Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Coffee And Pie posted:

Is that a genre of stores? And how would you make money off of someone getting arrested?
Same way the state makes money off of arresting random innocent black people in Ferguson et al, they become involuntary labor. Not to mention the societal bonus of keeping "stranger danger" a threat in the minds of parents.

You see these stores at the mall, they have names like Claire's, Justice, etc. "Justice" is a little on-the-nose, come to think of it.

Tubgoat has a new favorite as of 21:34 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
First responders shouldn't be classified as Heroes because they're getting paid for what they do.
Edit: a word.

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

safe harbor posted:

First responders shouldn't be classified as Heroes because they're getting paid for what they do.
Edit: a word.

While I did this for five years as a medic, I must point out that the average pay for an EMT in Arizona until 2016 was $9.60/hour, and for a paramedic it was $10.55. We unionized (a two-year battle with more than $400,000 in court costs), and it raised to...$10.60 for EMTs and $13.80 for paramedics. Just for context.

Also, like, zero people actually doing the job itself call themselves "heroes." It's really only a talking point for heads on the news, or facebook remembrance pages. We're just, like, going to work. So your opinion doesn't really have any teeth with the people in the jobs themselves, and I don't quite understand where you got the viewpoint or why it's that important to you.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 21:44 on Dec 22, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Queen Combat posted:

While I did this for five years as a medic, I must point out that the average pay for an EMT in Arizona until 2016 was $9.60/hour, and for a paramedic it was $10.55. We unionized (a two-year battle with more than $400,000 in court costs), and it raised to...$10.60 for EMTs and $13.80 for paramedics. Just for context.

Yeah, it is literally y'all's jobs to be heroes and you'll never be paid enough for it, like even if the pay were approaching fair.
That having been said, if you rescue someone whose rescue will put them in inescapable debt, pocket their identifying credentials, log them as a John Doe and mail them back their stuff on the sly once they've been healed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Queen Combat posted:

Also, like, zero people actually doing the job itself call themselves "heroes." It's really only a talking point for heads on the news, or facebook remembrance pages. We're just, like, going to work. So your opinion doesn't really have any teeth with the people in the jobs themselves, and I don't quite understand where you got the viewpoint or why it's that important to you.

“Hey, at least other people get paid even worse wages so it’s fine!!”-all those drat facebook memes

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy
Whoa no disagreement with the third world hellhole that the US's medical system is re: debt. First touch/transport for an EMT is state mandated at $648 minimum, around $800 for a paramedic, and $1200 for a nurse ambulance transport (those are a thing in some areas).

This country is hosed, and I guess in a weird way we're all in agreement on this page.

Queen Combat has a new favorite as of 21:49 on Dec 22, 2018

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Hero isn't really a label one can self-apply because even under the most justified circumstances, it comes off as conceited.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I am the most conceited and admitting that means I am the most heroic.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It is very foolish to have “heroes”.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Heroes should be on a person by person basis. Like you can easily be a hero in one person's mind for various reasons, but that doesn't entitle you to special treatment from anybody else. Unless a "hero" directly impacted your life, you have no obligation to treat them like one, and I'm sure most would appreciate it if people would stop kissing their feet for just doing their job.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I guess we should start by asking, what does "hero" mean. yeah I eat rear end seems to think being a hero means special treatment and getting your feet kissed, from one person if no one else. To me that seems tangentially related at best.

Heroism is an action, something you do, maybe just once and not witnessed by anyone. It's a moment in which you overcome yourself, your fears and limitations, and do something unusual. Something most people in the same situation would and could not do.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Santa Clarita Diet is also amazing

Watched a few episodes so far, and yeah, good stuff.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:07 on Dec 23, 2018

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Any non-nazi who killed a nazi is a hero. That's the only standard. Yes, that means that there were no heroes before the 1930s. Yes, that means that heart disease and auto accidents are heroes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

I guess we should start by asking, what does "hero" mean. yeah I eat rear end seems to think being a hero means special treatment and getting your feet kissed, from one person if no one else. To me that seems tangentially related at best.

Heroism is an action, something you do, maybe just once and not witnessed by anyone. It's a moment in which you overcome yourself, your fears and limitations, and do something unusual. Something most people in the same situation would and could not do.

I didn't mean it literally.

As much as I hate to associate with him because of what he has done to my youtube recommended videos, Bill Burr put it best. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MCaljpu1bW4

doverhog
May 31, 2013

American soldiers serving in wars started by the war criminal Dick Cheney and his puppet certainly aren't "heroes" in most ways, but they still could've done something heroic.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

And it's fine to recognize that but not all police/firemen/military are heroes but we're all expected to treat them like one. I'm just saying, if their heroism had no effect on you, you can still consider them a hero but it's dumb to grovel at their feet as if they are your savior.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Even if it did have a direct effect on you, you should never grovel at their feet.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Some firemen are quite awful. Maybe not most but a lot are. I don't buy their calenders.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Even if it did have a direct effect on you, you should never grovel at their feet.

I'm not being literal. I mean, if a fireman actually saved the life of my family or myself, i'd be very grateful and feel obliged to pay him back in some way, even though he was just doing his job. I don't feel the same way about his buddy who saved another family, because he didn't do anything for me. I still consider the other guy a good guy, but there isn't the same sense of being in their debt.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Ok dude but you are the one using these very submissive phrases. How about a firm handshake and a thank you sir.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

doverhog posted:

don't kink shame

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

doverhog posted:

Ok dude but you are the one using these very submissive phrases. How about a firm handshake and a thank you sir.

idk I feel like if a cop saved my family from being brutally murdered i'd at least feel like I owe him a christmas card and maybe a nice pie or something, i don't know, if that makes me submissive :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I hate people who shake my hand firmly

In fact I hate all hand shakers, that is gross and tied up in dumbass masculinity to boot!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

In fact I hate all hand shakers, that is gross and tied up in dumbass masculinity to boot!

Handshake strength needs to be congruent with the shakee. If it's a frail old person, be gentle. If it's just some guy, do it normally. If they are squeezing so hard it hurts, do it back.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I did not mean any sort of dominance display with "firm handshake", just a ritual a fire/cop/war man might appreciate as you say thanks.

A limp handshake feels wrong, there is some gripping involved. However anyone who does it hard enough for it to be painful is far off the right path.

doverhog has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Dec 23, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

Any non-nazi who killed a nazi is a hero. That's the only standard. Yes, that means that there were no heroes before the 1930s. Yes, that means that heart disease and auto accidents are heroes.

A nazi who destroys the lives of other nazis (and almost always their own) is an hero

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

MizPiz posted:

A nazi who destroys the lives of other nazis (and almost always their own) is an hero

By that logic, you're calling Hitler a hero

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Gripweed posted:

Well, I mean, he did kill Hitler.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Nazi watches are popular but people just call them Flieger watches to feel better about themselves. They are for the Nazi air force.

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo

Mu Zeta posted:

Nazi watches are popular but people just call them Flieger watches to feel better about themselves. They are for the Nazi air force.

Ist dast nicht jetzt die Luftwaffe?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Yes the luftwaffe that operated during the Nazi regime

I own one too and like it but let's just call it what it is.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you're correct but it's something so firmly established like eye contact ot saying hello being opposed to it makes you seem weird so maybe pick your battles

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Gripweed posted:

Anyone who kills a dragon is a hero. That's the standard. Bearded, komodo or flying, any one counts. It's cruel and pointless, but that's just the way it is.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gripweed posted:

Was hoping someone else caught it before my flight

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=an%20hero

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Anyone who kills a dragon is a hero. That's the standard. Bearded, komodo or flying, any one counts. It's cruel and pointless, but that's just the way it is.

If you kill a dragon, in the Tolkien sense, you are a hero. Glaurung, Ancalagon, Smaug.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
The Gatwick drone pilot is a genuine hero. They demonstrated a means to cause mass disruption with minimal effort, which is a great boon for activists.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

They also shoved various governments how Russia might attack your airfield, or did attack it, not sure which. Great boon for activists tho, is not the terminology I'd use.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

A mans handshake technique will tell you how the handjob he will give you later after the gf goes to sleep will feel

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Gripweed posted:

By the same token, bombing Nazi cities was not a “war crime” because most of the people in Dresden and Cologne were Nazis anyway.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
it began again

here's one to get us away from politics: canned vegetables taste better than fresh veggies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

doverhog posted:

They also shoved various governments how Russia might attack your airfield, or did attack it, not sure which. Great boon for activists tho, is not the terminology I'd use.

Oh sweetie you are just adorable :allears: