Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Otteration posted:

Not sure any politician would want to be caught timing a recession. Or what politician could predictably wrangle the end of one in a time frame.

I was being a little snarky about timing. It’s impossible to time a recession, you just hope it happens on the other side’s watch and then make as much political hay as you can about it.

If Trump causes a recession then it’s a multi-stage car crash that takes years to actually happen. We just don’t want that to happen in 2021 because then people will forever equate Trump with good times. He needs to be forced to own his stupidity.

Edit: and never liquidate your well balanced investments. If your retirement is in Sears then by all means cash out immediately, but if it’s in a decent index fund it’s better to ride out the ups and downs. In particular, keep investing even while the market is down.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Dec 24, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Earth posted:

poo poo like this makes me think of putting my 401k into cash to wait this out.

Probably don't, unless you are planning on retiring soon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging

Nutshell: f the markets go down tomorrow, every dollar you put in buys you more pieces of the pie. When the market goes up later, the increased value of your increased slices of pies make you more richer. YMMV.

I'm guessing $ value is unhappy too if you don't like bumpy rides in lovely economies.

Disclaimer, not a happy capitalist, but working in the currents I swim.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Paradoxish posted:

I will never get the line of reasoning where it makes sense to be holding US dollars after some kind of total collapse of the financial system.
Beans and bullets my man.

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
[quote="Krispy Wafer" post="490977750"]
because then people will forever equate Trump with good times. /quote]

I don't think this is a danger.

Except if you're an ultra rich rear end in a top hat or a right-wing grifter.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

haveblue posted:

It’s not so much that he’s run out of good will it’s that he’s about to start hurting all of America in instantly tangible and painful ways, including the rich and powerful who have tolerated him because he’s only hurt others so far.

true. its all because the horrible poo poo has been building and building and now alot of it is imploding all at once. his dumb trade wars and standard GOP economic horse poo poo is starting to go south and while this is happening, he decides to piss off the warhawks and the military. all his corruptions is starting to come out too.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Its less starting to go south and more his decisions have finally stopped tumbling down the poo poo heap and fallen right off the poo poo cliff.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Telsa Cola posted:

Its less starting to go south and more his decisions have finally stopped tumbling down the poo poo heap and fallen right off the poo poo cliff.

and its gonna get worse. he is never gonna get the wall and any chance of him passing poo poo will be neutered in a week and half and with the new house comes new investigations both state and federal.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

enraged_camel posted:

Yeah we should. Now would actually be the perfect time for the economy to tank. It's long enough into Trump's term that the blame can squarely be laid on his shoulders, and he still has enough time left in office where he'll have to live with the consequences of loving everything up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eYcWpgCb7o

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Young Freud posted:

The thing that got me was it last well past the '80s, when the bubble burst. and didn't start falling back until the 2000s.

It is not so much Japan falling but China rising. But since 2009 how much can you trust every GDP report coming from China...

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Z. Autobahn posted:

Oh yeah, for sure, the wild thing is that Trump's biggest failing from a right-wing perspective is that he's NOT hawkish enough. I just think the "Well, Trump's policies are exactly what the Republican establishment wants!" is an inaccurate take that misses the significant ways his choices manage to piss them off (and why they'll likely eventually turn on him, when the cost-benefit calculus shifts far enough to 'cost').

Mild counterpoint: "It's the economy stupid." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It%27s_the_economy,_stupid).

The worst thing the orange turd could do (maybe is doing) is gently caress up conservative (and truly, the rest of our) money. War is just a subset of (money).

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

GoutPatrol posted:

It is not so much Japan falling but China rising. But since 2009 how much can you trust every GDP report coming from China...

There have been estimates that China’s real GPA could be half what it reports. Beating Japan was a big national pride thing so it’s entirely possible they’ve been fudging their numbers.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

That was loving epic

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

I was being a little snarky about timing. It’s impossible to time a recession....

Mild counterpoint: It's easy to throw people into the quagmire. The acting poo poo smear is tariffing us hard down there as we type.

How long and even if both our boots come out of that miasma is another question.

Edit: to be less combative .

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 24, 2018

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Gatts posted:

That was loving epic

Alternative soundtrack options:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7O91GDWGPU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp9xJ9PbclE

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
lol at anyone who is not already worth more than 20 million putting money in stocks or the market who doesn’t know its all a game to take your money away for the already wealthy and elite to play with and separate you from while they get richer.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Even knowing the reasons, it always blows my mind how big the gap was between the US and every other economy was in the post-WW2 world.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Beans and bullets my man.

Condoms and tampons, friend.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The representation of Japan's GDP during the 80's and 90's looks...optimistic (suspicious)?

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1077044397504692227?s=21
Rand ascendant.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Office Pig posted:

Rand ascendant.

His ceiling is limited. Can’t tweet on a Fisher Price phone.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well amazingly we have a positive open so investors aren’t seeing Mnuchins ploy as hiding anything yet.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
People who root for the economy to tank really aren’t thinking of what it does to others. When the economy crashed ten years ago, all the work in my field dried up and never fully grew back. I spent those years utterly destitute, nearly ended up homeless, and only managed to dig out of the debt I accrued a couple of years back.

It’s not just a number or a political point. It fucks up real people who are trying to get by. And you cheering for that doesn’t win anyone to your cause. It just makes us remember how disconnected you are from real pain and suffering in every day life.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Until he ascends another riding-mower and then...well, we all know what happens.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

lol at anyone who is not already worth more than 20 million putting money in stocks or the market who doesn’t know its all a game to take your money away for the already wealthy and elite to play with and separate you from while they get richer.

Gotta a better plan? The revolution protests are kinda stalled, and the $4.20 worth of pennies I flushed down my toilet to cleanse the smear and make me rich via a thing I read on MoneyNow! aren't paying off much this week.

Any plans are good though.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Otteration posted:

The representation of Japan's GDP during the 80's and 90's looks...optimistic (suspicious)?

That was the reason it was called the bubble economy followed by the lost decade.

Zapf Dingbat
Jan 9, 2001

No kidding. The recession was rear end. Don't wish for another one.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Condoms and tampons, friend.
An empty bean can works for both.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/RwCJesse/status/1076545209004163074

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

The war on Christmas

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Because the media doesn't know how to report economic numbers, the Mnuchin thing maybe please stop selling stocks, our big strong president needs to look big and strong and if you aren't constantly going up people might start thinking or economic plans aren't working. The media will probably start questioning the tax bill and the economy if the stock market isn't going up up up.

Or more succinctly, the stock market isn't (the only) indication on how the economy is doing.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
A group of people... and me... :thumbsup:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077048054862278656

Wylie
Jun 27, 2005

Ever to conquer, never to yield.

Please tell me they're not lighting it at night. I want that image to exist very badly.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

It is sad that these evil vile fucks think this stuff is productive and I wish it would backfire on them but drat they rigged the system. The US was a good experiment until Reagan and let’s hope it can right itself after this.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

The Glumslinger posted:

The war on Christmas

It became necessary to destroy the Christmas in order to save it.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Otteration posted:

Probably don't, unless you are planning on retiring soon. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dollar_cost_averaging

Nutshell: f the markets go down tomorrow, every dollar you put in buys you more pieces of the pie. When the market goes up later, the increased value of your increased slices of pies make you more richer. YMMV.

I'm guessing $ value is unhappy too if you don't like bumpy rides in lovely economies.

Disclaimer, not a happy capitalist, but working in the currents I swim.

Funny thing about this:

A lot of companies have started to do 401k matches not as the year goes on but as a lump sum match of all contributions on Dec31st. The thinking is twofold - they don't have to contribute 1¢ to anyone who leaves mid-year and they get to bank, on average, half a year of stock market returns.

Except this year companies that pulled that trick on their employees will be eating approximately a 15% loss.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/SebGorka/status/1075867266825232385

Ague Proof fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 24, 2018

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Paradoxish posted:

I will never get the line of reasoning where it makes sense to be holding US dollars after some kind of total collapse of the financial system.

I worked at a hedge fund in 2008 when the market crashed. Average Joe thinks the market will just fall more. Investors know it’s the time to start buying in. If only I had money at the time to listen to their advice.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Shifty Pony posted:

Funny thing about this:

A lot of companies have started to do 401k matches not as the year goes on but as a lump sum match of all contributions on Dec31st. The thinking is twofold - they don't have to contribute 1¢ to anyone who leaves mid-year and they get to bank, on average, half a year of stock market returns.

Except this year companies that pulled that trick on their employees will be eating approximately a 15% loss.

You don’t understand how 401k matching works.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Astro7x posted:

I worked at a hedge fund in 2008 when the market crashed. Average Joe thinks the market will just fall more. Investors know it’s the time to start buying in. If only I had money at the time to listen to their advice.

You mean...the rich get richer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Paradoxish posted:

Literally never a good idea. If this ever becomes a reasonable thing to do it will instantly stop being reasonable because it means the economic situation is such that your silly American currency is now worthless anyway and we're probably trading bottle caps or something.

Maybe this is the time line where those Iraqi dinar scams will finally be true.