Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

All of you go play FF8 and you're not allowed to quit until you murder the monsters high-school child soldiers put into hockey pads to play sports for their amusement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm playing FF13 right now since it's XBOX ONE X ENHANCED and I gotta say, I still don't like it all that much but it's got a truly bangin' soundtrack. I like that it's got nice little bite size chunks between save points too. And it's still a really nice looking game.

So while I find it lacking in many respects, it is a great loving game for edibles, friendos.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
idk maybe i'm just dumping on it from a position of comparison but i think ff13 is the weakest of all of hamauzu's soundtracks and he makes the same mistake all the older game composers did with their first modern-gen soundtrack where he uses way too much shrill, grating strings

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

gigglefeimer posted:

I'm morbidly curious about your opinions on Israel/Palestine but at the same time I really don't want to know.

Which of these traveled back in time to self sabotage themselves?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

cock hero flux posted:

there's like 4 Sorceresses in FF8 and 3 of them became magic super hitlers

firing rinoa into space was a reasonable precaution
Firing Rinoa into space was just an allegory about concentration causing radicalization. Firing Rinoa into space directly caused the breakout of Adel. The break out would have been made much harder if the Esther solution wasn't instantly to send her to the satellite because nobody wanted to hang around her because she's a scary sorceress.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I am glad Final Fantasy VIII had the courage to tackle both the Salem Witch Trials and the conflicts in the Middle East.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Is FF 2 and 3 any good? I've never played them through, and what kind of final fantasy fan hasn't played every installment?

central dogma fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Dec 22, 2018

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

central dogma posted:

Is FF 2 and 3 any good? I've never played them through, and what kind of final fantasy fan hasn't played every installment?

They are probably the worst games in the series, with FF3DS definitely being the worst game.

Feel free to skip them.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

central dogma posted:

They're definitely products of their time, and more interesting due to their historical merits than as actual games.

FF2 has some weird design decisions, but is surprisingly balanced if you know how to actually steer your builds (focus on building agility and evasion, regularly use magic, and so on) without a significant need to grind (the "beat your own characters up to gain HP" and "abuse the select-cancel" glitch are pretty unnecessary for the most part, the only stuff you really need to grind are Esuna and maybe Life). That said, exploration is pretty bad, the dungeon design is abysmal, the story is bizarre, and the setting is so drat bleak it's difficult to really care about what's going on. NES version is skippable, the remakes progressively make the game easier and that's not a bad thing for this one, but it's more interesting to see how they shake things up from how they did FF1.

FF3's better, though it still has some annoying dungeon decisions and lacks some quality-of-life stuff. Job system's cool, but half the jobs are useless and you're pretty much required to use certain jobs to progress at times. It's more cool to see the game establish the template that most future games would follow, and seeing the introduction of a lot of series staples like moogles and various jobs and summons. The remake balances out a lot of the jobs so they're all more useful, but overtunes the encounters so that randoms become tedious. NES is recommended if you play at all, interesting from a historical perspective but still has some glaring issues.

I enjoy both though and don't regret sinking as much time into them as I have, but you won't miss anything skipping them either.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I would just play Final Fantasy Legend 2 and FF5.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

central dogma posted:

Ff2 gba is one of my fav ff games, but the NES version is trash

Ff3 nes is alright I guess, but the DS version is trash

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

central dogma posted:

I liked FF2 Dawn of Souls and FF3 on Steam. Then again, it takes a lot to make me hate a game.

Both have amazing music so that helps.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

central dogma posted:

If you're not playing the original version of 3 skip it entirely. Every re-release is based on a DS remake of the game made by people who didn't understand any mechanics or gameplay designs but wanted to make it harder so they cut your stats in half for X battles after swapping jobs, most of the jobs are just actively and numerically worse, your damage numbers were nerfed while bosses got buffed. Bosses starting out at like the 3rd boss get 2 turns to your 1 round and their ai scripts aren't changed to accommodate for that so you'll just constantly get unlucky and the boss will roll it's party wider 60% of your HP attack twice in a row and there's nothing you could do to stop it or deal with it before the 2nd blow.

And the worse part about it is even if none of these changes were made it's still an entirely skippable game. Jobs' unique skills and stuff are all really underwhelming or uninteresting and the whole thing is very very clearly a prototype for what FFV would eventually become. The story is closer to FF1's bare bones D&D campaign than anything in 2 or that came after it and it's one of the worst paced FF games I can think of.

So just play 5 again.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

The White Dragon posted:

idk maybe i'm just dumping on it from a position of comparison but i think ff13 is the weakest of all of hamauzu's soundtracks and he makes the same mistake all the older game composers did with their first modern-gen soundtrack where he uses way too much shrill, grating strings

Of the Hamauzu ost's I know:

Sigma Harmonics has some killer tracks, but it's only a handful where the majority of the songs are under a minute long and even ignoring that they're not that special. Even though I really like the sounds and it's a really good effort for a DS soundtrack and I've tried a bunch to listen to it on it's own, but it never really keeps any interest to me for long.

13-2 has a lot of really good stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if people put it over 13-1 ost. But for me, I usually end up liking more of the 13-1 ost, where the 13-2 songs individually I'll maybe like a bit more. Sort of a quality vs quantity thing for me on this one but 13-1 edges it out.

Lightning returns I actually don't like the ost very much. There are a bunch of good tracks of course, but trying to listen to it overall I really have never been able to get into it very much. I don't know if it's cause it's lacking many strong melodies or what.

Dirge of Cerberus is probably the closest in terms of matching instrumental styles to 13-1 as they are very very similar, but overall 13-1 is not afraid of having a lot of playful melodies and a variety of things, where Dirge is mostly the same style and even most of the songs I like it isn't cause of the melodies. I want to like Dirge's style, but I end up liking far less than half the songs even if I'm being generous.

Obviously not as good as Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga ost's, but outside of those I feel like 13-1 is the most well rounded Hamauzu ost and is probably my 3rd favorite currently from him.

I think Dirge of Cerberus definitely needs some more love on some of the songs though for the more tension building style that I low-key love from Hamauzu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-50uSKA6s

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

Of the Hamauzu ost's I know:

Sigma Harmonics has some killer tracks, but it's only a handful where the majority of the songs are under a minute long and even ignoring that they're not that special. Even though I really like the sounds and it's a really good effort for a DS soundtrack and I've tried a bunch to listen to it on it's own, but it never really keeps any interest to me for long.

13-2 has a lot of really good stuff and I wouldn't be surprised if people put it over 13-1 ost. But for me, I usually end up liking more of the 13-1 ost, where the 13-2 songs individually I'll maybe like a bit more. Sort of a quality vs quantity thing for me on this one but 13-1 edges it out.

Lightning returns I actually don't like the ost very much. There are a bunch of good tracks of course, but trying to listen to it overall I really have never been able to get into it very much. I don't know if it's cause it's lacking many strong melodies or what.

Dirge of Cerberus is probably the closest in terms of matching instrumental styles to 13-1 as they are very very similar, but overall 13-1 is not afraid of having a lot of playful melodies and a variety of things, where Dirge is mostly the same style and even most of the songs I like it isn't cause of the melodies. I want to like Dirge's style, but I end up liking far less than half the songs even if I'm being generous.

Obviously not as good as Saga Frontier 2 and Unlimited Saga ost's, but outside of those I feel like 13-1 is the most well rounded Hamauzu ost and is probably my 3rd favorite currently from him.

I think Dirge of Cerberus definitely needs some more love on some of the songs though for the more tension building style that I low-key love from Hamauzu:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-50uSKA6s

Several different composers worked on XIII-2 I think so it be unfair to attribute it to him as muh as XIII-1.

And yeah DoC lived by the old JRPG rule of "at least the music was good."

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

NikkolasKing posted:

Several different composers worked on XIII-2 I think so it be unfair to attribute it to him as muh as XIII-1.

You know, I knew that going into my post, but it wasn't until I checked until just now that I realized that it was actually Naoshi Mizuta who did most of the work on the 13-2 ost. I had always assumed it was just Hamauzu. Looking up who composed which songs, while I do like most of the songs Hamauzu did here, it's pretty unarguable that the best/most defining tracks were all from Mizuta who did a killer job overall.

Apparently this also applies to Lightning Returns as well, though much like in my above post, I'm not entirely down with all the songs from Hamauzu/Mizuta here either. Though I still do think Mizuta still had the best songs from that ost.

edit: I'm going to use this post as an excuse to post one of my favorite Mizuta songs from 13-2 that I think is underappreciated. It's so good in the cutscene of Serah turning down fake Lightning. Even if everything in the scene is kinda obviously fake, I love the mood that the song brings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVKXYz5WTg

Ventana fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 22, 2018

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
Crazy Chocobo is the best FF song.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ventana posted:

You know, I knew that going into my post, but it wasn't until I checked until just now that I realized that it was actually Naoshi Mizuta who did most of the work on the 13-2 ost. I had always assumed it was just Hamauzu. Looking up who composed which songs, while I do like most of the songs Hamauzu did here, it's pretty unarguable that the best/most defining tracks were all from Mizuta who did a killer job overall.

Apparently this also applies to Lightning Returns as well, though much like in my above post, I'm not entirely down with all the songs from Hamauzu/Mizuta here either. Though I still do think Mizuta still had the best songs from that ost.

edit: I'm going to use this post as an excuse to post one of my favorite Mizuta songs from 13-2 that I think is underappreciated. It's so good in the cutscene of Serah turning down fake Lightning. Even if everything in the scene is kinda obviously fake, I love the mood that the song brings.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDVKXYz5WTg

It's got that awesome motif from other songs in it so I approve. Although this is my favorite:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pKNA7bgBSU

It's got this soap opera vibe to it so that alone is great but when you combine that with the fact the game just compiles together random cutscene clips in no coherent or logical order and uses that as "The Story So Far.." summary, it makes the whole thing a masterpiece that sums up why XIII-2 is great.

But seriously, I think Noel's Theme is probably the best track.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfmupLRxxM8

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*
Noel's theme is indeed one of my favorites and it's really good. Though honestly, Serah's theme in 13-2 takes the cake for me as far as character themes go and is up there for me for favorite 13-2 songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mxcDzr0PsoE

Fun thing to point out: the last 40 seconds of Serah's theme it plays a motif from one of the ending 13-1 songs when they're talking about the future and Fang and Vanille "reunite" with the party again. Different key/octave switching so the moods are slightly different, but it's one of the few 13-2 songs that actually directly connects to a 13-1 song and I love it.

(timestamped the bit I'm talking about)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9_CCT4gNW4&t=94s

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I sorta liked FFXIII-2 because the devs were very aware of what went wrong in XIII.

Well at least they tried.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this one's always stuck in my mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEEcKCh-Yx4

also like how every background switches briefly to a thumping electro-ish remix whenever an enemy gets nearby, it's a neat little detail

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

WaltherFeng posted:

I sorta liked FFXIII-2 because the devs were very aware of what went wrong in XIII.

Well at least they tried.

Uh they, in my eyes anyway, messed up the combat somewhat, I didn't feel anywhere near as fun in 13-2 then 13-1

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

mandatory lesbian posted:

Uh they, in my eyes anyway, messed up the combat somewhat, I didn't feel anywhere near as fun in 13-2 then 13-1

Yeah I actually thought the paradigm shift system was pretty cool, it just needed an actual game attached and not an endless series of hallways. 13-2 would have been a good chance to flesh out the systems and expand on them and give us a little more room to roam. But uh, they didn't. Looking forward to giving 13-2 a second chance once I finally finish 13 though!

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

And the worse part about it is even if none of these changes were made it's still an entirely skippable game. Jobs' unique skills and stuff are all really underwhelming or uninteresting and the whole thing is very very clearly a prototype for what FFV would eventually become. The story is closer to FF1's bare bones D&D campaign than anything in 2 or that came after it and it's one of the worst paced FF games I can think of.
There were some parts of FF3 I found genuinely beautiful back when I played it (like heading out onto the larger world map for the first time) and I liked it more than FF 1 or 2, but today I would probably have much less patience for it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TIME AND SPACE TIME AND SPACE is great and if you don't like it you have no soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWHJRNT8gcs

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
forward and back and then forward and back and we go forward and back and forward and back and forward and back

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Terry van Feleday posted:

There were some parts of FF3 I found genuinely beautiful back when I played it (like heading out onto the larger world map for the first time) and I liked it more than FF 1 or 2, but today I would probably have much less patience for it.

The pacing issue starts right there though. Once you leave the floating island and it's like "Oh poo poo the world is big but also already fucekd" and then it's 1 dinky dungeon and you're then spending the majority of the game kind of just bumbling around aimlessly looking for the earth crystal. You get this great big reveal and and excitement over the revelation of just have far this adventure can go and the first thing you do is go "Oh hey this rich guys kind an rear end in a top hat lets gently caress him up" and it just feels like you're on a yoyo when it comes to scale and pacing.

And then when you finally get to the crystal in the remake after all this loving bullshit to get it the reward for it are 4 classes that are absolute dogshit compared to what you've been using/leveling unless you grind them out really hard because they decided to balance the early jobs that the earth crystal jobs were upgrades to by making the better classes worse without buffing to old ones substantially.

Every design decision in the remake is so rear end backwards it's amazing.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 23, 2018

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Gologle posted:

forward and back and then forward and back and we go forward and back and forward and back and forward and back

Time out of time (illumination)
Time out of time (illumination)
Time out of time (triangulation)
Time out of time (predestination)

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Oxxidation posted:

also like how every background switches briefly to a thumping electro-ish remix whenever an enemy gets nearby, it's a neat little detail

I always thought it was neat, but also kinda weird that they'd be like 7 minute remixes for a situation that lasts usually less than 30 seconds at a time. I'm not complaining since I loved it, but still.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Gologle posted:

No but really XIV has probably my favorite soundtrack of any game from the series. There's a ton of variety and all of them go hard.

Songs range from sweeping orchestra techno

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYOSYDBJyZg

To straight up Bollywood bops

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BiUp3DpksQY

I'd have like 500 tracks too many to list here if I kept going but XIV has very, very few bad songs in it. Masayoshi Soken is a crazy talented composer.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

zedprime posted:

I would just play Final Fantasy Legend 2 and FF5.
Have the Final Fantasy Legend games been re-released on mobile or Steam or the like? Would love to replay them but don’t feel like messing around with emulators or pulling out the old gray brick Gameboy.

Also, what’s the consensus on the mobile versions of the SNES FF’s? Worth the few bucks or are they so awkward to play on mobile that “screw it don’t bother”?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
they actually got remakes on the DS but they never came to america

Barudak
May 7, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

Have the Final Fantasy Legend games been re-released on mobile or Steam or the like? Would love to replay them but don’t feel like messing around with emulators or pulling out the old gray brick Gameboy.

Also, what’s the consensus on the mobile versions of the SNES FF’s? Worth the few bucks or are they so awkward to play on mobile that “screw it don’t bother”?

Theyre akward to play, GBA ports if that matters, and have been slammed face first with the ugly stick for no concievable reason especially FF6.

But theyre still FF games underneath so that might carry you

Boogaloo Shrimp
Aug 2, 2004

The White Dragon posted:

they actually got remakes on the DS but they never came to america

There was a GBA remake of FF Adventure (which was actually the first Mana game) but it was horrible.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boogaloo Shrimp posted:

There was a GBA remake of FF Adventure (which was actually the first Mana game) but it was horrible.

ff adventure is a mana game, the ff legend games are saga games :eng101:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

ff adventure is a mana game, the ff legend games are saga games :eng101:

Theyre my favorite Saga games because despite not understanding half the mechanics I was able to beat them.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Romancing SaGa 2 is also on PC and it's rad as hell

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

corn in the bible posted:

Also on the Switch and mobile. Probably on PS4 and Xbox too.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

See, Id like to trust you but every other Saga game Ive played has been a mess of mechanics and story progression triggers I cant intuit to ever feel like Im accomplishing things on purpose so id like some details here cause Im intrigued

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Barudak posted:

See, Id like to trust you but every other Saga game Ive played has been a mess of mechanics and story progression triggers I cant intuit to ever feel like Im accomplishing things on purpose so id like some details here cause Im intrigued

That's pretty much SaGa, yeah. The games require you to make attempts, gently caress up and retry with some regularity. "Figuring out how you're supposed to play the game" is part of the game.