Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

hangedman1984 posted:

Beto is basically a white Obama, charismatic speaker, talks a good game, but will govern like a milquetoast moderate.

His voting record seems to imply he's pretty right wing hence the freakout over any actually vetting of him. If he was just a moderate I don't think the third way would be quite as terrified of anyone looking into him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

haveblue posted:

A judge could enjoin Trump from firing Powell if he goes to court over it and Trump fails to come up with a good enough cause. Imagining what this would do to the markets is left as an exercise for the reader.

I don't think the economic disaster would wait for the court verdict.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Obligatory reminder:

https://mobile.twitter.com/brianschatz/status/1077216458411626496

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We need a line for if trump fires the Fed Chair today because Mnuchin and Mulvaney’s little stunt didn’t do much.

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

eyebeem posted:

The company is matching the % of your salary that you contributed. Fluctuations in the market have literally zero bearing on what the company plops into your 401k.

If you contribute 5% of a $50,000 salary to get a 5% match from your company, your company will match your $2,500 regardless of any market movement.

They aren’t matching the present value of your investment at the end of year. You don’t know how 401k matching works.

I understand that you are looking at this from the perspective of “the company lost out because they invested” but that’s not really an informed assumption. Much more goes into valuation of carried capital than just potential gains from Investment.

Source: lots of Finance education, work experience, and stupid little acronyms after my name.

I'll take your word for it Mr. Acronym, maybe in future you can dispense with the poo poo-posting snark of your first response ("you dont understand how 401k matching works) and skip straight to this kinda stuff, needlessly aggressive though it still is.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

It’s pretty amazing that we got to see the markets rise -> cut taxes for the rich -> markets fall cycle inside one year.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Solkanar512 posted:

I’m almost certain that I heard on the news that officials confirmed that the chair couldn’t be fired by the president.

He can't, unless the SCOTUS rules that independent agencies are fundamentally unconstitutional. Kavanaugh has expressed this belief, but Thomas has expressed otherwise, and most of the justices probably won't want to open that can of worms even if it's the "correct" decision. Same deal with West Virginia.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jealous Cow posted:

It’s pretty amazing that we got to see the markets rise -> cut taxes for the rich -> markets fall cycle inside one year.

That reminds me - remember all those “tax cut bonuses” companies were giving employees last year? Wonder whatever happened to those.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

tax cuts never work!

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

DaveWoo posted:

That reminds me - remember all those “tax cut bonuses” companies were giving employees last year? Wonder whatever happened to those.

They gave them! Once! And now the company is keeping all the money they saved forever from here on out.

mrfreeze
Apr 3, 2009

Jon Arbuckle: Master of pleasuring women

Ripoff posted:

Even though we cant afford
The DOW is over,
The DOW is over,
I don't want to see you go,
The DOW is over
The DOW is over.

I just want you to know this made me smile and also got the goddamn song stuck in my head.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077212559604924416 https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077217178322194432 https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077223213598429185 Trump keeps loving that chicken.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

Trump!

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Groovelord Neato posted:

tax cuts never work!

That's not true. Tax cuts on the poor and middle-class work, because they simply up their consumption. Tax cuts on the rich don't work because they simply buy more stocks.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it was iran's money jesus christ you loving idiot.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Oh Eric

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clear case of voter fraud, then

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought they hated non citizens voting.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

The companies made so much money they could have easily kept giving out lovely little bonuses and bought cheap PR since the media is desperate to help them out while still coming out massively ahead. However even that was too much good will from them and it was better just to go full gently caress it greed.

The need to feel persecuted while not actually facing any actual persecution.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077225810329825281

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
Santa is not a US citizen. Either a resident of the North Pole or Greek, depending on how scholarly you want to get.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

lol he's so loving pathetic.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://mobile.twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1077225810329825281 Jesus.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

pseudanonymous posted:

That's not true. Tax cuts on the poor and middle-class work, because they simply up their consumption. Tax cuts on the rich don't work because they simply buy more stocks.
The share of tax cuts going to the poor and middle class is always so inconsequential in comparison to what the rich get, that "tax cuts" and "tax cuts for the wealthy" mean exactly the same thing.

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

BarbarianElephant posted:

Santa is not a US citizen. Either a resident of the North Pole or Greek, depending on how scholarly you want to get.

Turks would contest that.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Rip Testes posted:

Turks would contest that.

Fine, they can have it.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

A lot of people are so bad off that tax cuts for them are insignificant, especially in contrast to consumption taxes which aren't touched or the general expensiveness of being poor.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

I hope that fuckwad is killed in a mass shooting.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

DaveWoo posted:

My company actually gave them out, sort of, then had massive layoffs last month. In order to get the stock moving? It was brutal. It kind of worked, but the stock is already headed back to where it hovered for two years.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

How many people can be individually responsible for this thing he thinks happened?

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

VH4Ever posted:

I hope that fuckwad is killed in a mass shooting.

This poo poo for real pissing me off.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DaveWoo posted:

the media class literally didn't understand bonuses were one time things

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Simiain posted:

I'll take your word for it Mr. Acronym, maybe in future you can dispense with the poo poo-posting snark of your first response ("you dont understand how 401k matching works) and skip straight to this kinda stuff, needlessly aggressive though it still is.

Also rereading it now that I've had a bit of coffee it is kind of missing my point.

Let's take a single paycheck in June as an example and assume I'm contributing $100 which is being matched.

In traditional matching I would put in my $100 and the company would put in their $100 in June. In the new system I would put in $100 in June and they would put in $100 on Dec 31st, unless I was fired or quit mid year (in which case I keep my $100 but get no match).

In the traditional matching I get all of the returns on and take all the market risk for $200 in June, but in the new system from June-Dec I only get returns and take risk on $100. The market could go to the moon or to zero in November and the company would still have to put in exactly $100 on Dec 31st.

My point was (based on some articles which may or may not be right) that part of the appeal of this new system was that from June-Dec the company would be investing their $100 match with the expectation of keeping any returns. This year however even relatively safe investments have taken a hammering so unless they literally just put the cash in a standard deposit account it probably lost money and they will have to top it up to meet their $100 obligation.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ummmmmm

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
We have the real life, old, white version of President Camacho.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Radish posted:

His voting record seems to imply he's pretty right wing hence the freakout over any actually vetting of him. If he was just a moderate I don't think the third way would be quite as terrified of anyone looking into him.

And by his own admission Obama was to the right of Reagan.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

DaveWoo posted:

My wife's employer keeps sending these letters touting new benefits they are claiming to implement because of the tax cuts. It is mostly a paltry amount of parental and disability leave.

Meanwhile raises for staff were capped at ~1.5% and the company just spent several billion dollars acquiring other companies.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

SirPablo posted:

President Camacho cared about the well-being of the people, and deferred to the judgement of experts instead of his own gut feeling. We'd be way better off with Camacho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ashleyfeinberg/status/1077227121838309383

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

SirPablo posted:

May god strike you down for comparing Trump to Terry Crews