Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Got Samurai Warriors 4-2 in the end. I really like the visuals, the leveling system and the faster pace of the combat! I absolutely detest Naotora Ii and this may be the hardest my tolerance for anime has ever been tested. At first I thought they were like, I dunno, brother and sister with Naomasa? But nope, turns out she's her mother :lol: I could look past the cheesecake default costume (which I hate but whatever, Diaochan's kinda on the same boat) if it weren't because of the constant apologizing. I don't think I've ever disliked someone in a Musou game as much as I dislike her, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
It's really super dumb and awful.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
If it bothers you so much, just use the DLC costume (it's a bath towel)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Worst part is I really like her moveset :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Warriors Orochi 4 is surprisingly great and unlike every other recent Warriors game it even runs reasonably well on PC, which is amazing.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I greatly enjoy the part where a historical figure powers up.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Having an absolute blast with WO4, though I wish Hundun would gently caress off and let me get on with things. I feel obligated to kick him around every time he shows up!

Reive
May 21, 2009

Are there any recent warrior clones I have missed? I've played Fate Extella, haven't got around to importing Gintama Rumble yet.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Uh, I guess Extella LINK is out in the west in a couple of months

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Dec 26, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Athena is laughably broken.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Azran posted:

Got Samurai Warriors 4-2 in the end. I really like the visuals, the leveling system and the faster pace of the combat! I absolutely detest Naotora Ii and this may be the hardest my tolerance for anime has ever been tested. At first I thought they were like, I dunno, brother and sister with Naomasa? But nope, turns out she's her mother :lol: I could look past the cheesecake default costume (which I hate but whatever, Diaochan's kinda on the same boat) if it weren't because of the constant apologizing. I don't think I've ever disliked someone in a Musou game as much as I dislike her, goddamn.

Naotora Ii is, bar none, the worst character in a Musou game. Sadly she's treated like a mainish character in Warriors Orochi 4 and gets lots of screen time, thus making WO3U even better.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

She's good

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
She's fine other than her undying skill in All Stars. She looks like fun in DOA5 though I never bought her.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Hey I just want to take a moment to say Find The Beauties is the most bullshit stage I've done so far in Dynasty Warriors 8 XL. After all the chasing people around for 20 minutes so they wouldn't leave the stage, I get a loving DPS CHECK????? I had no idea I was meant to be max level or whatever to get all the 6 star weapons. Oh god I have to do this three times???

Edit: For some reason my lvl150 with a 5 star weapon officer does like 1/100th of these super buffed unit commanders, but the other three dudes with me and my bodyguards take like a fourth of their health with a single hit. Whatever.

Azran fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Dec 29, 2018

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I don't recall having any trouble with that one. But I don't exactly remember the gimmick

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And done with all three characters.

Honestly once you know where stuff spawns it's mostly easy, just time consuming. Fastest run took 20 minutes. The issue is the very last fight before Lu Lingqi, where you have around a minute or so to defeat three super buffed unit commanders that take next to no damage from a lvl150 character swinging 5 star weapons around. The trick there is save scumming till the AI does all the work for you (kill the chaff yourself) because they do insane amounts lf damage to them and also use weapons that generate lightning on hit, that takes a chunk of their life. It's kinda absurd tbh unless I'm missing something really obvious.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh geez...

I completely forgot how...unfortunate Xingcai's DW8 costume is but WO4 made sure to remind me.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Azran posted:

three super buffed unit commanders that take next to no damage from a lvl150 character swinging 5 star weapons around.
I just reran this and didn't have too much trouble. Yeah they were super defensive and blocking all the time, but they die quick if you can break the block. Cai on horseback kinda does that though I guess.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

lurksion posted:

I just reran this and didn't have too much trouble. Yeah they were super defensive and blocking all the time, but they die quick if you can break the block. Cai on horseback kinda does that though I guess.

:psyduck: I don't get it. Even while hitting their unprotected back I barely scratched their health bar unless I proc'd lightning strikes. A fully charged Rage musou would leave them just a little bit below half health. Considering how small the time limit is, it was pretty crazy unless you realize the AI trick (this is Hard Mode btw).

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Azran posted:

:psyduck: I don't get it. Even while hitting their unprotected back I barely scratched their health bar unless I proc'd lightning strikes. A fully charged Rage musou would leave them just a little bit below half health. Considering how small the time limit is, it was pretty crazy unless you realize the AI trick (this is Hard Mode btw).
Probably proc elemental I guess? I dunno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNXyw1tv0U (Chaos, poo poo recording, forgot to turn off the rescaler)

This is using the L6 weapon, I dunno why I don't have a L5 one, but it must have existed for me to get the L6 at some point.

lurksion fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Dec 31, 2018

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Never really noticed before but after some loving around with all sorts of equipment and skills it looks like weapon attributes/elements and all that gubbins definitely goes some way to killing them a lot faster.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

lurksion posted:

Probably proc elemental I guess? I dunno
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBNXyw1tv0U (Chaos, poo poo recording, forgot to turn off the rescaler)

This is using the L6 weapon, I dunno why I don't have a L5 one, but it must have existed for me to get the L6 at some point.

Why exactly was the last explosion of the combo doing that much damage to them, is it some trait in particular or just a property of the move itself? Outside of that, same experience really.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

For a Hyrule Warriors fan would I be better off with 8 Extreme Legends or Orochi 4?

How does 8 handle unlockable stuff?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

For a Hyrule Warriors fan would I be better off with 8 Extreme Legends or Orochi 4?

How does 8 handle unlockable stuff?

8XL has a poo poo TON of content. You play Story mode stages (there's Wu, Shu, Wei, Jin, Other and Lu Bu), which unlocks them for Free Mode. Story mode stages may have optional objectives that affect following missions (such as 'Do X to keep X from dying like their historical counterpart). Towards the end, the story branches off into an If hypothetical branch and the historical branch, each with their own endings. All of the factions also have an Xtreme Legends line of missions that focus on other scenarios and the new characters added in XL, available from the get-go. Then you can play Ambition Mode, that consists of two different stages (build up your town and then fight against a fake ruler while gathering all of your allies again). Ambition Mode gives you access to a ton of gold, exp/stat-boosting items and better mounts/weapons. Then you can also try for 5 and 6-star weapons by doing entirely different objectives with certain characters in certain missions.

DLC adds like 30-40 more stages on top of all that. It's pretty wild and a ton of fun. It's a shame 8: Empires is supposedly bad because I would have loved to see a better Ambition mod.

Honestly I'd recommend waiting for Orochi 4 Ultimate or whatever. Apparently the game's lacking in replay value.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Azran posted:

8XL has a poo poo TON of content. You play Story mode stages (there's Wu, Shu, Wei, Jin, Other and Lu Bu), which unlocks them for Free Mode. Story mode stages may have optional objectives that affect following missions (such as 'Do X to keep X from dying like their historical counterpart). Towards the end, the story branches off into an If hypothetical branch and the historical branch, each with their own endings. All of the factions also have an Xtreme Legends line of missions that focus on other scenarios and the new characters added in XL, available from the get-go. Then you can play Ambition Mode, that consists of two different stages (build up your town and then fight against a fake ruler while gathering all of your allies again). Ambition Mode gives you access to a ton of gold, exp/stat-boosting items and better mounts/weapons. Then you can also try for 5 and 6-star weapons by doing entirely different objectives with certain characters in certain missions.

DLC adds like 30-40 more stages on top of all that. It's pretty wild and a ton of fun. It's a shame 8: Empires is supposedly bad because I would have loved to see a better Ambition mod.

Honestly I'd recommend waiting for Orochi 4 Ultimate or whatever. Apparently the game's lacking in replay value.

Cool! I was gonna ask about a potential Orochi 4 expansion so I guess that's a good answer then.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Cool! I was gonna ask about a potential Orochi 4 expansion so I guess that's a good answer then.

Buying DW8XL does mean you'll get more content, by far. That's the better pick right now.

To be clear, there is no word on whether there will be a WO4 expansion. At this point, it's an open question.

Either way, I think the base game isn't super short or anything. They have been adding little things with updates and yes, DLC. Presumably they'll at least continue with that if the sales are good enough.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Go home Auto-Ride, you're drunk

Azran fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 1, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Azran posted:

Go home Auto-Ride, you're drunk

Cao Cao's not drunk

A lot of people just happened to mention his name

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
DW9 (trial experience only) autopathing also manages to get you stuck in objects. It really is terrible.

Also, no idea on the burst damage in DW8, I presume its from weapon activations.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I'm legit impressed about the number of improvements they've made to the game since release, given its catastrophic launch. They moved road bases around so you wouldn't get stuck THAT often (it used to happen every single time, now it's just uncommon) while auto-riding and they had a really sad Wei-Wu naval battle in one of the chapters halfway through the store, which was just a bunch of barges with people on top. They changed it so that there are ACTUAL WARSHIPS now and it wasn't even mentioned in the patch notes.

Reive
May 21, 2009

Azran posted:

I'm legit impressed about the number of improvements they've made to the game since release, given its catastrophic launch. They moved road bases around so you wouldn't get stuck THAT often (it used to happen every single time, now it's just uncommon) while auto-riding and they had a really sad Wei-Wu naval battle in one of the chapters halfway through the store, which was just a bunch of barges with people on top. They changed it so that there are ACTUAL WARSHIPS now and it wasn't even mentioned in the patch notes.

Is it worth playing now? Does it still run like grabage?

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013
I have no idea whats going on in towns that I get 45 fps on a 1070, so yes it presumably still runs like garbage. No idea how it was on launch.

Strangely actual battles do better.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I had to turn dynamic shadows down to Medium (plus disable reflections, grass and particles - didn't notice much of a difference really) and I get a solid 60fps on a 1060. That said I had to install it on my SSD because of the load times and that made pop-in issues noticeably less frequent. I wouldn't say it runs great (there are still some bizarre bugs like the game closing itself if you click on another window before it fully launches in fullscreen) but it runs definitely better.

As for whether it is worth playing, depends on what you're looking for. It's very much a 'make your own fun' kind of game for me, due to how you can bypass a ton of fighting by just heading straight for the boss. I think the combat system is fun and different and character visual design is top notch but I certainly miss some stuff from 8 like doing missions for 5 and 6 star weapons and the non-skippable battle objectives. If 8 had Xun Yu it'd possibly be my favorite game in the series, alas they left him for the crappy Empires version :(

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Downloaded DW9 Demo to see if they made any improvements to the performance. It still runs like trash.
On my i5-4670K and GTX 1060 even minimum settings constantly dip to 40 fps, even when literally nothing is happening. It's especially sad when you're in a battle with like 12 vs 12 guys.

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Azran posted:

If 8 had Xun Yu it'd possibly be my favorite game in the series, alas they left him for the crappy Empires version :(

I've clocked up some 60 hours in Empires and despite his addition being one of the (supposed) main draws of the game, I still haven't bothered with using Xun Yu (or not that I remember at least), because I'm a DW3-era pleb with dug-in habits who still invariably plays Lu Bu and/or Xiahou Dun through most of the campaign in any of the Empires games.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

Downloaded DW9 Demo to see if they made any improvements to the performance. It still runs like trash.
On my i5-4670K and GTX 1060 even minimum settings constantly dip to 40 fps, even when literally nothing is happening. It's especially sad when you're in a battle with like 12 vs 12 guys.

I've got a GTX 1060 and a i5-8500 and it runs without dips as long as I don't have shadows or particles on. The game being inconsistent in that regard doesn't surprise me one bit though. I tried playing split-screen coop the other day and the second player has basically no ambient lightning on their screen. So instead of being everything being brown and shiny because of the setting sun, everything appeared dull and grey. :allears:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I pretty much have to run DW9 at minimum settings to prevent it from turning into a slideshow in combat. It makes it feel like I'm playing DW3 all over again.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Azran posted:

I like how the story always ends up with Hanbei dying as a wizened old man despite looking like a 12 year old with a yoyo.

Naotora Li is practically the main character of Orochi 4 which kind of sucks.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Main girl should be Wang Yuanji from now on, in every game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Takoluka posted:

Main girl should be Wang Yuanji from now on, in every game.

Wang Yi, actually.