Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I will admit I saw the tattoos and just assumed celtic/scottish woad style warrior and to that end he was one of the last guys I identified.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I believe you can also identify him by his weapon, which is hanging up by his hammock.

Are we talking about the same guy? You can ID the Persian guy from his scimitar but I’m talking about the tattooed New Guinean. Never noticed a weapon for him.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

Elendil004 posted:

I will admit I saw the tattoos and just assumed celtic/scottish woad style warrior and to that end he was one of the last guys I identified.

Oh god this threw me off for almost the entire game too.

My last two were the purser and the surgeon's mate - I was sure I'd identified them once I started going through the sketches properly and I was completely convinced by
* the purser standing behind the surgeon in the picture
* the surgeon's mate dancing with passengers

Also spent most of the game thinking the gunner's assistant was the purser, and then the gunner. Eventually got it by peering through the hole right at the end of the carpenter's walk - they're the ones getting weapons out while everything goes to hell.

Meanwhile I got the Chinese topmen early by accident because I was filling in people's names as placeholders for 'is in this set' to get them crossed out in the list.

The Africa bit and noting Evans in the crew log made me feel like a genius.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

My last one is Hamadou Diom. For most of the game I thought the guy is one of the Chinese topmen for some reason.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

1234567890num posted:

My last one is Hamadou Diom. For most of the game I thought the guy is one of the Chinese topmen for some reason.

Same, though he wasn’t the last one for me. Took way too long to realize that guy wasn’t a Chinese topman.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Occultatio posted:

My friend and I (whom I used to do a bunch of LPs with like three/four years ago before I had a kid) got back together to do this game. If you're interested, check it out -- my goal is to help guide him through his playthrough in a way that both shows off the game to him/other newcomers while being vicariously enjoyable for me/other veterans:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNj1sLc0uOs

(that said, we're doing this mostly because it's fun for us rather than from a drive to create #content, so we're keeping it pretty casual/unpolished on the tech side. I will super not be offended if this isn't your cup of tea.)

I really like this video and will follow along when you post more on your channel.
I barely recognized you without your Coyote avatar.

Selane
May 19, 2006

xiw posted:

My last two were the purser and the surgeon's mate
The Purser I got super early. The entirety of my logic was "that guy looks like a loving pencil pusher." I saw some tie-wearing nerd standing on a lifeboat clutching a bunch of papers and figured I'd give it a shot, and ended up being right.

For me, my most shameful failure was not figuring out the helmsman until relatively late in the game. He literally has his hand on the helm in the drat drawing, I don't know how I missed that for so long.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Selane posted:

For me, my most shameful failure was not figuring out the helmsman until relatively late in the game. He literally has his hand on the helm in the drat drawing, I don't know how I missed that for so long.
He's one of only two people you can ID (meaning face unblurred) before ever even using the stopwatch once.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Selane posted:

Same, when I finally got that one I felt like a doofus.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Vib Rib posted:

He's one of only two people you can ID (meaning face unblurred) before ever even using the stopwatch once.

Who's the other?

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm guessing the artist.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

His face never actually unblurs though :v:

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
It's never blurred because it's never on the sketch.

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.

Vib Rib posted:

As long as we're airing gripes about how other people choose to play a singleplayer game: Out of curiosity I skimmed some LPs and I'm like five for five on people apparently not registering that the loud, obvious, scene-headlining shout of "Martin" is in fact a person's name.

Going to assume that I thought it was referring to a different character on account of she was yelling really really loudly, and the dude was right next to her.

Also, a friend started playing and I've made a spreadsheet to try to help people get into the game who aren't into the idea of note-taking by themselves. I think this is spoiler-free, but if anyone could offer feedback to make it easier to use or otherwise more intuitive, I'd be real grateful.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Occultatio posted:

My friend and I (whom I used to do a bunch of LPs with like three/four years ago before I had a kid) got back together to do this game.

Yesssss I loved your old LPs.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I just played through this. Identifying the first third or so of the crew was really cool, but i didn't like that a lot of it came down to guesswork towards the end. Unless i missed a mechanic i don't think you could complete the book without the voice of truth telling you every time you got 3 right. Also didn't like that you couldn't quickly replay memories that you already had from the book. it got really tedious having to go to where the body was when i wanted to check something.

In the end i googled 2 things. I had narrowed down the options enough that i would have got it eventually but i was sort of done with the game at that point so ended up looking it up just to finish it.

I looked up O'Hagan because i thought he was the guy who got dragged off the boat by a mermaid and i couldn't figure out how he died. I had it narrowed down between that guy and the guy who it actually was, and i switched back and forth, but i never got it right at a point that it would complete with 2 others so i switched back to the guy who got dragged off. It didn't make sense to me that Galligan would ask him if he could still row when he had a spear through his face.

Second was right at the end when i was trying to identify the guy who got dragged off the boat above and the people sitting in the foreground of the life at sea picture. I completely forgot that Nathan Peters was was the guy next to the russians so at some point i ended up switching him off to someone else. Then i had 1 russian left so assumed he must be the russian and i couldn't get it to stick. At the same time i thought Alexander Booth was the Sierra Leone guy, and thought Zungi Sathi was killed by Nathan Peters because it was a bald guy without a shirt and Nathan Peters fits that description and is in the next scene when the butcher dies. At that point though the 5 or so guys i had left were half guesswork so i don't feel too bad about looking it up to save me going in circles.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

CJ posted:

I just played through this. Identifying the first third or so of the crew was really cool, but i didn't like that a lot of it came down to guesswork towards the end. Unless i missed a mechanic i don't think you could complete the book without the voice of truth telling you every time you got 3 right. Also didn't like that you couldn't quickly replay memories that you already had from the book. it got really tedious having to go to where the body was when i wanted to check something.
O'Hagan you can get because the other two present are Russians, as established from the scene where they're playing cards in A Bitter Cold.
The "can you still row" part was because the person asking was distracted and didn't notice O'Hagan had been killed, thus the lack of response.

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

O'Hagan you can get because the other two present are Russians, as established from the scene where they're playing cards in A Bitter Cold.
The "can you still row" part was because the person asking was distracted and didn't notice O'Hagan had been killed, thus the lack of response.

I found O'Hagan because he's the only dead body in Chapter 4 who isn't Nichols, a Chinese, or a Formosan and obviously the steward wasn't speaking to himself and he's not going to ask a missing person to row the boat.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I had gotten about 35 or so Identified, and hit a wall.

Decided that knowing when portraits get unblurred would be a big help

Restarted the game and cruised through it pretty quick by being a lot more patient with each scene and taking in details and such as I went.

A+, GOTY, 10/10

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Sockser posted:

Decided that knowing when portraits get unblurred would be a big help
Yeah, that's a pretty good and subtle hint system that I didn't really appreciate its usefulness as much as I could have in my first play through.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
The sound design deserves every accolade it gets. I enjoyed the music, the voice acting and those crab/spider noises will haunt me for quite a while.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Finished all the fates this morning. I swear it took me probably 2-3 extra hours because I couldn’t automatically replay memories from the book. Some of the back and forth at the end for me to figure out the Chinese topmen and the specific way one rear end in a top hat died was tedious but also extremely satisfying to solve. I haven’t had a game consume me like this in years. So loving good

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Plot thing I'm a bit confused on:

Second mate muders the violinist, frames one of the Thai guards.
Second mate kidnaps the Thai folks and their treasure box and runs off on a dinghy with a shoestring crew.
?????
Crew gets attacked by mermaids, manages to bring back some extra shells, Second mate gets shot by second guardsman

So what the hell was the plan in that ???? section? Just run off to Africa with the stolen treasure box and ransom the Thai girl (I'm assuming she's royalty?)

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Sockser posted:

Plot thing I'm a bit confused on:

Second mate muders the violinist, frames one of the Thai guards.
Second mate kidnaps the Thai folks and their treasure box and runs off on a dinghy with a shoestring crew.
?????
Crew gets attacked by mermaids, manages to bring back some extra shells, Second mate gets shot by second guardsman

So what the hell was the plan in that ???? section? Just run off to Africa with the stolen treasure box and ransom the Thai girl (I'm assuming she's royalty?)

Basically yeah, if I remember right. I don't think he knew WHAT the treasure was, just that it was treasure.

Wooper
Oct 16, 2006

Champion draGoon horse slayer. Making Lancers weep for their horsies since 2011. Viva Dickbutt.
Formosa is Taiwan, and is not Thailand. Just fyi.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Also maybe they kidnapped the Formosans to force them to open the box- it seemed heavily locked in some of the scenes, and I don’t think it was open until the old man did so near the end of the lifeboat scene

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Wooper posted:

Formosa is Taiwan, and is not Thailand. Just fyi.

Whoops. My bad. I read it once when I was looking at a hint guide and guess I hosed the two in my head.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Whole plot, summarized and stolen from wikipedia:

When the Obra Dinn returns to its England port six years after going missing, the East India Company sends an insurance adjuster to determine what happened aboard the ship. Through the Memento Mortem and other clues, the adjuster works out the sequence of events since the ship's launch.

The Obra Dinn had launched with a number of passengers, including two royal Formosans and their guards carrying an exquisite treasure chest, which they claim help to repel dangers from the ocean. Initial calamity struck after launch, with one crew member killed by falling cargo, and two others taken by pneumonia. However, a small group of the crew saw the potential of stealing the Formosan chest, and as they neared the Canary Islands, they abducted the royal Formosans and the chest via rowboat. As they rowed away, mermaids attacked the boats and killed several of the group. The mermaid's attack was quelled when a Formosan pulled a shell out of the chest, repelling the mermaids, but not before he was killed. The remaining crew returned to the Obra Dinn, along with the bodies of mermaids they captured and shells that they held. As they were brought aboard, the mermaids came to life, attacking and killing more of the crew before they were subdued and locked in the lazarette.

The Obra Dinn circled around to return to England due to the number of tragedies, but in the midst of their return, a terrible storm struck, and crab-like creatures boarded the ship with the intent to reach the lazarette, killing more of the crew. Even after dispelling that assault, the ship was attacked by a kraken, killing more crewmen and the captain's wife. The captain killed two of the three mermaids in hopes to end the attack, took their shells and threw them overboard. Soon the kraken retreated, leaving only a skeleton crew on the ship. The surviving passengers and some of the crew decided to abandon the Obra Dinn and set off for the western coast of Africa, but not before negotiating with the surviving mermaid to help bring the Obra Dinn back to port in exchange with returning her shell and her freedom. The ship's surgeon, knowing that the East India Company will investigate the ship via the Memento Mortem, purposely killed a monkey in the lazarette and kept its paw before he left with the others. The surviving crew turned on the captain, wanting to reclaim the chest and shells for all their hardships, but he had long since threw them overboard. He killed the remaining crew, and then by his wife's body, committed suicide.

The insurance adjuster learns of all but the bargain from exploring the ship. On return to land, they mail the completed book to the specified address. A year later, the book is mailed back along with the monkey's paw, through which they use the Memento Mortem to complete the story of the Obra Dinn.

I really wish there was another game remotely like this, I've messed with some of ther Sherlock and Nancy Drew games, but now I'm just plucking away at a logic puzzles app on my phone :/

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Is her story like this? I’m looking for a similar game as well

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

nachos posted:

Is her story like this? I’m looking for a similar game as well
Yes it is, though it focuses primarily on phrases and words and it ultimately leaves the conclusions up to the player unlike Obra Dinn which is more upfront with what you need to conclude.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Just started this as a Xmas present, and the teist was very pleasant to experience blind. But just curious - at no point do you need to flat out guess who's portrait corresponds to which person, aye?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Samovar posted:

Just started this as a Xmas present, and the teist was very pleasant to experience blind. But just curious - at no point do you need to flat out guess who's portrait corresponds to which person, aye?

Well, there are some who you can only piece together by elimination, rather than finding evidence, but yeah, there's enough clues that you can figure everyone out without iterating through the list of remaining candidates. Even I just went and brute forced it once there were only two or three of them left though.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Samovar posted:

You make a lot of safe, Ockham's Razor-style assumptions though but you never need to make wild guesses.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
And you can figure it all out in one go, there's no trick like you have to finish the first time round without every correct fate to get the info from chapter 8?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Technically you can finish the game as soon as you see all the cutscenes, leave the ship with every fate wrong, and call it a day

But yes, you can get them all in one go

But take it slow
Knowing when the portraits unblur is a huuuuge loving help with deducing a lot of identities

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Finished it today, really good game.

I had an embarrassingly difficult time with the gunner's mate. I had a break of several days due to holidays, so when I returned I'd forgotten about the times he appeared handing out guns. That left me obsessing over his strangely fancy clothes. Did I miss something there? The bosun and gunner dress a lot more similarly. I eventually rediscovered his job when reviewing for the ship steward's COD.

I had no idea the Chinese topmen apparently all have different footwear? I ended up guessing all their names. I solved the Indian sailors by hammocks, but my only clever hammock moment was noticing the one tattoo.
I was also lazy about taking notes and didn't make a list of whose hammocks should be empty due to deaths in earlier chapters; that would have been handy.

Chapter 8 felt like a bit of a letdown. H.E. pulled a cool trick and revealed that he had the pocketwatch or at least knew it'd be used, but it didn't really recontextualize anything. I do wonder if he got sick from keeping rotting flesh in his pocket for however many months.
I guess I was hoping for something more revelatory, but maybe this way's better for a puzzle game. For me, opening the box in The Calling was the biggest wow moment.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mordecai posted:

Chapter 8 felt like a bit of a letdown. H.E. pulled a cool trick and revealed that he had the pocketwatch or at least knew it'd be used, but it didn't really recontextualize anything. I do wonder if he got sick from keeping rotting flesh in his pocket for however many months.
I guess I was hoping for something more revelatory, but maybe this way's better for a puzzle game. For me, opening the box in The Calling was the biggest wow moment.

Yeah I admit that I was expecting some wild poo poo like using the stopwatch on a fossil to go back millions of years. So much crazy stuff happens that the mystery of “how did the ghost ship make it back home” feels so small by comparison. In a way that sort of calm revelation is fitting and nice, it’s just that my expectations got ahead of me.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

just got started with this and I have a few user questions: when I use the watch to enter a memory/past scene, at some point the screen swirls to black and a little audio clip will play. Do I need to zoom in to a specific character to trigger this, is it on a timer, do I need to move into a specific place in a scene?

Is the weird swirly effect around the pocket watch explained? It starts showing up after solving the first/last "the end" chapter. I'm assuming it's plot related but I don't know what to think of it, do the bodies show up, is the player character corpse-blind at first ...

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

double nine posted:

just got started with this and I have a few user questions: when I use the watch to enter a memory/past scene, at some point the screen swirls to black and a little audio clip will play. Do I need to zoom in to a specific character to trigger this, is it on a timer, do I need to move into a specific place in a scene?

It's timed. The scene exit unlocks after the fade-out, but you don't actually have to leave until you're good and ready so don't rush.

quote:

Is the weird swirly effect around the pocket watch explained? It starts showing up after solving the first/last "the end" chapter. I'm assuming it's plot related but I don't know what to think of it, do the bodies show up, is the player character corpse-blind at first ...

Do you mean how it shakes and spits out a ghost-cloud that makes bodies show up? That's just so you can go back to deaths where the remains aren't actually present for whatever reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

cool thx