Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Death Bot posted:

Admittedly it probably doesn't help that I read the entire webcomic Garou arc in one sitting, whereas with the redraw I actually don't remember how long the arc has been going, it feels like Garou first showed up over a year ago???

I just wanna see this stuff that I'm actually invested in drawn finally!!

ya and the garou arc is like 30 chapters in the wbecomic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I like the murata version but I definitely looked forward to the webcomic updates more. It was faster and felt like there was more story. The new version is visually stunning and the fights are exceptionally done but they do feel a bit more hollow to me.

Before I even read it I know nothing important is going to happen most of the time. And I don't mean just because I've read the original version. Enough has changed that it's basically it's own story. What I mean is the big fights tend to be very formulaic. It is shonen action after all. There's the introduction and maybe some feints, one side uses trump card, then the opponent uses their trump card, then the actual really real trump card. It's done really well and is spectacularly drawn, but it's nothing I haven't seen many times before.

Drawing each fight makes the formula more obvious.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Man child emperor is a fuckin chump, can barely beat some dude in a costume

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Terror Sweat posted:

Man child emperor is a fuckin chump, can barely beat some dude in a costume

To be fair, he is but a child in a costume

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Death Bot posted:

To be fair, he is but a child in a costume

And before he got in the robot suit, he didn't even have a costume.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

And before he got in the robot suit, he didn't even have a costume.

that lollipops a prop

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Kild posted:

that lollipops a prop

Lollipops work miracles for Bayonetta, so they may be a source of power

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Why is he called Child Emperor

he's not even emperor of anything???

WHAT GIVES

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think that if there is a reason to rag on the new version compared to the webcomic it’s that the webcomic no longer updates because of the adaptation so you can’t even just go read it instead if the Murata version is paced too slowly :(

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Lollipops work miracles for Bayonetta, so they may be a source of power

Bayonetta's lollipops are actually potions.

Also, ONE's a hack, give him a half-decent artist and his stories just go to poo poo. Give ownership of the manga to Yoko Taro.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

To me, the issue with Murata's version is that it's crossed the thin line of parody/commentary on shonen into being pretty straight laced shonen.

It's drat good shonen though.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It's always straigth shounen as long as Saitama isn't around. That's kind of the point

He is the thing that creates the subversion of the tropes

Personally I've waited to see the S-class heroes get fights and now Murata is giving each S class hero a fight so I'm in heaven

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I was hoping to see more from Class S too but these recent fights haven't exactly been the quality of say Metal Bat vs Garou.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Garou just makes any fight compelling - if there's any portion of the Murata OPM that feels undisputably better than the webcomic it's Garou fights.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
That's because it was two awesome characters fighting and not just a Hero vs Monster

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Zzulu posted:

That's because it was two awesome characters fighting and not just a Hero vs Monster

Yep. Motivations matter.

I think that's also part of why I liked the Flashy Flash fight better than this one. The monster ninjas had a personal grudge, Flash hates his clan, there's some actual character beats, even if it's for one-offs we'll never see again.

Meanwhile, Phoenixman and Child Emperor both don't particularly care about the other beyond the hero V. villain thing. It was cool looking, and they both had some characterization, but they didn't build on each other at all.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Theres just a lot of stuff that gets added that keeps us from my favorite parts of this arc and i just hope that those parts don't get hosed up because of it.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

Theres just a lot of stuff that gets added that keeps us from my favorite parts of this arc and i just hope that those parts don't get hosed up because of it.

Seriously, there's plenty more he can drag out and make more awesome going forward and the way it's dragging on with these joke fights and a loving tournament, we're not going to see the end of this arc until 2024, 10 years after the Garou appeared.

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

What I'd like to see more of is the quick check-ins to see what the other heroes are doing. Just a few pages at the end of each chapter for some levity or a gag would be a good palette cleanser. Flashy Flash dropping their sword to choose which tunnel to take, stuff like that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Just waiting for the 120 page Pig God extravaganza.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Xarbala posted:

Just waiting for the 120 page Pig God extravaganza.

its 120 pages of him leaving yelp reviews

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Josuke Higashikata posted:

To me, the issue with Murata's version is that it's crossed the thin line of parody/commentary on shonen into being pretty straight laced shonen.

It's drat good shonen though.

:agreed:

I don't like complaining about Murata's version because it is absolutely gorgeous, and the fights being elaborated on is such a good call for him.

The webcomic got the gist of its conflicts across quicker, which allowed for an overall faster pace up until One unleashed Mob Psycho upon the world and promptly became quite busy.

I enjoy One Punch Man a lot, even still. My enjoyment has just transformed a little bit.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Expect My Mom posted:

I think it's cool people are working out their feelings towards this manga and I sincerely hope this discussion continues. These long fights never really bothered me, I'm totally cool with big fights without pathos and drive most of the time, but I bet knowing what this all culminates in really helps. I'll admit to not liking the pace and I def let some chapters accumulate but I still come away with a good enough time. What I will say though iiiiiiiiiiiis

It's wild that these two trailers are only seven seconds different in length, the Mob trailer feels like it goes on forever, always showing you something new. The OPM trailer made me think my speakers were being weird and then King's face did look weird.I guess I'm gonna chalk that up to Mob Season 2 airing in like two weeks, two months at the time of that trailer. The OPM one feels more like a memory refresher cause you may not have seen these characters in three years.

Anyway, here's the newest Mob Psycho trailer and god, i assume most people here have checked out Mob Psycho by now but if you haven't, you extreeeeeeeeeemely need to. It's really clear why it was ONE's main focus for so long
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pr43Sayk37s

I didn't really care for what I saw of mob psycho cause I'm extremely tired of grifter type main characters

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
a what

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Eej posted:

I didn't really care for what I saw of mob psycho cause I'm extremely tired of grifter type main characters

All the grifters in Mob Psycho are villains. All the main characters are honest businessmen and -women who solve their clients problems.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I'm getting trolled online

If Reigen is considered a grifter than King is too, arguably a bigger one

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Reigen runs a business where he takes advantage of a high school student's powers under the guise of teaching him and takes credit for Mob's work. King is a victim of circumstance and the comedy is that no one would believe him as powerless anyway and he isn't acting with malice to take advantage of his situation.

Again I didn't watch much because I checked out after the initial premise of "guy takes advantage of gifted kid and makes excuses to keep the facade up" humour so maybe that changes but I don't care enough to press on

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mob works part time for Reigen throughout the show but there's few episodes that are actually about the job.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Eej posted:

Reigen runs a business where he takes advantage of a high school student's powers under the guise of teaching him and takes credit for Mob's work. King is a victim of circumstance and the comedy is that no one would believe him as powerless anyway and he isn't acting with malice to take advantage of his situation.

Reigan runs a business where he helps people who think they have supernatural problems but in reality only need a massage or some photoshop. Then he has mob for any real supernatural problems. If mob or anyone has a real human problem Reigan is your man.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

Zzulu posted:

Why is he called Child Emperor

he's not even emperor of anything???

WHAT GIVES

I think it has something to do with the "God of X" saying in Japanese. Although that's just a guess.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Still dunno what a grifter is and the discussion is really pointless because tthat dude is already entrenched in his prejudice against mob but Reigen is a hard worker (have you seen that massage he gives) and does way more to actively help people than King, who's literally just The Joke and actively puts people in danger by having them trust in his strength.

He could, you know, warn people that he can't do poo poo. Butno

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

A Grifter is basically a conman, which more fits Reigen than King.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Eej posted:

Again I didn't watch much because I checked out after the initial premise of "guy takes advantage of gifted kid and makes excuses to keep the facade up" humour so maybe that changes but I don't care enough to press on

Reigen is actually a genuinely good person who's just using his silver tongue and quick thinking to make money. He only scams people in that the methods he uses aren't exactly what they think they are, but they almost always leave satisfied. As for his relationship with Mob, I'm gonna spoiler tag some stuff that may help you, this is stuff revealed at the end of Season 1.

Mob comes to Reigen's business as a grade schooler, looking to Reigen as an older psychic that he can ask advice and help from. Reigen keeps the facade that he's a psychic up, but tells Mob that psychic powers aren't what define him, but it's his nature that matters. As long as Mob cares about other people and seeks to help people, he'll be a good person and psychic powers or not, he'll be fulfilled. Reigen doesn't tell the Mob the truth that he's not a psychic because if Mob knew he was just a normal person, then Mob wouldn't really care what someone not in his shoes would say. Reigen then employs Mob so he can always keep an eye on him, but also as a legitimate plus to his business. He doesn't pay Mob a fair salary yeah because it's more for him, but also because Mob's an eighth grader and doesn't really need to make fifty bucks in an afternoon, and the work gives him outlet to use abilities in a way that helps that people in attempt to show that he can fit in with society and throughout the series Reigen's influence on Mob guides him on how to act, and it's extremely clear that Reigen always has Mob's best interest at hearts, but sometimes he does see a great way to make money

Manga Spoilers Here: It's debatable if Mob ever catches on that Reigen is a fraud, but Mob doesn't care. There's a very specific scene where Mob realizes that Reigen is what Mob thought he was all along: a good person.

Now I love King, but he's still living a lie that he himself made and could break at any time. Sure he lives a life of anxiety and turmoil and I I feel bad for him, but he's still collecting his pay checks at the end of the week to buy his new dating sim.

and yeah the show doesn't focus on the job, it's just Mob's life and the people in it all trying to be better people, and Reigen is one of those people.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Kild posted:

ya and the garou arc is like 30 chapters in the wbecomic
For some important context, it's about as long as all the other prior webcomic arcs combined. The Murata version isn't really drawn out any more than the rest of the arcs to date, there's just a lot more to elaborate on.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Reigen is a huge cheapskate and should have been paying Mob more but he's also actually a good mentor and a big part of Mob learning to use his powers for good reasons as opposed to entirely repressing that part of himself or abusing his power and hurting someone.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Also Reigan actually has impressive psychic powers that allow him to contribute to fights more than drawing aggro for everyone else take advantage of to throw sucker punches.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

RareAcumen posted:

Also Reigan actually has impressive psychic powers that allow him to contribute to fights more than drawing aggro for everyone else take advantage of to throw sucker punches.

I'd describe them more as... special techniques.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

SyntheticPolygon posted:

A Grifter is basically a conman, which more fits Reigen than King.

reigen actually solves his clients problems, and often cheaper than a actual salon or digital designer does it for. he's hardly a conman. :colbert:

king just takes unintentional credit for saitamas deeds.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 22, 2018

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Reigen is an expert liar and bullshitter but in a vaguely benevolent way while King is a coward and weakling that the world has the wrong impression about and he is too scared to correct them.

Reigen's whole deal is conning people into believing he's an expert and like has genuine credentials when he's anything but, yet he still gives people a good deal and does right by his clients because he's an alright guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Reigen is one if the best characters ONE has ever written and his ability to solve people's problems through elbow grease, common sense, and thoughtfulness is top tier.