Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Godholio posted:

It does...over the aft-most seat.

Edit:

I've been in one several times, can't believe I've never seen that.

drgitlin posted:

That must be relatively common. I was in Manhattan for meetings at 1WTC last month and an E-2 flew past at roughly eye level one morning.

IDK if its related but Bethpage, Long Island was where the E-2C was designed and built for a long time before it moved to Florida.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Dec 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Baconroll posted:

In further Gatwick drone news the police have now arrested 2 people. The Army may have taken down a drone but the news is really vague on the specifics.

Will be interesting to see if its generic idiots, rich kid eco-warriors, or some new variety of idiot.
A 47 year old man and 54 year old woman supposedly.

quote:

In January I expect we'll see new legislation rushed through Parliament for all sorts of controls on drone - which criminals will of course ignore.
The best laws are always passed as knee-jerk reactions.

It will be interesting to find out what the story is with this though, everything about it so far is just bizarre. God, watch it be something like some off the wall plan for the accused to keep their kids home for Christmas or something.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 22, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
They should copy the US method of naming knee-jerk laws stupidly.

Gatwick's Law

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

mlmp08 posted:

Gatwick's Law

Gotta be an acronym for GATWICK though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

mlmp08 posted:

Gatwick's Law

Drone
Restrictions:
Overwhelming
New
Expansion

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

ApathyGifted posted:

Gotta be an acronym for GATWICK though.

Ghastly
Aviation
Terrorists
Won’t
Interrupt
Commercial
Kvetching?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I mean, as holiday problems go "they shut down the airport with drones" is better than "ex special forces tried to crash an airliner so they could break a drug lord free and John McCains ex is there too somehow".

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
One of those was far more entertaining, though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

slidebite posted:

A 47 year old man and 54 year old woman supposedly.

The best laws are always passed as knee-jerk reactions.

It will be interesting to find out what the story is with this though, everything about it so far is just bizarre. God, watch it be something like some off the wall plan for the accused to keep their kids home for Christmas or something.

It'll be a NIMBY who decided calling and complaining about aircraft noise wasn't sufficient anymore.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Dannywilson posted:

Yeah, SA doesn't work like that and is never going to be turned back on.

Even if it did, most good GNSS systems will have receivers for GOS, GLONASS, Galileo and the Chinese network.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

drgitlin posted:

Even if it did, most good GNSS systems will have receivers for GOS, GLONASS, Galileo and the Chinese network.

Interesting and little known fact, (well, maybe it just wasn't known by me for a long time) most phones already have GLONASS.

catfry
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
cool sound

https://twitter.com/jwok_714/status/1075552893137080321

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Above the law!

https://twitter.com/eliistender10/status/1076457523618680832?s=19

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I've seen speculation that it's a really obtuse protest against deportation, which I guess UK does via airline? I dunno how much credibility I put in that.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haha I knew it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Can’t be Charles, the drones didn’t crash.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Carth Dookie posted:

It'll be a NIMBY who decided calling and complaining about aircraft noise wasn't sufficient anymore.

It's disturbing how this actually sounds like the most plausible motivation I've heard yet.

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!

argentina.jpg

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

PT6A posted:

It's disturbing how this actually sounds like the most plausible motivation I've heard yet.

I’ve been wondering the same, isn’t there a particularly active anti-noise group there?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Diana never would have attacked Gatwick with drones.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PT6A posted:

Only thing against this were reports of a "commercial" type drone, although its not like the news outlets wouldn't know the difference between a $1500 and a $50 drone.

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

slidebite posted:

Only thing against this were reports of a "commercial" type drone, although its not like the news outlets wouldn't know the difference between a $1500 and a $50 drone.

DJIs are basically commercial type drones at this point because of how prevalent they are with drone startups for surveying and photography if you don't want to develop some inhouse bullshit

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Solkanar512 posted:

I’ve been wondering the same, isn’t there a particularly active anti-noise group there?

CAGNE

They wrote a letter to council thanking them for the Christmas Present.

It was taken poorly

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

The vast majority of noise complaints at every airport are from the same one or two insane busybodies who call dozens of times every day

https://allthatsinteresting.com/complainers-ruin-airport

One individual filed 98% of complaints to McCarran, a married couple called Washington National almost 7,000 times in a single year.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Dec 23, 2018

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/uk-police-release-two-people-arrested-gatwick-drone-114006167.html

quote:

LONDON (Reuters) - British police on Sunday released without charge two people arrested in an inquiry into the illegal use of drones at London's Gatwick Airport that crippled operations for three days last week.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46665615

" Sussex Police Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley" posted:

He [ Sussex Police Det Ch Supt Jason Tingley] added there was "always a possibility that there may not have been any genuine drone activity in the first place", but they were working on a range of information from members of the public, police officers and staff working at Gatwick who had reported otherwise

If this turns out to be some mass hysteria event it will be highly ironic.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

helno posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46665615

Oh man, same article:

quote:

He said there was no available footage of the drones and police were relying on witness accounts.

helno
Jun 19, 2003

hmm now were did I leave that plane
I thought it was odd that there does not appear to be any pictures or video with the length of time and number of sightings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3iFJpGJiug

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
If this turns out to be a fantastically huge self-own I will laugh my rear end off and hope that this is at least one nail in the coffin of that "If you see something, say something" bullshit.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

helno posted:

If that turns out to be true it'll make my loving christmas :D

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

There were some videos floating around of people purporting to show a drone over the gatwick terminal. Might have been a photoshop or joke though I guess?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Phanatic posted:

If this turns out to be a fantastically huge self-own I will laugh my rear end off and hope that this is at least one nail in the coffin of that "If you see something, say something" bullshit.

"Be a patriot! Be an informer!" Is here to stay.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

hobbesmaster posted:

There were some videos floating around of people purporting to show a drone over the gatwick terminal. Might have been a photoshop or joke though I guess?

I did see a vid of a drone over a terminal, but it wasn't clear where and when it was taken.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Jonny Nox posted:

Drone sighting.

Which means panicked civilian saw a garbage bag that had been picked up by the wind.

Who could have predicted...

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

shame on an IGA posted:

The vast majority of noise complaints at every airport are from the same one or two insane busybodies who call dozens of times every day

The airfield for my gliding club has couple known complainers, one of them complaining also other matters like racing events. I think one failed official complaint cost him 500€, another one 1500€. We assumed he would stop doing it with such track record, but no. The club president was meeting with some county officials and this person came up in the talks. One official remarked that has complaining as a hobby. And as with all hobbies, it is allowed to cost money.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

It's only the Mk II which is approved for IFR

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Ola posted:

It's only the Mk II which is approved for IFR

Want to see the 3-reindeer Out emergency landing procedures.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

The dreaded five-reindeer approach.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

shame on an IGA posted:

https://allthatsinteresting.com/complainers-ruin-airport

One individual filed 98% of complaints to McCarran, a married couple called Washington National almost 7,000 times in a single year.

Same for Denver, something like 97% of the noise complaints were from one dude that doesn’t even live near the airport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

holocaust bloopers posted:

Want to see the 3-reindeer Out emergency landing procedures.

Reminds me of this old joke:

quote:

Santa Claus, like all pilots, gets regular visits from the Federal Aviation Administration, and it was shortly before Christmas when the FAA examiner arrived.

In preparation, Santa had the elves wash the sled and bathe all the reindeer. Santa got his logbook out and made sure all his paperwork was in order.

The examiner walked slowly around the sled. He check the reindeer harnesses, the landing gear, and Rudolf's nose. He painstakingly reviewed Santa's weight and balance calculations for sled's enormous payload.

Finally, they were ready for the checkride. Santa got in and fastened his seatbelt and shoulder harness and checked the compass. Then the examiner hopped in carrying, to Santa's surprise, a shotgun.

"What's that for?" asked Santa incredulously.

The examiner winked and said, "I'm not supposed to tell you this, but you're gonna lose an engine on takeoff."