Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

One warning, I find the FTP function to VLC is slow as poo poo. Not sure if it’s just my setup or if that’s for everyone. I have a bunch of podcast files I move over and it can drag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
:lol: @ using an FTP server and VLC to listen to podcasts in 2018.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

withak posted:

:lol: @ using an FTP server and VLC to listen to podcasts in 2018.

poo poo, even Plex has podcast support and that seems crazy to me.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Silly Burrito posted:

Yes, exactly. I’m assuming with VLC, I would just have a list of files to play, not the movie posters and descriptions and everything else. Which ultimately will work too, just didn’t know if Kodi had an iOS equivalent for local media. Thanks!
I use Infuse and although it's occasionally spotty for rare movies, it'll usually pull in posters and descriptions for films purely based on the filename.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Listening to podcasts with anything other than a dedicated podcast app seems like self-torture to me

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'm picturing a cron job and a perl script that keeps the FTP server stocked with the latest podcasts. The script is labeled version 0.7.8.2b.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Dicty Brojangles posted:

nPlayer does pretty well at this.

This may be exactly what I’m looking for. I see there’s a lite and plus version too. Need to figure out what the differences are. Thanks!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

TraderStav posted:

poo poo, even Plex has podcast support and that seems crazy to me.

The only time I’ve messed with Plex’s podcast feature it sounds like it reads from predefined feeds? I literally have a stack of files from an old show that’s not online now, so VLC is a decent enough place for me to put those particular ones. It just surprised me how slow it handles file sizes of 100mb or so, so if you’re moving a big stack of kids movies across it might take a long time.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Waltr will take your ripped media and put it into the stock Videos/TV app with all the proper metadata loaded. It will also transcode the media into a compatible format if necessary. I've been using it with my kid's iPad for years.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Any good free or cheap apps where I can use my finger to “paint” some blur? I got a stellar portrait photo of my wife and son but there’s one spot of “not-blurred” background I’d love to fix.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
Annotable’s free version does this IIRC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Legs Benedict posted:

Annotable’s free version does this IIRC.

Thanks but not that I can see . :/ unless I’m (quite possibly) just dumb. :)

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!
oh lmao looks like I paid for that and text redaction I’m a dumbass but while looking that up I remembered Pinpoint exists

Pinpoint: Screenshot Editor by Lickability https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinpoint-screenshot-editor/id669858907?mt=8

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Legs Benedict posted:

oh lmao looks like I paid for that and text redaction I’m a dumbass but while looking that up I remembered Pinpoint exists

Pinpoint: Screenshot Editor by Lickability https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinpoint-screenshot-editor/id669858907?mt=8

Oh hey, thanks for that link.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

withak posted:

I'm picturing a cron job and a perl script that keeps the FTP server stocked with the latest podcasts. The script is labeled version 0.7.8.2b.

Please, it’s a bash script with an infinite while loop and a sleep 86400 command. Check out my github I’m open to pull requests.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Listening to podcasts with anything other than a dedicated podcast app seems like self-torture to me

Most likely they have a folder full of audio files. Few/no podcast apps actually let you load media.

Silly Burrito posted:

Is there a non-jailbreak Kodi equivalent that allows me to copy my kids ripped DVDs/MKV files from my NAS to an iPad and display/play them with the movie posters, artwork and such?

I don't think this is the best option, but I add it for completeness.
I believe you can compile your own Kodi and sideload it onto your own device without jb or a dev account.

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014
Happy New Years y’all!

Im in the mood for some learning, and came across Brilliant. It seems really great but it’s also really expensive. Are there any other similar apps that won’t break me? (I can handle a few bucks a month)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

thatfuturekid posted:

Happy New Years y’all!

Im in the mood for some learning, and came across Brilliant. It seems really great but it’s also really expensive. Are there any other similar apps that won’t break me? (I can handle a few bucks a month)

There are a lot of educational-like channels on YouTube that have discounts for things like that. For example https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c0pS3Zx7Fc8 gives you a 20% discount for Brilliant. I think the Kurzgesagt videos give discounts for Skill Share.

e: Looks like for the one I linked you’d have to pay for one year up front to get the cheap rate and 20% off.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Didn't the youtube app remember the playback position of videos when I quit the app, or did I hallucinate that?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Does on my iPad.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mike12345 posted:

Didn't the youtube app remember the playback position of videos when I quit the app, or did I hallucinate that?

It does. Sometimes it bugs out and doesn’t keep my place though.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

No, I think I was a bit unclear. Let's say I watch video x, never finish it, close the app. I reopen the app, watch a bunch of other videos. A week later I want to continue watching video x from the position I stopped watching. I'm starting to believe this is only possible on the desktop?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
It works like that for me on my iPad, if I find the old video by going to library - history.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Man I really want to play with the new Djay stuff but I own no local music and Djay won’t play Apple Music stuff. What an absolute shame.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It works like that for me on my iPad, if I find the old video by going to library - history.

ok weird. maybe some setting got changed, I don't know.

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

In the event I'm away from my computer, and I'd like to share my music creations (possibly via Email) that are in the Music app's library, what app can I use? Anything available for free?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Fantastical is 50% on the app store right now.
$2 for iPhone and $3 for iPad. No cross-platform buy still though so $5 if you want both.

MacOS is also 50% off, $24.99 there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

FCKGW posted:

Fantastical is 50% on the app store right now.
$2 for iPhone and $3 for iPad. No cross-platform buy still though so $5 if you want both.

MacOS is also 50% off, $24.99 there.

Some :words: on Fantastical if anyone was on the fence:

If you're someone who is making a lot of calendar events then the iOS apps are a good deal if only for its natural language input parser. On both iPhone and iPad the lock screen widget is pretty great too and shows me more relevant information than the default Calendar.app widget.

IMO where Fantastical falls short is on the iPad version compared with Calendar.app. On the iPad, the month view obfuscates appointment data by opting to show only colored dots associated with what calendar the event is in. The same view in Calendar.app's month view shows the actual event names and dates right in the month view which is useful for me cause I don't have a lot of events per day, so the month view looks more like looking at a paper calendar you'd write events in. To be fair, Fantastical on the iPad in month view will show a list of calendar events like an agenda so the information is there, but my brain doesn't processes agenda-like lists of events as well as a visual one laid out in a calendar so ymmv.

The iPhone version doesn't have this problem (and is better than iPhone's Calendar.app cause it's nicer to use) because there isn't enough screen space for either app to show the events laid out on top of the actual calendar in month view.

e: The "day ticker" feature is fun to play with but really poor at showing relevant information imo. When it's in the 'closed' position the bars don't give enough information to work with. Like it tells you you have one event on your 'red' calendar followed by an event on your 'blue' calendar but that's pretty much all it tells you. There's no information about when one event ends and the next one begins, or how much they overlap if they do, or how much time is in between appointments.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Jan 6, 2019

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Some :words: on Fantastical if anyone was on the fence:

If you're someone who is making a lot of calendar events then the iOS apps are a good deal if only for its natural language input parser.

This is really the only reason to have Fantastical. I bought it for iOS and Mac, and I really only use it for input. The rest of it is a mess, imo.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

XBenedict posted:

This is really the only reason to have Fantastical. I bought it for iOS and Mac, and I really only use it for input. The rest of it is a mess, imo.

the notification screen widget is good too imo

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

What the hell is with this update to the FB Messenger app? They made everything look gigantic as if I was an old person who cranked the font size way up on everything lmao

This is hideous :barf:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

What the hell is with this update to the FB Messenger app? They made everything look gigantic as if I was an old person who cranked the font size way up on everything lmao

Use Friendly

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

syscall girl posted:

Use Friendly
Isn't that the one that just opens the Facebook mobile site in an app and it's missing a bunch of features of the official apps?

I think I used that one before but it annoyed me because it didn't include all the features I use or something like that, so I switched back to the official apps.

The official Messenger app was totally fine until very recently. God, this new design is disgusting.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Isn't that the one that just opens the Facebook mobile site in an app and it's missing a bunch of features of the official apps?

I think I used that one before but it annoyed me because it didn't include all the features I use or something like that, so I switched back to the official apps.

The official Messenger app was totally fine until very recently. God, this new design is disgusting.

It's problematic but it has one great feature in that it is not the Facebook app

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

What's even worse is that Messenger and Instagram (maybe Facebook idk know I don't use it) aren't optimised for the XS Max even though they used to be. So everything looks even bigger.

Apparently to keep compatibility with iOS 9 which seems ridiculous to me

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Glad it's not just me who saw it change halfway through yesterday or something. My appstore log promised me it hadn't been updated so I was left confused.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It looks like a beta version that accidentally got pushed out as official hahaha

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I love that every app has weekly updates now that don’t state what changed in the changelogs. Awesome design.:thumbsup:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I've never had a problem FB apps, but I also don't have them open 24/7 so maybe that's my problem??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

I've never had a problem FB apps, but I also don't have them open 24/7 so maybe that's my problem??

I could comment on FB and its relationship with APPL but well

Its relationship with Sarnsung is much more annoying anyway