Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

Xanderkish posted:

Alright! I'm planning to do an LP for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, which I love. I haven't gotten the OP set up yet, but I do have the body for the first episode (issue, if we're gonna get all comic book-y). How does it look?

I like the comic book aesthetic choice. I could see it being a bit polarizing, but it works for me, and I think you could do some really cool things with it. Especially if you get more experimental later.

My only complaint would be that some of the screens are a bit small and tough to read, namely the one towards the end with Toad spitting. I think you could afford to bump them up in size a bit, if they contain text.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Xanderkish posted:

Alright! I'm planning to do an LP for Telltale's The Wolf Among Us, which I love. I haven't gotten the OP set up yet, but I do have the body for the first episode (issue, if we're gonna get all comic book-y). How does it look?
For some reason, you're using Toad to give a bit of meta-commentary towards the end? Generally accepted practice is to separate your contributions from the ingame text with italics or something. You can also use a little LPer avatar for your interjections.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I've decided that after LPing The Old Republic several years ago, the time is right to LP another bad sci-fi MMO: Star Trek: Online. This is a test post with a Romulan captain. I'll be doing all the different factions.

Some things I noticed when putting it together:
-The space shots are too dark to see much of what's going on. I'll need to work on lighting and positioning a lot more.
-Are the portraits too small/fuzzy?
-I'm having a real hard time deciding what to do about dialogue I write vs what's in the game. I think having a big wall of italicized text is ugly, but that just might be me. Also, I need to break up the big text walls with more screenshots.

Anything else stand out to be improved?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Moon Slayer posted:

I've decided that after LPing The Old Republic several years ago, the time is right to LP another bad sci-fi MMO: Star Trek: Online. This is a test post with a Romulan captain. I'll be doing all the different factions.

Some things I noticed when putting it together:
-The space shots are too dark to see much of what's going on. I'll need to work on lighting and positioning a lot more.
-Are the portraits too small/fuzzy?
-I'm having a real hard time deciding what to do about dialogue I write vs what's in the game. I think having a big wall of italicized text is ugly, but that just might be me. Also, I need to break up the big text walls with more screenshots.

Anything else stand out to be improved?

Portraits and dialogues look fine to me. Will be following this since I recently started playing this again.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Technowolf posted:

Portraits and dialogues look fine to me. Will be following this since I recently started playing this again.

You, just like me, are making a huge mistake.

e: Planned thread title is going to be: Set phasers to fanfic: let's play Star Trek: Online.

Moon Slayer fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Dec 16, 2018

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
https://youtu.be/G_OCd7DeCyc
does this video sound ok i cant tell because i mixed it super quiet w/ ultra loud headphones

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

redm posted:

https://youtu.be/G_OCd7DeCyc
does this video sound ok i cant tell because i mixed it super quiet w/ ultra loud headphones

I think the voice is a little loud compared to the game, personally. I listened on my tablet though, so that might be impacting it.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Psycho Knight posted:

I think the voice is a little loud compared to the game, personally. I listened on my tablet though, so that might be impacting it.

i hadnt thought to listen to it on a tablet like device yet ill be sure to keep that in mind the next time i record ty

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

redm posted:

i hadnt thought to listen to it on a tablet like device yet ill be sure to keep that in mind the next time i record ty

It may be personal preference as well. Some people prefer to have the game quiet in comparison. I'm just giving my two cents.

Other than that it sounds alright, although there's some background noise going on, like wrapper crumpling or something at the start.

Edit: Listening with headphones it sounds like a better balance, which is probably obvious when compared to little tablet speakers.

Is that chicken clucking music actually in the game, or did you overlay it?

Psycho Knight fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Dec 18, 2018

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Psycho Knight posted:

Is that chicken clucking music actually in the game, or did you overlay it?

the literal chicken dance song is one i added, the series is in the style of another youtuber i like named aqua fps

the game itself actually has very little to no music

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones
if you mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QGEGVFTRc its in the game i cant decide if i want to turn down the music to record or not

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

redm posted:

if you mean this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5QGEGVFTRc its in the game i cant decide if i want to turn down the music to record or not

Yeah, that's what I was referring to. I thought it was a little annoying, but if it's in the game then there isn't much to be done about it. I just wanted to find out if it was you or the game, because if you had added it in post then I was going to suggest taking it out or at least turning it down. My cat was staring at the tablet with a major WTF face when that part was playing.

On the other hand, I have no involvement with these types of games, so maybe this is some kind of goofy thing that's all the rage these days and I'm just old and crotchety for not liking it.

redm
Feb 20, 2016

Sugartime Jones

Psycho Knight posted:

On the other hand, I have no involvement with these types of games, so maybe this is some kind of goofy thing that's all the rage these days and I'm just old and crotchety for not liking it.

the only game like this i have experience w is rust legacy this game is fun tho

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I should be able to come up with a feasible workflow for Masquerada: Songs and Shadows now, but before I work up another test post I have a question. The game lets you resize the GUI at your leisure. The first screenshot here has the GUI scaled to 100%, and the second is at 150%. Which one looks better? Should I use one size for screenshots and another for video?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Really Pants posted:

I should be able to come up with a feasible workflow for Masquerada: Songs and Shadows now, but before I work up another test post I have a question. The game lets you resize the GUI at your leisure. The first screenshot here has the GUI scaled to 100%, and the second is at 150%. Which one looks better? Should I use one size for screenshots and another for video?

The latter option would make for the better presentation. Larger GUI for the screenshots, smaller for the videos.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Really Pants posted:

Second one looks way more readable on mobile.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If I'm uploading a soundtrack to YouTube, should I compress it to .avi's?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Let's give this another try.

-The Eighth Canticle-

Launch trailer
Cinematic trailer
Geeks and Sundry live-action trailer

Masquerada: Songs and Shadows is a tactical role-playing game developed by Witching Hour Studios and published by Ysbryd Games in September 2016. Witching Hour took pains to dispense with as many RPG traditions as possible. Masquerada doesn't bother with character levels, gold, ability scores, damage types, or inventory management. Your party only gets five members in all, and an average playthrough should take twelve hours at most. There's little exploration and no backtracking. There's scarcely any side content--many things that would be optional in another RPG, like party members' personal stories, are integrated into the main plot. Sometimes Masquerada can feel a little too simple but for the most part all this fat-trimming is of immense benefit, offering both gameplay and narrative that are tightly designed and well-paced with no time wasted. Masquerada even manages to prove that real-time-with-pause combat does not have to suck.

The setting is just as unique, taking its cues from Alexandre Dumas instead of J.R.R. Tolkien. Ombre is a city-state where neighborhoods are prizes for aristocrats to fight over, a good day means only getting figuratively stabbed in the back, and the haves separate themselves from the have-nots by use of Moskareens Mascherines: magical masks from a lost civilization that grant their wearers power over the elements. Life is cheap and it's only common sense to exploit and manipulate everyone around you. Masquerada's story doesn't wallow too much in edgy grimdark, though, mostly focusing instead on strangers learning to trust in each other and find hope for a better life.

All in all I think this game's fantastic. I've played lots of great games this past year but Masquerada: Songs and Shadows was still one of my favorites out of them all.

Prologue

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 23, 2018

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
is retsupurae dead

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Mycroft Holmes posted:

is retsupurae dead

More or less, yes. They were going with more impersonal videos like mocking Flash games and Kickstarters.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
A rule check :

Can I do a master mode botw lp, completely through the switches snapshot system?

So multiple pages of Twitter embeds.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Turtlicious posted:

A rule check :

Can I do a master mode botw lp, completely through the switches snapshot system?

So multiple pages of Twitter embeds.

If you wanted to do that it'd probably be better to take the pictures, then transfer them from the Switch's SD card to your computer instead of uploading them to Twitter. Of course, taking screenshots in the moment instead of from a recording is its own can of worms...

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Can you? Yes. Should you? Because frankly that sounds like it would be be absolutely awful to follow along. On the most basic level not everyone has embedding on (or is on mobile, it what have you) and having to manually click on 100 tweets every single page sounds like a complete mess for the viewer. Also echoing that doing screens not from video is...ill-advised, but don't let that stop you if you really want to.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Also the Switch's screencap quality is okay but doesn't really compare to a nice video capture whose quality and encoding you actually have control over.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

On the other hand, if you really want to do it via the snapshot to Twitter thing, you can take the images from the tweets, save them to your computer, then upload them to LPix. You might have to resize them with… uh, whatever tool is recommended. IrfanView, I think? I never remember what it's called because I use something else.

That way, you get to tweet your run to your followers, and present it as a Screen Shot LP here.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
So I'm beginning setup on my XCOM 2 LP. (Yes it was meant to be Enemy Within, but then I realised soldier customisation wasn't going to work the way I wanted)

What would be the best way to organise people submitting their Soldiers for the pool? A google form is the most immediate thing, but I'm unsure if there's something better, like an online creator that people could use to see their outputs.

Edit: Oh and is it worth me buying all the DLC on the assumption that we'll play through the base game and leave the expansions for a followup if the time is right?

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

I recommend asking Jade Star about this on all counts. He previously ran a skilled LP of the base game with recruits from the peanut gallery (Hulk Hogan was a sillier addition here), and he could offer advice about how/if you should implement the DLC.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

I have a completed LP that I sent a note to Baldurk to about a month ago. He will get to it when he has time, no worries there.

Do I need to worry about my thread falling into SA forum archives, or will he be able to get to it either way?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

FairGame posted:

I have a completed LP that I sent a note to Baldurk to about a month ago. He will get to it when he has time, no worries there.

Do I need to worry about my thread falling into SA forum archives, or will he be able to get to it either way?

You do not have to worry about the thread falling into the forum archives for Baldurk to get to it. He'll archive it either way. (And in case you need to do something to the thread, you can ask a mod to pull it out of the forum archives.)

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."

Dr. Fetus posted:

(And in case you need to do something to the thread, you can ask a mod to pull it out of the forum archives.)
Correct me if I'm wrong but last I heard this was super impossible.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

IGgy IGsen posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but last I heard this was super impossible.

Archiving has been broken for a while so it was possible if a thread was not really archived. ZDR is back working on the forums and has mentioned looking into archiving, so it will probably go back to impossible.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
I'm thinking about doing a Let's Play of Pathfinder:Kingmaker. I've spent about 300+ hours on the game and have sort of fallen in love with it, broken mess that it so frequently is. I was thinking the best way to do it would be to do three different playthroughs, one with full text and two others highlighting the differences and glossing over the rest (One LG or CG, one N, and one the opposite of the first) I'd be letting the audience pick which will be the main playthrough and fire off character ideas to be our MCs/create custom portraits if they want.

Do any of you guys with experience doing overly long text-heavy RPGs have any good advice for how to get through them without burning out? I'm also hunting for a text dump but may not find one... I did see the ImageMagic thing in the tech help forum, but doing that on a 100+ hour game feels painful. As for screencaps of the game, is it easier to just take a bunch of them, or to video an entire session and then grab what you need as you need it afterwards?

Also, how does one set up those tiny character icons that everyone uses? That I couldn't find anywhere. Is it a special insert command or a BBcode thing in my settings that I just missed? Sorry if this is the wrong thread for that.

Thanks for your time, I know these are 100% newbie questions, but I am also a 100% newbie at this so any advice you have would be great.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Taking things backwards:

* The portraits are just img tags. Recommend you invent a special tag you use when writing your posts, which you search/replace with the real links before posting. For example, I used [head-kane] to stand in for Kane's portrait in my last LP.

* Screenshots while playing vs. video: everyone swears by the latter, but I've always done the former myself just because I tend to write the update while playing the game and I don't want to be constantly stopping/starting video recording. The advantage of video is that you can just play the game through and then get exactly the right frame for each shot. It also lets you do animated GIFs pretty easily if that's your thing. I think it's a lot more important for a realtime game than a turn-based one though.

* Text dumps: you can try the OCR route. You can also just screengrab the text and embed images into the update. That's not friendly to people that use screen readers, I guess. I don't know how many such people are reading LPs.

* Keeping motivation: it's like any other big project: build a habit of chipping away at it at regular intervals. Don't try to force yourself to sit down and write an update, but e.g. if you decide "Wednesday evenings are my LPing time" then you should try to do something related to the LP every Wednesday evening, even if it's relatively trivial poo poo like updating a bestiary or picking which screenshots to use.

...that said, doing a 100+-hour game as your very first LP is ambitious, to say the least. I'm not saying don't try, just be aware that you're signing up for a lot of work. I'd estimate that for an RPG screenshot LP with invented party banter / fanfic, every update takes on the order of 5-10 hours to put together.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Definitely what TooMuchAbstraction said about ambitiousness. I did a VLP of my favorite game and did a lot of editing in post. Be very careful about burning out not just your will to lp, but your appreciation of the game.

However I would still say do video and screenshot off of that. Even a turnbased game could always have the blink and you miss it obligatory-must-show-in-thread 420/ 69 / 8008 number pop up and then vanish by the time you hit the shoulder button or whatever you map screenshot to. Practical test. If you do the Four Job Fiesta every year, and if you aren't carefully watching Shinryu's HP good luck taking a picture of the dying frame.

StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Natural 20 posted:

So I'm beginning setup on my XCOM 2 LP. (Yes it was meant to be Enemy Within, but then I realised soldier customisation wasn't going to work the way I wanted)

What would be the best way to organise people submitting their Soldiers for the pool? A google form is the most immediate thing, but I'm unsure if there's something better, like an online creator that people could use to see their outputs.

Edit: Oh and is it worth me buying all the DLC on the assumption that we'll play through the base game and leave the expansions for a followup if the time is right?

You'll definitely want the 'War of the Chosen' expansion DLC, it fleshes out the campaign in ways that would work very well with a blind LP. Skip the 'Alien Hunters' DLC, it's weird and doesn't fit with the rest of the game.

Turn on all expansions that you want on when you start the campaign. The game is always just one run, one shot at the aliens, and the expansions and DLC just add more stuff to the run.

StoryTime fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Dec 29, 2018

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.
* Ahh, I see. That feels so blindingly obvious now that it's brilliant. Okay, I know how to do that.

* Thanks very much for advice about the video vs screenshots thing, both of you. Since P:K is a real-time-with-pause game, I think video will definitely be the way to go.

* I also managed to figure out where text files are stored, so I can just search and copy/paste as I need to. They're not in order, but it still saves a lot of typing and cramps. I can put in screenshots to supplement it, too.

Thanks for the rest of the advice, too, about how to chip away at it and letting me know the workload involved. I knew making an LP was intensive, but not quite that intensive. I know it's ridiculously ambitious to start with something so huge as a project, but I haven't really had another game grab onto me quite like this one has. I'll give it a little more thought, and if I'm not sure I can do it maybe I'll try doing something a shorter first as a test.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Something I find that helps with making the "should I lp this???" decisions is actually recording a bit of gameplay and writing a proof of concept. You don't ever have to show it to anyone, but just writing a single test update lets you get a feel for what the challenges of lping that particular game would be. Ask yourself "is this something I can feasibly do multiple times per week for months on end?"

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

DoubleNegative posted:

Something I find that helps with making the "should I lp this???" decisions is actually recording a bit of gameplay and writing a proof of concept. You don't ever have to show it to anyone, but just writing a single test update lets you get a feel for what the challenges of lping that particular game would be. Ask yourself "is this something I can feasibly do multiple times per week for months on end?"

Reminder that it's also fine to have a couple weeks between updates. That does mean it takes longer before the whole thing is finished, of course.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I could swear I remembered watching an LP of The Unfinished Swan from these forums, but I did not see any trace of it in the archive or the master list. Am I imagining things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Mraagvpeine posted:

I could swear I remembered watching an LP of The Unfinished Swan from these forums, but I did not see any trace of it in the archive or the master list. Am I imagining things?

Neither of those are definitive. Both are user-maintained. You might be imagining things.