Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
How does Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes work on the switch? Don't you need like two screens for that?

Anyone tried it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got some really nice Bluetooth headphones for my birthday and this dumb thing can’t use them

Bose QC35s do Bluetooth and 3.5mm. I highly recommend them, but I'm no audiophile.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

HenryEx posted:

How does Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes work on the switch? Don't you need like two screens for that?

Anyone tried it?

Haven't tried it but i believe you can use a cellphone for one player (the instructions person)

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

Nep-Nep posted:

So does the Switch itself have a flavor that goes with the cartridges or no?

It tasted like tiny bits of ground up screen protector. :(

Evil Fluffy posted:

So did you and your friend buy some cheap plastic garbage screen covers or what? If you bought glass covers then wtf did you replace your teeth with that it was able to scratch it?

It was the amFilm one. The teeth are the strongest bone* in the body! :eng101:

* (Yes, I'm aware teeth aren't bone.)

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 22, 2018

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Gripweed posted:

There's gonna be DLC about her. Could be flashbacks, or hallucinations, or they bring her back to life, or a clone, or she's a ghost.

For real lmao being dead in a Suda51 game means nothing. So excited for NMH: TSA

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.
GRIS trip report: it's an amazing and affecting game that you should really play. Absolutely worth the price of admission even if I'd say that it's only 5-6 hours long.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

HenryEx posted:

Anyone tried it?

It's actually a one-screen game. It likely comes with an instruction booklet, or at the very least a link to an online pdf (which would be when another screen is required).

The instruction person can use either printed or digital instructions.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It actually works really well! I printed off a copy of the instructions (the only real way to play, it's a nightmare on tablet or phone ) and then the other person just holds the switch. Great game!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I beat the smash adventure. Final boss battle was bananas.

I'm still missing at least one battle though. I scoured all of the maps and can't find it/them for the life of me. I went straight to the combined Dharkon and Galeem battle at the end. Do the individual ones count towards completion too or something? Because I didn't bother with those.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

Mak0rz posted:

I beat the smash adventure. Final boss battle was bananas.

I'm still missing at least one battle though. I scoured all of the maps and can't find it/them for the life of me. I went straight to the combined Dharkon and Galeem battle at the end. Do the individual ones count towards completion too or something? Because I didn't bother with those.
Yes.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

If you like to slam your poo poo around for no reason and drop things all the time go ahead and put on a protector, but if you don't think that you need one you probably don't need one.

All my device/glasses scratches come from using a cleaning cloth that has a tiny bit of grit trapped in it, not chucking the thing down the drat stairs.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Monster Hunter owns so hard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUXUUt5D8bo

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Cool, thanks. I would have just wasted time wandering the maps more if I hadn't asked.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Left joycon stick replacement was a success. Those little ribbon cables can eat my whole rear end.

I'll probably take the original one apart and clean it out for when the replacement inevitable starts getting fucky too.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
My brother got me a $35 eshop card for early christmas, and it was just enough combined with whatever gold points I had to get Celeste, Gris, and West of Loathing (which is on sale today for $7.something). He doesn't know poo poo about video games but drat it's gonna be a good start of the year.

What's everyone else getting with family eshop cred?

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I’m hoping for a Diablo discount so I can mash up some demons. But, festively.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
today in Mario Odyssey i got both of the Jump Rope moons on my first try but with the sneaking suspicion that if i'd failed on that try it probably would've taken me another fifty

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

Coxswain Balls posted:

I gonna try this Startech one tomorrow and see how it goes. People have confirmed it working with the Switch, so fingers crossed. Double the price though, but I think it's still cheaper than the official one. Apparently USB3 adapters still work better since using interrupts instead of polling cuts the latency down.

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX43673

Confirming that this one works without having to do any messing around, just plug and play. Smash still plays kinda dogshit with randos though.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cultural Marxist posted:

I’m hoping for a Diablo discount so I can mash up some demons. But, festively.

It’s on sale for $40 on the eShop right now

E: in the US at least

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I'm getting my kids a Nintendo switch this holiday season. I have a couple of really basic and probably stupid questions.

1. In terms of the controller do most games use the split controller (joycon) or will they just need a separate joycon for most two player games?
2. My 7 year old can read on screen text with no real issue. So whats a good game for her? She loved playing Lego Ninjago movie when I had it setup with Steamlink, but she found Detective Pikicu for the 2DS frustrating. So I'm looking for something she can have fun with, but that won't frustrate (or has options that can heavily reduce the frustration) and isn't 3rd Party Shovelware. She is interested in Pokemon, but I don't know if an RPG would be too complex (of course I have no clue what the hell even makes up a Pokemon game).
3. Related any recommendations for my 3 year? Obviously can't read on screen text yet, but can use apps.
3. Any other accessories that people recommend I get with the system (case, charger, etc)?

Thanks!

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

Buncha these type of things on the market
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07L3P4PYR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_EyNhCbTT0C8V2

Sucks it's not native, but fortunately people are picking up the slack.

This is the thing to beat at the moment:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/humanthings/genki-bluetooth-audio-for-the-nintendo-switch

If you have a set of aptx ll cans, there’s basically zero latency; I just got off a plane where I used them to play Lumines the whole way, and it was flawless. Unfortunately if you’re getting them to use with Apple AirPods, those don’t support that protocol, so there’s a teensy bit of latency, like probably measurable in frames. I haven’t tried any other adapters so I don’t have anything to compare it to, but my experience with it has been great since it showed up in my mailbox a few days ago.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Pablo Nergigante posted:

It’s on sale for $40 on the eShop right now

E: in the US at least

Yeah, it was on sale here in the U.K. a few weeks ago for Black Friday but I didn’t buy it at the time, so I’m hoping that it will go back on sale next week. If it doesn’t I’ll probably jest buy Civ VI.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.

MazelTovCocktail posted:

1. In terms of the controller do most games use the split controller (joycon) or will they just need a separate joycon for most two player games?

I can't answer your other questions but this is game-variable. Some games control just fine (and probably don't feel nearly as awkward as an adult using them) with one joycon and some require both. First party Nintendo games tend to support single joycon games just fine, I know overcooked and spelunker party support one just fine. Mario Odyssey has a two player mode that splits the joycons and one person plays mario and the other as the hat but I have this awful feeling it's going to cause more fights and hurt feelings than just taking turns with one controller. At least I'm imagining that would probably be the case if it was my brother and I as kids.

Spiffster
Oct 7, 2009

I'm good... I Haven't slept for a solid 83 hours, but yeah... I'm good...

Lipstick Apathy
Finally tried playing with the NES controllers... the controls just feel so much more natural now... like I was floundering with Mario in handheld mode and wondered if it was rust or age causing me to suck... nope just the controller I was using.

Gonna bring these with me to my moms tomorrow for Christmas. She’s gonna love it and maybe my little nephew can play some as well.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Having trouble getting my Switch into holding-two-joycons mode and making them work in concert in the Grip. Any idea why? It's fine attached.

E: nurrmind, just had to reorder in the settings menu.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 22, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MazelTovCocktail posted:

So I'm getting my kids a Nintendo switch this holiday season. I have a couple of really basic and probably stupid questions.

2. My 7 year old can read on screen text with no real issue. So whats a good game for her? She loved playing Lego Ninjago movie when I had it setup with Steamlink, but she found Detective Pikicu for the 2DS frustrating. So I'm looking for something she can have fun with, but that won't frustrate (or has options that can heavily reduce the frustration) and isn't 3rd Party Shovelware. She is interested in Pokemon, but I don't know if an RPG would be too complex (of course I have no clue what the hell even makes up a Pokemon game).
3. Related any recommendations for my 3 year? Obviously can't read on screen text yet, but can use apps.
3. Any other accessories that people recommend I get with the system (case, charger, etc)?

Thanks!

yo i played pokemon at like age 6 your daughter will be fine

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

TheScott2K posted:

Having trouble getting my Switch into holding-two-joycons mode and making them work in concert in the Grip. Any idea why? It's fine attached.

E: nurrmind, just had to reorder in the settings menu.

Are you going to the controller icon on the home screen and pairing there? I find it rarely starts properly.

Handsome Wife
Feb 17, 2001

MazelTovCocktail posted:

My 5-year-old LOVES loving around in Lego Worlds, and he's been really enjoying Kirby.

He and my 2-year-old both love Just Dance.

Edit: the 5-year-old has a lot of fun with Mario Kart too.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
How is Diablo, by the way? I enjoyed Torchlight and Titan Quest on PC, but never played this kind of game with a controller. Is it relatively easy to pick up?

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

HPanda posted:

How is Diablo, by the way? I enjoyed Torchlight and Titan Quest on PC, but never played this kind of game with a controller. Is it relatively easy to pick up?

It's good to play but the storyline is garbage.

Cultural Marxist
Jun 29, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Has anyone tried the Spintires port? I loved it on PS4, but never played the US DLC and I’m really hoping it’s good on the switch.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

HPanda posted:

It rules a lot

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MazelTovCocktail posted:

Thanks!

A glass screen protector is a good idea for anyone, but I'd imagine they're especially important if the system's being used by young kids. The Switch's screen is plastic, so compared to a glass smartphone screen, it's less likely to crack but much more likely to scratch. This is a good one.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Handsome Wife posted:

My 5-year-old LOVES loving around in Lego Worlds, and he's been really enjoying Kirby.

He and my 2-year-old both love Just Dance.

Nephew age 7 has been using my Switch at holidays since launch.

He played all of Odyssey by himself and it's one of his favorite games. -Be ready for "Mario is in underwear this is the peek of comedy"
He's bad at Splatoon but really loves the concept and seems to have a good time.
Minecraft: good because you can hot add players in splitscreen so you can all build together, comes with Waluigi skin!

Smash for WiiU was really fun for him, but I suspect it's because I taught him to select a character by scanning amiibos.

On the note of Pokemon I believe the most recent RPG title is still for the 3DS, the Switch one is a companion to Go. Might be a year out, but kids are kids and we all wanted Snap back in the day, so can't go too wrong. It should still have enough content without it, worst case go out and catch some pokemon on your cellphone too.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

So even though I haven't played Smash Bros since maybe twice on the N64, I just picked it up for Switch for some reason. There's so much poo poo going on I'm a little confused. If I want to do single player stuff, is the Spirits Adventure thing where I want to be? Are there any kind of controls/methodologies tutorials? And I'm assuming all this spirit stuff with a party and whatever will make sense eventually?

I guess I was just kind of caught off guard, it doesn't seem all that approachable having not really played another Smah game before.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So even though I haven't played Smash Bros since maybe twice on the N64, I just picked it up for Switch for some reason. There's so much poo poo going on I'm a little confused. If I want to do single player stuff, is the Spirits Adventure thing where I want to be? Are there any kind of controls/methodologies tutorials? And I'm assuming all this spirit stuff with a party and whatever will make sense eventually?

I guess I was just kind of caught off guard, it doesn't seem all that approachable having not really played another Smah game before.

Start with classic mode in the blue. Watch the training video in the vault4

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Spiffster posted:

Finally tried playing with the NES controllers... the controls just feel so much more natural now... like I was floundering with Mario in handheld mode and wondered if it was rust or age causing me to suck... nope just the controller I was using.

I had the same experience. They’re really awesome and makes me hope they do the same for SNES controllers. I have a SNES Classic but I want to play all that poo poo on Switch.:(

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pakled posted:

A glass screen protector is a good idea for anyone, but I'd imagine they're especially important if the system's being used by young kids. The Switch's screen is plastic, so compared to a glass smartphone screen, it's less likely to crack but much more likely to scratch. This is a good one.

Thanks! I appreciate it. I was wondering what might be needed to make sure the screen doesn't get screwed up.

Also thanks to everyone for the game suggestions. It's good to know that there is a lot to work with for the system. Especially with the Lego titles.

One quick question do people suggest just going the digital route for games (on one hand less crap, but you can't trade it in and sales are less often/good also tied to an account) vs physical (trade in's/better sales, not tied to an account)?

That said my brain broke briefly when I saw the price for a new controller..... I mean $79.99. :wtc:

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

I know this isn't exactly general Nintendo chat but I got to add like eight games to my Wii collection and ~40 issues to my Nintendo Power collection today. It's been cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

MazelTovCocktail posted:

One quick question do people suggest just going the digital route for games (on one hand less crap, but you can't trade it in and sales are less often/good also tied to an account) vs physical (trade in's/better sales, not tied to an account)?

This is a big one and you'll get a lot of different takes here but my personal view is that if you're buying games for kids on the Switch, go digital. The game cartridges are smaller than a Cheez-It and if they manage to get lost you're out of luck.