Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilgm
Dec 31, 2014
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/12/21/money-talks/

Two new Investigators- Joe Diamond, the P.I. Seeker and Preston Fairmont, the millionaire Rogue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FishFood
Apr 1, 2012

Now with brine shrimp!
A stupid expensive Preston deck sounds really fun. Stat line is yikes, but I think there are some fun interactions there. Pairing him with Dark Horse sounds rad, as his inheritance wouldn't count toward his pool I'm pretty sure.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

FishFood posted:

A stupid expensive Preston deck sounds really fun. Stat line is yikes, but I think there are some fun interactions there. Pairing him with Dark Horse sounds rad, as his inheritance wouldn't count toward his pool I'm pretty sure.

It shouldn't.

Both those investigators look like they could be a lot of fun to play.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman

FishFood posted:

While you can use DH with him, I'm skeptical that it's a good idea. Capping his income to 4r/turn sounds good, but you also need to reach a testing strength at 7(on hard, 6 on standard) somehow - and you want to be able to run multiple of these tests on a single turn.

I think he'll be very good with Ys, since he'll probably play a lot of allies and will be able to protect it well.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Joe Diamond seems to have the potential to be really powerful. Maybe not to the level of Rex, but if he gets guardian 0-2 access and full seeker he'll basically be able to handle everything. Guardian 0-2 will give him upgraded Beat Cop, Vicious blow, and Machete. He'll even be able to make use of Scientific Theory for a fighting boost. In terms of combat all he really loses is access to some of the higher weapons, but I'm not sure any of those are better than Timeworn Brand anyways. His insight deck will give him a lot of free access to either testless clues or card draw/selection.

Preston should be interesting. I think he'll actually end up being really good during the investigator phase-he kinda reminds me of Ashcan Pete where he's got junk stats but he'll be able to do investigating or fighting really well (using money/streetwise/fire axe instead of a dog). Lola will also be a great upgrade for him since buying a clue a turn won't be any problem. The fact that he's gaining 5 resources a turn guaranteed will also probably open up some card choices that weren't really viable otherwise. Dealing with treacheries could be a problem though.

I also like that while the side effects seem bad from both the weaknesses aren't all that hard to deal with I think. After playing Mihn in our last campaign an investigator not having a crippling weakness is something I really appreciate.

Also both of the previewed cards seem decent. Fingerprint kit is expensive, but the effect is obviously great (and will combine with a magnifying glass). Money Talks is very flavorful and will be good for some people. If you're not running Dark Horse I think it would be a great defensive option for Preston.

Zerf posted:

While you can use DH with him, I'm skeptical that it's a good idea. Capping his income to 4r/turn sounds good, but you also need to reach a testing strength at 7(on hard, 6 on standard) somehow - and you want to be able to run multiple of these tests on a single turn.

I think he'll be very good with Ys, since he'll probably play a lot of allies and will be able to protect it well.

Ehh, DH seems solid with Preston. Streetwise/Fire Axe gives a lot of boosting ability, and you'll also have access to all the low-stat helper cards as well. Although it may not end up being optimal, will take some messing around with.

And Ys is stupidly broken and basically every investigator with an accessory slot is good with it.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Dec 22, 2018

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Having played a few games using the Key of Ys, yeah, wow. Before I thought the main limiting factor on it was it eventually overloading, but then I looked something up and discovered that it only takes horror that would be placed on your investigator specifically, not a more nebulous "you" that includes all your other assets too. So, shunting horror off onto allies (Peter Sylvestre in particular if you have him) means that unless you get a really big dose of horror all at once, you can just keep it at 3 indefinitely and get +3 to everything basically forever. Which is absurd.

It'd be kind of hilarious if it overloaded on someone who had Beyond the Veil (the card that inflicts 10 damage on you if your deck runs out) out, triggered that with the mega-mill it inflicts on you for losing it, and thus indirectly killed them, though.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Also of note is that direct horror doesn't go on it. It's basically the only card we don't play with as it trivializes everything less than the hardest difficulty. The card partially mitigates it's own drawback as well since once you've gotten +3 willpower you're gonna be making a lot more of the tests that would bother you (or dodge/kill enemies that would inflict horror)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

It's an insanely powerful card but I have a really hard time thinking anything investigator-side is broken or OP in a game like this. Good enough that it shrinks the 'meta', sure, but this is a co-op card game to begin with and there's nothing stopping you from running a fun theme deck or something that isn't super min-maxed. I mean, I've had games where the Encounter Deck basically killed our group by turn two with nothing we could particularly do about it, so I say grab whatever advantages are available.

I really want to try Preston but I think someone in my main group has already claimed him :(

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Ys is entirely broken and trivializes things on all but the highest difficulty. Just because you don't have to use it doesn't mean the card isn't game warping. I ran it with Ashcan in one of our Carcosa playthroughs, and we didn't even bother finishing the last scenario because we decided it was too trivial to win. I have a feeling that it's power is why they were so conservative with Calvin.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

Ys is entirely broken and trivializes things on all but the highest difficulty. Just because you don't have to use it doesn't mean the card isn't game warping. I ran it with Ashcan in one of our Carcosa playthroughs, and we didn't even bother finishing the last scenario because we decided it was too trivial to win. I have a feeling that it's power is why they were so conservative with Calvin.

As someone playing as Calvin right now let me tell you he is hilarious to play.

I also have a key in that deck but I haven't managed to get it in play yet. Just played my first scenario with it today and it got milled on the first turn by a hidden location effect :rip:

e: The Deck, if anyone is curious. Contains spoilers for The Forgotten Age. I've got 6xp that I'm figuring out what to do with before our next session as well.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 23, 2018

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Joe D seems like what I wanted Roland to be. Really excited to play the PI

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Quick rules question I couldn't find the answer to after scrolling through the rules. In City of Archives, my friend playing Sefina was one point of horror away from being defeated and he drew her weakness, Stars of Hyades as the tenth card in his hand, triggering the act objective which ended the scenario.

From what I can tell, drawing weaknesses adds them to your hand first, then they resolve, so since the objective stated that it advanced 'immediately' we played it so that it interrupted the resolution and didn't go off. Is that right?

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
Looking over the rules for Weaknesses, Revelation, and In and Out of Play, I believe you played it correctly. The weakness would be drawn into your hand and count as Out of Play in your hand. You would then need to resolve the Revelation effect after it is drawn, but before it enters play, meaning it would enter your hand first (an Out of Play area).

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Okay I'm interested in possibly playing this. What kit do I need off Amazon? I see a few plus various editions?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ineffiable posted:

Okay I'm interested in possibly playing this. What kit do I need off Amazon? I see a few plus various editions?

This should do it. It's the base set that you pretty much can't play the game without, and it also has a short introductory campaign.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
One core set minimum, two if you want a playset of all the non-neutral cards in it (or to play with more than two players; stretching one core set between four people won't work because, even setting aside how crappy some of the decks would be, there literally isn't enough cards for it in one core set), and then after that, well. To break things down, the other four types of product they have are:

Deluxe expansions: These include new investigators and a lot of player cards, and the first two scenarios (missions or quests or whatever) in a new campaign for that "cycle", the campaign sharing the name of its expansion. In order of release, there's The Dunwich Legacy, The Path to Carcosa, and The Forgotten Age, and the next one, The Circle Undone, should be released sometime next year I think.

Mythos packs: Packs of sixty cards, about half new player cards and half cards for a new scenario for their cycle. Each cycle has six of these packs, for a total of eight scenarios per campaign.

Standalone scenarios: Exactly what it sounds like. I think these only have cards for the scenario, no new player cards that aren't directly related to the scenario.

"Return to..." sets: Expansions for existing campaigns, that add new twists and possibilities and stuff to them and give them replay value. They also come with new player cards. And a box for holding all your cards. Currently there's only one, Return to the Night of the Zealot, which alters the core campaign, but there's going to be one for The Dunwich Legacy soon.

As far as what you need or should get, again, one core set is the minimum, and a good starting point since, while the deckbuilding options are limited, it will still let you experience the game. From there, I'd probably go for deluxe expansions and mythos packs, and a second core set if/when you want a second copy of the important cards from it, or right away if you want to play with more than two people; it doesn't give you new stuff necessarily, so personally I'd put it behind getting your first expansion and mythos packs if you aren't playing with three or four people, but others may disagree. If you don't have particular cards you want, I'd recommend starting with The Dunwich Legacy and getting its mythos packs in scenario order, since it's a simpler campaign and has more straightforward characters. Standalone scenarios can just be picked up when you want to play those scenarios, since that's all they are, and the "Return to" stuff isn't needed right away either.

A note, except for the core set, each pack and expansion with player cards will have two of each, which is the maximum a deck can have, with no randomness, so you only need one of each unless multiple players want those cards. In which case I personally say you should proxy because while getting a second core set is kind of wasteful but gets you a lot of cards you'll still use, buying sixty+ cards when you want two or four of them is nonsense.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 27, 2018

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.
I should add (as someone who also just got into this game) that there's a lot of really good cards in the core set that they only give you one of. If you're looking through your deck going "man I wish I had another [x]", just proxy it for the time being (easier if you sleeve your cards).

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....
Also, if you were hoping to pick a campaign to do, hopefully not too spoiler:
The Dunwich Legacy - Another reasonably generic lovecraftian adventure like the base set, New England based
The Path to Carcosa - The King in Yellow, travel to europe
The Forgotten Age - Aztec Snake god adventures in mexico
The Circle Undone - not as much details, but hidden cult operating in the shadows, New England based

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That's a lot of information to process. I'm mostly looking to play this with my partner (it's not to have cooperative style games in between competitive 1vs1 stuff) so I guess I'm looking at deluxe expansions after that if we like the core set.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, basically. If it's just you and one other person, my suggested progression would be one core set to start, then if you like it the Dunwich Legacy and its mythos packs, and go from there. If you're a big spender you can pick up several of the mythos packs at once, since, while the scenarios should obviously be played in order, the player cards in them (you'll get at least two for every class per pack) can be useful from the start of a campaign or early on in it.

Again, you only need one copy of any particular product except maybe the core set, which you can make a judgment call on once you've played the game enough to decide if having that second set of its cards is worth the money for you.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I'm not sure Dunwich is a great intro campaign, it's got some cool ideas interspersed with a couple kind of boring scenarios, but I feel the boring ones are sort of frontloaded with Essex County Express (a scenario with kinda infamous swinginess issues) for a kicker. Museum is super great and thematic and I'm glad I kept going with the rest of the campaign but the two scenarios in the Dunwich deluxe box itself left me kind of cold.

Carcosa, on the other hand - I'm only a couple in right now but I'm loving it.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Dunwich is fine as a follow up to the intro campaign I think. I actually like how it eases you into stranger types of scenarios. I actually think I prefer it to Carcosa (still not sure where Forgotten Age would fit in, there's a lot going on in that one and I'm still processing it).

One thing though of note is that there's a Return to Dunwich campaign enhancement coming soon (supposedly Jan 10, according to a lot of retailers) that will likely upgrade some things. I know one card that is supposed to make some things a lot less random is supposed to be changed (alternate ancient evils, thank goodness ) and other improvements, so that may be something to take into consideration.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
The main reason I think Dunwich is a good place to start is the player cards, really. The investigators are a lot simpler than the weird ones you get in Carcosa and especially Forgotten Age, who are also really good at the things they're supposed to do without needing a ton of experience (Zoey's a murder machine, Rex gathers clues like a madman, Pete is, well, Pete, etc.), and it has things like Charisma, Rite of Seeking, the different class's stat-increasing permanents and upgraded skill cards like Deduction (2), both upgraded Shrivelings, and so on. Just a whole lot of good stuff that basically everyone of their particular class will want.

Not that I dislike the campaign, mind; I enjoyed it quite a bit, even if there were a few things I wasn't so fond of. It wasn't too difficult either, outside of the Blood on the Altar run my friend and I did that had an amazingly poor random setup and a ton of bad luck for my friend, leading to us eventually doing it over. Somehow the Essex County Express was never any trouble, solo or in the duo run, though.

Zerf
Dec 17, 2004

I miss you, sandman
As others have said, Dunwich is a good campaign to run after the core one. The player cards are excellent, and the campaign is easy from a complexity standpoint. I agree that Carcosa is a better and more engaging story, but I also think Carcosa requires more from the players.

It sort of depends on how one wants to approach the packs - if I would only play one campaign, I'd go with Carcosa. But if were to play multiple ones, I'd start with Dunwich, just to get the vanilla one done, so to speak.

Malt
Jan 5, 2013
Wife and I played the starter set and loved it enough that we picked up Dunwich and it's mythos along with the starter set of Carcosa and Forgotten Age.

Any reason, other than pacing it out, to not go ahead and open them to get the player cards and investigators out of each set to use?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The only reason would be looking at the scenarios you may get the itch to buy the rest too. Otherwise unless you want to make things harder there's no real reason to not use them. The campaigns will be somewhat easier with the additional player card options, but I don't think necessarily a huge amount. I think they've done a pretty good job keepign too much pure power creep away, it's more there's different playstyle/options that work as sidegrades.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

My friends and I like to self impose a “only get access to the cards as you move through the campaign the first time” for the magic of deck building experience, but if you have more fun with everything from the get go rip that poo poo open!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Malt posted:

Wife and I played the starter set and loved it enough that we picked up Dunwich and it's mythos along with the starter set of Carcosa and Forgotten Age.

Any reason, other than pacing it out, to not go ahead and open them to get the player cards and investigators out of each set to use?

Nah. I mean, you might overwhelm yourself, but, like, just don't spoil yourself on the scenario side of things. Heck, there are some Seeker cards in every cycle, Strange Solution in the Dunwich Legacy for example, that have multiple forms where the Seeker has to, in a scenario, use the base card to identify or translate this weird item they have, which then makes a note in their campaign notes and enables them to purchase the upgraded (and actually useful) versions. The base forms are in the deluxe expansion of a cycle, and I think the identified ones come in the last mythos pack of each cycle, so not using any cards from packs you haven't reached the scenario for means your Seeker might be lugging some useless crap around for a long time.

Also, the packs tend to have one level 0 and one level 1+ card per class, and obviously you want to put level 0 cards in your deck at the start of a campaign rather than paying EXP for them later generally.

Personally, the way I'd go for it, I think, is a middle ground between "open it all" and Quidthulhu's way; as you go through Dunwich the first time, get access to all the cards from its cycle plus the core set, then likewise for Carcosa use its cards and the Dunwich and core ones, etc. If the deluxe expansion had all the level 0 cards and the mythos packs only had level 1-5 stuff (and the cards the Seeker has to investigate had their upgrades come sooner than the very last pack) then I'd probably do it the way Quidthulhu does too, because I like the idea, but having to pay EXP for level 0 cards and such gets to me.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The only thing I'd say about playing the cards only when you hit the scenario is that there's really no relationship between the actual scenarios and the cards in the pack typically. If there was something thematically tying them in I could see it, but with no relationship it doesn't make much sense to me. On top of the fact that if you go back to replay a campaign, it's gonna be annoying to have to look up which cards actually match what.

But again, whatever works for your group is fine. It's a great game regardless.

alansmithee fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Jan 1, 2019

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Oh, yeah, this is specifically a "first time through" thing I think, not an every time one.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I’m gonna do return to the night if the zealot for the first time, solo with two investigators.

I’ve got two cores + dunwich legacy, just the box. Ideas for cool combinations of investigators?

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

God drat. :psyduck: This is a huge (seriously, don't read this) spoiler for a couple neat things in the Carcosa campaign that we didn't realize until after the scenario in question, but:

In Black Stars Rise, , our group ended up needing to go to the water for the portal. I'm not sure how it goes for the sky, but for the water you need to be below a certain sanity threshold to investigate and finish the scenario. The location card has the option to click for horror, so you can overcome this restriction at the end of the scenario. We were really, really screwed for time, to the point where an investigator had to sacrifice themselves with Dynamite to buy us another couple of Doom clicks on the final agenda, and those extra turns clicking for horror really brought us down to the line.

Except, as someone pointed out after the scenario ended....we had chosen the Belief route in The Unspeakable Oath. We could have just said....That Name a few times, grabbed the clues, and left.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

food court bailiff posted:

God drat. :psyduck: This is a huge (seriously, don't read this) spoiler for a couple neat things in the Carcosa campaign that we didn't realize until after the scenario in question, but:

In Black Stars Rise,

My group did. You can only cluefind from the tower if you have no cards in hand. Between Daisy running glyphs and Sephina running rite of seeking we picked it clean pretty fast while our other two investigators tossed cards to us if we needed and fought things.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Also: forgotten age update: it does indeed get less brutal. My group is going down the trust Ichtaca path.

Also Calvin has some hilariously broken cards available to him and I am having a blast playing as him, though I am a tiny bit worried that my weakness will leave me in super rough shape by the finale.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Forgotten Age kinda has an inverse bell curve thing going on with difficulty. Like the early and late scenarios seem kinda rough, but the middle aren't nearly as bad imo.

Also glad you're enjoying Calvin. We've had a couple people try him and just hated it, he's basically useless. There's some support cards but imo they seem to make him become "passable" rather than "good". What's your group if you don't mind me asking?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

alansmithee posted:

Forgotten Age kinda has an inverse bell curve thing going on with difficulty. Like the early and late scenarios seem kinda rough, but the middle aren't nearly as bad imo.

Also glad you're enjoying Calvin. We've had a couple people try him and just hated it, he's basically useless. There's some support cards but imo they seem to make him become "passable" rather than "good". What's your group if you don't mind me asking?

Leo, Minh, and Akachi

You have to play really aggressive to get the most out of Calvin. I have two of each trauma currently, which helps. Most people are "trained" to avoid damage and sanity loss when possible but with Calvin you have to skirt the edge.

Here's my deck (contains Forgotten Age spoilers): https://arkhamdb.com/decklist/view/8928/calvin-wright-in-the-jungle-3.0

The cards with 4 skill icons that require you to be at three or fewer remaining sanity and the cards that key off your base skill value are the keys to unlocking Calvin's power. While you get there you have the standard survivor cards that let you succeed by failing. "Let me handle this" is great for taking a treachery from someone that can cause damage or horror, either you succeed and everyone is happy or you fail and you power up a bit.

Not sure what I want to do with my exp at the moment (I have 7), debating between adding another Key (I haven't had a chance to play it yet), getting some more resource generation (I rarely have a stockpile of it), or buying Charisma so I can get more soak from allies (would also probably add Aquinnah or Peter to the deck somehow if I did this). Red Gloved Man is also an interesting possibility because he would give me +6 to two skills for a turn, and I could call him back for another turn with A chance encounter.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
As someone looking to start buying scenarios to expand the core box. What's the best storage solution for this? I want to actually keep this poo poo organized

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Jarvisi posted:

As someone looking to start buying scenarios to expand the core box. What's the best storage solution for this? I want to actually keep this poo poo organized

Scenario cards:

Return to Night of Zealot box + a quarter inch bit of foam along the side to make them fit, as the box is a little wide. Then print out custom horizontal dividers for stuff past night of the zealot.

Investigator cards:

Binders, sorted by class, then type of card, then release

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
I use a shoebox card organizer (two-row, vertical card storage) for the scenario cards, with these dividers, printed out to taste, and keep the scenario stuff pretty well sorted. Typically by cycle, so Core box/Return scenarios, Core/Return encounter sets, Dunwich scenarios, Dunwich encounter sets, etc. I don't think the game ever asks you to pull cycle-specific encounter sets outside of the core box for any other cycle's scenarios, so keeping cycles together seems to make the most sense.

My investigator cards are sorted in individual binders by class and neutral/weakness, then by XP (0xp cards/1-5 XP cards, nothing more granular), then by release/collector number. It makes it easy to add cards and pages to binders without having to re-sort anything. I do my deckbuilding on ArkhamDB, so finding cards after a deck is built is quick and easy, as is returning them to the binder.

Baron Fuzzlewhack fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 9, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I use a big ol' Arkhive longbox for player cards and cheap plastic Deckmaster deckboxes for encounter sets. I think I'm going to move to two Arkhives for player cards and keep one just full of level 0s and the other full of upgrades, sorted by class and then alphabetically.