Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

I’m the crayons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
That needs to be the OP when we start the election 2020 thread.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
What are those small black tins

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Herman Merman posted:

You've never seen a can of dip?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Herman Merman posted:

You.. don’t recognize them? You never seen dip before?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Tbf the only time I’ve ever seen dip or people dipping in my life was in the Army

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My psychiatrist had a fat dip in the last time I saw him. And a guy on my trim crew dips Skoal, though isn't a veteran.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Tbf the only time I’ve ever seen dip or people dipping in my life was in the Army

same

and EMTs for some reason

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I've never seen anyone dip outside of the military.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, I've never seen anyone dip outside of the military. The only thing close in terms of people outside the military are my Norwegian cousins that use snus which I guess is sort of a less lovely Swedish version of dip.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dipping was reasonably common in my high school. I tried it once and felt nauseous afterwards.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

and EMTs for some reason

They're ex mil

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Dipping was reasonably common in my high school. I tried it once and felt nauseous afterwards.

It's pretty much the worst habit short of heroin or meth.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
I dipped once after I got out, and got really queasy.

Haven’t touched it since

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I stopped dipping because after like 3 months of semi-regular use I couldn't brush my teeth without bleeding. And seeing the weirdo rednecks who only dipped who had the most hosed up teeth in the world before the age of 30 was a really good point to never dip again.

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

A Bad Poster posted:

Spoken like someone who didn't attend high school in rural Georgia. (Which is among many reasons I hate going there to see my relatives.)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My grandfather dipped copenhagen nearly all his goddamn life. Always got the fine cut poo poo. Started before he was 10, died at 76 pretty much from stomach cancer, because he'd gut that poo poo all the time. Lived his whole life in cornfield country, Illinois. Never really drank, never touched drugs.

His father drank Seagrams 7 poo poo, smoked 2 packs of chesterfield nonfilters a day, and always had a pouch of red man chew on him. Keeled over from an aneurysm at 69.

Point being, I come from trashy folk with bad habits.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
You can always trust humans to ignore adverse effects of habits if they come with social perks like looking cool, which was a big part in why kids picked up smoking I assume (also, the whole way they were marketed in the earlier decades in the US, I guess).
It has a serious impact on your health, but at least you "look cool".

Vaping may have the lowest impact on your health outside of the nicotine itself, but you look like a douchebag in public, so it'll be attractive to those that absolutely need to get off the cancer stick, and those that, uh...think they don't look like a douchebag in public.

Dipping...I never understood dipping.
It looks absolutely loving disgusting, kills you with roughly the same probability as cancer, but with the added benefit of loving up your teeth and a bonus chance for different kinds of oral cancer.

Is it literally just the "this is a hard job, we're hard men, you're cramming tobacco in your mouth now if you want to belong and look hard"-aspect, or what factors into the decision to choose dip over any other form of nicotine?

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

A Bad Poster posted:

I went to a school with a strong earth sciences/engineering program.

If you went underground or worked with explosives, you dipped. Smoked too, but oh yeah did they dip.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

who doesn’t love dip bottles/cups spilling everywhere.

When people caught wind of dip coming to the ship store on a replenishment at sea there would be a line through the whole ship. It was a great commodity, and I’m not sure why dippers didn’t just buy tons of logs of tins before deployment. Smart folks didn’t dip and stocked up to barter with

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 23, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vaping is more of a way for me to discreetly smoke pot in public. I do not miss all the crap that came with my pack a day habit. Persistent dry cough.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I bought one of those dumb vape pens sometime in February, because I wanted a casual nicotine hit available for those times when you look tell Google Maps to take you home at the end of a work day, and Munich traffic slams its giant floppy dick on your screen, and you can go "meh, I'll have a smoke on the way home", but without cigarettes. Then I looked up what else kind of hardware was around, and figured out those little fuckers are essentially on-demand-hookahs, and the only thing that ever kept me from getting a water pipe was the fact that they're bulky.

And you have to fire them up.

And then use them for an extended period of time, because otherwise you're wasting the coconut-weave-or-whatever-the-gently caress-brick.

Oh, you also need to buy those bricks.

And flavored tobacco.

Which inevitably dries out once you open it, even if you seal it properly.

So now I have a pen for traffic jams, a pocket-hookah for gaming, and mixing flavored "juices" for them costs next to nothing. Seems casual enough. Added benefit of blasting THC-juices on the two occasions that a friend of mine offered them, even though I only indulged them once, because it was a really odd high. But someone on Discord said it was probably concentrated too high and I'm not used to that kind of a hit, so that was probably my issue.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Only the Swedish version. Didn't know it was popular among US servicemen too, although it seems obvious in hindsight.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Dipping was fairly common where I grew up but that was two states where tobacco use was unusually high compared to the rest of the US.

Tried dip exactly one time in my life and the nicotine buzz and how awake I felt was frankly awesome and I didn’t feel sick, but I also knew it was a habit I did not want to pick up.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

who doesn’t love dip bottles/cups spilling everywhere.

When people caught wind of dip coming to the ship store on a replenishment at sea there would be a line through the whole ship. It was a great commodity, and I’m not sure why dippers didn’t just buy tons of logs of tins before deployment. Smart folks didn’t dip and stocked up to barter with

A couple of reasons. One being that enlisted are awful with money and wouldn't afford a deployment worth of dip in one shot. Another being that it dries out, even in those lovely plastic cans, fairly quickly, around a month or two. Not nearly as fast as the cardboard copenhagen cans, those dry out quick, couple weeks. Cope makes plastic cans too, but there's a following behind the old cardboard style.

Last time I dipped I was buying those camel snus tins, they weren't bad. I'd probably use them more if I cared about putting my cigarettes out in no-smoking signed areas.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I grew up in rodeo country. One of the biggest things I remember is that you could go sign up for skoal and copenhagen mailing lists and they’d give you a free log of dip. I never liked it, but rednecks love it.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

This thread has reminded me that I need to replace the base of my hookah.

crazyivan45
Apr 30, 2008

Godholio posted:

This thread has reminded me that I need to replace the base of my hookah.

This has reminded me that I have a hookah

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

crazyivan45 posted:

This has reminded me that I have a hookah

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May
My hookah is decorative only now because several years ago I turned 30 and started worrying about cancer and poo poo.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't come home with a hookah.

I came home with a little gold plated thing that looks like a small eucharist cup with a matching lid to put my weed in. No idea where it is now.

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN
Can't smoke in a cubicle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You can smoke until someone tells you to stop.

There's a story about Andrew Dice Clay where him and another comedian are walking around some no smoking venue. Dice lights up and the other guy is all "wtf are you doing" while they walk around. About halfway through his cigarette a security guard or employee tells him to put it out, so he complies. The other guy was like, "told you, you can't smoke in here" and Dice fires back with something like, "you say that but I just smoked half a cigarette in here."

Beepity Boop
Nov 21, 2012

yay

Kinda like how you can park wherever, it's just sometimes it costs a parking ticket, and other times it costs a parking ticket and a tow. Or two broken windows and a bunch of pissed-off firefighters.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, I've never seen anyone dip outside of the military. The only thing close in terms of people outside the military are my Norwegian cousins that use snus which I guess is sort of a less lovely Swedish version of dip.

Yeah my Norwegian friends introduced me to it. Far less lovely than dip.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Victor Vermis posted:

Can't smoke in a cubicle.

basically this. All of the people I know who dipped were cowboys, people who loved the idea of cowboys, or people who couldn't smoke (i:e: worked inside, got no smoke breaks, worked with explosives, thought chew was sly)

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I can't find it on youtube but there's a local lawyer commercial (Frank Azar) that has a guy "facetime" style recording a review, and he's got a fat dip in his bottom lip. It's so loving obvious that I always wait for a dip bottle to pop into frame, but it never happens.

Hremsfeld posted:

Kinda like how you can park wherever, it's just sometimes it costs a parking ticket, and other times it costs a parking ticket and a tow. Or two broken windows and a bunch of pissed-off firefighters.

Exactly. Do what you want, gently caress other people.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Did you know you can murder people until the police stop you? #lifehack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

EBB posted:

Did you know you can murder people until the police stop you? #lifehack

did you know the police can't arrest a corpse?