Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Who's this now?

For some reason I had it in my head that Ellen Muth did that vehicular manslaughter but it was Rebecca Gayheart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

bell jar posted:

Man, Into The Spider-Verse is chock full of subtle little movie moments. Like in the introduction for the first spidey he does the emo Tobey Maguire dance from Spiderman 3

"We don't talk about that."

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Shaun of The Dead

The one armed zombie in the beginning (who is a one-armed model in real life) is behind Shaun in the convenience store in the scene before.

I never caught it despite him being dressed for a wedding party, lapel flower and all.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Inzombiac posted:

Shaun of The Dead

The one armed zombie in the beginning (who is a one-armed model in real life) is behind Shaun in the convenience store in the scene before.

I never caught it despite him being dressed for a wedding party, lapel flower and all.

They replay the whole street/convenience store routine from the previous day, just with zombies. I think all the people he interacted with are there.

heckyeahpathy
Jul 25, 2013
In Widows, Viola Davis' character tells her team "If things go bad, you're on your own," which is precisely why Liam Neeson's character betrays her to start a new life. It's a big point of the movie, but you don't realize it at the time.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008

Len posted:

Can we restart the timeline to where Pushing Daisies was the Dead Like Me sister show it was planned as?

Also a timeline where Dead Like Me didn't end and get that follow up movie that was just bad?

We got an episode of Bryan Fuller's other show Hannibal that guest-starred Ellen Muth and was basically "All the fantastical elements of Dead Like Me, but actually Georgia Lass was just insane the whole time."

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Not a movie, but in the Father Ted Christmas Special ('A Christmassy Ted'), at one point, 8 priests find themselves lost in the Ireland's largest lingerie section during Christmas time. While trying to escape, one priest hurts his eye when a bra that he's messing with snaps back and hits him.

About 20-25 minutes later, when Ted and everyone are getting set up for the Golden Cleric ceremony, that same priest, who hasn't been mentioned whatsoever since, can be seen in the background with an eyepatch on.

I love this show so much, especially this episode.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Inzombiac posted:

Shaun of The Dead

im not confident enough to say all, but a lot of the zombies you see clearly later in the movie show up earlier in the movie still alive

shaun of the dead has a whole bunch of subtle moments, references, and wordplays, the thread is full of them

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
You could really have a whole thread just for subtle moments in Edgar Wright movies

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Coffee And Pie posted:

You could really have a whole thread just for subtle moments in Edgar Wright movies

Was driving to pick up a friend from Bristol airport yesterday when he said his plane was delayed, so made a detour to Wells (where they filmed Hot Fuzz). Weird how it's laid out a bit differently to how you'd expect (I hadn't been there since I was a kid).

Nice pub. No crusty jugglers, though there was a man in a kilt playing the banjo, and a hoodie on the fountain (my mate)

(Can never work out how to imbed images on my phone)
https://imgur.com/a/FYCDzfn

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

This thread goes over them on a regular basis, maybe we're about due again.

Thing is, as often as we do, I still learn something new every time.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

The bokeh (light reflection thingy) in the Scott pilgrim bus scene changes during the conversation. Ramona has x, which change to match Scott's hearts when theyre about to kiss.

https://youtu.be/KWz6iVw2vxQ

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

One other thing in Shaun of The Dead

When the jukebox plays Queen and people are hitting the barkeep to the rhythm, David is hitting the fuses also to the rhythm.

Never caught that second part before but I have the musical acumen of a dead dog.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
Into the Spider-Verse is really really good, guys. And it's jam-packed full of subtle (and not-so-subtle) things. One of my favorites (and currently thread-topical) is a billboard in MIles's Times Square advertising a sequel to Shaun of the Dead sequel called From Dusk Till Shaun.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

There’s also a Lincoln Kennedy Clone High movie in there as well and now I’m SUPER bummed that will never be a thing.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

My Lovely Horse posted:

what a scrub, hasnt seen shaun of the dead enough times to get all the-

Inzombiac posted:

One other thing in Shaun of The Dead

When the jukebox plays Queen and people are hitting the barkeep to the rhythm, David is hitting the fuses also to the rhythm.

Never caught that second part before but I have the musical acumen of a dead dog.

:aaaaa:

i always just assumed it was a joke about how people do stupid poo poo when they're panicking

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
“Kill the Queen!”
“What?”

That movie is perfect.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Polaron posted:

Into the Spider-Verse is really really good, guys. And it's jam-packed full of subtle (and not-so-subtle) things. One of my favorites (and currently thread-topical) is a billboard in MIles's Times Square advertising a sequel to Shaun of the Dead sequel called From Dusk Till Shaun.

Simon Pegg actually wrote a treatment for a Shaun Of The Dead sequel called From Dusk Till Shaun but never followed it up so it looks like Miles lives in the alternate universe where it did get made, which makes it a superior reality to the poo poo hole we're stuck in.

Also seconding that Into the Spider-Verse is really really good.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The scene in SotD where they pass another group of survivors has the cast of all the big UK TV comedies of the time - Spaced, Black Books, Little Britain, The League of Gentlemen and The Office.
Tyres, a recurring character from Spaced, also shows up as a zombie in front of the Winchester.

The subtlest for cameos was Hot Fuzz which had Peter Jackson as the Father Christmas who stabs Nicholas and Kate Blanchett as Nicholas' girlfriend

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

bitterandtwisted posted:

The scene in SotD where they pass another group of survivors has the cast of all the big UK TV comedies of the time - Spaced, Black Books, Little Britain, The League of Gentlemen and The Office.
Tyres, a recurring character from Spaced, also shows up as a zombie in front of the Winchester.

The subtlest for cameos was Hot Fuzz which had Peter Jackson as the Father Christmas who stabs Nicholas and Kate Blanchett as Nicholas' girlfriend

It took me way too long to realize the close-up on his hand knocking when that cutaway happens is to show the scar. That’s also why he’s always shown using one of those hand strengthening things.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Interviewer: "How did you get Cate Blanchett to do that one little cameo?"

Wright: "I'd met her in LA and knew that she was a fan of Shaun of the Dead, so that was kind of a start. The first thing we wrote in Hot Fuzz is the kind of the girlfriend scene with the CSI sort of [setup]. The first joke was basically that you have an emotive scene with him saying farewell to his girlfriend and being very sentimental and you can't see her face. [...] In a weird way this whole Cate Blanchett thing was sort of a slight kind of joke on that. ‘Let's get an Oscar winner in there but not see her face.’ And she was totally up for that joke. She loved it. And for the record - and this is why Cate Blanchett goes to heaven - she gave her fee to charity. She is one nice lady.”

Aww, Cate, you're dreamy :)

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

That whole scene is fantastic. Dave’s “Hello there” right after Bob’s dismissal is wonderful.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

That whole scene is fantastic. Dave’s “Hello there” right after Bob’s dismissal is wonderful.

Everyone sighing when he mentions the window gets me every time.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Nth Doctor posted:

Everyone sighing when he mentions the window gets me every time.

I always took their responses as "wait, really?" noises, indicating nobody had noticed until he pointed it out because he's just that good at being a policemanofficer

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

plainswalker75 posted:

I always took their responses as "wait, really?" noises, indicating nobody had noticed until he pointed it out because he's just that good at being a policemanofficer

That's my take, too

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

I just checked (it's on netflix) and yeah, everyone else is surprised at the unexpected twist in the case, while cate blanchett sighs because it shows that even when his heart is supposed to be breaking he's still a cop first and a human second

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
The whole reason he gets sent away is because he’s so good he makes everyone else look bad.

You could say he’s a real seven letter word for a system of government, characterised by extreme dictatorship when it comes to following the law.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Oh my God.

He's a model cop, sent to a model town, that has a model of the model town in it.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Krispy Wafer posted:

The whole reason he gets sent away is because he’s so good he makes everyone else look bad.

You could say he’s a real seven letter word for a system of government, characterised by extreme dictatorship when it comes to following the law.

DUTERTE ?

Queen Combat
Dec 29, 2017

Lipstick Apathy

bony tony posted:

Oh my God.

He's a model cop, sent to a model town, that has a model of the model town in it.

But then he breaks the model, and becomes an ever better cop slash person for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
At the end of the film he's literally a big cop in a (very) small town.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

bony tony posted:

Oh my God.

This guy gets it!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Creed is so loving good. Watched it for the third time the other night and never noticed that when Adonis is first shown shadowboxing along with footage from the first fight, he's fighting against his dad, not Rocky.

It's a theme of the entire film but somehow I missed that touch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I just love that opening fight where it’s one continuous shot for the whole fight. It’s so good.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I think that's the second fight overall, his first professional fight.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Watching Shaun of the Dead again tonight.

When Shaun is giving the pre-opening talk to his co-workers, he's playing with his red pen and ends up throwing it off camera, likely breaking it.

Then when he puts it in his pocket you can hear the cap come off setting up his having red on him.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Nth Doctor posted:

Watching Shaun of the Dead again tonight.

When Shaun is giving the pre-opening talk to his co-workers, he's playing with his red pen and ends up throwing it off camera, likely breaking it.

Then when he puts it in his pocket you can hear the cap come off setting up his having red on him.

In the same scene one of Shaun’s subordinates is on the phone and says “he’s only got a Henry” (1/8th oz of weed). Later, Ed is on the phone and you hear him tell someone “I only have a Henry myself.”

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Coffee And Pie posted:

In the same scene one of Shaun’s subordinates is on the phone and says “he’s only got a Henry” (1/8th oz of weed). Later, Ed is on the phone and you hear him tell someone “I only have a Henry myself.”

The call with Ed saying that happened before Shaun went to work. The implication is that Ed is dealing to Shaun's 17 year old co-worker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really love drug slang the world over.