Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Did they find this at the bottom of a loving lake? https://reverb.com/item/14799903-vintage-rusty-and-oxi-stratocaster-bridge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

that's Tone Gunk

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Relic'd to another level.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

They’re doing it wrong, you gotta price it extravagantly to lend the impression of uniqueness and scarcity, allowing the impressionable audience to draw their own mistaken assumptions of mystical tone the item in question will impart to their feeble playing. Like this: https://reverb.com/item/17744601-electro-harmonix-big-muff-pi-in-concrete-block

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

This is worth reflecting on as much as possible. A lot of "boutique" poo poo is just that... poo poo.

I had this realization in reverse this month after finding Meris and checking out everything they do. I was so amazed and impressed at what they’re doing at the $300 price point that it reinforced what I know about how many builders are out there slapping huge price tags on boring gear doing nothing out of the ordinary. And don’t get me wrong I don’t want to shame anyone and aesthetics/etc can be just as important as the sound but drat there’s a ton of no effort pedals out there. It’s wonderful finding companies like Meris that make me realize how loving awesome pedals and effects can be when made by talented people with their own idiosyncrasies and desires to create memorable creative devices.

Also made me realize how long it had been since a company made me feel like a kid exploring real amps and such for the first time.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

A good chunk of the boutique brands are run be decent dudes who do it because they love it. Stuff like Lone Wolf Audio, JHS, J Rockett, Vemuram and others are purely in it for the scam, the grift.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
My buddy runs a boutique pedal business and I attended Summer NAMM with him. The whole pedal business is basically about 20-30 guys and gals either very high quality or unique stuff and who all know each other and then a bunch of other companies who have latched onto the business.

I'm not a very knowledgeable about pedal internals at all and you can just immediately tell the "real" builders because they will just immediately tell you everything about their design process.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

A good chunk of the boutique brands are run be decent dudes who do it because they love it. Stuff like Lone Wolf Audio, JHS, J Rockett, Vemuram and others are purely in it for the scam, the grift.

Oh yeah no doubt, and I absolutely can’t blame them for making money when possible.

I want to dislike JHS guy for some past stuff but he seems so genuinely nice :negative: I wasn’t familiar with the others mentioned being grifters but I think you told me about Lone Wolf before. Shame.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
i got real disillusioned with music poo poo pricing, even more than i was before, after i finally got my hands on a carvin at guitar center after lusting after them online

that sure was a piece of wood with strings on it, just like every other one i own

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Kilometers Davis posted:

Oh yeah no doubt, and I absolutely can’t blame them for making money when possible.

I want to dislike JHS guy for some past stuff but he seems so genuinely nice :negative: I wasn’t familiar with the others mentioned being grifters but I think you told me about Lone Wolf before. Shame.

Ted Bundy was charming.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

What's wrong with the JHS guy exactly? He seems like a friendly nerd on the videos I've seen of him talking about pedals.

I have a few of his pedals too and they are all fine, and a few were relatively cheap.

The little buffer pedal owns. It's probably never leaving my board. I have to have something that's buffered since literally everything is true bypass these days and my favorite Octave pedal is 100% passive and has to run in front of something that's buffered.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Generally, the only time I shell out more than $50 for a pedal is if I want something specific that other pedals can't do well. My last three expensive pedals are the JHS Spring Tank (whatever you think of the guy, that's a drat fine spring reverb pedal), the EHX Synth9, and Pigtronix Mothership 2 analog synth, which was Musician's Friend's Stupid Deal of the Day last week. Those pedals do what they do better than other pedals at their price points, or, in the case of the Synth9, has no equivalent anywhere.

For ODs, delays, fuzzes, distortions, tremolos, flangers and other basic, tool pedals, though, a $50 new max is perfectly fine, so long as you're not looking for a any specific features. My Caline Orange Burst is a perfectly fine light OD, equivalent to pedals costing over $100, and I got it for $30. Same with my Joyo Ultimate Drive. We're at a point where a guitarist can get kitted out with gig quality gear dirt cheap. That's not stupid music poo poo, though.

What is stupid is that distortocaster and how much I want it.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Malaria posted:

What's wrong with the JHS guy exactly? He seems like a friendly nerd on the videos I've seen of him talking about pedals.

I have a few of his pedals too and they are all fine, and a few were relatively cheap.

The little buffer pedal owns. It's probably never leaving my board. I have to have something that's buffered since literally everything is true bypass these days and my favorite Octave pedal is 100% passive and has to run in front of something that's buffered.

He wholesale copies other original pedal circuits, many very new, without so much as attribution. More, he claims them as his own design. He has been known to sandbag other builders to distributors when called out by them. For a long time Until he was caught he financially supported a church that practiced gay conversion therapy.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

He wholesale copies other original pedal circuits, many very new, without so much as attribution. More, he claims them as his own design. He has been known to sandbag other builders to distributors when called out by them. For a long time Until he was caught he financially supported a church that practiced gay conversion therapy.

Jesus christ :froggonk:

Ok not buying his poo poo anymore then

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

What a genuine piece of poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

https://reverb.com/item/17744601-electro-harmonix-big-muff-pi-in-concrete-block

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
drat, didn't know about that funding gay conversion therapy bit. gently caress that guy. At least I got my Spring Tank second hand, so he didn't make a dime off of me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hahah what in the gently caress?!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It won't let me estimate shipping.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Spanish Manlove posted:

It won't let me estimate shipping.

Mine just says + $5 shipping. I'm going to hold them to that.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I mean it probably still fits in a flat rate box so

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I really can't tell if this is stupid or awesome.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
It's an Eastwood, so by default it's kinda both. Is that an 8 string mandolin?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

It's an Eastwood, so by default it's kinda both. Is that an 8 string mandolin?

Yes, are there others? :-)

And agreed, Eastwood can be stupidly awesome.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I don't know from Eastwood but put me down for awesome.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i would play the hell out of it, but i would also have no illusions of not looking like a huge dork while i did so. i have never looked into anything from eastwood, but now i feel like i have to

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

CaptainViolence posted:

i would play the hell out of it, but i would also have no illusions of not looking like a huge dork while i did so. i have never looked into anything from eastwood, but now i feel like i have to

this is what they're most known for

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mGZhvkwAF8

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

guitmando is good

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

oh, man, i looked at their website and if i ever have $500 to spend on something ridiculous this probably won't be top of the list but it will definitely be on there somewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhwFugfeZ9o

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I've had two Eastwoods. Their Sidejack DLX Mostite clone was my first and was a really solid guitar. I currently have a black Hummingbird, though, and it's become my rock guitar of choice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQsEDjpHOg

It's fun to play and sounds great, but that tremolo is really finicky.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
Now they just need to add a banjo neck

One of these days I really need to take this all apart and see if I can make it playable. Tuner buttons are all crumbling, necks are all warped, action way too high, pots are junk, etc. And the guitar neck fretboard is mostly decorative past the 18th fret.

Of course, it was built literally in a shack in the hills of West Virginia by a guy with a 6th grade education 60 some years ago.

Rugoberta Munchu
Jun 5, 2003

Do you want a hupyrolysege slcorpselong?
That thing is amazing and even if you can't get it playable, it belongs in some sort of museum.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

OutOfPrint posted:

I've had two Eastwoods. Their Sidejack DLX Mostite clone was my first and was a really solid guitar. I currently have a black Hummingbird, though, and it's become my rock guitar of choice: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0JQsEDjpHOg

It's fun to play and sounds great, but that tremolo is really finicky.

I was all excited about their 25% off coupon until I realized prices on their website were excluding VAT so by the time you add that their sale price is about the same as the regular price for their stuff at Thomann...

But if you're in the US try MUSICISWIN25 at checkout, I assume the tax thing isn't an issue there.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

https://www.theprp.com/2018/12/24/news/threatin-to-return-to-the-uk-for-live-show-at-venue-he-previously-lied-to-on-disastrous-tour/ posted:

The latest development in the saga finds The Underworld in London, England confirming that they are in the process of booking a show from Threatin in the new year. Jon Vyner, who handles bookings at the venue has told The Times that a show is indeed in the works.

The venue was one of those burned by Eames‘ tactics the first time around. However, for this booking Eames will actually be paid rather than spending his own money to rent out the venue as Vyner stated to the publication:

“We’ll probably promote it in-house. Last time there was no one to promote him—because he had no fans at the time. Now he does.”
https://www.theprp.com/2018/12/24/news/threatin-to-return-to-the-uk-for-live-show-at-venue-he-previously-lied-to-on-disastrous-tour/

I guess there is no such thing as negative publicity, after all. I was a Threatin fan before it was cool :smug:.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Dec 26, 2018

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
lol like 20 people are gonna show up to hear his bad4good cover band

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

Do you make music a human heart? I’ve never figured that out.

If that sounds like a smug question or something it’s not I’m just curious.

I make noise.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

A human heart posted:

I make noise.

Nice I thought so, what kind of setup?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Come on Etsy. Be better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
...so where am i supposed to mount the emg pickup?