Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Mike Mignola apparently can't stand GDT and really dislikes his take on the material.

i'm adding that to the list of "authors/estates with bad opinions about adaptations". it's called the Roald Dahl Has Terrible Taste list because he hated the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie so much that his estate forced that godawful Tim Burton/Johnny Depp one upon all of us.

but there are plenty of other authors on the list too. Stephen King for not liking The Shining, the Tolkein estate for being annoyed with the Peter Jackson trilogy, etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Is this suppose to be a drama or a comedy?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Hollismason posted:

I’m getting a real “filmed on my phone and uploaded to Vimeo” vibe from the trailer.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hollismason posted:

Seems like a chick flick take on Apt Pupil.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

DC Murderverse posted:

i'm adding that to the list of "authors/estates with bad opinions about adaptations". it's called the Roald Dahl Has Terrible Taste list because he hated the Gene Wilder Willy Wonka movie so much that his estate forced that godawful Tim Burton/Johnny Depp one upon all of us.

To be fair to, I'm with Dahl on that one. I have no idea why the Willy Wonka film is so popular. If they made one of my books into a campy musical I'd be pretty pissed off too.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

DC Murderverse posted:

but there are plenty of other authors on the list too. Stephen King for not liking The Shining, the Tolkein estate for being annoyed with the Peter Jackson trilogy, etc etc.

fwiw the gdt hellboy movies are not faithful to the character at all outside of surface details, hellboy is more of an experienced and well schooled witcher than precocious new york cop

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

CityMidnightJunky posted:

To be fair to, I'm with Dahl on that one. I have no idea why the Willy Wonka film is so popular. If they made one of my books into a campy musical I'd be pretty pissed off too.

Gene Wilder owns but the movie is pretty average.

Also Dahl is metal af

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Isabelle Hupert is very grateful that you bring back her bait bag.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwSr1KnGPTo

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
New Jordan Peele

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNCmb-4oXJA

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

That didn’t look all that scary, it is stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4oeMp12CA

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 25, 2018

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Dumb premise. But looks like it could have some creepy moments.

Slutitution
Jun 26, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

kiimo posted:

Dumb premise. But looks like it could have some creepy moments.

I don't understand what the premise is because it looks so dumb.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Well, I'm into it. Loved turning I Got Five On It into horror score.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Kind of disappointed in the premise but I’ll watch it

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
lol the premise is extremely obscure, theres no way any of u can qualify calling it dumb

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

scary ghost dog posted:

lol the premise is extremely obscure, theres no way any of u can qualify calling it dumb

:laffo:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
someone try summarizing the premise qnd explain why its dumb

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

scary ghost dog posted:

someone try summarizing the premise qnd explain why its dumb

Mierenneuker posted:

That didn’t look all that scary, it is stupid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ie4oeMp12CA

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Cloooooooonessssssss!!!!

But gone WRONG

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

A movie having a dumb premise doesn't really mean much to me either way. Although I wouldn't even really say this has a dumb premise, at least not noticeably more-so than most other horror movies.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

the_american_dream posted:

Cloooooooonessssssss!!!!

But gone WRONG

See I was getting more of a Pod People/Eldritch Things making a beach head in our reality vibe.

But I've been reading a lot of Cthulu Mythos anthologies, so that may be coloring my perception.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

There live action remakes come quicker every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxBYzEjeZA

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

The MSJ posted:

There live action remakes come quicker every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLxBYzEjeZA

I was thinking that one Spongebob with the evil pencil drawing.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Hyper wide eyeball-stare CGI looking pretty bad, as always

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

When, pray tell, was there that in the trailer?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samovar posted:

When, pray tell, was there that in the trailer?

1:42
1:43
1:44
1:45

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Looks real to me :shrug:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

No, no, no, no, no.

That's how some people open their eyes.

Bad CGI eye-opening is from Blade Trinity.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Netflix is dropping Bandersnatch, a Black Mirror movie tomorrow. It may or may not be a choose your own adventure thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xWpBYlNM

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

clown shoes posted:

Netflix is dropping Bandersnatch, a Black Mirror movie tomorrow. It may or may not be a choose your own adventure thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XM0xWpBYlNM
How the hell would a choose your own adventure movie even work? Would there be prompts on screen to skip to certain timecodes depending on what you want the outcome to be?

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

It's on netflix so you'll probably click a button when prompted and load another section of the movie.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

How the hell would a choose your own adventure movie even work? Would there be prompts on screen to skip to certain timecodes depending on what you want the outcome to be?

I don't know about Netflix, but the one time I saw a choose your own adventure film in a theatre, you had to download an app so you could vote on what the protagonist should do next at certain points. After a short time, they would load whichever segment received the most votes.

Fun experience, even if the film itself wasn't very memorable.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

if u wanna see how it works Netflix has already done it w/ some kids programming & the port of Minecraft: Story Mode

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Are you for real lol

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I loved Get Out but I'm hoping that trailer was edited to be jumper and scarier than the film actually is, because I ain't seeing it in the cinema otherwise.

e: And Netflix already has Minecraft Story Mode which is an adventure game. It just pauses and gives button prompts.

There were loads of DVDs that did a basic version of the same thing back when DVDs were new and exciting. One of the loving Final Destination films had a "choose your own" version where the deaths changed slightly based on your choices.

stev fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Dec 27, 2018

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Anne Frank Funk posted:

It's on netflix so you'll probably click a button when prompted and load another section of the movie.

Yep there are several Netflix shows that do this. Minecraft and some Puss n Boots show. It works pretty smoothly my daughter loves it.

My only qualm, and this is likely my internet connections fault, is that it does that "briefly pop into low-res mode as the stream caches and loads" every time you make a decision.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Awkward...

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Wanna watch Elle Fanning sing Robyn over and over?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkA6DpQEKTU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wendell posted:

Awkward...

The eyes in those cuts look post-processed, it's actually real common.

Here's an example where they use digital in post to gently caress with eyes, mouth, etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cgnk3MLw9TM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
🤔