Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Jodie is the best. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rvm
May 6, 2013
Caught up on seasons 8 and 9 of the revival, and I have a couple of thoughts.

Rachel Talalay is absolutely brilliant. Heaven Sent is the best directed Doctor Who episode (if not the best, period). She really needs to come back.

And, with all his self-indulgence, idiosyncrasies and borderline trolling, I do miss Moffat. The drop in quality between Series 9 (which is uneven, to put it nicely) and 11 is just depressing. Chibnall just doesn't have it.

Jodie Whittaker has way more presence and charisma in her twitter videos than in the actual episodes. I hope they'll let her bring some of it in the New Year's special at least.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
I can get why Chibnall cleaned house, but I would have loved to see more Rachel Talalay, Jamie Mathieson, and Sarah Dollard. They were behind a lot of my favorites of the Capaldi era and it’s a shame they weren’t asked to stick around.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Wheat Loaf posted:

One thing Barry Letts wanted to do was draw on Pertwee's loooooooong experience as an all-round music hall veteran; the stage-fighting was part of that but I remember the info-text subtitles from the "Spearhead from Space" dvd mentioning that they were also keen for the Third Doctor to do conjuring tricks, sing and play the guitar, all of which Pertwee was apparently quite good at. It's too bad we never saw much of that!

Sean Pertwee is absolutely wonderful as Alfred on Gotham, and does quite a few kickass fight scenes.
Now I NEED to see him take a shot or bite a sandwich in the middle of one. Like, I'm seriously going to shoot him an email and ask him to do it. Given that he dressed up as Three for Halloween one year, I think he'd be a good sport about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Some quite belated gifs from The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos (I really dislike that title)

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Jerusalem posted:

Some quite belated gifs from The Battle of Ranskoor Av Kolos (I really dislike that title)]

:same:

Where was the battle?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I forget exactly what the review I read of the episode said about the title, but it was something along the lines of "if it was by Russell T Davis there would have been a big high-stakes actual battle, and if it was by Steven Moffat there would have been some kind of wordplay or twist involved". It seems like a bit of a moot point to me, because neither one of them would have given one of their episodes that name in the first place

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
Moffat might have used "The Battle of..." if he could have called the planet something cute like "Forget-Me-Not." He also would have done more the with the whole "fucks with your head thing" and WHY ARE YOU SO poo poo AT FOLLOWING UP YOUR OWN IDEAS CHIBNALL

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Remember when Moffat called the town the episode was set in Christmas because it was a Christmas special, and they called the Doctor "the man who stayed for Christmas" :v:

What was that planet I think RTD named in one episode, Lovers Lament or something? It was a fun name for a planet anyway

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Woman Wept

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just caught up. Finale was a little meh but I'm assuming the New Year's episode will be more of a finale since it presumably won't be a Christmas Carrol rehash. All in all while this season was obviously less epic and "THE DOCTOR IS SAVING THE UNIVERSE" (even when she was) I'm pretty sure I prefer the smaller Doctor stories so I enjoyed it. And I very much like the new Doctor and think I took to her and her crew faster than any besides 11/the Ponds. They're not without flaws or gaps but I like "the fam" and that's most of what it takes to get me to enjoy their wacky space and time adventures.

Also I have no idea how Rosa was largely received but I really liked it and thought they did well with it, besides maybe Audra Day. And I'll give that a pass for trying to link it to something modern.

But if there isn't going to be another episode for over a year then I'm absolutely going to forget everything and lose all interest in Doctor Who again. I really don't understand UK TV schedules.

But I really do like this Doctor. And I can't say I always liked the previous doctors right off the bat.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I’d really like the trend of “Doctors regenerating in Christmas specials” to end with Jodie.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I’d really like the trend of “Doctors regenerating in Christmas specials” to end with Jodie.

I'd like to go even further- when she does regenerate (and may that be a good long time from now), it should be outside the TARDIS, not have the typical T-posing, maybe a different visual effect at last?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

2house2fly posted:

Remember when Moffat called the town the episode was set in Christmas because it was a Christmas special, and they called the Doctor "the man who stayed for Christmas" :v:

What was that planet I think RTD named in one episode, Lovers Lament or something? It was a fun name for a planet anyway

Rusty was really good at names.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Barry Foster posted:

There's a bit in an interview with Charlie Brooker where he talks about how he can just sit down and rattle off names and it bugs the poo poo out of some other writers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzZzOV9MF20&t=1715s

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Barry Foster posted:

“Crespallion's part of the Jaggit Brocade, affiliated to the Scarlet Junction, Convex fifty six.”

He’s great at evocative names.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

The_Doctor posted:

“Crespallion's part of the Jaggit Brocade, affiliated to the Scarlet Junction, Convex fifty six.”

He’s great at evocative names.

The Silver Devastation, the Nightmare Child, the Medusa Cascade

Yeah, he's great at it. So long as he doesn't actually depict them

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I wish we had some fun quirk of Chibnall's writing we could poke fun at. Every notable Doctor Who writer has at least one that makes you say "Oh (X), you card!" and Chibnall should be no different. More pop culture references, I don't give a poo poo!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

:same:

Where was the battle?

The battle was inside us all along. (And by "us" I mean Graham.)

I think I'm just going to refer to this episode as The Deadly Battle from now on.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The Battle...

of DEATH!

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

The_Doctor posted:

The Battle...

of DEATH!

*twang!*

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Edward Mass posted:

I wish we had some fun quirk of Chibnall's writing we could poke fun at. Every notable Doctor Who writer has at least one that makes you say "Oh (X), you card!" and Chibnall should be no different. More pop culture references, I don't give a poo poo!

I mean, we could all just end our sentences with no conclusion about 90% of the w

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Actually it would be more accurate if it seemed like I was building to an obvious concl-then something else happens.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Actually it would be more accurate if it seemed like I was building to an obvious concl-then something else but super mundane happens.

Fixed

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd like to go even further- when she does regenerate (and may that be a good long time from now), it should be outside the TARDIS, not have the typical T-posing, maybe a different visual effect at last?

The ming-ming imprisoned in my skull loves the consistency of the regeneration SFX, but yes please to the other two. Maybe it'll be time in a few years to do the Watcher again...

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

There's a bit in the Type 40 TARDIS Manual book that came out recently about a Time Lord's regeneration getting more and more violent and explosive the older they get, with recommendation that any Time Lord going through regen 6 or above to not do it inside their TARDIS.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

When I first watched the show and didn't know the Lore I thought the Doctor had to be inside the Tardis to do it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

There's a bit in the Type 40 TARDIS Manual book that came out recently about a Time Lord's regeneration getting more and more violent and explosive the older they get, with recommendation that any Time Lord going through regen 6 or above to not do it inside their TARDIS.

I like how the Doctor has not only ignored this, but now puts the TARDIS in flight with occupants inside each time they regenerate.

“If I’m going, you’re all going out with me!”

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

I’m really looking forward to this Christmas because every time there’s a new Doctor my family goes nuts with merch. This year I feel is going to be special because from what I’ve seen toy makers are having a real tough time replicating the new screwdriver because it’s so different looking, and my family always goes out of their way to get the new sonic specifically.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I like how the Doctor has not only ignored this, but now puts the TARDIS in flight with occupants inside each time they regenerate.

“If I’m going, you’re all going out with me!”

I feel like this is the Doctor actively trying to gently caress over their next incarnation like this now.

Twelve set up Thirteen that she straight up fell out of the TARDIS in flight, that's just a dick move.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

LeafyOrb posted:

I’m really looking forward to this Christmas because every time there’s a new Doctor my family goes nuts with merch. This year I feel is going to be special because from what I’ve seen toy makers are having a real tough time replicating the new screwdriver because it’s so different looking, and my family always goes out of their way to get the new sonic specifically.

There's two different toy 13th screwdrivers already. An American one and a UK one. American one has a spinning crystal, UK one is static (and better).

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Dec 23, 2018

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

It’s The Chimes of Midnight listening day! :toot:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Doctor posted:

It’s The Chimes of Midnight listening day! :toot:

I ran a D&D one-shot this week for the kids at work based on Edward Grove and plum pudding, they loved it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without Chimes of Midnight!

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Christmas just wouldn't be Christmas without Chimes of Midnight!

Everyone says so, Mrs. Badley. It just wouldn't be Christmas.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
And should anyone go into Christmas Special withdrawal tomorrow, you can always kick it old-school.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think they should have Salamander back. Reveal that he was actually a Time Lord all along. Now he calls himself "the Doctator".

Mr Beens
Dec 2, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

I just caught up. Finale was a little meh but I'm assuming the New Year's episode will be more of a finale since it presumably won't be a Christmas Carrol rehash. All in all while this season was obviously less epic and "THE DOCTOR IS SAVING THE UNIVERSE" (even when she was) I'm pretty sure I prefer the smaller Doctor stories so I enjoyed it. And I very much like the new Doctor and think I took to her and her crew faster than any besides 11/the Ponds. They're not without flaws or gaps but I like "the fam" and that's most of what it takes to get me to enjoy their wacky space and time adventures.

Also I have no idea how Rosa was largely received but I really liked it and thought they did well with it, besides maybe Audra Day. And I'll give that a pass for trying to link it to something modern.

But if there isn't going to be another episode for over a year then I'm absolutely going to forget everything and lose all interest in Doctor Who again. I really don't understand UK TV schedules.

But I really do like this Doctor. And I can't say I always liked the previous doctors right off the bat.

I prefer uk tv schedules where instead of making GBS threads 22 episodes out every year ( broken up randomly by archaic network restrictions) for the next 10 years no matter what because of a contract, release a manageable amount of episodes at a rate that is acceptable to the cast crew and budget. Do you forget everything about a movie series when there is not a new one every 3 months?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Mr Beens posted:

I prefer uk tv schedules where instead of making GBS threads 22 episodes out every year ( broken up randomly by archaic network restrictions) for the next 10 years no matter what because of a contract, release a manageable amount of episodes at a rate that is acceptable to the cast crew and budget. Do you forget everything about a movie series when there is not a new one every 3 months?

I don't think the movie thing is terribly similar since rewatching a film or retaining in the impact or details of one is considerably less of a time and interest investment than a TV season. But like I'm not saying I want Doctor Who to be 22 episodes either. Generally I probably prefer the more currently popular 13 episode or so format for a tighter bit of storytelling. But UK shows tend to have short season lengths and really long delays between shows. And maybe that's not true in general. Maybe its inflated in my head because I'm not in the UK so I tend to find out about shows or new seasons second or third hand here or somewhere else online. But like if the second season for a new Doctor is gonna be 12+ months after the first (and I don't know if "in 2020" means "early in 2020" or "the same time it aired in 2018 so really 2 years") then its just gonna be a long time for me to just consume a lot of other things and lose whatever connection I have to this.

I don't actually expect that to resonate with a lot of folks in this thread since obviously a lot of you are really big Doctor Who fans going back decades or including engaging in a lot of things other than the first run tv shows so the idea of you losing your investment or interest in Doctor Who is small. And like, maybe that's just the norm for most Doctor Who fans or the tradition of it in the UK or something. I'm not saying I'm the norm. I'm just saying, I enjoy the show well enough but I can't predict at all how I'll feel about it 12+ months from now when I probably won't have thought much about Doctor Who in that time.

But I'm definitely not saying "make 22 episodes and only take 3 months off." Just "more than a year between seasons seems like a lot."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I mean, the last time we had more than a year between Doctor Who episodes of any kind, it was canceled!