Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Is there a minis thread? I don't want to bore you lot with my non hand cut wooden tank kits. (the precision and detail in this thread is insane)

e: found it

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Could you bore us with one?

Please?

I'm being serious.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Jonny Nox posted:

Could you bore us with one?

Please?

I'm being serious.

I... Don't have any tank kits sorry. Just robots from Mars.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Finished painting, started to work on decals:

I ended up using a prismacolor pencil to make the webbing, not super thrilled with the way it turned out but I couldn't think of a better way to do it.

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
Started on a new project today in a 1/24 Lancia Stratos that was an early Christmas present. I may have hosed up doing the body work though. I used permanent marker to highlight the mold lines and some of it was still in a crack on the model before I primed it. The marker has bled through the primer and I知 sure it値l bleed through the white top coat. I知 gonna see if flat white hides it before I do the top coat and failing that I may have to sand and clean the few affected bits before re-priming and painting the color

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

my 2mm:ft layout is slowly coming together, infront is an off-the-shelf wagon that I've used to practise my weathering with:

Untouched example (albeit in oxide rather than grey - which denotes a post-1936 vehicle, since my layout 'end date' is capped at 1936 this means it'll look much newer eventually), comparing the wheel standards of standard N gauge to 2FS too:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Dr. Garbanzo posted:

Started on a new project today in a 1/24 Lancia Stratos that was an early Christmas present. I may have hosed up doing the body work though. I used permanent marker to highlight the mold lines and some of it was still in a crack on the model before I primed it. The marker has bled through the primer and I知 sure it値l bleed through the white top coat. I知 gonna see if flat white hides it before I do the top coat and failing that I may have to sand and clean the few affected bits before re-priming and painting the color

could you put a clear flat coat on the primer to seal the marker in? or do you want to get rid of the primer there too?

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I didn稚 want to get rid of the primer but I知 glad I caught it before I sprayed the color coat. The flat white didn稚 work so I ended up sanding it out and cleaning the grooves out with thinners. Now to reprime so I can do the color when I have time on Monday.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
ModelExpo-Online is having a huge 25% off sale (promo code: 25blowout)

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Southern Heel posted:

my 2mm:ft layout is slowly coming together, infront is an off-the-shelf wagon that I've used to practise my weathering with:

Untouched example (albeit in oxide rather than grey - which denotes a post-1936 vehicle, since my layout 'end date' is capped at 1936 this means it'll look much newer eventually), comparing the wheel standards of standard N gauge to 2FS too:

Good lord. I知 speechless.

I知 tearing my hair out with a 1:700 container ship, I can稚 imagine trying to work with that stuff. Are you a monk or something?

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Anyone ever done anything like this? Any thoughts? Yes, I have a machine shop available.

I'm also looking at some of the stationary steam engine kits. This is a good video of the finished product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hervTRddVJk

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Yooper posted:

Anyone ever done anything like this? Any thoughts? Yes, I have a machine shop available.

I'm also looking at some of the stationary steam engine kits. This is a good video of the finished product. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hervTRddVJk

:staredog:

I've considered making a steam engine from a kit, but... scratch building an entire machine shop... and it all appears to at least move, if not completely function. Amazing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
What would you even make with a mill that size?

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

I like the whistle!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blistex posted:

What would you even make with a mill that size?

That seems like a very inefficient way to split atoms.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

The Locator posted:

I've considered making a steam engine from a kit, but... scratch building an entire machine shop... and it all appears to at least move, if not completely function. Amazing.

I'll probably do just one of the machines to start with. A working steam engine would be pretty cool in the office. As far as what it cuts, maybe a small piece of aluminum? The though part would be grinding the tiny cutter.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I haven't built any models in a while and I'd like to get back into it.

I used to have an external mix, single action Badger 350 airbrush but I'd like to get something nicer. I was looking at a Harder & Steenbeck Infinity Two in One or maybe an Iwata Eclipse CS or HP (not sure what the difference is between the two)

I've read that the H&S airbrushes are really nice they can be difficult to use if you don't have a lot of experience and the Iwata airbrushes are easier to use.

Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations? I build a wide variety of stuff; 1/24 cars, 1/35 military, 1/32 aircraft, etc.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

So, one of our club members likes to dabble in brass:

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

Boomer The Cannon posted:

So, one of our club members likes to dabble in brass:

I really like how the fence looks repaired

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

The Locator posted:

Steam engines from kits are no joke - Stuart Models 'Victoria' is a working stationary steam engine and the parts are 」200. By parts I mean bar stock of steel/iron/brass that you have to fully machine yourself to their instructions. I'm really attracted to the idea of live-steam traction engines and locomotives but it seems that you need to invest at least 」7-800 for your lathe and milling machine to even see if you want to do it, not to mention effectively ending up with a whole engineering shop. The metalwork part of making toy trains for me is a fun PART of the hobby, not the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4_O1dp3ubA

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Started on the accommodation house. gently caress those life rafts. Gonna need to fill the gap on the forward bulkhead and touch up those edges, but I知 happy with how the vents turned out.

Probably a bit too dirtied up for a container ship; but most of my career I was hauling coal and ore so that痴 where I went.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

My cat bought me a gift!

(It was on sale, so I bought it for myself, despite my wife's objections).

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

My cat bought me a gift!

Enjoy the build. I've built it and it is a wonderful little kit.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

My cat bought me a gift!

Cool! It's a tiny little version of the one I'm building right now.. or well.. started to build. I have that kit on my shelf too.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

So I had a plan for a Christmas gift. When I was a wee youngster my uncle gave me a couple built and painted models for christmas a couple of times. One was an Allison turboprop engine, that unfortunately dissapeared during my dark ages of being a teenaged shithead. So I thought this year I'd do a model for him.

I wanted to build his Corvette he's so proud of, but I couldn't find a non-lovely kit of a C5 Corvette. Next idea, during the Vietnam era he was in the Air Force in a munitions loading unit. I wanted to build an F-4 Phantom for him, preferably of the proper year. I even had pipe dreams of doing custom squadron markings so it would be correct.

Yeah, that didn't happen. I finally found a Revell F4 kit on the shelf at a local hobby shop. This kit is...Unfortunate. The fit and engineering of it is hilariously terrible, locator pins either like throwing a hot dog down a sewer pipe, or not even able to fit. Just overall a total joke of a kit, and everything that could go wrong with the paint did.

What I am pleased with though, I decided to build something out of the extra pieces again!

A spare drop tank, a spare set of elevators, an extra vertical stabilizer tip, and some extra bits. I had more fun building this than the actual Phantom. I used it for practice with putty, and managed to blend the wings in pretty good.

We really need a little challenge in here to scratch build something weird out of spare kit parts.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Southern Heel posted:

Steam engines from kits are no joke - Stuart Models 'Victoria' is a working stationary steam engine and the parts are 」200. By parts I mean bar stock of steel/iron/brass that you have to fully machine yourself to their instructions. I'm really attracted to the idea of live-steam traction engines and locomotives but it seems that you need to invest at least 」7-800 for your lathe and milling machine to even see if you want to do it, not to mention effectively ending up with a whole engineering shop. The metalwork part of making toy trains for me is a fun PART of the hobby, not the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4_O1dp3ubA

So no joke, for a brief period before the recession Hornby of all people did live steam locomotives in H0 scale. They were amazing pieces of tiny engineering that used track power to boil water and needed a very careful hand on the controls (to say nothing of thick insulated gloves).

I know this because I own two, and get them out every year as part of Christmas tradition. An H0 live-steam Silver Link is chuffing little circles around me as I type this. I have video and may toss it up later; I didn't technically build it myself (although I have taken them both apart for cleaning and servicing several times). There are larger-scale live steam kits in circulation from companies in the US and France (the French one in particular comes highly recommended) but you need to be comfortable and confident in your skill. You're building small high-pressure boilers and gas burners the same way you'd solder together brass coach bodies or tank hulls. But the payoff is so, so worth it when a steam engine you built whistles and chugs off down the track.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

My parents gave me...a thing

It's got a pretty detailed interior

I'm looking forward to building this silly thing :allears:

I'd never heard of this company but the kit seems well made. The instructions are CG with visible polygons on the edges but they seem decent enough.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Dec 26, 2018

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

Miniart makes good kits.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

The Locator posted:

Cool! It's a tiny little version of the one I'm building right now.. or well.. started to build. I have that kit on my shelf too.

Yeah, this one was on clearance, I think because they've now got the larger one (with guns).

I ordered some tools that are on their way, but I also grabbed the pinnace with the 25% off so I can get used to planking.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Blue Footed Booby posted:

My parents gave me...a thing

It's got a pretty detailed interior

I'm looking forward to building this silly thing :allears:

I'd never heard of this company but the kit seems well made. The instructions are CG with visible polygons on the edges but they seem decent enough.

Miniart is one the top manufacturers of scenery kits, and they dip their toes in to vehicle kits as well. If anything I've heard that Miniart vehicle kits are almost too detailed at times. They sidestep the issue though as their instructions are much better than detailed oriented companies like Dragon, whose instructions are a jumbled mess of 40 steps in one picture and not mentioning some parts are for different variations from different years.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

Decided to pick up one of those JH biplane jigs as a gift for myself. Hopefully it makes biplane alignment a bit easier

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I blame all of you for this, but especially Greyhawk and The Locator

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Yeah, this one was on clearance, I think because they've now got the larger one (with guns).

I ordered some tools that are on their way, but I also grabbed the pinnace with the 25% off so I can get used to planking.

Cool! I have the Pinnace kit also, and even started it, but it's back on the shelf for now. The larger one with guns was (I think) an in-house thing because they don't list a designer for it at all, rather they list the guy who made the proto-type and wrote the instructions (same guy has an amazing book on modeling with brass). I think they upscaled the Chuck Passaro longboat and added details and armament based on an Italian kit that I've seen. Only review I've seen of that bigger armed version looked pretty good, but it was a pre-build review of the kit, so no idea how well it goes together.

The one I'm working on was a new design by Chuck Passaro (who designed your longboat and pinnace), but done without regards to mass producing kits, so it's quite a bit different, and the wood is all yellow cedar, no basswood to be found. -- https://www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com/medway-longboat-1742.php

NTRabbit posted:

I blame all of you for this, but especially Greyhawk and The Locator

Sweet! Doesn't look like you decided to start with simple though, appears to be a small frigate maybe? Hard to tell from your pictures. What kit is that? Japanese kit from Woody Joe, or one of the Chinese companies?

Oh wait.. that's two different kits isn't it?

The Locator fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 26, 2018

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Oh, neat. I remember that syren site, are their tools and parts better? Like the ropewalk?

I don't think I'll need any of that for my first model, but if I start doing more of this I may.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

The Locator posted:

Sweet! Doesn't look like you decided to start with simple though, appears to be a small frigate maybe? Hard to tell from your pictures. What kit is that? Japanese kit from Woody Joe, or one of the Chinese companies?

Oh wait.. that's two different kits isn't it?

Two cheap kits from China that I got while Xmas shopping, they should look like this

The fishing boat one looks the easiest, gonna do that first :buddy:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Dec 26, 2018

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
So out of curiosity, what were wooden ship kits like before laser cutters?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

A blurry photocopy with illegible measurements.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Oh, neat. I remember that syren site, are their tools and parts better? Like the ropewalk?

I don't think I'll need any of that for my first model, but if I start doing more of this I may.

Purely my opinion, but I think his stuff is the best in the market without question.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

Chunks of wood that might or might not be sufficient, and bad plans with poor or non-existent instructions, usually in a foreign language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Miniart is one the top manufacturers of scenery kits, and they dip their toes in to vehicle kits as well. If anything I've heard that Miniart vehicle kits are almost too detailed at times. They sidestep the issue though as their instructions are much better than detailed oriented companies like Dragon, whose instructions are a jumbled mess of 40 steps in one picture and not mentioning some parts are for different variations from different years.

Huh, good to know.

I'm actually working on a Dragon flammanzer III that I want to finish before I build the ball. The instructions are Dragon as hell. Multiple instances of parts magically appearing between steps without being called out; a step with sub-steps in the wrong order; and--my personal favorite--a step where it tells you to cut off and sand smooth some guide lines for lift hooks on the top surrounding the turret, then the paint guide illustrations show hooks attached at those spots. :crossarms:

Edit: Google image search shows the real thing without those hooks, just for the record

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 27, 2018