Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Zark the Damned posted:

Admittedly mainline GW is at least as bad as FW when it comes to errors. The 8th ed Guard codex shipped with a couple of major errors that apparently no-one caught (I guess because the writers don't know the rules) and required a day 0 FAQ to become functional.

Mainline GW tends to make proofing mistakes.

FW seems to write their rules by flinging their own poo poo at a whiteboard and cackling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I think the horus heresy tourist is adorable. :colbert:

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

30k is being hilariously mismanaged, and its a drat shame.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
If they gently caress up Sanguinius I'mma call the grand 30k experiment done.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
How many rows of base to base plaguebearers can hit a dude using inch within an inch rules? I thought 4 (4th row within an inch of 2nd row which is within an inch of target).
In any case, is the any official clarification? I love my brother in law but if a rule doesn't benefit him directly he needs a thesis explaining why with sources.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zark the Damned posted:

Admittedly mainline GW is at least as bad as FW when it comes to errors. The 8th ed Guard codex shipped with a couple of major errors that apparently no-one caught (I guess because the writers don't know the rules) and required a day 0 FAQ to become functional.

Power Swords having a damage value of 0 in the weapon tables is a proofing mistake.

It doesn't even come close to FW's dumb poo poo like making the Macro weapon type which can only be fired if the unit didn't move, and then giving it to a Flyer with no Hover mode. Or making the melta drill thing on the Termite initially a Pistol so it could fire in combat, but you couldn't fire it with all the rest of that thing's guns when not in combat. Or giving the T'aunar the Battlesuit keyword and letting it use Drone Savior Protocols. Or the Elysian Drop Troops order that turned all weapons into Assault weapons making their pistols and grenades bizarrely ignore the normal restriction on when you can shoot them.

FW does some really dumb poo poo.

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's this about a tourist image?

http://battlebunnies.blogspot.com/2017/02/blooper-is-present-in-inferno-page-44.html

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

The Mordian Doctrine doing nothing by RAW is pretty bad. +1 to hit on Overwatch when the Overwatch rule explicitly says 'only hits on 6 regardless of modifiers'.

Similarly, Voice of Command does nothing RAW when assigned to non-regimental HQs (via the Warlord Trait, which Yarrick has to have) because you can only give orders to the same regiment.

Both of those are on an FW level of incompetence, and were caught immediately by the public but somehow made it through all GW's editorial team and playtesters.

Admittedly I think my favourite FW fubar was on the experimental rules for the navigator back in 7th who could cause units to become pinned (like sniper weapons) without going to ground. In an age when failing a pinning test make a unit go to ground.

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING
That's just what the Prospero locals look like.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Zark the Damned posted:

The Mordian Doctrine doing nothing by RAW is pretty bad. +1 to hit on Overwatch when the Overwatch rule explicitly says 'only hits on 6 regardless of modifiers'.

I'm pretty sure that was the first modified Overwatch in any codex, so I'm a little more lenient on them loving up the exact wording to accomplish the same thing. The intent there is beyond obvious.

Zark the Damned posted:

Similarly, Voice of Command does nothing RAW when assigned to non-regimental HQs (via the Warlord Trait, which Yarrick has to have) because you can only give orders to the same regiment.

Likewise an intent being obvious instance where the technical writing failed to keep up. It's really easy to miss these when you know how it's supposed to work and playtest it how it's supposed to work. :v:

EDIT: to be clear, GW's technical writing suffers sometimes and they could definitely use someone with a finer grasp of it for pushing products out the door. But I can't really agree that those two slightly wrong phrasing jobs is anywhere close to FW's numerous fuckups.

Zark the Damned posted:

Both of those are on an FW level of incompetence, and were caught immediately by the public but somehow made it through all GW's editorial team and playtesters.

Neither of those are even close to making a weapon type that can only be fired if the model it's on didn't move, and then shoving it on a model that is required to move or it is destroyed. That's not a technical writing mishap, it's not understand how the game works. Worse, it's not understanding how the rules FW wrote for FW things work. You could argue that there's a clear intent there, but the clear intent is muddied a little bit by "why the gently caress is it Macro in the first place then?"

Zark the Damned posted:

Admittedly I think my favourite FW fubar was on the experimental rules for the navigator back in 7th who could cause units to become pinned (like sniper weapons) without going to ground. In an age when failing a pinning test make a unit go to ground.

The Elysian Drop Troop order turning a squad of guardsmen into a grenade spewing turbo-guns monstrosity is probably my favorite, but the Termite originally not being allowed to disembark transported models due to the timing of when it arrived and when troops are supposed to disembark plus lacking the rule the drop pod uses to get around that.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It would just be all nids in 50k I guess.

Nah, the Tau will create the genophage and Nids will become surly, but likeable mercenaries

Ghazk
May 11, 2007

I can see EVERYTHING

Harvey Mantaco posted:

It would just be all nids in 50k I guess.

The Hormagaunt Heresy

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Strobe posted:

Neither of those are even close to making a weapon type that can only be fired if the model it's on didn't move, and then shoving it on a model that is required to move or it is destroyed. That's not a technical writing mishap, it's not understand how the game works. Worse, it's not understanding how the rules FW wrote for FW things work. You could argue that there's a clear intent there, but the clear intent is muddied a little bit by "why the gently caress is it Macro in the first place then?"

The Xenos index was hilariously bad on release too. On the same page you had:
Malanthropes granting -1 to hit on nearby models rather than units
A Dimachaeron weapon that becomes double strength on a 6+ to wound

The Tyranid section alone received more errata than it had unit entries.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

Harvey Mantaco posted:

How many rows of base to base plaguebearers can hit a dude using inch within an inch rules? I thought 4 (4th row within an inch of 2nd row which is within an inch of target).
In any case, is the any official clarification? I love my brother in law but if a rule doesn't benefit him directly he needs a thesis explaining why with sources.

The key is that the second row is itself within 1 inch, and so the fourth row would be within one inch of the second row.

Here's a post explaining it. Ignore the OP being a douche about a 25mm base being less than 1', and look at the top response math nerd complete with chart.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WarhammerC...um=comment_list

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Hixson posted:

30k is being hilariously mismanaged, and its a drat shame.

Just be rid of Tony Cottrill and it'll be a massive improvement.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Zark the Damned posted:

At least GW has the sense to put out a day 0 FAQ and clean up their mistakes. Props to them.

FW is filled with colossally incompetent idiots who can't get basic things right, and for putting out their wild broken poo poo they get a standing ovation from their cheerleaders.

lovely tourists are just scrapping the surface of FW's dumb poo poo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So my (insert adjective here)bois rode again today

-Very briefly-

I had a game lined up w/ a local who plays custodes, we had decided on 1000 points prior since it's what I had but we changed it up to 1200 to accommodate his contempter lookalike he had just gotten. I had no problem with that since I had the models handy, I threw in a primaris squad, whirlwind and a few assault marines to shore up the numbers. We tried the data mission from chapter approved.

My boys, add a whirlwhind

Terrain was really well done, Haven't played on many GW standard tables, old gaming store was cut foam core and lovely flock. Went well with my paint and his

We rolled the deployment where everyone has to just be as far away from the center of the board as possible, diagonal from edge to edge, which was unlucky for me. I tried to space my boys out so that there would be a tempting target to steamroll in the center, with the idea I'd pick off his wings and win on objectives, I figured his list would definitely get into combat on a 4x4 with this deployment so I was just hoping to snag a lot of points.

Deployments:

It was all over by turn 3. Combination of truely breathtakingly awful rolls on lascannons (I got 16 lascannon shots off and forced 3 saves, for 2 wounds total), under-estimating charge rolls (banking he wouldn't roll over 9), etc etc etc. My ploy for points might have worked if my fire on his flanking units would have died a little quicker, by the end of turn 2 I had 8 points to 2. I wasn't tabled by turn 3, but he had near total board control and would have had more points by turn 5.

Fun game, nice guy, feel like it would have gone his way no matter what but it could've been more interesting I could have done a little more damage.

His MVP was his standard bearer, going from 3+ to 4+ on shooting meant the difference in a lot of my failed hits, so many 3s.

Mine was the pred, the autocannon doing flat 3 damage accounted for almost all of his casualties.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Your space bois color scheme is the perfect camouflage for that board

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Bad luck, gorgeous models.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
More gorgeous models, more self-conscious shame about my dumb camo T'au. :v:

I need to get a good picture of them before New Years rolls around; hopefully I'll have a thousand points of them done by then.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
What's with the fortune cookie scroll under the flyer

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Harvey Mantaco posted:

What's with the fortune cookie scroll under the flyer

It was just there for friction. It kept sliding down the hill.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

I briefly got into Warhammer in 2005, with the Battle for Macragge set, a Tau box, and a hand me down Imperial Guard box I never did anything with. I didn't get very far with it, and the Battle for Macragge minis are lost to the sands of time. I discovered my brother had them at his place, so I got them from him today.

Check out this THICK THICK paint. Youtube didn't exist yet, video paint tutorials were kind of non-existent. It was hard to figure out how to do this stuff then, and you can tell I got frustrated based on the half assembled devilfish.

None of these are my paint jobs. I don't even know if you can play Tallarn Desert Raiders anymore, I haven't seen any models like this recently.

2005 era paints. Probably all dried out.
[itmg]https://i.imgur.com/hOpqqAL.jpg[/timg]

The little advertisement book from then is fun to at.
WEB SITE

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
and his name was TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/12/23/23rd-dec-coming-your-way-this-christmasgw-homepage-post-1/

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Unnngh goddamnit all I want for Christmas is some Primaris non-Repulsor vehicles.

Give me:
1. A light vehicle/Landspeeder analogue
2. Any drat chassis that'll fill the role of an Autocannon Predator that doesn't involve Littlebois. (I'm very tempted to just scratchbuild something and play it as counts-as)

E: Ooooh.... https://www.shapeways.com/product/MEJQPZCW9/hover-rhinoceros-conversion-kit

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Oooooohhh

I want a couple.

Also anyone know of the best 3rd party transfer site?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

poo poo. That's a nail in the coffin for the Vostroyans.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

moths posted:

Now do one for Mordians, I've always wanted a CP battalion of them

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

moths posted:

Nah, it's a test run if anything. If they sell like crazy, they'll come back later. Smart way to gauge demand, honestly.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
I'm on board, was considering a small guard detachment and this is excellent. Сила Марса!

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
Its Christmas eve here and I totally should be wrapping presents and doing up xmas cards but instead I am working on painting assholes......shiny yellow assholes, this is what my dudes look like before I weather them up and make them all dirty if anyone was interested.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

OhDearGodNo posted:

Oooooohhh

I want a couple.

Also anyone know of the best 3rd party transfer site?

I don't know about 'the best', but I've used Chapter Customizer in the past and they're pretty good.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, it's a test run if anything. If they sell like crazy, they'll come back later. Smart way to gauge demand, honestly.

I hope you're right. Limited-run troops seems like the Praetorian Guard all over again.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Weren’t those Vostroyans still on the webstore up until a few months ago.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

They were yes. But I guess they were requested enough for them to bring them back as Cast on Demand thing.

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Cooked Auto posted:

They were yes. But I guess they were requested enough for them to bring them back as Cast on Demand thing.

I keep hoping they put out some of the old sister's stuff on Cast on Demand, I really want a sister hospitaler but don't wanna pay 65 for it and one of the worst models in the game. I don't care how good the dialogous is now, that model is just awful! I should probably look for a counts as model or something for it.

Oh well, I really shouldn't be hoping on old models when the new ones are on the horizon a year or so from now.

Edit: Well after taking like 30 seconds to look, Inquisitorial Acolytes fit the diaglous bill really well. Now I just need a nun medic.

Cainer fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Dec 24, 2018

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Cainer posted:

I keep hoping they put out some of the old sister's stuff on Cast on Demand, I really want a sister hospitaler but don't wanna pay 65 for it and one of the worst models in the game. I don't care how good the dialogous is now, that model is just awful! I should probably look for a counts as model or something for it.

Oh well, I really shouldn't be hoping on old models when the new ones are on the horizon a year or so from now.

Edit: Well after taking like 30 seconds to look, Inquisitorial Acolytes fit the diaglous bill really well. Now I just need a nun medic.

I'm not saying you should do this, but if someone turned up to a game with a Space Marine apothecary that had a green stuff habit modeled on I would instantly buy that person a beer.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

adamantium|wang posted:

and his name was TROGDOOOOOOOOOOOOR!

This is hot btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Killer_Bees! posted:

Its Christmas eve here and I totally should be wrapping presents and doing up xmas cards but instead I am working on painting assholes......shiny yellow assholes, this is what my dudes look like before I weather them up and make them all dirty if anyone was interested.

Looks like you decided not to bother with the flying bases ... I'm probably going to steal this.