Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
One of the reasons Marvel was able to carve out the niche they did and eventually surpass DC was because the characters did grow and change. And that continued long after Lee And Kirby and Ditko were no longer the only, or even main, storytellers at Marvel. One of the most popular and most important comics of the 80s was Chris Claremont's X-Men, which was constantly changing and evolving and had real character growth (look at Storm, or compare Kitty Pryde when she was first introduced to Kitty Pryde at the start of Excalibur).

Keeping characters stagnant is part of why people stop reading in the first place, and the new young readers aren't flocking to Spider-Man or whatever. They're reading about the new characters who don't have an established status quo and thus are still allowed to grow and change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Remember how happy everyone was when Batman's wedding was blown off?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

cant cook creole bream posted:

Remember how happy everyone was when Batman's wedding was blown off?

Dan Dido: "Yes, but secretly BILLIONS of people agree with my regressive views on aging characters. I won't share my data, but Geoff is gone and Jim is happy as long as comics are as edgy as W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S. so who is going to prove me wrong? Who? You? You are as unimportant and easily forgotten as Jon Kent or should I say Superboy Prime?"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Covok posted:

Dan Dido: "Yes, but secretly BILLIONS of people agree with my regressive views on aging characters. I won't share my data, but Geoff is gone and Jim is happy as long as comics are as edgy as W.I.L.D.C.A.T.S. so who is going to prove me wrong? Who? You? You are as unimportant and easily forgotten as Jon Kent or should I say Superboy Prime?"

I'll always remember he thought Barbara Gordon should be Batgirl again or else we'd get "confused."

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I like Barbara being Batgirl again because I think the Killing Joke is overrated.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

FoneBone posted:

Re: extermination—what about that story from a few years ago where the original X-Men returned to their time but found out they couldn’t go back because “the timeline” or whatever had already replaced them? Did that get retconned?

yeah, X-Men Blue retconned them as being the evil future X-Men from Battle of the Atom, who were using image inducers or whatever to impersonate the O5 X-Men for some reason

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

site posted:

ps vulpes the second ghost panther was very good

Thanks site, I'm just glad that GP is the one I got.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Gaunab posted:

I like Barbara being Batgirl again because I think the Killing Joke is overrated.

:same:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I don't because Cassandra is a better Batgirl.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Roth posted:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Roth posted:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Roth posted:

I don't because Stephanie is a better Batgirl.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I liked Oracle a lot because there aren't enough disabled characters in comics, let alone fairly prominent ones. I liked that she had a long history as Batgirl because the initial story of Oracle as it played out in Suicide Squad was partially about how losing the use of her legs didn't mean the end of Barbara's life, or the end of her heroism. It allowed her to fill a different niche, one that in the early 90s was still fairly fresh, and it was the best way, I think, to make pretty drat delicious lemonade out of The Killing Joke's lemons.

Also, yeah, it indirectly opened up a space for Steph and Cassandra, both of whom were really great as Batgirl, while still giving Babs a distinct and important position in the Bat family. Oracle was just great!

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"There's literally nothing wrong with this, so let's mess it up for fun" is the modus operandi of many a comic book creator

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
There's no reason they all can't be Batgirl (although Barbara should be another Batwoman by now) and there's nothing wrong with Oracle, it's just that the whole taking it from the Killing Joke thing.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Here's a video on Mike Del Mundo (main artist on the current Thor, Black Bolt) drawing a Venom cover, but it get really sweet when we meet his kids - one of whom is a three year old (I'm guessing) break dancer - and find out that he gets his dad to model for him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24gQyRT8Vp0&t=145s

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:49 on Dec 25, 2018

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
:eyepop:

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

big, if true

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

It took me a second to process that instead of thinking it was a joke

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I look forward to a comic on the video game version of Spider-Man, he seemed cool in Spider-Geddon. If it's covering the events of the game even better since I'll never play it.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

You should the game is really loving good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I’m not much of a gamer so I really don’t have any interest. Especially now if they’re doing a comic of the story.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Interested in seeing what they use from the game. Will it just be the game's cutscenes stitched together?

The story told is good but it's not especially intriguing as an Alternate Universe Spider-Man to contrast against 616. There are differences but there's not any big curveball or hook that makes the game character meaningfully different than the regular comic book version. Not any more than any other adaptation, anyway.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

I look forward to a comic on the video game version of Spider-Man, he seemed cool in Spider-Geddon. If it's covering the events of the game even better since I'll never play it.

Video game Spider-Man is a narc.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a good game with a good story. I figure that they'll have to mix it up a little so either Felicia shows up earlier or not at all.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
honestly if you're not going to play the game then just watch the cutscenes or an LP or something

so much of that story is carried by the performances that I can't imagine a comic adaptation not being a total letdown

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It wouldn't be a true adaptation if Peter isn't wearing the punk costume the whole way through :colbert:

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Jiro posted:

Video game Spider-Man is a narc.

I was really disappointed in this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

It wouldn't be a true adaptation if Peter doesn't change costumes like every other page :colbert:

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, if it’s not full of normal every day scenes of terrifying Ghost Riderspider taking selfies and high fiving randos on the street it’s NOT MY PS4SPIDER-MAN

I dunno about this, I think I’d prefer to see things fleshed out in game, it made for nice reveals/surprises.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teenage Fansub posted:

It wouldn't be a true adaptation if Peter isn't wearing the punk costume the whole way through :colbert:

I was delighted to hear JJJ has a special rant if you wear that suit enough.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/Doncates/status/1078088043914018817

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mine's "Infinite Secret Civil War 2"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Skwirl posted:

Mine's "World Secret Infinite Civil Invasion War Disassembled 5: Children of the Apocalypse Atom"

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It'd be cool if the title was actually "You'll See."

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

"BETTER THAN WATCHMAN" will be the subtitle.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
He's asking Donny Cates not Grant Morrison.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so if you ever want to see the allreds take on the ff origin story, it's in today's issue

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

In case you were wondering if Ben Grimm's wedding would buck the trend of 2018's failed comic marriages, it did! Mazel tov!

The bigger news is that Franklin used the occasion to debut a new hairstyle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

go to your room, franklin