Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
:siren: You have until December 31st, 2018 to contribute to the 2018 D&D charity/blood drive for an avatar and/or gangtag! :siren:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Check this cute Avatar and gang tag I got for donating to the Terry Fox Foundation CanPol!

Marvel at it!

Makes you forget how poo poo our political climate is!

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

PT6A posted:

The economics of a pipeline are fairly simple to understand. The market is willing to bear a certain overall price for petroleum products, because there are many different sources for oil. This has to include the costs of transportation and refining, because at some point the product needs to be transported to where it's needed and turned into a useful form. If you reduce the cost of transport or refining, then the producers can take a bigger share of that money, which is what they are hoping the pipeline will do.

Consider everyone's favourite thing: drugs. Let's say some enterprising South American *disruptor* figures out a foolproof and cheap way to smuggle a poo poo-ton of cocaine into North America or Europe. They aren't going to say, "well, I'm going to take the same profit margin as everyone else," and end up with a very cheap product -- they're going to either sell at the same price as everyone else and pocket the difference, or undercut their competitors' prices just enough to gain a greater share of the market and make up those losses on volume. Either way, they're making a whole bunch more money.

If there’s a defined refinery capacity or some other bottleneck then more product actually would decrease the price. Increasing throughput of one step in the process doesn’t increase all the other steps as well.

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017

Helsing posted:

Me too honestly. Still one of the weirdest forum interactions I've ever had here. I would never have guessed how many people were willing to openly defend high level collaboration with Nazis.

Yeesh, calling out Freeland's relationship with her likely Nazi collaborating grandfather is one thing but likening her to "high level collaboration with Nazis" sounds like something straight out of the very obvious Russian smear campaigns because Canada sent some troops to the baltics.

You've brought this up like 10 times now in this thread, and people call you out each time because it's a weird fixation, not because its an invalid point. I feel like you're a broken record with this and you seem to drag it out every opportunity you get.

Like, you brought this up in relation to Jagmeet Singh's response to sikh extremism, and it took some really weird stretching for you to loop back yet again to this point

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 23, 2018

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
It's weirder to me that goons will dig up posts from 15 pages and ten days ago just to signal that they're more politically progressive, or something, not really sure what your game is here buddy.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Helsing is the Canadian Greenwald.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Rime posted:

It's weirder to me that goons will dig up posts from 15 pages and ten days ago just to signal that they're more politically progressive, or something, not really sure what your game is here buddy.

Not everyone reads the thread every single day dude

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Oysters Autobio posted:

Yeesh, calling out Freeland's relationship with her likely Nazi collaborating grandfather is one thing but likening her to "high level collaboration with Nazis" sounds like something straight out of the very obvious Russian smear campaigns because Canada sent some troops to the baltics.

You've brought this up like 10 times now in this thread, and people call you out each time because it's a weird fixation, not because its an invalid point. I feel like you're a broken record with this and you seem to drag it out every opportunity you get.

Like, you brought this up in relation to Jagmeet Singh's response to sikh extremism, and it took some really weird stretching for you to loop back yet again to this point

The high level collaborator I was referring to was her grandfather, who you bizarrely defend here by downplaying the 100% probability that he worked with the Nazis. His own relatives, who have seen his archived newspaper, have confirmed that he collaborated. This isn't speculative. Nor is it ambiguous whether Freeland knew what he had done prior to all those glowing interviews where she talked up how important he was to her and how his particular vision of an independent Ukraine had inspired her.

You're right though, the fact our foreign minister is on the record saying her greatest political influence was a high level Nazi collaborator is definitely one of those stories that you comment on once and then forget about. How passe to be outraged or to want some actual political consequences for someone saying their biggest political influence was an ethno-nationalist who actively helped the Nazis cleanse the Jewish population of Eastern Europe.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I'm absolutely amazed at how many people are willing to swallow the idea that increasing our output of oil to China twenty-fold will magically make the price go up.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
I feel like some random newspaper editor isn't a 'high level collaborator' but you do you Helsing

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Let me know when you see Freeland wearing her Daughters of Odin jacket.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

leftist heap posted:

I'm absolutely amazed at how many people are willing to swallow the idea that increasing our output of oil to China twenty-fold will magically make the price go up.

Worked for luxury condos.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

You understand that under the program of "Aryanization" the Nazis literally gave Chomiak his newspaper to run after stealing the equipment from somebody they murdered, right? And under his editorial hand the paper ran recruitment advertisements for the SS and praised the ethnic cleansing of Jews.

If receiving a printing press from the Nazis and then organizing a team of writers and using that printing press to help the Nazis recruit more soldiers while covering up and apologizing for their crimes against humanity does not count as collaboration then what exactly does in your mind?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Yes, let's not over sell the import of our Minister of Foreign Affairs idolizing a Nazi collaborator.

Probably not really a big deal TBH

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Helsing posted:

Nor is it ambiguous whether Freeland knew what he had done prior to all those glowing interviews where she talked up how important he was to her and how his particular vision of an independent Ukraine had inspired her.

You're right though, the fact our foreign minister is on the record saying her greatest political influence was a high level Nazi collaborator is definitely one of those stories that you comment on once and then forget about.

My googling is failing me a bit on my phone. Do you have any links handy to those interviews where she discusses her grandfather's influence on her?

My impression before reading this was that the Russians highlighted this story when Freeland became a minister, and that Freeland responded poorly by implying it was fake news. In political terms I am not surprised she obfuscated the story.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

infernal machines posted:

Yes, let's not over sell the import of our Minister of Foreign Affairs idolizing a Nazi collaborator.

Probably not really a big deal TBH

https://twitter.com/cafreeland/status/768200606695776256?lang=en

Nothing gross about this, no siree, you'd have to be some kind of weirdo to be offended by this.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I'm more revolted (but not surprised) by Freeland's overt embrace of the interests of the plutocratic class after literally writing a book that warned of the increasing divide between their reality of the world and the one that most people experience.

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

cowofwar posted:

I didn’t read this but I’m unsure as to why I should not be cynical when proportional representation failed for the third time. Canadians are loving garbage and I don’t benefit from the change so why I should I keep trying to get idiots to not vote against their self interest?

Proportional representation failed because of bad leadership, starting with the decision to hold a referendum in the first place.

Quebec is just going to get to have proportional representation because they're legislature will pass it in a bill, turns out we could have just done that.

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Powershift posted:

Worked for luxury condos.

Good point

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

https://twitter.com/cafreeland/status/768200606695776256?lang=en

Nothing gross about this, no siree, you'd have to be some kind of weirdo to be offended by this.

A person having fond memories of their families even if their families were horrible people is pretty normal.

To be so obsessed with a 2.5 year old milquetoast tweet that you constantly bring it up is pretty weird, yeah

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Chrystia Freeland posted:

I'm also a proud member of the Ukrainian-Canadian community. My maternal grandparents fled western Ukraine after Hitler and Stalin signed their non-aggression pact in 1939. They never dared to go back, but they stayed in close touch with their brothers and sisters and their families, who remained behind. For the rest of my grandparents' lives, they saw themselves as political exiles with a responsibility to keep alive the idea of an independent Ukraine, which had last existed, briefly, during and after the chaos of the 1917 Russian Revolution. That dream persisted into the next generation, and in some cases the generation after that.

http://csweb.brookings.edu/content/research/essays/2015/myukraine.html

:thunk:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Why are people in this thread acting like nobody should care about this, what the actual gently caress

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Because a person having fond memories of their family is normal

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

A person having fond memories of their families even if their families were horrible people is pretty normal.

To be so obsessed with a 2.5 year old milquetoast tweet that you constantly bring it up is pretty weird, yeah

We're talking about the holocaust, gently caress you.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Tighclops posted:

Why are people in this thread acting like nobody should care about this, what the actual gently caress

Because it's extremely normal to repeatedly talk about how inspirational your Nazi collaborating family members were and how they deeply influenced your current political views

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Tsyni posted:

My googling is failing me a bit on my phone. Do you have any links handy to those interviews where she discusses her grandfather's influence on her?

My impression before reading this was that the Russians highlighted this story when Freeland became a minister, and that Freeland responded poorly by implying it was fake news. In political terms I am not surprised she obfuscated the story.

Here's an article in the Globe establishing that Freeland was well aware of her grandfather's actions during the War

The Globe and Mail posted:

Ms. Freeland, who has paid tribute to her maternal grandparents in articles and books, helped edit a scholarly article in the Journal of Ukrainian Studies in 1996 that revealed her grandfather, Michael Chomiak, was a Nazi propagandist for Krakivski Visti (Krakow News).

Krakivski Visti was set up in 1940 by the German army and supervised by German intelligence officer Emil Gassert. Its printing presses and offices were confiscated by the Germans from a Jewish publisher, who was later murdered at the Belzec concentration camp.

The article titled “Kravivski Visti and the Jews, 1943: A contribution of Ukrainian Jewish Relations during the Second World War” was written by Ms. Freeland’s uncle, John-Paul Himka, now professor emeritus at the University of Alberta.

In the foreword to the article, Prof. Himka credits Ms. Freeland for “pointing out problems and clarifications.” Ms. Freeland has never acknowledged that her grandfather was a Nazi collaborator and suggested on Monday that the allegation was part of a Russian disinformation campaign.

In 1996, Prof. Himka wrote about Mr. Chomiak’s work for Kravivski Visti, a Ukrainian-language newspaper based in Krakow that often published anti-Jewish diatribes including “certain passages in some of the articles that expressed approval of what the Nazis were doing to the Jews.”

Here's an article on Freeland from before the revelations about his Nazi past were widely known. She characterizes her grandfather as a "refugee" and conveniently avoids talking about what he was actually doing during the war.

The Toronto Star posted:

‘Magical’ childhood

Memories from Alberta’s Peace River country make Freeland’s heart soar.

“I had a wonderful childhood,” she says, recalling the place where she was born. “It was magical.”

Alberta’s fertile northern frontier, 500 kilometres north of Edmonton, instilled love to last a lifetime.

“I remember coming home from working in the fields with my grandfather one day in the summer and he stopped and said to me: ‘You know, what I love most about the farm is that every field has a different view and every one is beautiful.’

“He loved the Peace River so much,” she says of John Wilbur Freeland. His father was John, so he became Wilbur — wartime flyer, rodeo bronc rider, boxer under the name “Pretty Boy Freeland,” lawyer and farmer.

The Toronto Star posted:

But politics was bred in her bones. Both parents were lawyers, having studied law at the University of Alberta. Her father, Donald, ran for the provincial Liberals under Nick Taylor, a move his daughter calls a “suicide mission” in Alberta, and her late mother, Halyna Chomiak Freeland, ran unsuccessfully for the New Democrats. (A great-uncle, Ged Baldwin, was a crusading “Red Tory” MP.)

“I remember being surrounded by politics from the moment I was born,” she says.

Through her mother’s parents, Michael Chomiak and Alexandra Loban Chomiak, Freeland is rooted in the immigrant experience, the other major influence on her life.

The Chomiaks saw themselves as political refugees from Soviet-occupied Ukraine, and loved Canada.

“All my grandparents loved Canada but my Ukrainian grandfather was the most passionate,” says Freeland, who was born Christina Alexandra and adopted the name’s Ukrainian form. “I remember his kids once saying something mildly critical of Canada. He pounded his fist on the table and said he’d lived in six countries and Canada was the best in the world.”

Michael Chomiak was a lawyer and journalist before the Second World War, but “they knew the Soviets would invade western Ukraine (and) fled … and, like a lot of Ukrainians, ended up after the war in a displaced persons camp in Germany where my mother was born.”

Along the way Michael and Alexandra had six children, the last two born in Canada. They lived in poverty after they arrived; he couldn’t practise or go to law school and eventually worked for years as a lab assistant.

“(Their experience) had a very big effect on me,” Freeland says. “They had heated political discussions … They were also committed to the idea, like most in the (Ukrainian) diaspora, that Ukraine would one day be independent and that the community had a responsibility to the country they had been forced to flee … to keep that flame alive.”

The Toronto Star posted:

Freeland was stunned by a speech by U.S. president George H.W. Bush in Kyiv in August 1991, urging independence-minded Ukrainians to work with the hated Soviet Union — which would implode four months later. “It was a moment of cognitive dissonance for me. My Ukrainian grandparents had a better understanding of what was going on.”

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Because a person having fond memories of their family is normal

Indeed, you can love your Nazi collaborating grandfather, but you might have the decency to keep quiet about how swell a guy he was.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

weird rear end delusions of sacred ancestral homelands, which your actual ancestors were driven from for being nazi shitheads, can lead to spending billions of nato fun-bucks propping up today nazis in a frozen shithole no one actually cares about.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If anyone here doesn't know what "Black Ribbon Day" is, go look it up and realize how hosed up it is to post a tweet celebrating Nazi collaborators as your way of commemorating that day, even if they were your beloved family members.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Helsing posted:

We're talking about the holocaust, gently caress you.

No, we're taking about Chrystia Freeland, born in 1968, 23 years after the holocaust.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
The first reply to that tweet is Ben Norton making GBS threads on her and laying out why her grandpa was a Nazi collaborator lmao idk who that lady is or what she does but she's hosed up if she is going to bat for the old man.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

He's got a point, Mrs. Freeland has probably never personally committed a holocaust.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

A Typical Goon posted:

No, we're taking about Chrystia Freeland, born in 1968, 23 years after the holocaust.

We're talking about Chrystia Freeland commemorating a Nazi collaborator on a day specifically set aside for remembering the holocaust. I'm honestly baffled by why you are defending this. Nobody is saying she can't fondly have private memories of her grandfather and his farm but sorry when she is specifically praising his influence on her politics and lying about his past to make him seem like a victim when he was actually a collaborator then that's really not OK and the idea it's somehow weird that I'm seriously offended by this and openly saying so is one of the most bizarre reactions I've ever seen someone have on these forums.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
What would you have done differently if you were in Chrystia's grandpa's jackboots?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

if you're in the dirt, shut the gently caress up

not hard.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Postess with the Mostest posted:

What would you have done differently if you were in Chrystia's grandpa's jackboots?

who amongst us has not made public apologia and praise for our Nazi collaborator grandparents?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

The first reply to that tweet is Ben Norton making GBS threads on her and laying out why her grandpa was a Nazi collaborator lmao idk who that lady is or what she does but she's hosed up if she is going to bat for the old man.

She is our trade minister and spent the whole summer hanging out in your country negotiating NAFTA USMCA.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Furnaceface posted:

She is our trade minister and spent the whole summer hanging out in your country negotiating NAFTA USMCA.

Ew, gross. Fire your trade minister, OP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I don't think François-Philippe Champagne has committed any particular fireable offence (unless maybe terminal blandness is fireable?)