Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

davidspackage posted:

Yes

I'm entirely willing to believe the book handled that better.

From what I gather from the synopsis, she doesn't give them names because emotional attachment is a luxury in the condition they're all in. Like, why give them a name when you could be killing them minutes later when their blindfold slipped?

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I watched it last night after learning Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross did the score for it. I thought it was just okay.

Did they really do the score or is this like Ken Burns' Vietnam where I can pick up every bit of music they recycled from Ghosts I-IV?

Young Freud fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Tars Tarkas posted:

I haven't seen a Transformers film since somewhere in the middle of 2 and I'm going to see Bumblebee this week, so yes, you have to now!

Even the people I follow on twitter who love the Bay films and thought Bumblebee would be trash loved it, it's a rare film that has united fandoms

I think this is called "being a good movie"

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It's almost like maybe judging a movie based entirely on the trailer isn't always a good call?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
No one judged it by its trailer but I respect your commitment to your gimmick.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Check out how bad this promo looks

https://twitter.com/aquamanmovie/status/1075148888888115200?s=21

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Young Freud posted:

Did they really do the score or is this like Ken Burns' Vietnam where I can pick up every bit of music they recycled from Ghosts I-IV?
I thought their music from Ken Burns' Vietnam was pretty awesome, but if you thought that was recycled from Ghosts, you'll definitely think that about Bird Box's score.

There isn't even a soundtrack album for Bird Box on Spotify like there is for Ken Burns' Vietnam or their recent score for Jonah Hill's Mid90s.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I refuse to watch Bumblebee just on the ground that they had the talent and resource to make a good Transformer movie but they made 4 extremely loud and obnoxious movies to milk the international market anyway.

Btw I got news for you Aquaman is very mediocre. It's on the Transformer (2007) level of loud and blunt. I wouldn't be surprised if James Wen go on to make 2 more sequels and milk the hell out of it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

tino posted:

I refuse to watch Bumblebee just on the ground that they had the talent and resource to make a good Transformer movie but they made 4 extremely loud and obnoxious movies to milk the international market anyway.

Btw I got news for you Aquaman is very mediocre. It's on the Transformer (2007) level of loud and blunt. I wouldn't be surprised if James Wen go on to make 2 more sequels and milk the hell out of it.
Bumblebee has a completely different director/cast than the previous 5 Transformers movies tho (except for the voice of Optimus Prime)

And yeah, Aquaman was pretty mediocre. It was better than the likes of Batman v Superman and Suicide Squad, but that's not a high bar to clear.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

tino posted:

do you think america doesn't like loud movies

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I thought their music from Ken Burns' Vietnam was pretty awesome, but if you thought that was recycled from Ghosts, you'll definitely think that about Bird Box's score.

There isn't even a soundtrack album for Bird Box on Spotify like there is for Ken Burns' Vietnam or their recent score for Jonah Hill's Mid90s.

I don't want to badmouth their collaboration work together, but it seems at a point, that most of their work now is just reissuing stuff from Ghosts. At first, it was a couple songs on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo along with new work, but I end up turning off The Vietnam War halfway because it felt like there was nothing new I was hearing from them.

And I don't hate Ghosts I-IV, because I love it and whenever it comes up, like when they show up in two The Raid films unannounced. But it feels like it's the same songs that are getting reused, too, like nothing of Ghosts III 24, which should have been that COD soundtrack that Trent had worked on.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

The Cameo posted:

Big deaths bring ratings and get talked about. “Joe moved to Idaho” doesn’t move the needle for sweeps.

It's also a great way to write out a character in such a way that they absolutely cannot weasel their way back into the production (Kevin Spacey in House of Cards to use a more recent example).

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

It's also a great way to write out a character in such a way that they absolutely cannot weasel their way back into the production (Kevin Spacey in House of Cards to use a more recent example).

And you'll notice they never did that Doug Ross on E.R., because there was always a hope that George Clooney would come back (and he did, for a few special episodes).

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

If only that had worked with Denise Crosby on TNG :x

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

even a character dying doesn't mean the actor can't show up again if everyone's on board, to bring things back to kal penn on house

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Young Freud posted:

I don't want to badmouth their collaboration work together, but it seems at a point, that most of their work now is just reissuing stuff from Ghosts. At first, it was a couple songs on The Social Network and The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo along with new work, but I end up turning off The Vietnam War halfway because it felt like there was nothing new I was hearing from them.

And I don't hate Ghosts I-IV, because I love it and whenever it comes up, like when they show up in two The Raid films unannounced. But it feels like it's the same songs that are getting reused, too, like nothing of Ghosts III 24, which should have been that COD soundtrack that Trent had worked on.
Right, I kind of agree. A movie having a Trent Reznor/Atticus Ross score doesn't seem to mean as much now as it did like 7 or 8 years ago. They've done scores like Patriots Day and even Gone Girl which I never revisit like I do with the Social Network/Dragon Tattoo scores.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Brother Entropy posted:

even a character dying doesn't mean the actor can't show up again if everyone's on board, to bring things back to kal penn on house

Oh yeah definitely. That's the great thing about fiction, death is only as permanent as the writers/producers/fans want it to be.

On that note, I would bet good money that Mark Hamill shows up as a super Force Ghost or something in Episode IX.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh yeah definitely. That's the great thing about fiction, death is only as permanent as the writers/producers/fans want it to be.

On that note, I would bet good money that Mark Hamill shows up as a super Force Ghost or something in Episode IX.

Hamill was already announced as part of the cast in the first press release.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Luke outright told Kylo he was going to haunt him at the end of TLJ.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Casimir Radon posted:

Luke outright told Kylo he was going to haunt him at the end of TLJ.

I'd love it if Episode IX was just Force Ghost Luke loving with Kylo in increasingly absurd ways.

Like he's trying to go to bed while Ghost Luke is singing Jedi Rocks at the top of his lungs.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

CharlestheHammer posted:

No one judged it by its trailer but I respect your commitment to your gimmick.

I've been right with it at least once and that's enough for me to stick with it.

Arguably twice

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Force Ghost Luke is going to gently caress with Kylo Ren by stacking chairs on a table and giving him frightening hallucinations of tearing his own face off, Poltergeist-style.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

I'd love it if Episode IX was just Force Ghost Luke loving with Kylo in increasingly absurd ways.

Like he's trying to go to bed while Ghost Luke is singing Jedi Rocks at the top of his lungs.

Luke and Adam Driver doing the Slings And Arrows routine would probably be fun.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Mary Poppin only made 22 mil over the weekend. Guess your sad sad plot doesn't work Disney!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

tino posted:

Mary Poppin only made 22 mil over the weekend. Guess your sad sad plot doesn't work Disney!

The plot wasnt that sad actually, there was never a doubt they'd get the house back

Also its been selling out in downtown seattle like crazy

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3QGyBY5-c

This is pretty spot-on if you're on the fence about seeing Aquaman

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mary Poppins also managed to edge out Bumblebee by just about a million dollars.

Aquaman though is almost at 500 million worldwide thanks to its two weeks head start in China.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

tino posted:

Recall though that the best bit of the original was feed the birds and the hosed up banker

Chimney lyfe ain't nuthin to gently caress with either

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Where did the Spiderman cartoon fall in all this, is it going good? I want much more of the Spiderman cartoon

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Where did the Spiderman cartoon fall in all this, is it going good? I want much more of the Spiderman cartoon

Right now it's at over 129 million worldwide.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

They're already making the Spidey sequel so no worries. I'd like for it to make all the money too though.

But I'm pretty sure it will get nominated for and should win best animated movie so Oscar buzz should help it as well.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
The twist in Aquaman is huge, you will never see it coming. Willem Dafoe is not a bad guy. He’s a good guy the whole time!

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU3QGyBY5-c

This is pretty spot-on if you're on the fence about seeing Aquaman

Why would i watch a 30 min review before a 2.5 hour film

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

got any sevens posted:

Penance

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

got any sevens posted:

Because it’s more entertaining than the 2.5 hour film

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

Force Ghost Luke is going to gently caress with Kylo Ren by stacking chairs on a table and giving him frightening hallucinations of tearing his own face off, Poltergeist-style.

Kylo Ren tries to give a rousing speech to his men, Luke tweaks his nose, pulls his underwear and starts pulling on his arms to make him knock poo poo over

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
A movie with Ghost Force Luke loving with Kylo would be awesome. I think Mark Hamil would really enjoy that and get into it and Adam Driver would be totally sold on having fun with it

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

davidspackage posted:

Kylo Ren tries to give a rousing speech to his men, Luke tweaks his nose, pulls his underwear and starts pulling on his arms to make him knock poo poo over

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McLean Stevenson leaving MASH and the characters hearing over the radio that his character's helicopter was shot down over the South China Sea with absolutely, positively, no questions about it no survivors.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

They didn't hear it over radio, Radar told them. It's like the most memorable scene in all of MASH and you blew it! :cmon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/johnny-depp-dropped-from-pirates-of-the-caribbean-franchise-disney-producer-confirms