Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

doomrider7 posted:

In Japanese? If so nice catch. I'll need to read my volumes again to see if they did that. And yeah he largely seems indifferent about his gender. I'd really like to hear from the author about this.

I can't say for sure personally since I can't read Japanese, but the fan translation mentioned it a couple times in translation notes I think. I can't find it quickly enough here at work to show it, though.

Edit:

IShallRiseAgain posted:

In volume 4, he mentions a bunch of times that he is a male, and is mildly pissed off at people misidentifying his sex.

Yeah, though it's more about being called a child. I went back and checked the fan-translation of that point manga since I thought they went farther there, and there is a little more about not being a girl than I thought (a bit when he gets to Ingracia, Brumund he only mentions it once at the end of a full chapter being called a girl) so I'm just projecting a bit I guess. It's still more about being underestimated, and he doesn't actually care enough to change anything though.

Onean fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Iirc at one point he says he doesn't like going full female because it makes him look too much like shizu.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Iirc at one point he says he doesn't like going full female because it makes him look too much like shizu.

If he sicced Great Sage on it he could undoubtedly customise the form to look like someone else.

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
I think this was covered in the thread but not in the anime. Regarding changing forms in excess of his original slime mass: he has to expand magicules to compensate for any additional mass, so adult form would take more to maintain its shape versus staying child form

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

UchihaHirou posted:

I think this was covered in the thread but not in the anime. Regarding changing forms in excess of his original slime mass: he has to expand magicules to compensate for any additional mass, so adult form would take more to maintain its shape versus staying child form

Great Sage made a mention of the magicules, but not the upkeep cost

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

UchihaHirou posted:

Along with it as mentioned in the LN, he also suffers some lag in both perception and input so no way he makes those kinds of conssecions for some something that's purely cosmetic hence why he keeps his child form as his default when going human.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I'm glad the series is already making bank, because that means they'll continue with it. It's ahead of Attack on Titan, that's impressive!

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Also seems it'd be cheaper than something like AoT? There's still action set pieces, but they're not the main focus. People come to see Rimuru making and chatting with friends, which has gotta be easier on the animation budget.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Skippy McPants posted:

Also seems it'd be cheaper than something like AoT? There's still action set pieces, but they're not the main focus. People come to see Rimuru making and chatting with friends, which has gotta be easier on the animation budget.

It also has varied cast to make merch from. Big chunk haven't been shown though. Whole series reminds me of One Piece in some ways. Like how it's overall very upbeat and focuses on characters whom are fundamentally good, kind, decent people if very unusual and quirky.

As an aside, reading the LN again and yeah Rimuru doesn't seem to care or be bothered about what gender he's perceived as. Only that people keep treating him like a kid.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Skippy McPants posted:

And an amorphous blob would be much cheaper than a humanoid.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

“Stop! STOOOP!”

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Is there still people doing the watch-a-long on new episodes? I might be available for once.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Conot posted:

Is there still people doing the watch-a-long on new episodes? I might be available for once.

I'm not gonna be able to do it this week I think, but I can provide the link to it when it's up. Just remember, you'll need an account to Rabbit to watch.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Showing starts in 5 minutes starting I think with previous episode. I'll provide the link when it's ready.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Link is up.

https://lets.rabb.it/7mw5XJeDUS

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

The watch along stream is gonna start the new episode in 3 minutes or so.

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

:stare:

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
Gabil was legit loving badass here. Everything went about as badass as expected and I loved how they rendered Benimaru's Hell Flare's and Ranga's Death Storm. It's not explained in the anime, but the reason he evolved is due to having been inside of Rimuru's shadow so much that he absorbs the magicules that he(Rimuru not Veldora) leaks and powered up from that. One thing though, in the manga Rimuru is wearing the mask to hide his aura and takes it off later when he fights so it's a bit of hole there. Nothing or major significance, but still something I noticed.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 24, 2018

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Skippy McPants posted:

Probably not, the animation quality is way better than Attack on Titan (Unless AoT's animation quality increased for later seasons). That also probably means that its going to be a bit of a wait between seasons though.

Alfredo Jones
Jun 5, 2011

Pretty please with sugar on top?
If there is one thing about this show that I love, it's the audio design for the fight scenes. Every blow and every magic spell sounds meaty and impactful. It really helps to sell the power behind these attacks.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't wait to see the end of this fight animated. (future spoilers) Two monsters whose special skills are devouring and regeneration having an eating contest is metal as hell. :black101:

Sindai fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Dec 24, 2018

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Probably not, the animation quality is way better than Attack on Titan (Unless AoT's animation quality increased for later seasons). That also probably means that its going to be a bit of a wait between seasons though.

but really

https://i.imgur.com/TfLQnLz.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/aPimPdi.mp4

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
So hyped for my Kijin buddies to get their revenge.
And I keep underestimating Gobuta. Guy is legit badass.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
I like Gabiru and his friends and want them to live and realize how idiotic they have been. When the tide turned against them Gabiru's first order was to harden up their defenses and protect the goblins instead of abandoning them, Gabiru and his friends are good people even if they are frequently dumb and overconfident.

I also got a kick out of Rimuru going :stare: at the same time I was going :stare:. I was expecting more trouble from the orc army than they seem to be having. Like it would take Rimuru and allies dropping in behind enemy lines, and the Kijin hold off the army while Rimuru fights the lord and eventually wins thus canceling the buff on the orcs allowing the allies to disperse and defeat them.

Meinberg
Oct 9, 2011

inspired by but legally distinct from CATS (2019)
I think this episode highlights a theme of the series that I quite enjoy. While Rimuru is quite powerful personally, his greatest strength comes from forming alliances and bringing out the best in his subordinates. Before they met Rimuru, the ogres were easily overcome by the orc army, now that they've evolved into kijin thanks to Rimuru's support, they're easily able to overcome that threat. There's not a lot of risk at play here, it's clear that Rimuru's side is going to win, but that's not what the fights are here for, I don't think. They're here to show growth (and it helps that the magical effects have some decent punch thanks to good quality animation and excellent quality sound design)>

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
Yeah actually the sound design is the thing I might be most impressed with in this episode. The sound of the sylphide (slyphid, probably?) attacking was definitely not something I was expecting, and it was actually super good, and everything else from there on just owned really hard. Just a whole lot of substance in all the effects.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I like Gabiru and his friends and want them to live and realize how idiotic they have been. When the tide turned against them Gabiru's first order was to harden up their defenses and protect the goblins instead of abandoning them, Gabiru and his friends are good people even if they are frequently dumb and overconfident.

I love that Gabiru is actually a good, heroic guy, he's just a little dumb in some ways.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Meinberg posted:

I think this episode highlights a theme of the series that I quite enjoy. While Rimuru is quite powerful personally, his greatest strength comes from forming alliances and bringing out the best in his subordinates. Before they met Rimuru, the ogres were easily overcome by the orc army, now that they've evolved into kijin thanks to Rimuru's support, they're easily able to overcome that threat. There's not a lot of risk at play here, it's clear that Rimuru's side is going to win, but that's not what the fights are here for, I don't think. They're here to show growth (and it helps that the magical effects have some decent punch thanks to good quality animation and excellent quality sound design)>

"It's not some kind of special power, but [Luffy] has the ability to make allies of everyone he meets. And that is the most fearsome power on these high seas!"
— "Hawkeye" Mihawk , One Piece

Same applies to Rimuru.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's the talky bits that make it feel earned. The show uses a few tricks to make otherwise standard things feel fresh and it seems to work pretty well.

If I can make a controversial comparison, it's kind of what Bleach could have been like if they made their cast actually matter.

Even Rimuru observing from on high seems to be thinking "what even is this, it's not even fair"

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Mordaedil posted:

Even Rimuru observing from on high seems to be thinking "what even is this, it's not even fair"

And then Rimiru turned to Veldora and asked "Are we too OP?"

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

doomrider7 posted:

"It's not some kind of special power, but [Luffy] has the ability to make allies of everyone he meets. And that is the most fearsome power on these high seas!"
— "Hawkeye" Mihawk , One Piece

Same applies to Rimuru.
Yeah except Slime Isekai as a show does it way better. :colbert:

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Everyone's attack on the orcs was even cooler to see than I expected, all those black fire nukes going off all over the place were great. The reaction shots on lizards to Souei were super good too.

As fun as it's been so far there's lots of good stuff coming up too, man this is gonna be fun. I'm so glad that the Kijin princess' sleeves remained long so that I can't even have that bug me about this fine show.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Was Re Zero ever this popular?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Grouchio posted:

Yeah except Slime Isekai as a show does it way better. :colbert:

Slime's biggest advantage is that it takes the time to have Rimuru sit down and chat with prospective and active allies to get to know them, who they are, what they want etc. It's probably the most obvious part that makes people complain about pacing. One Piece is in constant motion, and the Strawhats rarely slow down to talk to each other in any depth, never mind new allies. Most scenes where allies are talking in One Piece are either to come up with a plan based on current circumstances or between arcs where it's usually just the Strawhats themselves loving around, doing shenanigans for the sake of comedy.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
and then once they join they stop thinking at all and blindly worship rimuru as a perfect god

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

and then once they join they stop thinking at all and blindly worship rimuru as a perfect god

Yup. That's definitely an issue with this series so far.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Can't really deny that, but it's just kinda what we signed up for with this show. It ain't original, it isn't breaking new grounds or anything. It's just a guilty pleasure that at least avoids being god-awful tripe like In Another World with my Cellphone.

I'm just worried we'll get some kind of situation like the one with Recovery of an MMO Junkie.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mordaedil posted:

Can't really deny that, but it's just kinda what we signed up for with this show. It ain't original, it isn't breaking new grounds or anything. It's just a guilty pleasure that at least avoids being god-awful tripe like In Another World with my Cellphone.

I'm just worried we'll get some kind of situation like the one with Recovery of an MMO Junkie.

Where the author is a flaming racist?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

the good boy ragna murdered so many pigs he immediately went to the next level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Clarste posted:

Yup. That's definitely an issue with this series so far.

Not sure I quite follow. I mean the worship him as a God because from their POV, he basically IS a benevolent God to them asking for little more than loyalty in return for giving them so much more in return. Like it's not small improvements on life, but literal transcendental events to their lives.