Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/TechnicallyRon/status/1076562852721426436/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1076540395851575297?s=19

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this one is better imo

https://twitter.com/Ukraine/status/869532150760165377

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
America has become the Simpsons and England has become the Thick of It. Life imitates art.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

i'd love to but the other party's full of americans who want to kill me for sucking cock so naw

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

21stcentury.gif

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The nazi government is so hip and relatable

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Algund Eenboom posted:

The nazi government is so hip and relatable

and you are a loving idiot

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Kitfox88 posted:

i'd love to but the other party's full of americans who want to kill me for sucking cock so naw

youre supposed to read between the lines. you should become filthy rich first so they wont mind

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

a bunch of british celebrities have decided to back up linehan

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1076608811887181826

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

steinrokkan posted:

he’s being sarcastic, I’m pretty sure

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Jose posted:

a bunch of british celebrities have decided to back up linehan

https://twitter.com/demarionunn/status/1076608811887181826

Dear God these people are the worst, haven't spent much time exploring this particular awful side of Twitter

https://twitter.com/KarenYossman/status/1076511557276717057

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

why does the uk have so many transphobic newspaper columnists

like i'm sure there are lots in the us too but they don't write about it very often

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

halfway convinced that trans... whatever the verb is... being funded by the nhs drives them loving mental.

we get similar stories in canada. perfect nexus of someone to otherize and so-called wasteful government spending.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
i'm convinced it's the next generation version of the trotskyite-turned-neocon thing, only for tedious 90s public figures who jack off to free speech

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
like there's definitely been a rapid decline among young boomers/early gen x-ers over the past couple of years
https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1076482405328961537

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

exmarx posted:

like there's definitely been a rapid decline among young boomers/early gen x-ers over the past couple of years
https://twitter.com/robrousseau/status/1076482405328961537

tbf, the only good reason to be rich is so that you can get drunk and shitpost all day

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Badger of Basra posted:

like i'm sure there are lots in the us too but they don't write about it very often

papers in the us tend to get transphobic writers who act like they're not transphobic but couch all their language as positive while reinforcing negative stereotypes.

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

steinrokkan posted:

would mark Ames and the Sputnik news team lie?

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

papers in the us tend to get transphobic writers who act like they're not transphobic but couch all their language as positive while reinforcing negative stereotypes.

And Rod Dreher: Bathroom Warrior

A Big Fuckin Hornet
Nov 1, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
at this point im certain the only reason the Democratic party isnt full-on TERF is because the evangelical right got in there before the second wavers had a chance

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

They say the n word a lot and also has louis CK just been allowed back

https://twitter.com/KissKraver/status/1076628621865955328?s=19

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
seinfeld still reeling after mulaney stonewalled his wife jokes

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

A Big Fuckin Hornet posted:

at this point im certain the only reason the Democratic party isnt full-on TERF is because the evangelical right got in there before the second wavers had a chance

There's probably still time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Jose posted:

Yes and yes. I mean, I would be surprised if he resumed collaborating with, say, Tig Notaro, but there are basically no possible consequences for Seinfeld/Rock/Gervais et al if they just bring him back into the fold as if he was away for a while because he was on vacation.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

lol wait is that that awful panel thing that ricky gervais did to trick people into thinking that he's a good stand up

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

louis has not been allowed back

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

Jose posted:

This is from a long time ago. And Jerry was ... wise here. Chris rock had always left a bad taste in my mouth with that "it's okay to call people the n word if they ACT like an n word" take. Also black people giving their white friends "the card" creates problems every time.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/sharonodea/status/1076791524539727872?s=19

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
ah I didn’t realize that clip was from a while ago

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

https://twitter.com/sharonodea/status/1076856101793075202?s=20

lol liberal white supremacy wants to make the screams of PoC being burned alive go away so badly

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

AxGrap posted:

This is from a long time ago. And Jerry was ... wise here. Chris rock had always left a bad taste in my mouth with that "it's okay to call people the n word if they ACT like an n word" take. Also black people giving their white friends "the card" creates problems every time.

Yeah, pretty sure I remember seeing that several years ago.

I know Chris Rock deeply regrets that bit he did because the racists latched onto it so hard. And of course ignored the later bit where he answered his white fans on whether they could say it with "Not really."

My sister-in-law offered me "the card" if I beat her at dominos but told me that I still couldn't use it around anyone but her or I was going to get my rear end kicked. I've been with a black woman for over seven years and still don't use it unless it's a direct quote and even then I find it gross. I get why people are obsessed with using it because when you're told you can't do something you really want to, but it feels physically uncomfortable for me to say it even in private so I also kind of don't get it.

Since this is the hot take thread here's one: Part of why some white people love the euphemism so much is because it detracts from the ugliness of the word so they don't have to feel as uncomfortable. Thought experiment, in private say "They called him/her the n-word" and then say the same thing but actually use the word, see which has a more visceral gut response.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

22 Eargesplitten posted:

My sister-in-law offered me "the card" if I beat her at dominos but told me that I still couldn't use it around anyone but her or I was going to get my rear end kicked. I've been with a black woman for over seven years and still don't use it unless it's a direct quote and even then I find it gross. I get why people are obsessed with using it because when you're told you can't do something you really want to, but it feels physically uncomfortable for me to say it even in private so I also kind of don't get it.

Thanks for this cool primer on how you're allowed to say the n word but mostly choose not to

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i scream it from the safety of my car and the privacy of my shower and bedroom, the way it should be

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

Badger of Basra posted:

good* piece about this from last month

quote:

... it is worth asking how transphobic narratives, focused on depicting trans women in particular as a threat, have gained disproportionate traction in the U.K.’s establishment media in the last decade. Especially among women who should be allies.

The answer lies in part to the coalescence of a certain set of ideas in a very specific circle of voices in the early 21st century — voices that later went on to hold high profile positions in much of the U.K.’s print and broadcast media.

I’m referring here to the U.K. Skeptics movement of the early 2000s. Despite the fact that it was basically a loose network of people who were far too impressed with themselves for not believing in astrology and homeopathy, they have an outsized legacy. The movement consisted largely of groups meeting in pubs and organising talks promoting a specific brand of scientific skepticism and concerned primarily with the “debunking” of alternative medicine and pseudoscience. So far, so niche, but there is compelling evidence that suggests that both the ideological basis and some of the specific proponents of U.K. skepticism in the noughties are implicated in the spread of transphobic thinking into the mainstream media in this country.

While claiming to be the country’s foremost critical thinkers, the group was riddled with anti-humanities bias and a fetish for a certain kind of “science” that it held to reveal a set of immutable principles upon which the world was built with almost no regard whatsoever for interpretative analysis based on social or historical factors. Part of this mode of thinking was an especially reductivist biologism: the idea that there are immutable realities to be found in our DNA, and if we just paid enough attention to Science and stopped trying to split hairs and discover meaning over in the superfluous disciplines of the humanities, then everything would be much simpler. It’s precisely this kind of biological essentialism — which skirts dangerously close to eugenics — that leads people to think they can “debunk” a person’s claim to their gender identity, or that it should be subjected to rigorous testing by someone in a lab coat before we can believe the subject is who they say they are.
*i'm not british so if anybody more familiar with the UK media than myself has a different take i'm happy to hear it

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Crane Fist posted:

Thanks for this cool primer on how you're allowed to say the n word but mostly choose not to

It was meant more as an example of how no, just because you're close to black people doesn't mean you can, or that you should even want to. And the dominos bit was meant more to be about how white people can't be trusted to know that just because one person is fine with it doesn't mean you can say it around whoever you want like you just had them teach you the secret handshake of blackdom.

I still haven't beat her at dominos, but she's got like 20 years of experience on me and insists that you can't play dominos sober.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
there’s another Chris Rock bit that I remember seeing, maybe his replacement for or update to the more famous but he regrets, where he says there’s only one time a white person can say it in front of him, and that’s when they’re singing along to a rap song, because he knows they’d say it if he wasn’t there so they might as well go ahead.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

That's the one I was thinking of where his answer is "Not really."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
my dad casually dropped the n word today while I was having dinner with him at the local Lebanese restaurant.