Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

ill take tesla shaggar, thank u, but try 2 confine ur nerd rage about the cars i like to the tesla thread

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Corla Plankun posted:

i just got a job at a startup that just gives me a stipend for tech instead of buying it for me

i think i want a thin client laptop and a lil server box with processing power that i can ssh into whenever i need to do a compute but i havent tried to buy either thing in like ten years so i dont know where to look

newegg seems bad now?? the laptops with good reviews have almost no reviews and the department of homeland security told me Not to buy huaqei anyway

i know you guys explicitly told me not to do this but i think im going to buy a linux desktop and a pixelbook

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Corla Plankun posted:

i know you guys explicitly told me not to do this but i think im going to buy a linux desktop and a pixelbook

[checks thread title] yep, lmao

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corla Plankun posted:

why ever do that when windows is free

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

i take back what i said about velop. comcast is having an outage and velop wont let me access any of my local devices - nas, etc - without an internet connection. just flashes a red light and the app tells me its offline. dogshit.

nice belkin router you got there

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

fishmech posted:

why ever do that when windows is free

hwo do i get free windows fishmech

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Perplx posted:

nice belkin router you got there
its bad. but it is the least bad home mesh network.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Corla Plankun posted:

buy an old rear end Burger King cash register and move the windows xp posready edition sticker to your gaming rigg

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Corla Plankun posted:

purchase any real computer

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

buy an old rear end Burger King cash register and move the windows xp posready edition sticker to your gaming rigg

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
spinning rust is my dj name

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
If you're willing to live with the "Activate Windows" nag in the corner of the screen forever you can download and install Windows 10 on any machine for free.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

work changed their policy (before i submitted my picks so it wasnt my fault) and now im just getting a normal xps

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

ShadowHawk posted:

If you're willing to live with the "Activate Windows" nag in the corner of the screen forever you can download and install Windows 10 on any machine for free.
windows activation is broken as gently caress. a little bit of powershell fuckery grants you a digital license that's yours forever, and can even be linked to an ms account if you do that kind of thing. people paying for $5 windows 7 gray market keys are paying $5 too much. people digging up win 7 stickers out of a dumpster, or even their own closet are pointlessly wasting time.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Laslow posted:

windows activation is broken as gently caress. a little bit of powershell fuckery grants you a digital license that's yours forever, and can even be linked to an ms account if you do that kind of thing. people paying for $5 windows 7 gray market keys are paying $5 too much. people digging up win 7 stickers out of a dumpster, or even their own closet are pointlessly wasting time.

go on

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

why on earth would anyone install win 10 if they had a working win 7 key tho

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

windows 10 is faster and better than windows 7.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Corla Plankun posted:

why on earth would anyone install win 10 if they had a working win 7 key tho

dark mood

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sagebrush posted:

:stare:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Sagebrush posted:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
They named the 18th Windows, Windows 10

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

idk why you guys think it is faster when win10 builds bloatware into the os itself

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

like maybe it is faster in the sense that it is scheduling things better or whatever but it is also hitting loving microsoft adware endpoints all the time and shoving yahoo-style pop culture garbage into every interaction with the compute

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

turn your monitor on

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
more importantly, win7 is going to stop* getting security updates in a little over a year

*yes except for people on paid support, thank you friendly internet pedant ghost

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

it is, but windows 10 keeps asking me to download lame iphone games

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it has never asked me that

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

yeah normally it does that without asking, check your install

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

like maybe it is faster in the sense that it is scheduling things better or whatever but it is also hitting loving microsoft adware endpoints all the time and shoving yahoo-style pop culture garbage into every interaction with the compute

opinion from someone who has never run win10 or is basing their experience on a $300 best buy laptop still running the manufacturer's hosed up image

dont get me wrong win10 has its issues and definitely some real stupid poo poo but...not to that extent

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
there's a bunch of insane nerds out there who used sw8 haxor pirated "slim" windows xp isos to "keep the bloat out" up til like 2015,and they get mad that windows has things like a media player.

They're the ones hollering about windows 10 is broadcasting an ip address

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

fishmech posted:

They named the 18th Windows, Windows 10

i eagerly await my iphones 9

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
My computer turn off if I bump the case. Today it shut off when I pressed the space bar too hard. Might be time to look into it.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
ive never seen win 10 show me a single ad or install a single bloat app

is it like a home vs pro deal? where home version has the bullshit? I have pro on my win 10 box.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its dorks that click through the setup and say OK OK OK OK to all the prompts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

user error is still kind of in scope as ux fuckery

but yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Sniep posted:

ive never seen win 10 show me a single ad or install a single bloat app

is it like a home vs pro deal? where home version has the bullshit? I have pro on my win 10 box.

Sort of, except W10 "Pro" is actually "Home" and "Home" is whatever one below "Home" used to be, maybe "Basic"?

To get W10 Pro you need to get Enterprise.

:shrug: