocated and that's why all plastic bags have that warning now

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

snack eater posted:

was there ever an actual case where someone let their baby play with a plastic bag and they suffocated and that's why all plastic bags have that warning now

I think babies suffocating on plastic bags used to be A Thing in the time before warnings on everything. I have hazy recollections of PSAs about it from when I was very little, but that could have been my parents yelling at me not to put a plastic bag over my head.

Kids are curious and dumb; often a fatal combination.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

snack eater posted:

Over 25 children a year suffocate to death due to plastic bags: https://web.archive.org/web/20120312000140/http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5064.html

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

ulmont posted:

Over 25 children a year suffocate to death due to plastic bags: https://web.archive.org/web/20120312000140/http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/5064.html

I watched Dan Aykroyd personally advocate for the sale of a toy that was simply a plastic bag intended for children to place over the head

And don't get me started on the dangers of the Bass-o-matic

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Devor posted:

I watched Dan Aykroyd personally advocate for the sale of a toy that was simply a plastic bag intended for children to place over the head

Don't forget the rubber band used to securely fasten it around the neck

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
I mean yeah I'm sure babies suffocating happens but is there like one famous landmark lawsuit every lawyer knows as "the plastic bag case" or is it just a more general thing

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

snack eater posted:

I mean yeah I'm sure babies suffocating happens but is there like one famous landmark lawsuit every lawyer knows as "the plastic bag case" or is it just a more general thing

there's a microwaved cat

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

snack eater posted:

Without actually looking, because I'm lazy and a piece of poo poo, I'd guess there are is probably a series of products liability suffocation cases where liability expanded a little more and a little more, and after a few then all the compliance departments for major manufacturers just said, "gently caress it, better safe than sorry" and started putting the warnings on there, but none of them are definitive, singular type cases in their own right.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Products liability is a deep deep whole. Almost as deep as IP.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

euphronius posted:

Products liability is a deep deep whole. Almost as deep as IP.

Yeah, and because its a tort, its going to be a state-specific hole for each jurisdiction.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Well hot drat

http://www.packaginglaw.com/

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The Restatement helped some but yeah. It’s a loving mess.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Not that I have any intention of doing this, but would it be legal to use a pellet/bb gun to shoot pigeons or squirrels to eat in my suburban backyard? My dad is old as dirt and has lots of stories of hunting both as a kid when his family had no money. I’m curious if that sort of thing is still acceptable or legal, generally speaking, not in any one city/state jurisdiction.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

Check the county and local code for a discharge of firearms ordinance. In my county, it’s fine. Most cities within the county, it’s banned. You just need to see if it’s banned and if so what it covers. BB guns usually aren’t covered, at least in smaller cities. You still may be criminally or civilly liable for errant shots and property damage though.

If you’re unsure I definitely wouldn’t do it in the city limits of a place with a pop. over 50k. Even if it’s technically legal, cops may harass you and invent citations.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Also you know, you have no idea how safe that meat is to eat.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Alchenar posted:

Also you know, you have no idea how safe that meat is to eat.

gently caress the po-lice (bites head off of pigeon)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
This company I'm looking at giftcards for family from wants me to click-agree that they expire in 180 days in violation of federal law. Who do I report this to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Pigeon is gross, but squirrel is fine, it's just really tough and chewy