Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

as far as i can tell, most people have two or three alts for crafting and support. what would i need to interact with other players to do? or, rather, what's to stop this from just being a single-player game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Radio Free Kobold posted:

as far as i can tell, most people have two or three alts for crafting and support. what would i need to interact with other players to do? or, rather, what's to stop this from just being a single-player game?

depends on what you want those alts to do

the way the game works even 3 alts isnt enough to go solo

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

armorcrafter, gatherer, weaponmaker, and a main character? it'd be doable if you crafted/gathered on all three like eight hours a day for awhile maybe.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
When I first started I had the same idea, but the people on here who already have master armor/weaponsmith can get you what you need for way less effort than it would take you to grind out those profs and find all the resources and set up the factories and do it yourself, so I just stopped worrying about it and hit the vendors lol

site fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 20, 2018

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

the thing to do in crafting is probably to find a niche that isn't filled by whatever's on the market right now and just fill that. speeders or extractors or factories or clothing or cooking or something.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

"To win in battle, know your enemy. To win in life, know your weakness."
- Miyamoto Musashi

Radio Free Kobold posted:

the thing to do in crafting is probably to find a niche that isn't filled by whatever's on the market right now and just fill that. speeders or extractors or factories or clothing or cooking or something.

There are a lot of niches that need to be filled on Stardust too.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.

Levarris posted:

There are a lot of niches that need to be filled on Stardust too.

What kind of gaps are there currently?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

whatspeakyou posted:

What kind of gaps are there currently?

Just need more players really. Come to the Discord and see what people say.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

Just need more players really. Come to the Discord and see what people say.

This pretty much. If everyone who said to themselves, "I'd play there if more people played there." Instead of saying that, actually played. A lot of people would be playing.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
Alright I'll see if I can't get it up and running at some point this week.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

whatspeakyou posted:

Alright I'll see if I can't get it up and running at some point this week.

Nice.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
This server is fantastic. Lev thanks for doing this.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

whatspeakyou posted:

Needs more people playing. People in this thread.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
That's just like, your opinion man.
So is this stardust thing actually enjoyable? I was thinking of getting back into SWG (for the 50th time) and almost instinctively hopped on Basilisk. The original pre-CU is my flavor of choice but if you are all loving the new flavor then I'll add to the population for sure.

One question I have is how are classes like droid engineer, creature handler, etc that have had issues being implemented in emu's in the past? Besides JTL are there any core features missing or not working properly or is this what we have all been waiting for?

EDIT: I watched the video and read a bit to answer some of my own stupid questions. This looks super fantastic and I am hopping on as soon as possible!

EDIT2: Has anyone had success running this on Linux?

Mindisgone fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 16, 2018

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Levarris you are amazing, thanks for this.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

So is this stardust thing actually enjoyable? I was thinking of getting back into SWG (for the 50th time) and almost instinctively hopped on Basilisk. The original pre-CU is my flavor of choice but if you are all loving the new flavor then I'll add to the population for sure.

One question I have is how are classes like droid engineer, creature handler, etc that have had issues being implemented in emu's in the past? Besides JTL are there any core features missing or not working properly or is this what we have all been waiting for?

EDIT: I watched the video and read a bit to answer some of my own stupid questions. This looks super fantastic and I am hopping on as soon as possible!

EDIT2: Has anyone had success running this on Linux?

The launcher won't work in Linux I don't think, let me know if you get it to with Wine, that would be interesting to know. The client itself works 100% with Wine though. Every ground profession is 100% implemented. JTL features, still are not. But they are in works. (not by me, but by SWGEmu)

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

whatspeakyou posted:

Agreed. Just got it installed, never looking back.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

TequilaJesus posted:

Agreed. Just got it installed, never looking back.

Glad you are enjoying it!

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Update to running Stardust on Linux. I am actually going to bail on this and just run a virtual machine on my desktop and dual boot my laptop, problem solved (or averted).

Also I would like to start a crafting and possibly a surveying guild. I am going to post more about it in Stardust forums but for the goons not already here hop on this hotness. :thumbsup:

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

Mindisgone posted:

Update to running Stardust on Linux. I am actually going to bail on this and just run a virtual machine on my desktop and dual boot my laptop, problem solved (or averted).

Also I would like to start a crafting and possibly a surveying guild. I am going to post more about it in Stardust forums but for the goons not already here hop on this hotness. :thumbsup:

I figured the launcher would not work in linux. The client absolutely does, but in the case of stardust that doesn't matter because without the launcher you won't get the most up to date version of the client TRE.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

So which planet do goons migrate to in stardust?

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

TequilaJesus posted:

So which planet do goons migrate to in stardust?

Right now, where everyone else migrates to. Mos Stardust on Tatooine, until things grow enough that more cities pop up.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Mindisgone posted:

I'm intrigued.

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.
Everyone that is interested in playing on Stardust, just join the Discord, we'll get you straightened out. All your questions will be answered.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi

HiriseSoftware posted:

Everyone that is interested in playing on Stardust, just join the Discord, we'll get you straightened out. All your questions will be answered.

All questions game related..

iamthehans
May 1, 2012
i've been playing, seems way easier to grind out the combat professions. Have mixed feelings about the combat system, I like the fact action/health have more set roles but I do miss seeing the blue mind bar and it having some sort of use. Star dust is pretty far from pre-cu but it feels like welcome changes.
Have not tried to craft anything yet and to be honest leveling crafting has always been awful in any version of swg.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
I urge you to look into crafting. As with combat xp, this server seems to lessen the grind on all of the professions I have tried so far and my overall experience has been very fun and allows you to actually play the professions you want as opposed to never ending grinds.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Bear in mind I have bonus XP turned on through the holidays. It's right now like 4x with an additional 3x group bonus. Normally it's 1x with a 2x group bonus. In short right now is a good time to grind out, after New Years I will likely turn it back to the standard XP rate. Though honestly at this point I may not because people are growing accustomed to the higher xp gains.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Levarris posted:

Though honestly at this point I may not because people are growing accustomed to the higher xp gains.

Please keep it, the leveling pace feels great with the boosted xp

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

site posted:

Please keep it, the leveling pace feels great with the boosted xp

I second this. It's refreshing to get back into a game I love and be able to play the professions I want right away. Also with the growing player base it's probably better to get some players into the advanced professions to be able to serve the community better. I can understand when the community grows to a point where you don't want to flood everyone and make it too easy. It's a balance for sure, good luck Levarris!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

I'm an adult now, with a wife and a job. Please keep xp multipliers, I don't have as much grind time as I did the summer after Senior year.

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
Looks like it's sticking around. Poll numbers are heavily in favor of it remaining.

whatspeakyou
Mar 3, 2010

no fucks given.
I can throw all my crafters and hand samplers into this mythical by guild if you get it created, Mind. I have a master chef but no resources yet. Working on getting medical resources for CM first.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Hey how do factories work? I've never progressed in crafting past novice chef.

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...
Excellent whatspeakyou, I am in the middle of mastering bio-engineer and can provide additives and whatever else you may need.

LAT, I have never played as chef but in other professions you place the factory provide it energy and credits for maintenance. Then put a schematic in it. To make the schematic for an item you have to be near the appropriate crafting station then use the same crafting tool type, it will ask you if you want to create a prototype, experiment, or create schematic. Try experimenting first for bonuses then create your schematic. :cheers:

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
If any of you want a guild hall to form Goon Squad or whatever it'll be called here let me know and I'll make one for you with my crafter. I just won't be joining on my character(s) so as I maintain a position of neutrality on the server and within the community.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.

Levarris posted:

If any of you want a guild hall to form Goon Squad or whatever it'll be called here let me know and I'll make one for you with my crafter. I just won't be joining on my character(s) so as I maintain a position of neutrality on the server and within the community.

I appreciate that, honestly. "Goon SWG server" is the sound of something that could go pear-shaped in a hurry, and as funny as that might be I like the idea of the longer-term, stabler project.

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

Conskill posted:

"Goon SWG server" is the sound of something that could go pear-shaped

That's the fun part

Mindisgone
May 18, 2011

Yeah, well you know...

Levarris posted:

Lev can you please make me a guild hall for the guild "Syndicate" for all crafters. I made a more detailed description of my vision for the guild on the stardust forums but that seems to be a barren wasteland right now in need of its players to sign up on it and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levarris
Sep 19, 2011

- Miyamoto Musashi
I posted 3 guild halls on my structures vendor for 200k each.