Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I have been gifted sparkling cider and would like to figure out a use for it (I enjoy cider, but not that which makes me burp).
Thoughts? Pork marinade mayhaps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos

Keyser_Soze posted:

Cholula has a smoked chipotle hot sauce that's perfect for bloody mary's.

Habanero-based Yucateco "Black Label Reserve" is quite smoky, too. I've never tried it in a Bloody Mary, but I bet it'd be good.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Stop smoking lovely canned tomatoes, use fresh ones

Nah, you're better off using canned tomatoes instead of fresh for anything outside of salad-style stuff unless a) it's actually prime tomato season where you live at the moment, and b) you live fairly close to an area that actually grows good, field ripened tomatoes.

Basically any can of whole tomatoes is going to be far more flavorful than either the hothouse stuff you get at the supermarket year round or field-grown varietals that are bred to last, picked green, and shipped a thousand-plus miles.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

marshalljim posted:

Nah, you're better off using canned tomatoes

They don't absorb smoke as well and they taste like metal.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

They don't absorb smoke as well and they taste like metal.

Good canned tomatoes don’t taste like metal. Not sure if the smoking brings that out or something.

Or tell that to every Italian restaurant who is flying in canned San Marzano tomatoes for their basic red sauce.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

sellouts posted:

Good canned tomatoes don’t taste like metal. Not sure if the smoking brings that out or something.

Or tell that to every Italian restaurant who is flying in canned “San Marzano” tomatoes for their basic red sauce.

They sure hope they are.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sellouts posted:

Or tell that to every Italian restaurant who is flying in canned San Marzano tomatoes for their basic red sauce.

Everything I eat that uses canned tomatoes tastes like they used canned tomatoes. It's a very obvious and off-putting flavor.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Everything I eat that uses canned tomatoes tastes like they used canned tomatoes. It's a very obvious and off-putting flavor.

try some that are not in the yellow can

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Try going to a nicer than average Italian restaurant and enjoy a good red sauce, my guy.

https://passporttoeat.com/2016/01/13/for-billionaires-and-babes-the-perfect-pasta-sauce/

If Del Posto is using them, clearly it’s not the canning process that is the issue.

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

lifts cats over head posted:

Smoked tomatoes question. Twice now I've tried to make a smoked bloody mary mix and both times i've been met with very off putting flavors. First trial smoked a can of whole peeled roma tomatoes over applewood for about 2 hours. The second attempt I roasted them first and then cold smoked them with apple pellets for about 2-3 hours. Both times they created very off putting flavors. Could it be the aluminum pans I'm using? Right now that's my only theory.

Don't smoke the bloody mary mix or tomatoes. Smoke the ice. Here's the recipe I used for smoked bloody marys. They were really delicious.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
If you use good canned tomatoes and cook them properly they don't retain any metal flavor.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I should note that I am spoiled with prolific tomato plants in my back yard. I've got a roasted poblano/tomato sauce in my fridge right now.

I've got a post itt showing the smoking process for tomatoes I had in tortilla soup.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Dude just admit that maybe you might be making too grand a statement. Good canned tomatoes are good enough for 2 and 3 michelin starred restaurants.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

sellouts posted:

Dude just admit that maybe you might be making too grand a statement. Good canned tomatoes are good enough for 2 and 3 michelin starred restaurants.

It still tastes like metal.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
No they don’t. At all.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

FFS, smoking thread

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It still tastes like metal.

The can of DOP San Marzanos I just opened has a plastic lining so the tomatoes aren't even in contact with metal. That's not uncommon in any way.

ada shatan
Oct 20, 2004

that'll do pig, that'll do

Suburban Dad posted:

FFS, smoking thread

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Chemmy posted:

The can of DOP San Marzanos I just opened has a plastic lining so the tomatoes aren't even in contact with metal. That's not uncommon in any way.

Also tons of aluminum cans have polymer film coatings on the inside surfaces. This is a moronic series of posts even for the gitmo theater thread, though.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
I just smoke the cans.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Porchetta - sous vide and sear it hot and fast over lump charcoal. Might get a little smoke but I doubt that much.

Thoughts?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I don't recall any metallic taste in that lasagna I smoked. :v:

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

sellouts posted:

Porchetta - sous vide and sear it hot and fast over lump charcoal. Might get a little smoke but I doubt that much.

Thoughts?

seems like all that rendered fat is going drip and start a lot of flare ups

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
I’m going to try smoking the ham for Christmas Day. Anyone have any tips?

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Likely going with this for ours:
https://heygrillhey.com/twice-smoked-ham/
Except the one I got is not pre-sliced because I chunk up leftovers and use in split pea awesomeness.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 21, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Pre-cooked? It is hard to gently caress them up so roll with what you are thinking.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

A store where I used to live in Austin had an in house smoker, and.they would sometimes do a ham. Thay poo poo was loving amazing!

Tender, moist, smoky as poo poo and you deffo did not need a.knife to eat it.

I miss that ham....:btroll:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Put a bird under it. My dad has put a turkey under one and said it was the best turkey he's had.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Use the glaze / things to make sure it doesn't dry out

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Hasselblad posted:

Likely going with this for ours:
https://heygrillhey.com/twice-smoked-ham/
Except the one I got is not pre-sliced because I chunk up leftovers and use in split pea awesomeness.

Did this today and it came out fantastic. In fact I am going to have to save the glaze recipe for pulled pork.
In fact the glaze would kick rear end on burnt ends.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Dec 23, 2018

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Not pre-cooked, I’m not sure you can get that in the UK.

I did a small test just after I posted: soaked for 24hrs and then smoked with applewood till the internal temp was 70c.

Seems to have worked and was still moist. Not much of a visible smoke ring but you could definitely taste it

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Not pre-cooked, I’m not sure you can get that in the UK.

Weird. Or not weird. Here in the states you gotta bend over backward to get a "fresh" ham.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My big plan to finish the SV brisket on the smoker this morning was foiled by the fact that my smoker is frozen shut. I spent 15 minutes on it with the heat gun to no avail, so I guess I’m finishing it in the oven. :negative:

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Trying my first attempt at brisket tonight. I have a 5 lb and 7 lb flat, and dry rubbed with salt and pepper last night. Plan to to put them on my WSM at 225 at about 9pm tonight, and have them ready in time for dinner at 5 on Christmas Eve. Not sure if I should foil or not yet as I think I have time to be flexible. More worried about ruining all this meat.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Do you have a cooler? If not, get one.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I won a yeti in a raffle last summer and it and some towels work great keeping pork butt hot, so that was my plan if I finish at 9am or something.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

My big plan to finish the SV brisket on the smoker this morning was foiled by the fact that my smoker is frozen shut. I spent 15 minutes on it with the heat gun to no avail, so I guess I’m finishing it in the oven. :negative:

Hah, I had the frozen shut thing a couple weeks ago with my keg. The result was me taking in into the garage and putting the heater on it for a day or so to get it warm enough to re-glue the gasket back on.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I'm going to be doing a pepper stout beef for Christmas, and I was wondering, when you get to the phase where you finish in the smoker/oven covered, would there be any difference finishing in a slow cooker? It would make transporting the dish and keeping it warm for the pot luck a lot easier.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

arisu posted:

I'm going to be doing a pepper stout beef for Christmas, and I was wondering, when you get to the phase where you finish in the smoker/oven covered, would there be any difference finishing in a slow cooker? It would make transporting the dish and keeping it warm for the pot luck a lot easier.

It will be fine. Don't overthink it based on your convenience. Folks will be still be amazed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thoughts for time on a 10-11lb prime rib @ 275?

Or any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
I did a small one for Thanksgiving. I pulled it at 125F then direct heat to finish. Takes about as long as any other piece of meat 1-1.5 hrs per pound.