Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Sunswipe posted:

You cannot tell me this was created by a sane person.

I think... that dog is licking itself clean... so he can delay the start of his owner's sexual escapades.

It's a sad reflection of abuse really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SomeJazzyRat posted:

I think... that dog is licking itself clean... so he can delay the start of his owner's sexual escapades.

It's a sad reflection of abuse really.

I don't even know which of them is supposed to be "Scooter." The dog? The dead animal humping the dog? The man on the bike? The bike?

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Is that a Playstation?

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Best comics of the thread so far, unironically.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I will never get tired of people's reactions when they are first exposed to Ballard Street. :allears:

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm going to stop at this one for tonight, because I don't think my brain can take much more of this.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can only hope that this is what my eventual descent into dementia will be like.

Lemon
May 22, 2003

I kinda like this one, I don't know why.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Its like if the Far Side was retarded, and then suffered a traumatic brain injury

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

Sunswipe posted:

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN?
Marianne grew to regret the emphasis she had placed on timeliness during the early years of her marriage.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sunswipe posted:

I'm going to stop at this one for tonight, because I don't think my brain can take much more of this.

These look like panels that were given to fans to caption.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

AlbieQuirky posted:

Yes.

All her family comics are just pure joy.

Where do you find her current work? I was looking at Hark A Vagrant and it ended ( which is sad to hear).

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Ballard Street comics might actually be better if you randomly shuffled the pictures and captions.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Are they the work of a cartoonist looking for a writer? Like they're just a show reel of wacky images with non sequitur punchlines.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I dunno, I liked them. But I think I too have a rather low entertainment threshold.

I'm pretty sure I also enjoy watching the tumble dryer, even.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I like the cut of Fancy Dan's jib.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Lazlo Nibble posted:

Formerly “The Neighborhood”.

I got a collected volume of The Neighbourhood years ago (or some other strip by the same artist) which I remember as being pretty good, I'm struggling to get into the strips that we just saw

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

This last one is the strangest of all because it is actually a joke.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Ariong posted:

This last one is the strangest of all because it is actually a joke.

No, see, you've mistaken a "joke", with a setup and punchline, with "the text connects to the picture in a clear manner".

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

gently caress yeah ballard street. I hated these comics as a kid for like 10 years straight, and then one day their absurdity just clicked. The dogs are the key entry-level characters, their emotive faces always get me.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

This has to be something David Lynch does in his downtime, right?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
Keep posting Ballard Street. I appreciate brain tumor made jokes

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Ballard Street is some kind of Boomer enclave of guaranteed pension malaise and encroaching senility where doctors are merely gumball machines full of Ambien.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Pondex posted:

This has to be something David Lynch does in his downtime, right?

I dunno, his comic sometimes had jokes.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

I chose these three because each one elicited a verbal "What the gently caress?" from me. This next one, I think, could replace "Christ, what an rear end in a top hat" as the default line to improve comics.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

I'm really starting to come around on these.
The middle one of those three is legit funny.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Newspaper comics peaked and ended with The Far Side and Calvin and hobbes. Bloom country was good, there were a few others but opening up a newspaper and still seeing loving heathcliff is loving sad. I am old gurmble grumble

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Applesnots posted:

Newspaper comics peaked and ended with The Far Side and Calvin and hobbes. Bloom country was good, there were a few others but opening up a newspaper and still seeing loving heathcliff is loving sad. I am old gurmble grumble

Nu-Nancy is great.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Applesnots posted:

Have you read Nu-Heathcliff? It's on par with Ballard Street for dadaist "Did I just have a stroke?" humor.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
The "The country's at war you know" one is legit funny

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

:stare:

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Everett has noticed the boys fascination with balls and has filled his home with them to entice him over.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Posting Ballard Street is emotional terrorism against people who read this thread stoned

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Sir Azrael
Jan 14, 2004

Locked, cocked, and polygonally rifled... This creature fears nothing.

Riatsala posted:

Posting Ballard Street is emotional terrorism against people who read this thread stoned

Please help me find the comic your avatar is based on. It is very good and plugging various permutations of "mario + turtles + property is theft etc etc" into google isn't working for me. TIA

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Sir Azrael posted:

Please help me find the comic your avatar is based on. It is very good and plugging various permutations of "mario + turtles + property is theft etc etc" into google isn't working for me. TIA
Here you go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3794989&pagenumber=175&perpage=40#post484945067

P.S. I searched this thread for "Mario". :ssh:

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Sir Azrael posted:

I got you boo http://www.noncanon.com/comic/lovely-notions