Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Smol posted:

Basically every champion should bend the normal rules in some manner that makes you feel envious of their abilities while playing other champions. That much is just game design 101. Whether her shroud is the right vehicle for that is up for debate.

no, a big part of riots design philosophy is preventing burden of knowledge: akalis shroud working differently than every other bit of invis in the game is something that players are required to learn to play around. there is also no indication why that it works that way, which is frustrating for new players to learn.

establishing conventions just to break them is something that needs to be done extremely delicately, and riot did not come even close to pulling it off. the functionality is so broken that her power budget is way out of balance and thus the character as a whole is a balance nightmare. and then, what does she get? it adds nothing to the game to make her immune to true sight. it makes her less interesting to play against, actually, and removes decision making from akali.

it is just really poorly designed all around, and it has resulted in nothing but problems with almost nobody saying they are a fan of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

pog boyfriend posted:

no, a big part of riots design philosophy is preventing burden of knowledge: akalis shroud working differently than every other bit of invis in the game is something that players are required to learn to play around. there is also no indication why that it works that way, which is frustrating for new players to learn.

establishing conventions just to break them is something that needs to be done extremely delicately, and riot did not come even close to pulling it off. the functionality is so broken that her power budget is way out of balance and thus the character as a whole is a balance nightmare. and then, what does she get? it adds nothing to the game to make her immune to true sight. it makes her less interesting to play against, actually, and removes decision making from akali.

it is just really poorly designed all around, and it has resulted in nothing but problems with almost nobody saying they are a fan of it.

I give it a 2/10 for not including the term anti-fun.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Shortest Path posted:

I give it a 2/10 for not including the term anti-fun.

1/10, no toxic counterplay.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

KirbyKhan posted:

His support could be pugmaw

Edit: gently caress that. Warwick support

it took me a while to parse what you were getting at. you are going to jail now.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Smol posted:

Basically every champion should bend the normal rules in some manner that makes you feel envious of their abilities while playing other champions.

why

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Lux Neeko is the most hilarious bot lane ever. 5 second roots that go through minions starting at level 1. We ended laning 7/0 and 5/0 against Ez and Karma.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I think the Zoe/Neeko lane I got to run once was some of the most fun I've ever had in league.

Just need two more S-ranks...

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
reasons to ban yasuo: quinn e

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

pog boyfriend posted:

no, a big part of riots design philosophy is preventing burden of knowledge

yes. of course.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

i mean sentinel uses a lot of words to explain a p simple concept

passive: kalista gains bonus ad near her partner, and when attacking the same enemy her partner attacks, does bonus %damage.

active: send out a lil patrol ghost who gives vision if it spots a champ. 2 charges.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

these are very easily teachable and consistent. get hit, circle appears. Wot the gently caress? get hit again nothing happens... phew. but then other guy hits you and you explode. pretty clear what is going on. similarly, nobody wants to be seen by ghosts so they will avoid them.

mushrooms, invisible things placed by players are seen by towers. akalis shroud does not work the same way. when you first see it, you see akali go invisible in lane usually as people do not tower dive at level 1. your instrincts as a gamer tell you “Ah, the invisibility mechanic.” however when akali does this under tower, it subverts all expectation. why does it work differently than every other invisibility ability? unclear.

this is bad because the player has been conditioned to see towers as a safe zone from the threat of invisible attacks, and taking that safe zone away is frustrating... but to no interesting end. the shroud does not create interactions, it removes them, and it does so by taking away one of the rules that the game has spent a long time(years, in some cases) teaching players.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont know why but I keep getting paired up with Egyptians in duoqueues

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
pog boyfriend occasionally trolls the thread (im good at spotting this) but in this case he is correct and posting well

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

For those with nerd goggles

https://twitter.com/beatsaber/status/1076040967692713985?s=21

Malah
May 18, 2015

Verviticus posted:

pog boyfriend occasionally trolls the thread (im good at spotting this) but in this case he is correct and posting well
I cannot believe you would impugn the good name of pog boyfriend with such libelous nonsense.

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

False enemy or true friend?
https://twitter.com/Rovient/status/1075849613058269184

These are probably the best QoL changes they could ever do for Kayn holy crap

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

It’s what makes each champion cool and unique.

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

Servaetes posted:

https://twitter.com/Rovient/status/1075849613058269184

These are probably the best QoL changes they could ever do for Kayn holy crap

these qol changes are weird because they should absolutely have been in from day 1 but then you look at the original intended design and realize that the kayn we have now was probably a compromise solution

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
With Daniel Z Klein fired there's no one fighting to keep his absolute most rear end-backwards design decisions in place like he did for Talyiah W for months.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

compromise that drat cheating ninja out of the game

Malah
May 18, 2015

What a lovely QoL change for Kayn!

Now nerf Rhaast.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

We got 1v5d by a rhaast once in aram, true story.
He has some sort of heal I think?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Ive never seen the furry that can upgrade items outside of ARAM. Is he bad?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tired Moritz posted:

Ive never seen the furry that can upgrade items outside of ARAM. Is he bad?

he's one of those ryze type champs that's either bad in solo queue or pick/ban in pro play

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003

Malah posted:

What a lovely QoL change for Kayn!

Now nerf Rhaast.

No, permission not granted. Rhaast owns.

Firebert posted:

With Daniel Z Klein fired there's no one fighting to keep his absolute most rear end-backwards design decisions in place like he did for Talyiah W for months.

Yeah like I don't understand how either of the two solutions weren't obvious enough as a way to fix him. As is he already is in a really awkward spot if you get into blue when your team needs red, and regular Kayn sucks so the sooner he transforms the better. As a dude that plays the poo poo out of Kayn I'm hyped as hell.

Slaapaav
Mar 3, 2006

by Azathoth
melee champions struggle with cracking 50% winrate outside of the jungle. pushing is way to important in soloq and ornn has bad push scaling.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
Oh, I've notice that splitpushing doesnt seem as good as before. They buffed minions?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Tired Moritz posted:

Oh, I've notice that splitpushing doesnt seem as good as before. They buffed minions?

They buffed them, but in the favor of splitpushers. Turret sieging on non-cannon waves is now much easier than it was before and waves progress up the lane faster.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Smol posted:

It’s what makes each champion cool and unique.

oh, well in game design 201 they teach you that was all wrong

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Karthus jungle is a real thing? Anyone able to explain?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Erdricks posted:

Isn't it mostly a funnelling thing?
Like you have someone else follow you around and help you and you soak up all the mid farm

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

Sexpansion posted:

akali is fine, there are about fifty champs that are worse. irelia and aatrox, for instance.

Akali isn't fine. She's an actively bad champion that will lose her team games but she's so poorly designed that people still ban her. We've seen this before with poppy, rengar, kassadin etc when there's something busted in the kit that needs to be fixed but Riot thinks it gives character and isn't willing to actually do it. Once they get their fingers out of their ears she'll get to be a real champ again.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
I tried that cass comet+luden's top thing that has a ridiculous win rate. First ranked game, second total, I had as much damage as the rest of team combined. Seems kind of broke.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Erdricks posted:

I haven't seen it in a long time but you'd get a hard leash on where you started then utilize the fact that Q does a lot more damage if it only hits one target. E can can melt group camps. The first clear would be painful but when it came to ganks a good wall would work wonders and since you're, you know, Karthus it wasn't like anybody could actually escape with a sliver of health.

It wasn't ideal exactly and was kind of hard to pull off but it was workable.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Karthus jungle has been a "thing" since practically the beginning of the game, my boy Azingy made it to pros as a Karthus jungle main

Malah
May 18, 2015

Karthus jungle is good for the same reasons he's good everywhere else else, he's just in a different spot on the map. Lean into his high damage to power farm and know what matchups he can win.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Karthus Jungle once made me lose a 50 dollars worth of skins bet when my teammate said not only we'd win, he would also not die during the match once picking Karthus against a Kha'zyx Jungle in TT and I said there was no way he would not die because I'd expect a trio of solo queue Plat players to achieve at least one kill against a Karthus Jungle and I was very, very, very wrong.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

Elentor posted:

Karthus Jungle once made me lose a 50 dollars worth of skins bet when my teammate said not only we'd win, he would also not die during the match once picking Karthus against a Kha'zyx Jungle in TT and I said there was no way he would not die because I'd expect a trio of solo queue Plat players to achieve at least one kill against a Karthus Jungle and I was very, very, very wrong.

Can you explain in greater detail about how that match played out?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Erdricks posted:

Can you explain in greater detail about how that match played out?

I was recording but I wasn't paying attention to him and I think replays were not a thing at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2UUFGQY3rSo

This is how the moment played out. He not only made a bet with me that he would not die, but he actively invaded the enemy jungle and solo killed the Kha'zyx.

A transcript of his reaction:

"Yes! YES! Dude, how the gently caress does a Kha'zyx gets counter-jungled by a Karthus man"

Our Viktor bot was a pug, and we had 3 AP. I was 100% sure that he would die at some point in the match. Instead we kinda snowballed from there, and if memory serves the enemy team just got completely destroyed. I think the actual bet was 10 skins, I don't remember. I used this story to get Riot to fill me with 1 RP to buy a skin when they asked for a funny story instead of the usual MS Paint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Servaetes
Sep 10, 2003