Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

I do declare, I have the vapors!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Slim Pickens posted:

God drat, I wanna go to bomber camp

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://twitter.com/michaelkeyes/status/1075861516891684870?s=21

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Man John Wick 3 took a bit of a dive

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Star Wars kid is done with your poo poo

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

cool synthwave

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Was cringing the whole time waiting for him to blast his own leg / arm / head

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Same, but the camera guy

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it
I wasn't cringing as much as hoping.

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Flikken posted:

I wasn't cringing as much as hoping.

Same. Also how do you convince someone to be your cameraman for that? Asking for a friend.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

This is the sort of guy who will be shot dead in his first real mugging.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

CommieGIR posted:

This is the sort of guy who will shoot his own leg and bleed out in the street in his first real mugging.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

CommieGIR posted:

This is the sort of guy who will be shot dead in his first real mugging.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZptIb82dtk

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Those butt straps really lift his cheeks in a flattering yet tactical fashion.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

No one's gonna hit that back and forth strafe, man. He's like Neo with that poo poo.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Jokes on everyone that guy is a mossad kidon. More wet work than the whole cast of Baywatch combined

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
Just some father and son bonding

yes that's the king abdullah of jordan with the crown prince

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 25, 2018

Riot Carol Danvers
Jul 30, 2004

It's super dumb, but I can't stop myself. This is just kind of how I do things.
I mean dude is a fully qualified jumpmaster too

Knives Amilli
Sep 26, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

God drat, I wanna go to bomber camp

that 3400 price tag :(

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

WAR CRIME SYNDICAT posted:

I mean dude is a fully qualified jumpmaster too

And a Cobra pilot, and did a bunch of poo poo in tanks, and was a Lt on USS Voyager.

Pretty well-rounded military career, really.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Isn’t he an F-16 pilot too?

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
Yeah but does he maintain his own weapons?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6T70YSBtE

One could say this is macho posturing, but being leader of any nation in the Middle East is a good reason to stay in shape and know how to handle yourself in a coup.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
:( my dad never took me to the urban combat center for move and shoot drills

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
i think the king of jordan is the one with the really hot wife, too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

King of Jordan owns. Dude seems just blessed really.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

I know some dudes who work in Jordan training their SOF on marksmanship and CQB. They were actually at the range when this happened- a bunch of SUVs pulled up and guys told them the range was now closed as they started setting up tents and pop-ups. They wandered away, smoked some cigars and watched as the royals pulled up and went to work. Apparently they’re both good shooters and competent at handling their weapons.

As far as Middle Eastern monarchies go, the Jordanians are probably the least worst of them. It’s for that reason KSA has really been trying to pull them (and Morocco) under their thumb in the Gulf Cooperation Council.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Wasn't it also some previous King of Jordan that was such a trekkie nerd that he lobbied for and got a role as an extra in Voyager?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Wasn't it also some previous King of Jordan that was such a trekkie nerd that he lobbied for and got a role as an extra in Voyager?

Same dude

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fa6T70YSBtE

One could say this is macho posturing, but being leader of any nation in the Middle East is a good reason to stay in shape and know how to handle yourself in a coup.

At the very least it ensures that your security detail is gonna go down swinging. USSS assigned to trump might be professional but any marine security detail assigned to mattis would start suicide bombing people if needed

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Jordan is the best Arab country. It’s a shame they’re so drat poor and choked with millions of refugees caused by other people’s wars.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

pantslesswithwolves posted:

As far as Middle Eastern monarchies go, the Jordanians are probably the least worst of them. It’s for that reason KSA has really been trying to pull them (and Morocco) under their thumb in the Gulf Cooperation Council.

whoever came up with trying to get Morocco into the Gulf Cooperation Council needs to take a look at a map

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

DownByTheWooter posted:

whoever came up with trying to get Morocco into the Gulf Cooperation Council needs to take a look at a map

This, but with Turkey and half the former-Warsaw Pact states in NATO

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

DownByTheWooter posted:

It's part of the caliphate still

MrDesaude
Sep 10, 2013

Have you tried lighting incense and praying to the Omnissiah?

45 ACP CURES NAZIS posted:

At the very least it ensures that your security detail is gonna go down swinging. USSS assigned to trump might be professional but any marine security detail assigned to mattis would start suicide bombing people if needed

Pretty sure any detail assigned to Mattis would start suicide bombing if needed.
I'm an Army Vet, and I would follow him into hell with nothing but a sno cone and an MRE spoon...

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Spoiler alert: America followed him into hell.

All of this reinforces my notion that trying to be the “good guy” working from within is more often a lie and/or justification than it is actually virtuous and effective.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

What was it about Mattis that reinforces that idea?

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Godholio posted:

What was it about Mattis that reinforces that idea?

Generally speaking, I think we'd be hard pressed for any clear evidence that his decision to serve this admin, deploy troops to the border, etc, substantively tempered the president's goals. If I had to guess, (and of course any conjecture is a guess), Mattis was self-confident enough and self-assured enough to think that his service is part of the greater good. But more often than not, such inclinations are likely folly.

See also: every other "adult in the room" who has since quit, been fired, or outright been shown to be a piece of poo poo. I'm not saying Mattis is bad. I just think he thought his service was a net good, and maybe it was, but it's more likely that if it was a net good, that was more out of overconfidence than out of virtuous reason.

E: More cynical take: He retired, worked for criminal shill-farm Theranos, then went to work for the current admin. That's not a great look at his ability to judge good leadership.

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 26, 2018

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I would make the opposite case. Trump's got pieces of poo poo running every other department, like Nielsen at DHS. We've seen what happens when these people are let loose with the kinds of vague and legally dubious (at best) orders he gives. Just look at what CBP has been doing. You don't think John Bolton or someone like Gorka running DOD would've turned troops on the border into an absolute fiasco?

The very fact that the deployment came and went with no more significant headlines than at any time previous presidents have ordered such a deployment is evidence enough for me that Mattis was running interference; the contrast to everything else Trump's people have touched is rather stark. DOD is the one department that has not been wracked by scandal, blatant corruption (beyond the usual), or active undercutting of civil liberties.

The other alternative is that we got lucky, and having the DOD run by a guy with a reputation for level headedness and measured steps was just a coincidence.

Edit: Yeah Theranos is pretty lovely, but if we're holding out for Jesus-level perfection in government we might as well just hold our own heads underwater and get it over with. I'll take what I can get at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Again, we could've done far, far worse than Mattis. But what if supposed principled people like Kelly, Mattis, and Flynn had not taken jobs, but had instead actively refused to work with Trump and talked poo poo pre-election instead of working with him or staying quiet until accepting political appointments from him after the fact?