Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Christmas event is the only way to get Breen ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
I really hope that the Quentin Tarantino trek actually happens, but JJ is still somehow in control of the movie franchise (at least that's what I'm getting from sources on the net) and god forbid anything interesting or <gasp> original happens in one of this IP's.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I'd unironically read this and enjoy it

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i'm trying to make it through discovery and i just hate everything. does it get better? i'm on episode 7.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'd unironically read this and enjoy it

ok do it

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

i'm trying to make it through discovery and i just hate everything. does it get better? i'm on episode 7.

It stinks

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Let it die.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

it gets worse. i kind of enjoyed the groundhog day ep, but then i realized that i only enjoyed it because i hated every character on the show and wanted to watch them die.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
i like Star Trek

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Pick posted:

ok do it

If I can I will

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

you made it five more episodes than i did

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

There's a scene at the end of the season where the least lovely character gets high with Clint Howard but other than that there are basically no redeeming qualities

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it gets worse. i kind of enjoyed the groundhog day ep, but then i realized that i only enjoyed it because i hated every character on the show and wanted to watch them die.

i hate the characters so much. they are all completely unlikable, at first i thought i was supposed to hate them.

the fact that the show is dark and serious means that i have to take the story and the characters and their motivations seriously, and it's not at all good enough to justify that. not even close.

i really really hate it.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
People younger than me have told me Disco is great because it's dark and gritty. I thought we were past that and had moved on to life affirming positivity memes.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Animal-Mother posted:

People younger than me have told me Disco is great because it's dark and gritty. I thought we were past that and had moved on to life affirming positivity memes.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Animal-Mother posted:

What? No, this isn't how it was supposed to happen. Gen X was supposed to wallow in gritty for a few decades, then gen Y was supposed to lead us back to the well-lit promised land. We weren't supposed to raise our kids to like the grit.
:negative:

Kitchner
Nov 9, 2012

IT CAN'T BE BARGAINED WITH.
IT CAN'T BE REASONED WITH.
IT DOESN'T FEEL PITY, OR REMORSE, OR FEAR.
AND IT ABSOLUTELY WILL NOT STOP, EVER, UNTIL YOU ADMIT YOU'RE WRONG ABOUT WARHAMMER
Clapping Larry

Animal-Mother posted:

STD isn't even dark and gritty though in my opinion, it's just dumb.

Sisko being OK with Garak murdering several dudes to bring the Romulans into the war and realising he's OK with it after some soul searching is dark and gritty.

Having the entire federation bar like five planets conquered by the Klingons and then abandoning all your principles to carry out genocide against them is dumb.

The thing that was coolest which was just utterly wasted was an alien ship covered in the caskets of their dead. This would have been really cool if they hadn't made it a Klingon, who in literally every other show ever has treated a dead body like an empty vessel which doesn't matter as the warrior spirit has already left.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Spock with a band-aid, discuss

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
it's a space band aid

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
It's actually a Var'la, an ancient Vulcan device used to focus your uhhh telepathy or something

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

While zippers were considered outdated technology by 23rd Century standards, adhesive bandages survived well into the 24th Century.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Danaru posted:

It's actually a Var'la, an ancient Vulcan device used to focus your uhhh telepathy or something

lol

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I found this while looking up post-Locutus Picard

lol

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
tumblr has apparently survived and there's already star trek christmas art showing up on my feed and i think it is incredibly precious that decades after these shows aired, there are still women producing creative content and men whining :3: merry christmas one and all

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Pick posted:

Spock with a band-aid, discuss

its from playing with the props

numberoneposter fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 24, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
DS9 episode "Necessary Evil", Odo makes a personal log that's 95% making GBS threads on the Federation for making him start recording personal logs, followed by "Everything's under control" :allears: I love that grumpy old man

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
all the funnier that he's like experientially the youngest of the core cast. dukat has him solvin murders and he's like ten years old

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
what kind of encyclopedia-rear end brown bullshit is that to foist on a gingerbread man

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I'm so loving bored of grim and gritty reboots like Disco and it seems like people ten years younger than me just can't get enough of that bullshit. Is angst the new normal?

also happy holidays dear star trek thread, here's to another lovely season of lovely Trek i mean Disco and another great season of Good Trek i mean Orville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xAcYSIxQ4

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

barbecue at the folks posted:

I'm so loving bored of grim and gritty reboots like Disco and it seems like people ten years younger than me just can't get enough of that bullshit. Is angst the new normal?

also happy holidays dear star trek thread, here's to another lovely season of lovely Trek i mean Disco and another great season of Good Trek i mean Orville

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9xAcYSIxQ4

I dunno, seems pretty normal. As a child you're fed sugary feel good stuff so as a young adult you come to associate positivity with childishness and gravitate toward darker themes because you're trying to establish your sense of grown upness.

And then maybe later when your brain fully develops you realize how dumb the grimdark stuff was in retrospect.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Pick posted:

all the funnier that he's like experientially the youngest of the core cast. dukat has him solvin murders and he's like ten years old

yeah well kes was like 2 and neelix had her

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

simplefish posted:

yeah well kes was like 2 and neelix had her

Aatrek's favorite Star Trek moment

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kitchner posted:

The thing that was coolest which was just utterly wasted was an alien ship covered in the caskets of their dead. This would have been really cool if they hadn't made it a Klingon, who in literally every other show ever has treated a dead body like an empty vessel which doesn't matter as the warrior spirit has already left.
A Ferengi started a casket store on Qo'noS and didn't realize Klingon shops have neither windows nor window shopping, so some poor curious Klingon captain walked in and realized he HAD to buy something, might as well buy a thousand man-size death tokens and paste them onto his ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Bogus Adventure posted:

Aatrek's favorite Star Trek moment

It was supposed to be an unfinished sentence where your mind filled in the blank, but i suppose it works that way too